Gazumping

Millbrook Saint

Gazump em back, then pull out.

Any decent estate agent would not get involved in gazumping, name and shame them...

I got gazumped, so I upped my offer gazumping them, then after a few weeks when the gazumpers had found somewhere else I lowered my offer to £1,000 less than my orginal one telling the vendors why and that I was going to give the difference to charity. It was worth it for the look on the agents face.

I once turned down a gazumping offer on the house I was selling, having given my word on the original price as I saw it. Gave me a warm moral glow, but it was a bloody expensive glow!

Me too - I had three couples after my house, two offering a lot more than the original offer. All three sent by one estate agent! But I stuck with the original offer, my philosophy being 'I wouldn't want it done to me'.

I know it may be out of kilter with some personal preferences' date=' but some solicitors that operate online (and I'm talking legit arms of known companies) have a guarantee of no completion, no fees (apart from disbursements).[/quote']

Very true - and not always online solicitors. We had that deal for our last sale and purchase, arranged through the estate agent.

But he still would have had to pay out survey fees, even if he'd had such a deal with a solicitor.

I happened to me where the old cow we were buying from pulled out at the last moment without any reason costing me about £3,000. When a offer is accepted, both parties should be required to lodge a couple of thousand quid with the solicitors which can then be handed over if the other party pulls out

There is insurance available against this, as I recall (it was 11 years ago when we last moved) it was pretty cheap. We bought ours through our solicitor (Eric Robinsons, but I wouls assume other solicitors would offer it). It saved us a fortune - twice. We lost the buyers for our house & we also pulled out of a purchase, it paid out both times.

It's done a bit differently here.

A property has a viewing and everyone interested puts their name on a list. Then they all start bidding and everyone on the list is kept updated. There can be quite a bit of brinkmanship involved eg "I bid 500k but this offer only stays on the table until 5 o' clock" It can all be pretty exciting, but properties often end up going for far over the original listed price.

I had a house built in the end and am glad I avoided that stress, although it gave me a whole list of different things to stress about.