Happy Birthday Big Ron - 70 on Friday

StInky

As we head back to the Premier League let’s give thanks to the man who scored 37 goals in 41 matches back in 1966/7, our first ever season in the top flight and his first season with Saints, Ronald Tudor Davies.

We finished the season in 19th place with 74 goals for. Ron scored half of them and was the division’s top scorer, heading Geoff Hurst and Jimmy Greaves. That season also saw the debut of Mike Channon.

Exciting days. Then . . . . . and now!

Thanks Big Ron and HAPPY BIRTHDAY for Friday.

As we head back to the Premier League let’s give thanks to the man who scored 37 goals in 41 matches back in 1966/7, our first ever season in the top flight and his first season with Saints, Ronald Tudor Davies.

We finished the season in 19th place with 74 goals for. Ron scored half of them and was the division’s top scorer, heading Geoff Hurst and Jimmy Greaves. That season also saw the debut of Mike Channon.

Exciting days. Then . . . . . and now!

Thanks Big Ron and HAPPY BIRTHDAY for Friday.

Great player and gentleman too.Brings back fond memories of all those wonderful headers and the four he scored against Man u and Aston Villa. By the way Channon made his debur the previous season against Bristol City...and scored. Rember that game as Atyeo the Bristol City Centre Forward was still wearing hard capped boots that required dubbin (pre war vintage)v

Happy Birthday to a player who made my early Saints supporting days so exciting - a real Saints idol whose scoring feats gave us 'yoof' some kind of bragging rights as we had the top scorer in Division One!

Great days, great man - thanks Big Ron - have the best of days!

Yep.Big Ron was quite a player. Those headers in the top corner will live with me forever. Happy Birthday.

Remember an interview with him at that time, when asked why he was so good in the air. He replied it was all in the timing i.e. not jumping too early! He was certainly a master.

Happy Birthday Ron.

Did he ever get his hip replacement sorted?

Thanks to the generosity of Saints fans around the world and of the Club and some hard work by Tijuana Tim and Ron's wife Chris, Ron had both hips replaced a couple of years ago.

Great player and gentleman too. Brings back fond memories of all those wonderful headers and the four he scored against Man U and Aston Villa. By the way Channon made his debut the previous season against Bristol City...and scored.

Remember that game as Atyeo the Bristol City Centre Forward was still wearing hard capped boots that required dubbin (pre war vintage)v

You forgot to mention the 4 goals he got against Chelsea... in August 1967.

and dare we also mention those two hat-tricks in that first season; v. Leicester and Burnley !

though ..if you're talking about consistancy what about the 20 times he scored 2 goals in a league game, and despite all the legendary tales, they weren't all with his head either. He could score with either foot, and took a pretty good penalty, too.

153 goals in 277 matches is a phenomenal % strike rate for someone in a team that spent much of its time trying to avoid relegation.

Edited by david in sweden

A very Happy Birthday for friday to my Hero as a nipper. Big Ron was simply the icon of his era for all Saints fans. When i played in a kick about i was always him when i scored & another player when i missed. God bless you Ron, A real Saints legend!

One of the greatest Saints ever has his BD on Friday. I will read him your (appropriate) greetings as I do every year. He is having a rough time now and if you have any good memories that you want to share to cheer him up that would be great.

Happy birthday big man. Never seen anyone since who could out-jump an unimpeded keeper reaching for the ball and head it in the net. As a young kid, I thought that was the norm and couldn't understand why no-one else could jump so high.

Message to NC - When are we going to see Ron over here as a matchday guest? Surely something we can afford to do now we're back in the Prem.

His Name is Ronny Davies

He's the leader of the team

The greatest centre forward that the world has ever seen

you always can rely on Ron to score the vital goal

and as for all the rest of them

you can stick um up your h*le

Give it to Ronnie,

Give it to Ronnie,

On his HHHHHHHHHead

On his HHHHHHHHHead.

One of the greatest Saints ever has his BD on Friday. I will read him your (appropriate) greetings as I do every year. He is having a rough time now and if you have any good memories that you want to share to cheer him up that would be great.

Sorry to hear that.

One of my great heroes when I was a kid.

Ron is absolutely elated and feels as he says "very humble" about everyone remembering him so positively. He really appreciates the the love, respect and memories. Genuine thanks from Big Ron, this has been immensely morale-boosting to him!!

Gratefully TT

In times like this, when the word 'legend' is bandied about so freely, it's worth remembering what it really means. Ron Davies is a truly legendary Saints player, one of the all-time greats. Can anyone imagine us fielding the best centre-forward in Europe? With Ron we did just that.

Happy birthday Ron - once a legend, always a legend.

His Name is Ronny Davies

He's the leader of the team

The greatest centre forward that the world has ever seen

you always can rely on Ron to score the vital goal

and as for all the rest of them

you can stick um up your h*le

Apart from nursery rhymes I think that was the first song I ever knew - certainly the first 'rude' song! To kids of my generation growing up in the So'ton area Ron was THE hero. Happy birthday Ron - would love it if it could be arranged for him to come over, or better still, a testimonial game

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RON! My Mum broke her leg in a crush at the Milton, and the very next day you came round to see her and wish her well. You were her hero and my idol. I couldn't believe this giant who walked into our house was actually "Big Ron" himself! I was only about 11 but remember it vividly. We lived in Ropley Close (Weston), which was right next to the old Halo Club, so whether he was on his way for a beer (a few of the team used to go there), I am not sure, but at least he made the effort, and the fact he stayed for a while and had a chat with us all, made him even bigger in our eyes! A top man, and an amazing player.