Hooiveld not missed by Celtic

Jeff Le Taxi

He played 7 games for them. What do they know? Was bought by a manager who was universally despised, got injured and then overlooked by a new manager whose decisions can only be described as erratic. Celtic is a basketcase.

True, he might turn out ****e; but that's why we've only loaned him till Jan.

Nope, he's not rated by them but it's a loan so we have a chance to have a look at him, and if this doesn't work we can go again for our targets in January.

I know what your saying but January is a long time away, if we are not in a decent position how can we possibly attract players of the calibre we could now

We have to give the lad a chance.

Trust me, I'd be undecided even if we'd signed their best defender and their fans were gutted it's such a poor standard, but who knows.

Not sure what you mean by that. CLEARLY people are going to give him a chance. It's just that on the surface it's not the inspiring walking into the first team type of signing that everyone expected.

He played 4 games at home for Celtic. Their fans haven't seen him play enough to warrant anything even close to a valid opinion on him as a player.

Those four games saw a 9-0 win, a 4-0 win, a 2-2 draw and a 2-1 win in the Champions League against Braga who went on to be runners up in the EUROPA League.

Edited by Matthew Le God

It's clear what I mean, the thread is about him not being missed or rated by Celtic, so give him a chance needs to be stated apparently.

On the surface it's a fcking dreadful signing. But on the surface we're often wrong. Hopefully. Christ, 99% of this forum is about being wrong afterall.

No, it's a fact. He isn't rated by Celtic fans at all clearly. That doesn't mean that people won't give him a chance. Heck, if he looks brilliant or even solid and better than what we have in his first few games I will say so, and I expect 99% of people will be the same way. It's just that on the surface it's not a very inspiring signing.

Yeah noone gave two Shiny ****s when Fuller,Delap,Dyer,Davies left but they all did pretty well in the premiership. Noone gave a flying fig when we signed Marsden, he was the don. Everyone creamed themselves over Skacel and he was donkey balls. Yep got to agree with myself on all of the above.

Not one positive comment on their forum. Sounds like another deadline day panic buy like Jonno Quick. Dont worry though we can't wit until January to do it all again and then be told we'll do our business

In the summer as prices are inflated in january.

Frankly puzzled. Hooiveld may well compete with Seaborne but from what has been written about him, he appears to be of a similar standard or possibly a little behind DS, whereas we already have Martin to compete and Jaidi as cover. It is just a loan, which does give extra cover againbst injury etc., and will allow another look in the market for January, but the club has already had all close season to look and hasn't been able to find or attract the extra quality signing that would strengthen the first team.

At the same time there appear to have been this string of unsuccessful striker bids aimed at quality players for a position where we already have quality but don't have depth. Personally, I'm glad they haven't brought in a name striker as RL and DC are doing an excellent job, but the cover of Guly and Forte looks light in comparison. So its puzzling that we have signed what looks like squad cover at CB where a quality player would have taken the pressure off Fonte and seem to have given up on the striker. Maybe they are thinking of an emergency loan if Barnard becomes unavailable but I did expect more to try to keep the good start going.

There are some tough games coming up and Adkins is never complacent so I wonder if it is Cortese who is holding back despite having the Chamberlain cash.

Lets face it. We've f*cked up 3 deals at the last minute for centre backs when it appears they are all ready to sign and are left with this Dutch mug who doesn't seem any better than what we have. We've failed with a succession of bids and deals for strikers so failed to strengthen in the areas nige has been trying to all summer. There are clearly some goons negotiating our deals, it's becoming embarrassing.

Not sure what you mean by that. CLEARLY people are going to give him a chance. It's just that on the surface it's not the inspiring walking into the first team type of signing that everyone expected.

Neither were Guly or Papa or Antonio but they're all loans that did a job for us, lets hope he is one of those and not a Stevens or N'gunssen (sp) (who has just been signed by Millwall for some reason).

Edited by doddisalegend

Lets face it. We've f*cked up 3 deals at the last minute for centre backs when it appears they are all ready to sign and are left with this Dutch mug who doesn't seem any better than what we have. We've failed with a succession of bids and deals for strikers so failed to strengthen in the areas nige has been trying to all summer. There are clearly some goons negotiating our deals, it's becoming embarrassing.

Everybody who bidded failed with Maynard - He was over-priced

We failed with Rodriguez because he wanted to stay at his home club - Nothing wrong with that at all. Matty did not want to move away from us after all...

We were outbid for Beckford..

So why we "failed" as you say with striker bids there were good reasons why we did fail - Nothing to do with any incompetence as you are perhaps suggesting.

How do you kow we've 'f*cked up 3 deals'? Maybe the players we were trying to sign decided to ask for ridiculous money on the back of the Chambo deal and Cortese, quite rightly, told them to feck off?

How do you kow we've 'f*cked up 3 deals'? Maybe the players we were trying to sign decided to ask for ridiculous money on the back of the Chambo deal and Cortese, quite rightly, told them to feck off?

As all three had medicals I would have thought that the finances had been resolved I understand that Nigel A is not at all happy with the situation and the club is losing credability with so many in the football world

Yeah noone gave two Shiny ****s when Fuller,Delap,Dyer,Davies left but they all did pretty well in the premiership. Noone gave a flying fig when we signed Marsden, he was the don. Everyone creamed themselves over Skacel and he was donkey balls. Yep got to agree with myself on all of the above.

I'm thinking you like to generalise. I could drive a truck through most of those arguments, but will leave it at pointing out that Dyer has played no more than 3 matches in the Prem to date, so judging whether he's done well or not is rather like Celtic fans slating Hooiveld - could be a bit premature.

At least one of those attempted deals (Jemal) happened before we sold Chamberlain.

This is assuming that it was one of the three, you could argue that Gorkss, Fontaine, Rodriguez, Maynard and Jemal is more than three, but compared to the others there's little evidence of any dealing with Maynard or Rodriguez.

EDIT: I see the original quote mentions "three centre backs" - Jemal was still prior to the Chamberlain transfer.

Anyway, next question, who's been left out of the Prem 25s who we can get hold of?

We failed with Rodriguez because he wanted to stay at his home club - Nothing wrong with that at all. Matty did not want to move away from us after all...

So why we "failed" as you say with striker bids there were good reasons why we did fail - Nothing to do with any incompetence as you are perhaps suggesting.

Gorkss, we f*cked about for two weeks or whatever. He was here, ready to sign - it didn't happen

Jemmel was here, ready to do the deal - it didn't happen

Fountaine was here had a medical ready to sign - it didn't happen.

SHarp - oh look another one - it didn't happen

Rodriguez - you seriously telling me that we chased a player for months, even up to the last day of the window, making bid etc and he didn't want to join us anyway?? What a waste of time and effort that was!!! Surely we'd have found this out earlier rather than wasting three months chasing him? Who is to blame for that immense f*ck up then?!!!

Dont worry though, we're left with our at best, 4th choice centre back who cant get anywhere near a team who would struggle to make top half of the championship and failed to strengthen the two area Nige clearly has been trying to all summer.

F*cking greedy players, f*cking greedy agents, f*cking greedy clubs. Despite what everyone else says, its not us it's them. Keep your heads in the sand everyone. We are brilliant at negotiating deals and here is the proof. We wont be held to ransom, not us. We are Southampton, w'll sign who we want.

In Cortese we trust.

Gorkss, we f*cked about for two weeks or whatever. He was here, ready to sign - it didn't happen

Rodriguez - you seriously telling me that we chased a player for months, even up to the last day of the window, making bid etc and he didn't want to join us anyway?? What a waste of time and effort that was!!! Surely we'd have found this out earlier rather than wasting three months chasing him? Who is to blame for that immense f*ck up then?!!!

Dont worry though, we're left with our at best, 4th choice centre back who cant get anywhere near a team who would struggle to make top half of the championship and failed to strengthen the two area Nige clearly has been trying to all summer.

F*cking greedy players, f*cking greedy agents, f*cking greedy clubs. Despite what everyone else says, its not us it's them. Keep your heads in the sand everyone. We are brilliant at negotiating deals and here is the proof. We wont be held to ransom, not us. We are Southampton, w'll sign who we want.

In Cortese we trust.

You obviously prefer the Ridsdale/Skate approach of paying over the odds for players, or the Lowe appraoch of paying over the odds for crocks ( Read Delgado and then Fontaine perhaps)..

Personally I prefer the Cortese way !

You obviously prefer the Ridsdale/Skate approach of paying over the odds for players, or the Lowe appraoch of paying over the odds for crocks ( Read Delgado and then Fontaine perhaps)..

Personally I prefer the Cortese way !

Where did i say that? It seems we had fees ageed for the 5 mentioned above. I'd prefer the way most clubs do it and that when we have a player that is about to sign they actually complete the deal, or not chase players that aren't going to join us anyway!

In Cortese we trust.

Good post.

Well, no it is not clear. You only have to read the transfer thread to see people writing him off already.

Read the post from the guy who saw him play in Sweden.(Below)

Originally Posted by icehagman View Post

Hooiveld might very well be a terrific signing for us, even though it is only on loan. He made an excellent name for himself here in Sweden 2009 when he was one of the key contributors when his club AIK become swedish champions. In fact, he played so well he became nominated to the "defender of the year"-award in swedish football. (An award who was won by swedish international Olof Mellberg)

I watched quite a lot matches when he played, and he impressed me a lot. A big and powerful player, with decent passing skills. Not the fastest defender you have seen, but not too slow either. I highly doubt he has become that much worse in just a few seasons, although injuries have trouble him a lot.

As I pointed out on twitter last night, both Charlie Adam and Antti Niemi left the Old Firm considered as failures....

....let's see how he plays for us.

Well said. The usual suspects will write players off because he's come from SPL Team even though none of them have seen him play or watch scottish football. I don't remember anyone writing off our new left back Fox when he was signed as he played for Celtic not long ago. Don't remember Man Utd being worried about ex Celtic player Henrik Larrson when he was in his mid 30's or Wigan signing Maloney from Celtic yesterday who was not a regular starter for Celtic. The modern football fan wants instant success and big name signings i'm afraid. I'd rather have a talented youngster playing his heart out for Saints or a promising lower league player who has something to prove etc rather than an over paid over the hill ex premier league player. West Ham are welcome to the likes of Bentley (i'm too tired to play for England u21's) I think the likes of them and Leicester are gambling the future of their clubs on promotion this season and will be fooked if they fail.

We didn't want him for some reason, that'd down to NA, maybe he didn't click with NA, who knows. Is bizarre nontheless

Wanted information that we weren't prepared to give him and he threw his toys out of his pram, he could have asked his agent for the information

He failed the medical or we weren't prepared to take a risk on his dodgy ankle

NA again rejected him after trying to dicuss terms, maybe he wanted too mch money, maybe he wanted to be the top boy, whatever NA didn't want him, he's the manager

We're not allowed to talk to a player until the the clubs have agreed terms, once Burnley accepted our bid they informed the player, he siad he didn't want to come, simples.

In Cortese we trust.

Not keeping my head in the sand but I can see the bigger picture. The club don't want to bankrupt themselves with stupid wages and Nigel doens't want to upset the balance of the squad by signing a load of "egos" and by paying larger wages.

Where did i say that? It seems we had fees ageed for the 5 mentioned above. I'd prefer the way most clubs do it and that when we have a player that is about to sign they actually complete the deal, or not chase players that aren't going to join us anyway!

I would suggest that most deals are not concluded by most clubs - You only hear of the ones publically that close and not the great many that don't.

Fees might be agreed with another club to talk but why close a deal if in the course of negotiation something appears that is not right ( A kickback perhaps or a medical revealing a dodgy ankle) !

God save us from recruiting players that are not right for the club after all.

We didn't want him for some reason, that'd down to NA, maybe he didn't click with NA, who knows. Is bizarre nontheless

Wanted information that we weren't prepared to give him and he threw his toys out of his pram, he could have asked his agent for the information

He failed the medical or we weren't prepared to take a risk on his dodgy ankle

NA again rejected him after trying to dicuss terms, maybe he wanted too mch money, maybe he wanted to be the top boy, whatever NA didn't want him, he's the manager

We're not allowed to talk to a player until the the clubs have agreed terms, once Burnley accepted our bid they informed the player, he siad he didn't want to come, simples.

Not keeping my head in the sand but I can see the bigger picture. The club don't want to bankrupt themselves with stupid wages and Nigel doens't want to upset the balance of the squad by signing a load of "egos" and by paying larger wages.

Like i said, its all them, not us. F*cking players hey!!

This can't be so. Turkish equates it to a person changing jobs from Tesco to Asda if they were offered an extra quid an hour, so apart from Beckford, why didn't these players come to us?

This can't be so. Turkish equates it to a person changing jobs from Tesco to Asda if they were offered an extra quid an hour, so apart from Beckford, why didn't these players come to us?

We should have gone for Messi. It's entirely possible he'd have signed, afterall they did say man would never climb Everest didn't they.

You really ought to learn to read properly, not skim read...

Sorry, so who is to blame for us trying to sign injured players and players that dont want to join us anyway? In the case of Rodriguez surely we could have sounded his agent out and see if he would at least talk to us? Or did we just put in turned down bid after turned down bid for a player who we had no idea wanted to join us or not, or did we just f*ck another one up at the last minute? WHo knows!!

Edited by Turkish

Sorry, so who is to blame for us trying to sign injured players and players that dont want to join us anyway?

How do we know the extent of a player's injury until we have him in for a medical? And we can't do a medical until we've had a bid accepted!

Owen Hargreaves has signed for Man ****ty, would you have done that knowing his past injury record?

How do we know a player doesn't want to sign for us until we talk to him? And we can't talk to him until we've had a bid accepted!

Read the post from the guy who saw him play in Sweden.(Below)

Originally Posted by icehagman View Post

Hooiveld might very well be a terrific signing for us, even though it is only on loan. He made an excellent name for himself here in Sweden 2009 when he was one of the key contributors when his club AIK become swedish champions. In fact, he played so well he became nominated to the "defender of the year"-award in swedish football. (An award who was won by swedish international Olof Mellberg)

I watched quite a lot matches when he played, and he impressed me a lot. A big and powerful player, with decent passing skills. Not the fastest defender you have seen, but not too slow either. I highly doubt he has become that much worse in just a few seasons, although injuries have trouble him a lot.

Of course i'll support him, just like I 'won't get on Seabornes back. I hope he does come good. When I do go to games i'm usually too hammered to know who's good and who's bad anyway. It's a team sport and if someone is playing below par then it's up to the others to raise them and their own game. All this looking for scapegoats is crap.

Edited by dune

I seem to remember us signing 3 decent players during the transfer window. So what if we didn't sign more? Judging from what I've seen so far (and unlike some of the moaners around here, I've been to every game this season) we are a good enough team to easily finish in the top half with what we have.

Turkish is surely on a wind up on this thread.

How do we know the extent of a player's injury until we have him in for a medical? And we can't do a medical until we've had a bid accepted!

Owen Hargreaves has signed for Man ****ty, would you have done that knowing his past injury record?

How do we know a player doesn't want to sign for us until we talk to him? And we can't talk to him until we've had a bid accepted!

So we had no idea FOuntaine was injured, lol!! We had no idea Rodriguez had no intention of joining us did we? lol!! Given the Ellot Ward debarcle as well i cant believe some of you cant see anything wrong, there is a clear pattern. Clubs coming out and slagging us off for the way we do business, agents saying we are difficult to deal with. I know some of you like to spin it but it doesn't take a genius to piece together the little snippets and see the pattern there is. It's all them, not us isnt it, time after time after time.

So we had no idea FOuntaine was injured, lol!! We had no idea Rodriguez had no intention of joining us did we? lol!! Given the Ellot Ward debarcle as well i cant believe some of you cant see anything wrong, there is a clear pattern. Clubs coming out and slagging us off for the way we do business, agents saying we are difficult to deal with. I know some of you like to spin it but it doesn't take a genius to piece together the little snippets and see the pattern there is. It's all them, not us isnt it, time after time after time.

TSW posters are famous for being happy clappy fingers in their ears types. You are wasting your time.

So what if we didn't sign more? Judging from what I've seen so far (and unlike some of the moaners around here, I've been to every game this season) we are a good enough team to easily finish in the top half with what we have.

Turkish is surely on a wind up on this thread.

It's a valid discussion considering up until yesterday we were looking to sign permanent deals for a centre half and a forward. Adkins obviously wanted to bring a couple of quality players in.

TSW posters are famous for being happy clappy fingers in their ears types. You are wasting your time.

I don't doubt that we are difficult to deal with but I also don't think (and am happy we don't) lie down, turn over, spread our butt cheeks and ask how deep they'd like to go.

And yet we have managed to sign some decent players and the players that are here ahev all signed new long term contracts, except Puncheon.

Maybe that says something about the type of player that we want.

What would you really have is do, break the bank so that we get in a load of prima donnas or players that don't really want to be there, upset the rest of squad and **** all the hard work that has been done (building squad harmony) up the wall.

Do you really want us to be in League 1 again, seriously?