M27 - Average Speed Cameras

L

How do they work? Do they take a shot of you through the first one and then through the last one and work out your average speed from how long it took you to get through or is it just an average of your speed through the cameras ie. if i did 50 through the first camera then sped up to 80 but slowed down to 50 to go through the last camera my average was clocked at 50? anyone know?

they are fakes

It's simple, It calculates the time you take to go through each camera. If you speed up between it knows

And the cameras would be linked and have timings on the shot. Simple visual proof.

Although in this case, I'm inclined to agree with ol' Visage himself.

They don't work if you change lane.

Jeremy Vine interviewed some road minister (Or another silly title) and asked him if it was true that they only work if you stay in same lane, the guy admitted it was and Vine burst out laughing

Lol that's brilliant. Very well thought through obviously.

It is not the cameras themselves that only work if you stay in the same lane, but the Home Office approval for them... when they were certified the design spec was for cameras that monitored one lane only... therefore they were given approval on meeting that requirement.

So, a legal prosecution can only be made for same-lane infringements. Others could be challenged and rejected because of the approval given to the cameras. But there are circumstances where prosecutions can be made so it's not black and white.

The actual technology can easily capture cars across all three lanes. It works on number plate recognition, and times the difference between capture of a registration at any pair of cameras. The same technology that is now used in many car parks to catch people who don't buy a ticket.

Irrespective of all that, the amount of drivers who clearly don't understand the meaning of the word 'average' never ceases to amaze me though. Slowing down when they see a camera and then speeding up again. Retards.

Edited by Minty

Irrespective of all that, the amount of drivers who clearly don't understand the meaning of the word 'average' never ceases to amaze me though. Slowing down when they see a camera and then speeding up again. Retards.

Which was my first question. Average speed through the cameras or average speed for the stretch of road? Both examples would give an average reading.

A single fixed camera cannot record an average speed without reference marks (hence white lines painted on the road for traditional flash cameras). They take two pictures at specified intervals and then work out your speed accordingly... that's pretty much an 'instant' speed. OK, so you could argue that it's an average speed over the distance of the markers on the road, but they cover about 25m maximum.

The only way a single camera can record an average speed is if it is of the mobile type used by police that uses a reflected beam to measure the speed at which you are moving towards or away from the camera, and hence needs to be moved to follow the car.

So as you'll have worked out, the average speed cameras such as those on the M27 measure the speed between the two cameras, and therefore over that stretch of road.

Edited by Minty

Another good reason to have a Bike the cameras are forward facing and no numberplate on the front of a bike.

Unless you ride like that knob in the Echo a few weeks ago who kept doing wheelies or speeding past the same camera.

Yeah, I followed a bike out of town this week and he was quite happy to set off the Truvelo camera at the top of Maybray King Way.

A single fixed camera cannot record an average speed without reference marks (hence white lines painted on the road for traditional flash cameras). They take two pictures at specified intervals and then work out your speed accordingly... that's pretty much an 'instant' speed. OK, so you could argue that it's an average speed over the distance of the markers on the road, but they cover about 25m maximum.

The only way a single camera can record an average speed is if it is of the mobile type used by police that uses a reflected beam to measure the speed at which you are moving towards or away from the camera, and hence needs to be moved to follow the car.

So as you'll have worked out, the average speed cameras such as those on the M27 measure the speed between the two cameras, and therefore over that stretch of road.

I was under the impression with a Gatso cam that the roadmarkings were merely an added corrolary to an already acceptable 2 cam shot at a very short fixed interval.

I was under the impression with a Gatso cam that the roadmarkings were merely an added corrolary to an already acceptable 2 cam shot at a very short fixed interval.

Correct, the camera doesn't need any markings to determine the speed but to be prosecuted for it there need to be visible markings on the road as a comparitor.

And those same numpties cause the traffic to stop 2 miles back in the roadworks for no reason.

The Dutch bloke Mr Gatso invented the speed cameras for motor racing purposes, but then the Dutch authorities realised that it could be used to police speeding motorists on the open road. Mr Gatso's best friend got prosecuted after being caught on one of them and never spoke to him again

Considering i have been on endless seminars and expo's showing off these camera's i can confirm the newer ones can detect a car moving lanes.

Did you forget to go on the seminar that talked about the licensing agreement and what the home office approved them for ?