what is hard to take when thinking about it

Thedelldays

the guy who scored plymouths winner against cov last week was an electrician just over a year ago...

they would have loved to have been able to sign the likes of shneiderlin....they have also sold all of their best player...they play some of the most crap football you will see, yet are doing so much better

They might be built with limited resources, but they are managed by people who understand this division and how to either survive in it or even get out of it through promotion. Their teams are constituted of big experienced players in defence, together with big strikers up front, with a smattering of youngsters to add pace. Often they play an attacking home formation and a defensive away formation, making it difficult for the opposition to score, but hoping to pick up at least one point, if not all three by hitting back on the break. They love playing teams like ours, with our naive coach and his naive formation and they have all sussed out how one dimensional we are and stifle our attack in the last third, our sole striker being easy to neutralise. Anyway, our team comprises very little experience and most are learning how to play at this level as they go along. By the time that they adapt to what is required they will be sold and another bunch of startled rabbits will be put in front of the headlights, promoted to the first team before they are ready. The manager will not change his formation as he is as used to it as much as the players are not used to it. Lowe will not sack JP as he was his appointment and the mad experiment was also his idea and we all know that the entire world is wrong before he is.

Personally, I'd rather watch a team like Plymouth winning rather than a team like Saints losing, regardless of the pretty football. Although I still put myself through the mental anguish of attending home games (for the time being, anyway), seemingly many thousands of others have reached the same conclusion and voted with their feet instead.

Very much agree with what Wes Tender said.

Some managers are very good CCC ,managers because they understand the system, aka Paul Sturrock, but cannot adapt to the Premiership or control Premiership players. Other managers aka Glenn Hoddle are excellent Premier and international managers, but find it difficult to manage CCC clubs. The secret is to find the right manager for the right division. This is where we went wrong in Spring 2004 IMO.

Wes, I don't think the team is as terminal as you describe. There are problems in defence and attack which a four-year-old could spot. With the return of Rasiak or John, and a loan deal for a couple of effective full backs, we could do something about those problems. Aside from that - and it's a pretty big 'that' - the team plays some pretty good football, at least for about 45 minutes a match.

And I don't believe the players are unused to the formation, since many of them seem to have played a similar system under Prost.

Is it JP's fault? His inflexibility, or his naivety? His refusal to play Euell earlier? His decision to play Lancashire ahead of Perry? His decision not to bring in full backs? His decision to loan out not one but all three experienced strikers? His decision to play one upfront with a player who's clearly better running at the defence and playing off a target man? The short answer, I think, is we don't know. Being naive is one explanation. It's not the only one, unfortunately.

What's so frustrating though is that there's a really good team just very slightly out of reach, that blends youth with a spine of steely experience and is managed with tactical flexibility. Maybe JP is incapable of seeing it. I'd be stunned if someone were THAT blinkered. Maybe there's more to it than that - and the 'revolution' trundles on...

They might be built with limited resources, but they are managed by people who understand this division and how to either survive in it or even get out of it through promotion. Their teams are constituted of big experienced players in defence, together with big strikers up front, with a smattering of youngsters to add pace. Often they play an attacking home formation and a defensive away formation, making it difficult for the opposition to score, but hoping to pick up at least one point, if not all three by hitting back on the break. They love playing teams like ours, with our naive coach and his naive formation and they have all sussed out how one dimensional we are and stifle our attack in the last third, our sole striker being easy to neutralise. Anyway, our team comprises very little experience and most are learning how to play at this level as they go along. By the time that they adapt to what is required they will be sold and another bunch of startled rabbits will be put in front of the headlights, promoted to the first team before they are ready. The manager will not change his formation as he is as used to it as much as the players are not used to it. Lowe will not sack JP as he was his appointment and the mad experiment was also his idea and we all know that the entire world is wrong before he is.

Personally, I'd rather watch a team like Plymouth winning rather than a team like Saints losing, regardless of the pretty football. Although I still put myself through the mental anguish of attending home games (for the time being, anyway), seemingly many thousands of others have reached the same conclusion and voted with their feet instead.

Good post.

Wes, I don't think the team is as terminal as you describe. There are problems in defence and attack which a four-year-old could spot. With the return of Rasiak or John, and a loan deal for a couple of effective full backs, we could do something about those problems. Aside from that - and it's a pretty big 'that' - the team plays some pretty good football, at least for about 45 minutes a match.

And I don't believe the players are unused to the formation, since many of them seem to have played a similar system under Prost.

Is it JP's fault? His inflexibility, or his naivety? His refusal to play Euell earlier? His decision to play Lancashire ahead of Perry? His decision not to bring in full backs? His decision to loan out not one but all three experienced strikers? His decision to play one upfront with a player who's clearly better running at the defence and playing off a target man? The short answer, I think, is we don't know. Being naive is one explanation. It's not the only one, unfortunately.

What's so frustrating though is that there's a really good team just very slightly out of reach, that blends youth with a spine of steely experience and is managed with tactical flexibility. Maybe JP is incapable of seeing it. I'd be stunned if someone were THAT blinkered. Maybe there's more to it than that - and the 'revolution' trundles on...

Good post. I agree that a great deal looks completely inexplicable at the moment, the decision to play Lancashire rather than Perry against Wolves being but one example. We looked far better defensively last week with Perry on the field, even though we were playing with 10 men by that time.

I think, though, that the decision to loan out all three of our experienced strikers is easily explained. It was a purely financial decision, and therefore had nothing to do with JP. The worst of it is, of course, that the two things you point to which would dramatically improve matters will pretty certainly not happen.

Any Manager who can get our team to score...Maybe to-day our Manager Lowey might have some goals and I will have to shut up.

Mind you, I did put us down for a 3-1 win..What do I know about Managers or football.

Do you realise how childish you sound using your 'Lowey (and Wildey)' nicknames? Not trying to defend them but every point you make comes across like that of a petulant child and devalues anthing you are saying. Your choice, but I think you'd sound more like a level headed person if you dropped the nicknames.