Football Manager 2009 - Southampton Save Game Thread

Matthew Le God

Try a challenge type game to keep your interest up.

1) Holiday for a season. Take charge at one of the newly promoted clubs to the conference north/south. Try and get them to the Premiership.

2) Load English, Spainish and Italian leagues. Take charge of Eastleigh and treat it as a career and move jobs to develop your career and aim to get one of the big european sides or a top international job after starting on a sunday league reputation.

I went from Eastleigh to Rotherham to Preston to Everton to Sevilla to Inter Milan to Real Madrid

Most enjoyable game I've ever had in FM :)

1) Holiday for a season. Take charge at one of the newly promoted clubs to the conference north/south. Try and get them to the Premiership.

2) Load English, Spainish and Italian leagues. Take charge of Eastleigh and treat it as a career and move jobs to develop your career and aim to get one of the big european sides or a top international job after starting on a sunday league reputation.

I went from Eastleigh to Rotherham to Preston to Everton to Sevilla to Inter Milan to Real Madrid

How many leagues can you load before it seriously slows gameplay down?

How many leagues can you load before it seriously slows gameplay down?

Depends very much on the specs of your computer. I've run all leagues from England, Scotland, France, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Holland and Germany and it was great on my IMac which is quite a high spec machine. I can't say what it would be like for yours and you would have to give it a go yourself. :)

i just dont have the patience

A few years ago (on FM05 i think) i somehow managed to take Southampton up as championship winners, and then managed to win the premiership in our first year back up :confused: (i didn't cheat either...just bought very well, loans mainly)

the best bit was....Higgy was the premiership winning captain, alongside Chris Baird.

never been able to do that again.

Just about to start a new game with Salisbury which players would help me gain promotion?

I depend on my scouts alot in the lower leagues. Get the best scouts possible with high judging potential and judging ability. An assistant manager with high ratings in these areas is also useful.

I have managed to take southampton into the prem and stayed there hanging in for a few seasons, now got them to Europe.

The only thing i can suggest is hang on to your best players, just don't sell no matter how much. There are times that the board will accept offers, if this happens offer to clubs for more. If you can keep them you will be fine.

I was lucky, finding loads of wonderkids and developing them. (good coaches, training schemes and persistance) Took ages but made money and kept the better ones. Build for the future.

A few years ago (on FM05 i think) i somehow managed to take Southampton up as championship winners, and then managed to win the premiership in our first year back up :confused: (i didn't cheat either...just bought very well, loans mainly)

the best bit was....Higgy was the premiership winning captain, alongside Chris Baird.

never been able to do that again.

Yeah I had my most success on FM 05. Managed to win every trophy available in my first two seasons at Villa, and I only signed about 5 new players. I had Carlton Cole who was a goal scoring machine.

Reckon FM 2009 has just the right difficulty level. It's nowhere near as easy as some previous versions, but if you work hard you can have plenty of success and it's much more rewarding. Managed to win the SPL with Hearts which I was pretty pleased with. At Betis now, it's going well, but I don't know what I'm going to do get above Real Madrid and Barcelona any time soon. Playing with an update so Real have Ronaldo and Kaka, and they are out of this world. They won the league with 99 points last season. I managed to finish 4th though, and had some great results in the CL. My star players are Sergio Asenjo, Achille Emana, Sofiane Feghouli, Andrea Russotto, Henri Saivet and Tiago Luis.

Yeah, FM09 has about the right difficulty level, other previous titles such as FM05 were ridiculously easy, I think I got Basingstoke up to the premiership in about 7 or 8 seasons and we were in europe the season after...

Jacking this idea from the FMbase forum, what features would you like to see in FM10? For me:

1) U21/Reserve Manager Mode

Able to manage international teams at U21 or U19 level if you so wish, and also to manage reserve teams at clubs with a certain reputation (say at least 4000). Also being able to delegate these roles at club level to coaches, ie making a certain coach Reserve Team Manager or something like that, like you can do at international level. This would be a good way to develop the skills of players that have taken their coaching badges and are nearing the end of their playing days.

2) More Managerial Data Manipulation

I like the fact that you get an automated number of caps and goals if you select your past playing status as International, but i'd like to be able to manipulate playing data from my history, this could probably be quite easily done with a tool like FMRTE, so get cracking SI! Also being able to spend career earnings on things such as learning new languages to enable your prospects at getting a job as a manager abroad or getting youth coaching badges to tempt wonderkids to your club.

3) Kit and Sponsors

When a kit design or sponsorship contract expires, i'd like to have some say in what replaces it. The chairman could offer you a list from which you could choose, simple template designs for kits and more detailed information about sponsors (ie company wealth, international recognition etc).

4) More Press Conference Options

I want to be able to slag off a referee more often in press conferences, being able to view referee data in FM09 was a step forward, now I want to be able to release press statements about them like you can with other managers (ie SuperMikey believes that Mike Riley is biased).

5) More Playable British Leagues

I know there are already 7 leagues, but i'd like to be able to manage a team in the Isthmian League, or at least to be able to see league data during the season so I can see how clubs are doing (as I usually play as lower league teams, so it would be relevant to me...)

Just a few ideas - Matthew Le God, I hope you're taking notes! :D

Agree that press conferences need to be improved. It's a nice feature, but the questions get a little repetitive. I nearly always leave them to my assistant now.

Would love to see a few more leagues. Some more African leagues would be good as would places like Uzbekistan, Qatar, Saudi etc. Doubt this will happen though.

I'd also like to be able to create specific training exercises, as opposed to just using sliders.

can you go on the editor and take out the "takeover" aspect of saints..

I just got promoted to the prem and not allowed to make any signing in the whole of the summer do to a possible takeover..

annoying

Yep, go into the editor and raise board and fan confidence level closer to 200. That will stop Rupert Lowe wanting to leave or being booted out. Will be painful making him more popular though :D

Do you guys find a successful tactic & just stick to it all the time?

Or do you change tactics depending on the opposition or state of match, or to accomodate certain individuals?

I pretty much stick to the same tactics throughout, however i will make the very odd exception.

Worked for me, build a team of players for positions, spent money on youth, nurtured and took the club on from there.

I have got saints into champs league 2014 and have won FA cup, League cup x2, and european cup.

Champions League winners with AFC Wimbledon on FM08

I've just won the Prem with Eastleigh in the 2035/2036 season, along with the FA Cup and League Cup.

I notice it took you longer to win the Prem title, even with a better team to begin with. ;0)

Frankly my team are so sh*t-hot right now I might just give up and begin a new game with an even smaller BSS or BSN team.

I've just won the Prem with Eastleigh in the 2035/2036 season, along with the FA Cup and League Cup.

I notice it took you longer to win the Prem title, even with a better team to begin with. ;0)

Frankly my team are so sh*t-hot right now I might just give up and begin a new game with an even smaller BSS or BSN team.

After 25 seasons what does the Premier League look like?

I used to get irritated by previous versions, when after 25+ seasons you'd have Hereford & Barnet in the PL and Aston Villa & Arsenal in the conference

After 25 seasons what does the Premier League look like?

I used to get irritated by previous versions, when after 25+ seasons you'd have Hereford & Barnet in the PL and Aston Villa & Arsenal in the conference

1. Eastleigh

2. Man Utd

3. Liverpool

4. Man City

5. Chelsea

6. Pompey

7. Middlesborough

There aren't too many surprises to be honest with you. Leicester are in there as are Bristol City and Swansea were for a while. Everton and Villa are yo-yo teams.

Saints are lower half Championship. They are Eastleigh's feeder club and I do my best to send them the brightest youngsters for experience for a season or two.

think im just about finished with it, booted it up after a while away and put the new patch on, 9.3.0? ....still same old crap...dominate games to lose against their only highlighted chance. World class players missing from a yard out etc etc. No tactics I create ever work, even basic 442 gets mullered when im using Rangers at home to some **** like Partick :lol:

I really hope FM10 is better

.dominate games to lose against their only highlighted chance. World class players missing from a yard out etc etc. :lol:

Try buying someone with high finishing and composure rating. No matter how good their finishing, if they lack composure they will miss. The game is essentially a scientific puzzle in a football wrapping. You need to suss out the formula as some of us have. If that's not your thing or you lack patience (loads of it!) you might want to move on to something else.

In reality it's a stupid little game, but for someone like me who likes football, puzzles, fishing and the idea of nurturing promising talent it's highly addictive.

Try buying someone with high finishing and composure rating. No matter how good their finishing, if they lack composure they will miss. The game is essentially a scientific puzzle in a football wrapping. You need to suss out the formula as some of us have. If that's not your thing or you lack patience (loads of it!) you might want to move on to something else.

In reality it's a stupid little game, but for someone like me who likes football, puzzles, fishing and the idea of nurturing promising talent it's highly addictive.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that you need composure infront of goal ;)

ive just got a saints career on the go and have set my challenge of turning saints into an atletic bilbao like team where i can only sign english players....so all of my foreigners have gone, all my staff are english etc....you get my gist.

so far ive bought nathaniel clyne from palace, kyle walker from sheff utd, jordan spence from the hammers, joe lewis from pboro, reuben reid from rotherham, and nabbed a couple of loans (welbeck, lansbury and woods)

doing ok at the moment....was wondering if anyone fancied doing this challenge with me to see how far and well we both do over the course of a season!

Am currently starting this challenge. Managing Guiseley in the Conference North, 6th after 6 games, the challenge is hard, but every player I've signed the fans have loved, even though they're complete rubbish. But in that league those players with stats of 8-9's are different class, although getting Legwinski in was a bit of a coup I must say

well with Benzema and Torres up front on my 'Pool game nothing changes... :lol:

Ive found a formation which plays 4-6-0 which works well as its all about midfielders screaming it in from distance which seems more successful than shooting from 6 yards. Happy dayz :D

Edited by skintsaint

The secret in Conference North & South is getting top quality loan signings in

It's amazing how many of Saints youth team were prepared to spend a season on loan at Dorchester - McLaggon & Paterson both came on season loans

Am I the only person one here who never manages Saints? I played with them once on FM 05 or 06 I think, but that's it.

I never play with Saints.

Most recently I started in the Serbian 2nd tier, but have had some classic games in random areas.

I never join teams with money to spend. Boring.

My career game has just seen Eastleigh survive their first season in the Prem, despite being predicted 20th. (odds of 1000-1 for the title :D ) I'm about 20-21 seasons in ('tis 2030). Newcastle were leading the Prem most of the season but faded at the end and were overtaken by tottenham and Man City.... Man U and Liverpool have been crippled by their debt and are perennial relegation candidates. (Man U only coming above me on goal difference lol)

highlights so far... finally getting to the prem, and way back in my 200th game in charge...

FA Trophy Final

I've had no trophies so far, I've just been promoted from 2nd place up from BSP, this will be my last chance for a while at honours. Eastleigh are 3-0 down at half time. I inspire them with team talk and well timed subs to come back and eventually in injury time score an equaliser. We then hold on for penalties and win 5-4 :D

Depends on what Mr Liebherr looks like he will do between now and September.

I would assume (ok hope) that although we will old get modest investment this year, should we be promoted the level of financial support for player purchases will increase significantly.

Is this something that can be reflected in teh game? Or does the level of investment that an owner is prepared to give stick at a fixed level?

There are some very good players available on frees if you know where to look. If you load all French players there are plenty of clubs in France with players on amateur contracts. 3 in 5 won't come to you, but there are still some quality players there that can DAGJFY in lower leagues!

Some of the best players are Patrick Vaz, Yves Poulard, Mickael Maurice, Fabrice Mosa, Arnaud Ribas and Pape Seydou Diop (the brother of Papa Bouba). Those players will guarantee you automatic promotion.

Use an attacking formation and tactic with wingers that can provide good service for your strikers. Play a quick game with either direct or short passing, it doesn't matter, because the teams in the lowest leagues can't cope with the speed of your game! Get some physically fit players in your team, pacy wingers and strong defenders work especially well.

Get some strikers that can finish well too, because there are usually lots of chances created with this tactic, so you'll need someone to put them away. As the screeny shows above, i've got a GD of +37 after 20 games because i've got two strikers with decent composure and finishing.

Also, loans! I've got Charlton as a parent club, get Darren Randolph on loan for goalie and Stuart Fleetwood too. Unfortunately for me, Fleetwood broke his leg in a pre-season friendly, so I sent him back and my strikers are doing well in his place.

Good luck :D

• 5 weeks later...