Tablet PC help needed

Golactico

I’m looking for some advice on buying a Tablet PC for my wife’s birthday. I don’t own a Smart phone so am not familiar with the world of Apps etc.

The main thing that she wants the tablet for is to watch BBC iPlayer/ITV Player/4OD.

I had virtually decided on this one:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/archos-arnova-10b-g3-tablet-4gb-12818435-pdt.html

but then I read a review saying that there is no Iplayer App on it. Doesn’t internet access gives you access to all of the catch up TV channels though? Why do you need a specific App? (this is probably a daft question - sorry)

Grateful for any advice.

If you buy a tablet with a high enough specification you will be able to watch iPlayer through the internet browser. A specific app shouldn't be required.

As that tablet is enabled with the latest Android Operating system it should work fine. It also appears to run flash player, it should do you proud.

Incidentally, be sure to bookmark the website TVCatchup.com. Allows you to watch any freeview channel live.

Edited by Colinjb

With joy over the money he saved and the sod all difference between the performance

So, on that logic, you'll be buying a Reading season ticket instead of a Saints one then...? They are cheaper after all and you'll get to see a similar quality of football...or maybe some choices are just down to good old fashioned subjective human preference rather than science or logic... ;-)

So, on that logic, you'll be buying a Reading season ticket instead of a Saints one then...? They are cheaper after all and you'll get to see a similar quality of football...or maybe some choices are just down to good old fashioned subjective human preference rather than science or logic... ;-)

Oh there are some ways of making a point... and there's overstepping the line!!! :scared:

Yes, subjectivity is an important thing.... it's why some of us don't just jump through a hoop and buy an Apple product. Every time a thread like this comes up about tablets the usual fanboys pipe up about iPads even though they are not being asked about! iPads are excellent devices but they are not perfect... the personal preference you describe is why people do look at other things! And just because they do they and the items they are looking at... which are perfectly good piees of kit... do not need to be shouted down in immature insulting terms!

Oh there are some ways of making a point... and there's overstepping the line!!! :scared:

Yes, subjectivity is an important thing.... it's why some of us don't just jump through a hoop and buy an Apple product. Every time a thread like this comes up about tablets the usual fanboys pipe up about iPads even though they are not being asked about! iPads are excellent devices but they are not perfect... the personal preference you describe is why people do look at other things! And just because they do they and the items they are looking at... which are perfectly good piees of kit... do not need to be shouted down in immature insulting terms!

Ok, ok....calm down ... FFS

;-)

OP here. Perhaps I should mention that I have in fact used my brother-in-law's ipad.

One size rarely fits all. If someone gave me a Porsche, I'd sell it immediately as my Nissan does exactly what I need it to.

Chuckle. I was going through Gatwick the other day and there was a super car being raffled: I think it might have been an Aston Martin. Very nice and all that, but as I commented to another bystander "Hmm, I don't think I could even afford the insurance for the wing mirrors!" Lots of goodies at Dixon's too, but I do an internal cost benefit analysis which starts "Would I like a smart phone/tablet?" - Yes, "Do I need one?" No. I then do the other calculations on cost and running costs, potential benefits, risks, battery life, my income etc., and have decided not to get one at the moment. The ipad/android argument is completely irrelevant.

Not suggesting it applies to anyone here, but spending money on the latest gear which you don't actually 'need' is one of the issues in the current debt situation. The concept of prioritising, budgeting and saving seems to have got lost somewhere.

Chuckle. I was going through Gatwick the other day and there was a super car being raffled: I think it might have been an Aston Martin. Very nice and all that, but as I commented to another bystander "Hmm, I don't think I could even afford the insurance for the wing mirrors!" Lots of goodies at Dixon's too, but I do an internal cost benefit analysis which starts "Would I like a smart phone/tablet?" - Yes, "Do I need one?" No. I then do the other calculations on cost and running costs, potential benefits, risks, battery life, my income etc., and have decided not to get one at the moment. The ipad/android argument is completely irrelevant.

Not suggesting it applies to anyone here, but spending money on the latest gear which you don't actually 'need' is one of the issues in the current debt situation. The concept of prioritising, budgeting and saving seems to have got lost somewhere.

Good post I expect we have the show off generation who waste their money on status symbol junk for their own egos to make up for their lack of character and blow their money every chance they get.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Good post I expect we have the show off generation who waste their money on status symbol junk for their own egos to make up for their lack of character and blow their money every chance they get.

Human kind has been 'keeping up with the Jones' since time immemorial....no doubt caveman A was trying to 'out gadget' caveman B back in the day :-)

Human kind has been 'keeping up with the Jones' since time immemorial....no doubt caveman A was trying to 'out gadget' caveman B back in the day :-)

Ha ha it just seems we have a lot more cavemen these days:D

Maybe, but at least with a Saints Season Ticket or an apple product you can kid yoursel that you are cool........:rolleyes: ;)

Good to see that wit & irony continues to thrive on this board ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I went for this in the end:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A1CS-FUSION5-PREMIUM-TABLET-DUAL-CAMERA/dp/B0081UIKXA

A few issues initially with WiFi reception, but basically delighted with it.

The after-sale customer service from the company (UK based - A1CS Ltd) was fantastic. I emailed them on one occasion at 10.30 on a Saturday night and got a reply within 10 mins.