Ipad Mini - £100 more than the Nexus

View From The Top

In my mind apple have shot themselves in the foot by:

a) Sticking to their 4:3 aspect ratio

b) making it nearly 8 inch diagonal.

This obviously gives them the boast of having a larger screen but one of the main appeals of tablets like the nexus is they are pocketable where as the ipad mini is going to be a good inch wider and will not fit many pockets.

Also on the subject of the nexus its expected that google will give them all a memory boost on monday so the £159 one will be 16G and the £199 one will be 32G.

Not that impressed with Apple in general at the moment. The move into the mini tablet range doesn't inspire in the same way as the iPhone or iPad did. 1024x768 screen? Meh.

I'm even thinking of jipping off the new iPhone in favour of an Android phone, especially since they've used this product announcement to announce that the iPad I've had for 3 months is being replaced too :)

You do wonder what their thinking was with the ipad3/4? The timing between them is a awful lot shorter than their usual upgrade cycle. Did they feel they needed to announce the ipad 3 when they did but did not want to announce the new port till the iphone 5 release? Did they have problems with the production of what is now the ipad 4 so decided to release the ipad 3 instead?

Couple of reasons behind the "new iPad" ( not even sure it is called iPad 4 ). First, they want to get people using the new adapters. Second, don't think the A6 chip was quite ready back in March.

The Mini is not a "wow product". It's a "me too" product launched at a "wow product" price. Apple losing it, IMO.

Agreed.

They are a company that retains high pricing to retain the perceived value of their brand, competing in an extremely price-competitive sector of the market.

I can't even see die-hard Macsturbators going for the Mini. Most of them will have the full size job.

Madness.

Quite how anyone can justify £300 for a tablet of any type is beyond me. Even £200 is a push. A mobile telephone can do all of the main things they offer, are far more portable and prevent the need to spend yet more cash.

Would you spend £300 on a laptop?

I take it you drive around in a 1989 Volvo 360.

Funny. ;)

I just don't need a tablet. I do have a Blackberry Playbook (Which cost a mere £160 pounds) but I only use it to stream television onto the bedroom tele when watching something in bed. For everything else, e-mail, facebook, internet, photographs, videos, apps etc I use my Galaxy S3.

I then have a PC at home by my arm chair which I use to play Football Manager, manage my music and f**k about on this website. Spending £300+ on an iPad or equivalent would be a waste of time for me.

Quite how anyone can justify £300 for a tablet of any type is beyond me. Even £200 is a push. A mobile telephone can do all of the main things they offer, are far more portable and prevent the need to spend yet more cash.

I used to think this until I got one.

First and foremost, it's an extra screen. That works on a number of levels, family have access to their own kit, don't have to bugger about unhooking wires, etc.

I've just sussed out how to move files into apps on my iPad, and have thrown a load of electronic versions of my major reference materials onto it in PDF format. I stand the thing up next to my main coding monitor; it's a better way of working than any I've used before. Better than my Kindle, better than the original printed book.

It's a HD video camera too. Video is something I'm not really up on, so a device that provides a nice abstraction over something like that for a relative thicky like me is immense, especially when you consider the portability factor.

Most people want very little out of computing; a tablet addresses the majority of needs for those people, if not all. Tablet sales are already eating into laptop and desktop sales. I reckon the only people who'll have PCs of any kind in five years will be gamers and professionals. Tablets will cannibalise the casual consumer market in the same way that decent games consoles put paid to the bespoke and incompatible home computer brands of the past. There's a lot of evidence to suggest they are hurting dedicated handhelds like the 3DS and Vita.

A tablet won't completely fulfil my needs, By way of illustration this entire last paragraph was dictated using the inbuilt microphone of the tablet. It is the sort of thing that you really have to try before you really get. I was a sceptic too.

It doesn't matter what Apple do as people will just go out and buy their products. It's a crazy world we live in where people buy things because of the brand name over the level of performance.

I personally think that the bubble is about to burst for Apple. The connection thing is a farce and the price for the mini doesn't make any sense at all. All the rival products are sub £200 and the mini is too closely priced to the ipad.

It doesn't matter what Apple do as people will just go out and buy their products. It's a crazy world we live in where people buy things because of the brand name over the level of performance.

I personally think that the bubble is about to burst for Apple. The connection thing is a farce and the price for the mini doesn't make any sense at all. All the rival products are sub £200 and the mini is too closely priced to the ipad.

They are hypnotised by the salesmans excessive use of superlatives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7enHsvlbgA

Agreed.

They are a company that retains high pricing to retain the perceived value of their brand, competing in an extremely price-competitive sector of the market.

I can't even see die-hard Macsturbators going for the Mini. Most of them will have the full size job.

Madness.

This

Apple products are always the best....... You can fight it, but its the reality

Utter garbage! I use a couple of Apple products but there's no way that you can say that they're the best. They're very good at marketing but it's a sorry world we live in where people would rather own something because of the badge on it. :-/

Apple products are always the best....... You can fight it, but its the reality

Lets look at a well respected gadget site like t3 shall we...

http://www.t3.com/best-gadgets/smartphones

Android phones: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th

iOS phones: 3rd and 7th. *

or maybe tablets

http://www.t3.com/best-gadgets/tablets

Android tablets: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 10th

iOS tablets: 3rd and 9th.

(* 4S third, 5 seventh, part of reason 5 seventh is iOS6 so one would guess that a 4S upgraded to iOS 6 would be further down the list than 3rd)

Edited by pedg

• 2 weeks later...
Lets look at a well respected gadget site like t3 shall we...

http://www.t3.com/best-gadgets/smartphones

Android phones: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th

iOS phones: 3rd and 7th. *

or maybe tablets

http://www.t3.com/best-gadgets/tablets

Android tablets: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 10th

iOS tablets: 3rd and 9th.

(* 4S third, 5 seventh, part of reason 5 seventh is iOS6 so one would guess that a 4S upgraded to iOS 6 would be further down the list than 3rd)

Check youre 2nd link...... Ipad mini number one :)

Carphone Warehouse has the Galaxy Tab 2 for £149.99 with £30 cashback at the moment! can someone remind me why the Ipad is so much more desirable....I just dont get it? after all a tablet is for surfing the net and playing about with apps......... Is an Ipad REALLY worth 3 Galaxy tab2's?

3 x £120 is £360 is it not?

Yes it is.

It's the part where you make the iPad's price of £269 (-any cashback site offers) = £360 that I'm struggling with.

Also, the part where you're comparing the 7" / 8gb Tab2 with it!!

The nearest equivalent to the £269 7.9" iPad Mini 16gb, is the 7.7" Tab 2 16gb which Carphone Warehouse are selling for £379. Using your type of calculations, you could get 9 iPad Minis for the price of the 'equivalent' Tab 2.

Not forgetting once paid for, any apple product buyer is then locked into apples pricing structure for apps etc.

In a world where over 45 BILLION apps will be downloaded this year, and 89% of all downloaded apps are of the free variety, that's a heck of a pricing structure to get locked into. Keep trying.

Oh, re the 'wage-slaves':-

"Foxconn is often viewed as a good entry-level job in China. The work is hard, no doubt, but the pay is fair for the region and job seekers often line up by the thousands for a chance to work at Foxconn. Not only is the pay a good deal higher than the required minimum but the company also provides dorms, meals, and recreational facilities for its workers. "

http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/02/17/foxconn-increases-wages-raises-pay-by-16-25-for-chinese-workers/

Oh, re the 'wage-slaves':-

"Foxconn is often viewed as a good entry-level job in China. The work is hard, no doubt, but the pay is fair for the region and job seekers often line up by the thousands for a chance to work at Foxconn. Not only is the pay a good deal higher than the required minimum but the company also provides dorms, meals, and recreational facilities for its workers. "

http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/02/17/foxconn-increases-wages-raises-pay-by-16-25-for-chinese-workers/

That reminds me of a sketch from the radio version of Knowing Me, Knowing You, in which a capitalist defends the use of child labour.

"In their culture, an 11 year old boy is a man".

The really interesting thing is that Apple's margins are so high that they could still turn a healthy profit in the US if it made its gear there. Chooses not to. Don't blame them really. It can be very expensive trying to patent curves!

Yawn. You can't fault the product, so have moved on to slating where it is manufactured! I hope you will also make similar attacks on any threads that include companies such as Ford's Transit (Turkey), Bank call centres (India) etc., in the interest of trolling consistency.

Yawn. You can't fault the product, so have moved on to slating where it is manufactured! I hope you will also make similar attacks on any threads that include companies such as Ford's Transit (Turkey), Bank call centres (India) etc., in the interest of trolling consistency.

I can definitely fault the product.

1024x768 is an embarrassment. All hail the miniaturised original iPad screen!

I can definitely fault the product.

1024x768 is an embarrassment. All hail the miniaturised original iPad screen!

It is quite bizare that a product that can cost upwards of £500 has a key feature that is surpassed by many products 2/5 of the price.

Have you seen the screen in the flesh? Read the T3 review link above? A retina screen will, no doubt be introduced in the next incarnation, but this one will sell like hot cakes because it's currently the best in its class.

It's an embarrassment, Essruu. It says "we don't care about a wow product. That'll do will do. These f**king idiots will buy anything, even 1024x768, and pay through the nose for the privilege"

It is quite bizare that a product that can cost upwards of £500 has a key feature that is surpassed by many products 2/5 of the price.

You're turning into a JeffLeTaxi clone with those price comparisons. For your next trick, compare an elephant with a banana...

You're turning into a JeffLeTaxi clone with those price comparisons. For your next trick, compare an elephant with a banana...

Tablet computer vs Tablet computer.....

Four legged large mammal vs a fruit.

I've never said that these are bad devices, they are far from it, I respect what they can do. But your blind loyalty and frankly disrespect for other's opinions is laughable and more then a little insulting.