Football Manager 2009 - Southampton Save Game Thread

Matthew Le God

Just started as Saints in the most recently updated game and its pretty hard. No money to spend and nobody wants to buy Skacel, trying to get good loans but not much to be had.

John Goossens is quality at left back. Will sign for a season on loan in 1st season (or permanently if you can stump up £2m for him). Premiership class and gets much better.

Just started as Saints in the most recently updated game and its pretty hard. No money to spend and nobody wants to buy Skacel, trying to get good loans but not much to be had.

Just leave Skacel at LB and put Joseph Mills in at AML, he is quality there.

EDIT: just noticed you're using the updated game, not sure what he is like on that.

Finally given up the ghost on Saints, just haven't got the patience for it to be honest.

Started a new game on 9.03 with Eastleigh, Played first league game won 3-0.

Give every player a full-time contract to get them on a proper training regime. Waiting on a reply from the board about a parent club, Saints hopefully. Anyone got any ideas/tips on players to buy for Eastleigh as i haven't a clue at who to look at!

Finally given up the ghost on Saints, just haven't got the patience for it to be honest.

Give every player a full-time contract to get them on a proper training regime. Waiting on a reply from the board about a parent club, Saints hopefully. Anyone got any ideas/tips on players to buy for Eastleigh as i haven't a clue at who to look at!

For non-league teams look here.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=56566

Not actually playing as saints on this particular game but i hope it's not a sign of things to come.

On my game (second Season) Saints have been relegated in the first season, they replaced JP with Wotte and are now mid table in league 1 after going into admin.

Please please i hope the great crystal ball that is FM 09 is wrong

Not actually playing as saints on this particular game but i hope it's not a sign of things to come.

On my game (second Season) Saints have been relegated in the first season, they replaced JP with Wotte and are now mid table in league 1 after going into admin.

Please please i hope the great crystal ball that is FM 09 is wrong

JP must be sh*t on that game, I think I could easily keep Saints up with the team you start with.

Absolutely ecstatic with some of the free transfers I got this season+players who had requested a transfer. Got promoted through play-offs, relegated on last day of the season and then promoted as Champions.

Team now:

-------------Akinfeev

Jagodics--Samba--C. Davies--Drenthe

-------Schneiderlin--Mascio

Saivet--------Lallana--------Downing

--------------Fleck

Jagodics is a regen.

I got so many good wingers/attacking midfielders, i'm dreading the second half of the season because the ones who can't get in the team will start getting unhappy :(

Absolutely ecstatic with some of the free transfers I got this season+players who had requested a transfer. Got promoted through play-offs, relegated on last day of the season and then promoted as Champions.

Team now:

-------------Akinfeev

Jagodics--Samba--C. Davies--Drenthe

-------Schneiderlin--Mascio

Saivet--------Lallana--------Downing

--------------Fleck

Jagodics is a regen.

I got so many good wingers/attacking midfielders, i'm dreading the second half of the season because the ones who can't get in the team will start getting unhappy :(

Your joking ?? Seriously ??

I could not sign akinfeev for love nor money, went up to 20mil, same as saivet got him in the end but took a while, fleck ends up good though. Also some young saudi kid called awaiji is quality

I sold Schneiderlin which was something I was loathe to do, butin the summer following the first season I signed some good free transfers but on high wages and so needed the money.

PS, the budget adjustment is brilliant. Sod transfer fees when you can get quality Bosmans.

Your joking ?? Seriously ??

I could not sign akinfeev for love nor money, went up to 20mil, same as saivet got him in the end but took a while, fleck ends up good though. Also some young saudi kid called awaiji is quality

Akinfeev got p*ssed off with his manager and didn't sign a new contract, f*cking loving that one.

Saivet cost me shed loads, ended up paying £12million for him with 50% of next sale. Fleck and Downing were really cheap as they both played for Boro and they got relegated.

Struggling in my second prem season, not enough firepower as Saivet is not yet good enough! Zuculini won't sign a new contract and could walk away free, but German Lux in goal has been different class so far!

Ouch.

Where in the season? What position? First team? Teams that look like going down?

Having got Saints promoted through the play-offs, and still with jack all money, I signed a few bosmans and hoped for the best. I now have no money, am miles adrift of getting out the relegation zone (although I am 18th thanks to two crapper clubs, Fulham and Derby), and have a wage bill spiralling out of control.

On the plus side, the scouts have being doing a great job looking for youngsters, and am convinced when I go down that I will have a great young team in the CCC. If I keep my job...

Having got Saints promoted through the play-offs, and still with jack all money, I signed a few bosmans and hoped for the best. I now have no money, am miles adrift of getting out the relegation zone (although I am 18th thanks to two crapper clubs, Fulham and Derby), and have a wage bill spiralling out of control.

On the plus side, the scouts have being doing a great job looking for youngsters, and am convinced when I go down that I will have a great young team in the CCC. If I keep my job...

What were your expectations? When I first got promoted they were to "attempt to avoid relegation", and I went down on the last day by one point, so I kept my job.

If they were to "avoid relegation" then you will get sacked.

Personally I don't see it as that bad a thing - I haven't got the heart to leave Saints and yet I do want to try different clubs.

I was tempted to say "Avoid relegation" at the beginning of the season, as apart from strikers, the rest of my team is quite good. I solidified the defence, have a very good young free keeper called Sasa Sjanic, and have a good midfield with Dyer flying down the right wing. I couldn't get a decent striker in for love nor money though!!!

In the end I plumped for "attempt to avoid relegation" and now I'm glad I did! I do want to keep my job as I reckon I'll be able to ace the CCC next year, although the wage bill is a cause for concern. Still, If I go down, I flog the costly players and use the yoof.

Ouch.

Where in the season? What position? First team? Teams that look like going down?

Stayed up with a few games to go as 4th bottom, Reading, Sunderland and Ipswich going down.

Im looking at a big clear out as had loads of money left over, 20mil+ but Rupert decided to spend 22mil on undersoil heating leaving me no money to spend! Luckily I now have 19 to spend, a half decent first team but in desperate need of goalscorers, anybody help that might be interested?

My team:

Lux

Abel Diomande Gioda Mattock

Zuculini

Kalouda Schneiderlin Ochirosii

Saivet Sturridge

Just started a new season with saints. Won all pre-season matches and am currently second in championship after winning 4 on the trot.

Playing a 4-2-3-1 formation but although the team is solid i am a little concerned about scoring goals.

Team is

--------------Westerveld-----------

wasilewski---Todoya---Lequi---- Insua

---------Cork------Surman-----------

Dyer-------Sanmearten/Lallana--------Holmes/Murphy

-------Mcgoaldrick/Helgusun/McCulloch

And have on bench - Glauber, Soley, Binya, Holmes, Gibson, John

But obviously i rotate a little, i sold Davis, BWP and Skacel.

Need a goalscorer though as i am worried that i am not scoring

Edit - Most of my team are frees or loan signings

Stayed up with a few games to go as 4th bottom, Reading, Sunderland and Ipswich going down.

Im looking at a big clear out as had loads of money left over, 20mil+ but Rupert decided to spend 22mil on undersoil heating leaving me no money to spend! Luckily I now have 19 to spend, a half decent first team but in desperate need of goalscorers, anybody help that might be interested?

My team:

Lux

Abel Diomande Gioda Mattock

Zuculini

Kalouda Schneiderlin Ochirosii

Saivet Sturridge

Try Andre-pierre Gignac, scores shed loads and should be well within your budget.

Just started a new season with saints. Won all pre-season matches and am currently second in championship after winning 4 on the trot.

Playing a 4-2-3-1 formation but although the team is solid i am a little concerned about scoring goals.

Team is

--------------Westerveld-----------

wasilewski---Todoya---Lequi---- Insua

---------Cork------Surman-----------

Dyer-------Sanmearten/Lallana--------Holmes/Murphy

-------Mcgoaldrick/Helgusun/McCulloch

And have on bench - Glauber, Soley, Binya, Holmes, Gibson, John

But obviously i rotate a little, i sold Davis, BWP and Skacel.

Need a goalscorer though as i am worried that i am not scoring

Edit - Most of my team are frees or loan signings

Not using the new patch?

Try Andre-pierre Gignac, scores shed loads and should be well within your budget.

Wasn't interested but signed Marquinhos instead, outstanding stats.

Sold Ochirosii to Everton for 10mil and signed Neri Cardozo as his replacement for 8.5, I'm a little light in defence now though, and a right back is my main priority but im struggling to find anybody good enough for the right sorts of money

Because Cork and Dyer are still in your side, and you've actually signed people for fees.

Ahh of course yes..... lol, still had bugger all transfer kitty but wolves brought skacel for 3mil (really??) and sold davis and BWP in the end.

Got promoted through the playoffs in the end.

Happy days !!!!

Right, just completed by first season in the Premiership. I avoided the drop with one game to spare following a fairly good home record, the standout result being a 1-0 win at Anfield. Towards the end of the season my defence were all getting injured, leaving me with a few youngsters I'd picked up to carry the can.

What a relief staying up is though! I had already signed a few Bosmans, which I'd done in the hope I could stay up as the wages in the CCC would have been crippling. Now the board have given me transfer money for the first time since I started the game, and a huge wage boost to boot. I'm looking forward to next season, especially as I've just got Ched Evans on a Bosman (although with huge, stupid wages). Whether I do well next season is dependant on loan defensive signings. (I'm useless at purchasing defenders.

At the end of the season, my best team was:

David Grof (21 year old keeper displaced Sjanic mid-season and kept him out. Attitude problem though.)

Marvin Elliot (Better in midfield but a solid right back nonetheless and captain)

Nedum Onuoha (A loan, but top notch. Best defender all season. Shame I couldn't get him permanently.)

Glauber (Man City reserve. Pretty poor, but has height. Seems to be popular as everyone wants to sign him. They can have him!)

Lesley Fellani (Unknown Haitian left back. Signed him on a free in the CCC as cover and has made the position his own, even allowing me to sell Surman for millions.)

Nathan Dyer (Hasn't been as good in the Prem but still won me games.)

Castillo (Great stats, good player, but better in the CCC.)

Richard Hughes (Free from Pompey. Best signing. Player of the year two seasons running)

Ismodes (Pacy loanee winger, and goalscorer. When everyone's heads fell mid-season, he was still topping the average ratings charts)

Danny Wellbeck (Man Utd youngster. Promising future with my team, but not the finished article yet...)

Vonlanthan (Swiss attacker. Top goalscorer with 10 goals. Shows you my season!)

Boy I struggled, but I have a big squad so coped. A big squad is everything.

Finally have a settled team in my third season, second in prem. Have drawn 3-3 with Chelsea and just beat Spurs 1-0 and only played 10 games. Stadium expanded to 48k capacity so that's lot in extra revenue. My team barring injuries is:

Lux

Loties Diomande Gioda Mattock

Zuculini

Kalouda Schneiderlin Cardozo

Marquinhos Sturridge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Enjoying my third season in the Championship with Eastleigh whilst we build a new 18,500 seater stadium in time for next season.

Whilst in the BSS look for players from the Welsh leagues. When in the BSP and Div 2 look for players from the irish leagues such as Bohemians. Div 1 and Championship look for quality players from national teams' U.19/U.21 squads and from the trial days.

Francis Laurent (french forward) and Danny Wright (Forward/AM)(S****horpe?) are must buys/loans for Eastleigh along with Steve Elliott (RB/DC from Lewes??).

The thing that pis$es me off however is that any time a decent bid comes in the Chairman takes matters into his own hands and sells. I now go to the player transfer centre and put a very high asking price which means that clubs tend to offer that price. I also offer players to clubs at a higher price than the one accepted by Chairman to at least recoup a little more revenue, which seems to work about 75% of the time. Hopefully I can build a squad to challenge for promotion once the new stadium is built.

If you fancy a laugh, go into the FM Editor and under Tools select Free All People. Use that database and a lot of fun can be had! Everyone in the game is then a free agent, leaving you to pick up some of the world's best players for free! For instance, I started a game as Southampton on this database, and signed the likes of Theo Walcott, Miralem Pjanic, Henri Saivet, Bojan and many others...absolutely brilliant! :D

I got Southampton promoted through the play offs in my first season, and then stayed up in the Premiership in my first season. Currently I have just started the new season and have managed to improve the squad from last year, my team:

GK- Tomas Cerny

RB- Martin Taylor/ Michel Salgado

LB- Ibrahima Faye

CB- Size/ Brynjar Gunnarsson

CB- Mario Yepes/ Ivan Helguera

DMC- Patxi Punal/ Schneiderlin

MR- Andres D'Allesandro

ML- Leonardo

MC- Tijani Belaid

FC- Dady

FC- Sam Vokes/ Saga

Just finished my first season with saints, got us promoted through the play-offs.

Semi-final, Beat Wolves 5-2 on aggregate.

Final, Beat Cardiff 2-1.

Skacel,Saeijs and Lallana all in team of the season

Lallana top scorer with 13 (Not great i no, But, BWP and Saeijs both chipped in with ten each .

Absolutely delighted as i have never achieved this feet with Saints before. Lets see what happens in the prem. David Jones took over from ****chops at the start of the season.

Quick update from my above post.

Was given £32 million to try and avoid relegation, £58 Million to win the league (haha, yer right!)

Went for the £32 million and now need players to sign! Aston Villa were relegated so hoping to grab a few players on the cheap from them, Desperately need a Keeper i feel.

What sort of players from the championship should i keep in the prem? BWP,Spiderman,Lallana,Surman,Skacel,Davis were all quality last season just not sure what to do with them now.

keep morgan and lallana at all costs. Surman is a handy player to have until you find someone better. Try go for kirkland? see who's floating around on free's and try and get daniel aquino if he hasn't already gone to a big club, same for either marquinhos or alex texeira. Good Defenders, Beevers or Mattock. Look at the man city squad, they normally have loads of quality players in the reserves like evans, kompany etc.

Unfortunately couldn't get Davies, Every ****ing bid i put in for a Villa player was beaten by a Real Madrid bid, Managed to get James Milner for £12 million, bit steep i no but hopefully he can produce. Got Alan Smith for 4 Million,Alex for 3.5 Million and Kirkland for 5 million.

Flogged, Mcgoldraught, Gillett, John, Rasiak, Bart for a few pennies. Just hope i've done enough transfer wise to keep me up, Fairly large squad so hopefully.

First 2 games. Lost 3-1 at home to United and Lost 1-0 away to Stoke. Boro at home next.

So much more interesting being in the prem it really is.

• 2 weeks later...

what a joke this game is, started a new game as saints boss, taken chargen of 6 league games, won 4, drawn 1 lost 1, sit 3rd in the league

saints get taken over and I get sacked for Paul Jewell!! what a joke!

oh and J_Bizzle, where's the screnshot of this 8"1 14year old striker then?