How much does it cost to run the floodlights at SMS?

Window Cleaner

For comparison and/or extrapolation.....here's the floodlight stats for Man City's stadium:

Q. What wattage are the floodlights?

A. There are approximately 218 floodlights in the stadium each using 2000 watts. In total they produce 436,000 watts then they are all on - roughly the amount produced by 130 kettles being on at the same time!

Over to the mathematicians to work out the 'per season' spend....

For comparison and/or extrapolation.....here's the floodlight stats for Man City's stadium:

A. There are approximately 218 floodlights in the stadium each using 2000 watts. In total they produce 436,000 watts then they are all on - roughly the amount produced by 130 kettles being on at the same time!

Works out at about £80 quid a game, can't be right.

218x2Kx2 (hours) =872 kw/hoursx0.10£= 87.20£

The cost per kwH is a bit more these days - the average back in 2006 was 11.89p (according to this site), and we've seen significant increases since then, so I'd possibly go as far as to say it's nearly doubled. Therefore assume 20p per kwH, which would make £174.40 just to power the floodlights for two hours.

While it doesn't sound a lot, consider that a lot of people wouldn't necessarily use that much energy in their home in a month...

That said, the energy prices clearly aren't going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back in terms of our debt levels!

Right. Using Man City as a comparison – I haven’t been to their ground but it should be a fair comparison:

436,000 Watts is the ‘running rate’.

If all bulbs are burning for one hour then they would consume 436 Kilowatt Hours.

Business ‘lecy rates are higher than households pay. But using households figure, I pay about 22p per Kwh.

So to run the lights for one hour = 436 * .22p = £95.92

The lights will be burning from (at least) 6pm until (at least) 10pm which is 4 hours.

So I reckon, back of the envelope and only using household prices, that it costs about £400 per night game.

The cost per kwH is a bit more these days - the average back in 2006 was 11.89p (according to this site), and we've seen significant increases since then, so I'd possibly go as far as to say it's nearly doubled. Therefore assume 20p per kwH, which would make £174.40 just to power the floodlights for two hours.

While it doesn't sound a lot, consider that a lot of people wouldn't necessarily use that much energy in their home in a month...

That said, the energy prices clearly aren't going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back in terms of our debt levels!

Are UK energy prices really that high.

Need some Nuclear then.

In France 3p/KWh off peak (8 hours/day)

6p/KWh peak.

But the the bigger your 'installation' the bigger your fixed charge is.

Domestic 9 KW is about a tenner a month.

It was on their OS...therefore must be true....

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={54FBBD35-A993-48CC-971E-875760E6B67A}

ah, hang on a minute....bit of a flaw in my logic there....i.e. assuming football club websites always tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth....

The wattage sounds plausible. The kettles don't. 436KW would be enough to power about 900 houses for the duration of the game. It is estimated a medium size house uses 470W on average.

The wattage sounds plausible. The kettles don't. 436KW would be enough to power about 900 houses for the duration of the game. It is estimated a medium size house uses 470W on average.

Our kettle is 1.5 KW, so you'd need about 285 to make up the same wattage as the floodlights. Mind you there are no doubt more powerful ones around.

Man City have plans to power their lights with a wind turbine. Obviously it would be linked to the Grid so the lights would work when there is no wind and the club can sell the power to the grid whenever the wind is blowing.

Some of the antis have come up with the objection that ice may be thrown from the rotating blades and will land on spectators!

Man City have plans to power their lights with a wind turbine. Obviously it would be linked to the Grid so the lights would work when there is no wind and the club can sell the power to the grid whenever the wind is blowing.

Some of the antis have come up with the objection that ice may be thrown from the rotating blades and will land on spectators!

Eolians are pretty noisy,would certainly drown their fans out.

Your average wind turbine arm makes about as much noise as a chain saw.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Good idea for ST.Mary's, might keep a few of us awake.

Wnid power is a myth. It is heavily subsidised thorugh the Renewable Obligations Contract (ROC) and if that was taken away then it would not be economically feasible to build windmills. I'm all for clean, green non-russian-mafia-based energy but wind ain't the solution. Nuclear is the only way to go. F@ck the CND brigade. I want my lights to stay on.

Wnid power is a myth. It is heavily subsidised thorugh the Renewable Obligations Contract (ROC) and if that was taken away then it would not be economically feasible to build windmills. I'm all for clean, green non-russian-mafia-based energy but wind ain't the solution. Nuclear is the only way to go. F@ck the CND brigade. I want my lights to stay on.

What CND brigade. We have a majority of nuclear in France along with some

Hydraulic. Nobody moans about it and certainly nobody moans about the cost.

Seeing as they moan about everything else it must be a bit of alright.

I feel a revolt coming on

What CND brigade. We have a majority of nuclear in France along with some

Hydraulic. Nobody moans about it and certainly nobody moans about the cost.

Seeing as they moan about everything else it must be a bit of alright.

Yeah, but the French are sensible. Unfortunately there are still people in Blighty, usually on the left politically, who seem to think that all we have to do is shove a few windmills on a few hills and hey presto our carbon emissions are reduced and the lights stay on. An utter load of b0ll0x. The annual UK energy consumption grows at a steady 5% - this figure from the DTI. Even if a windmill was built every day the additional amount of power that would be produced - optimum that is, when the wind actual blows at 5 or 6 on the beaufort scale - would be still no where near to cover the increase in annual consumption, let alone eat into the existing power consumption. Wind is a pipe dream, and a political cuddly toy - it makes the d!ck heads in Westminster seam as though they are 'in touch'. Rubbish, we need to sort our energy base out in a mature, adult way looking at hard facts and stop this wind nonsense. Rant over!

Watt, watt's that you say.

Well shocking it may be, but at least this thread is current.

I remember many years ago being at a lower division winter afternoon game somewhere (not saints) where the ref insisted the lights were turned on just before half time, and the club were furious, saying that the extra power usage, with them therefore being on during the half time break too, cost them hundreds of pounds more than turning them on for just the second half as they usually did-- money they couldn't afford.

K.

Hi Phil. I meant to say that.

No problem. Had a sudden Surge in my attention span. I went to the DHL office to send some papers to UK but it was closed so had to use UPS instead, it was a useful Back-Up.

I don't generatorally have these problems, but I wanted to get it all done this afternoon in case somebody Spikes my drink at Rock Bottom tonight.

Anyway, for those ITK I was going to post about the damage since we lost the Powerchute payments but decided that would get too dull.

I remember many years ago being at a lower division winter afternoon game somewhere (not saints) where the ref insisted the lights were turned on just before half time, and the club were furious, saying that the extra power usage, with them therefore being on during the half time break too, cost them hundreds of pounds more than turning them on for just the second half as they usually did-- money they couldn't afford.

K.

Yep, I'm not sure that the consumption cost on a 600 KW (or higher) set up

would be the same as on a 9KW domestic scheme.

The electricity board needs to put down enormous cables for that and it has a cost which they pass on to the user.

On occasions we haven't used the undersoil heating because it was too expensive and yet I doubt that it would be more than 400Kilowatts.

Yeah, but the French are sensible. Unfortunately there are still people in Blighty, usually on the left politically, who seem to think that all we have to do is shove a few windmills on a few hills and hey presto our carbon emissions are reduced and the lights stay on. An utter load of b0ll0x. The annual UK energy consumption grows at a steady 5% - this figure from the DTI. Even if a windmill was built every day the additional amount of power that would be produced - optimum that is, when the wind actual blows at 5 or 6 on the beaufort scale - would be still no where near to cover the increase in annual consumption, let alone eat into the existing power consumption. Wind is a pipe dream, and a political cuddly toy - it makes the d!ck heads in Westminster seam as though they are 'in touch'. Rubbish, we need to sort our energy base out in a mature, adult way looking at hard facts and stop this wind nonsense. Rant over!

Manc City want to install a 2MW turbine. Research shows that turbines in the UK produce about 25% of that on average due to wind variance. Given that they would be using the turbine for a very small percent of the time in any week a turbine would work well for them and most other football clubs as the excess can always be sold. A turbine costs about £1.5m to install and has a planned life of 25 years. Believe me, I know these things!!!

K.

Indeed K, do you remember the 70's with the power cuts and the 3 day week. I remember playing for Saints reserves at Stamford Bridge on a tuesday afternoon.Second half it was that dark Chopper Harris crept up on me and converted me into row z.Power.. ful man Chopper.:smt010

Indeed K, do you remember the 70's with the power cuts and the 3 day week. I remember playing for Saints reserves at Stamford Bridge on a tuesday afternoon.Second half it was that dark Chopper Harris crept up on me and converted me into row z.Power.. ful man Chopper.:smt010

I went to that game, I was at Imperial College at the time.

'Wnid power' is not a 'myth'. Yes it is currently heavily subsidised but so is every other power lobby.

What kind of 'subsidisation' (cost) is hidden in Nuclear power? The Nuke lobby is far better funded than eco-power lobbies - for the moment at least - and also has a fifty year start on alternative energy sources in terms of RnD and Deployment.

Build costs for Nuclear are staggeringly huge and can only be justified on a large scale (eg current plans for new UK power stations require an absolute minimum of six stations to built to meet cost expectations) and subsequent running costs are simply NOT figured into the cost per watt.

Clean up and disposal falls to Governments and therefor the tax payer. This is a massive hidden charge.

None of this mentions the safety angle, which probably need not bother us - but your Grand Kids might not be too happy with our 'state-of-the-art' nuclear power stations, in much the same way most Londoners are less than impressed with victorian 'state-of-the-art' water and sewage systems.

Small scale Wind (and other renewable enegy sources) are in the early days of development and deployment in the modern world, but are already showing signs of adequetely replacing Grid power. As demand and need rises, production improves and increases, economy 'acts on a scale' and the price comes down.

I hate the idea that people still see Nuclear power as 'clean', when it is about the dirtiest power there is. If you want to make sure your lights stay on you'd ideally get your own power source in your home.

'Wnid power' is not a 'myth'. Yes it is currently heavily subsidised but so is every other power lobby.

What kind of 'subsidisation' (cost) is hidden in Nuclear power? The Nuke lobby is far better funded than eco-power lobbies - for the moment at least - and also has a fifty year start on alternative energy sources in terms of RnD and Deployment.

Build costs for Nuclear are staggeringly huge and can only be justified on a large scale (eg current plans for new UK power stations require an absolute minimum of six stations to built to meet cost expectations) and subsequent running costs are simply NOT figured into the cost per watt.

Clean up and disposal falls to Governments and therefor the tax payer. This is a massive hidden charge.

None of this mentions the safety angle, which probably need not bother us - but your Grand Kids might not be too happy with our 'state-of-the-art' nuclear power stations, in much the same way most Londoners are less than impressed with victorian 'state-of-the-art' water and sewage systems.

Small scale Wind (and other renewable enegy sources) are in the early days of development and deployment in the modern world, but are already showing signs of adequetely replacing Grid power. As demand and need rises, production improves and increases, economy 'acts on a scale' and the price comes down.

I hate the idea that people still see Nuclear power as 'clean', when it is about the dirtiest power there is. If you want to make sure your lights stay on you'd ideally get your own power source in your home.

Spot on. The govt so far has spent and plans to spend £85bn decommissioning nuclear power stations and storing the waste safely.