Rising insurance premiums

Jack

I turned 25 in May, now have 7 years NCD, and my insurance has gone UP. AGAIN.

Ridiculous to be paying nearly £700 at my age and with decent NCD FFS.

You got to change every year - companies dont reward loyal customers any more - they rip them off instead. My renewal more than doubled this year to over £1,000 but have just signed up with quote me happy for £406 through moneysupermarket.com

I turned 25 in May, now have 7 years NCD, and my insurance has gone UP. AGAIN.

Ridiculous to be paying nearly £700 at my age and with decent NCD FFS.

Then you are driving too nice/expensive a car or you're with the wrong insurance company.

My mate's lad turned 25 just before his insurance was due for renewal. Now he may only drive a Nissan Micra but he is paying £360 fully comp and he's only got 4 years NCB. (I think he's with Admiral)

For the last two years he's received his insurance renewal, done a bit of research on price comparison sites, rung up Admiral to tell he can get them a better deal elsewhere and they've immediately knocked 15-20% off his quoted renewal price.

2 years ago they knocked £90 off and halved his voluntary excess PURELY because he rang them up and politely haggled.

He reckons they deliberately jack the prices up 15-20% in the hope people won't ring up to save the hassle or because they are otherwise too busy with their lives.

Whatever you do though DON'T JUST ACCEPT THE RENEWAL PRICE. RING THEM UP AND HAGGLE. It is amazing what you can save.

You really do have to shop around.

My renewal came in & it had gone up by about 20%. 30mins of shopping around & I'd got it around 20% less of my previous policy.

When I phoned them up to cancel they offered it to me at the rate I'd sourced. Turned them down on the principal that they shouldn't of tried to rip me off in the 1st place.

When I phoned them up to cancel they offered it to me at the rate I'd sourced. Turned them down on the principal that they shouldn't of tried to rip me off in the 1st place.

Good man, although you'll probably have the same outcome next year as so many companies focus too much on winning new business, when if they focused more on retaining business, it would deliver far better long term prospects, for both them and their customers.

There are some good ones out there. I'm sure of it. I just haven't found one yet.

Then you are driving too nice/expensive a car or you're with the wrong insurance company.

My mate's lad turned 25 just before his insurance was due for renewal. Now he may only drive a Nissan Micra but he is paying £360 fully comp and he's only got 4 years NCB. (I think he's with Admiral)

For the last two years he's received his insurance renewal, done a bit of research on price comparison sites, rung up Admiral to tell he can get them a better deal elsewhere and they've immediately knocked 15-20% off his quoted renewal price.

2 years ago they knocked £90 off and halved his voluntary excess PURELY because he rang them up and politely haggled.

He reckons they deliberately jack the prices up 15-20% in the hope people won't ring up to save the hassle or because they are otherwise too busy with their lives.

Whatever you do though DON'T JUST ACCEPT THE RENEWAL PRICE. RING THEM UP AND HAGGLE. It is amazing what you can save.

Should have said it in the OP, I did change company after a bit of comparison site shopping. I do every year, apart from once a few years ago, where my renewal really was the cheapest deal.

I'm aware that the car I'm driving isn't going to be the cheapest to run and insure, but there's no way I'd be seen dead in a Micra. My car is a group 15, but the point is that my insurance is as expensive now as it was 2 years ago, when I was 2 years younger and had 2 years less no claims. Talking to others I know, this seems to be a common theme.

Should have said it in the OP, I did change company after a bit of comparison site shopping. I do every year, apart from once a few years ago, where my renewal really was the cheapest deal.

I'm aware that the car I'm driving isn't going to be the cheapest to run and insure, but there's no way I'd be seen dead in a Micra. My car is a group 15, but the point is that my insurance is as expensive now as it was 2 years ago, when I was 2 years younger and had 2 years less no claims. Talking to others I know, this seems to be a common theme.

Unfortunately insurance gets more expensive every year. It's down to a combination of things - the compensation culture, cars getting more expensive etc.etc. Your NCB will take it down so far, it'll then level out and it'll become increasingly harder to get it cheaper.

But just by haggling and not accepting the automated renewal I've easily saved a 4 figure sum over the years, and I seem to be saving an ever increasing amount each year in these times.

Be thankful you don't live in Italy where I pay €600+ for Third party only (with windscreen and recovery cover) on an 11 year old Fabia. Shopped around last year and couldn't beat my existing supplier. It doesn't help if you have an old and cheap car as the base it on what you might hit...

"but there's no way I'd be seen dead in a Micra. " - well, if cars are that important to you you'll just have to take the hit, but shopping around is a no brainer..

Slightly off topic, but loosley related. In just over a year my eldest will be 17, he's already babbled on about driving, but the insurance will be crippling. My cunning plan, is to buy a cheap motor bike/scooter when he's 16, insure him for it, but not let him ride it (I think I may be heading for the divorce court if he did), thus earning himself a year of two of no-claims, which he can transfer to a car whenever he chooses to buy one.

Is this feasible (or even leagal)?

Slightly off topic, but loosley related. In just over a year my eldest will be 17, he's already babbled on about driving, but the insurance will be crippling. My cunning plan, is to buy a cheap motor bike/scooter when he's 16, insure him for it, but not let him ride it (I think I may be heading for the divorce court if he did), thus earning himself a year of two of no-claims, which he can transfer to a car whenever he chooses to buy one.

Is this feasible (or even leagal)?

When my nipper was starting to drive, we added him to his Mum's insurance on her little Fiesta which wasn't too expensive and he was allowed to build up his own NCB.