Lowe talking about support at Reading

fos1

Lowe banging on about the support we had at Reading is a little ironic since I hear neither he or Wilde were actually there. Lowe was out shooting while Wilde's whereabouts on Saturday are unknown. Surely at least one of our Chairmen could have been present - this is not the first time neither have been at a Saints match this season.

of course we are customers........it is about time many realised that....

it is possible to be supporters and customers...

Supporters who go to see matches are customers. But not all supporters are customers.

And those supporters who are not customers, well. They are totally out of the loop as far as the club is concerned. That shouldn't be the case - There is no sense of 'we are in this together.' The only way Lowe can even begin to unite the club is to show that he understands the idea of what being a 'fan' is.

It makes prudent business sense to try and deal purely with your core clientelle, but for those outside of it, well, they feel totally detached.

Edited by Colinjb

Supporters who go to see matches are customers. But not all supporters are customers.

i think this arguement is boring

you go to sms, spend money, then you are their customer...

simple as that really...if you want to hold on to some what distant idea that we are not customers but supporters and the two are different then i dont know.

this is not 1980 anymore where you can go and watch a game for peanuts...

football is now its own industry and that industry has to compete for your custom..albeit many wont change the team they follow they will decide to go or not...

i think this arguement is boring

you go to sms, spend money, then you are their customer...

simple as that really...if you want to hold on to some what distant idea that we are not customers but supporters and the two are different then i dont know.

this is not 1980 anymore where you can go and watch a game for peanuts...

football is now its own industry and that industry has to compete for your custom..albeit many wont change the team they follow they will decide to go or not...

Totally agree.

That so many no longer feel the desire to go is a complex thing. But one I feel that Lowe has no concept or idea of how to solve.

Does anyone? Maybe not, but the insistance of treating supporters as customers on home soil but then refering to them as supporters away from home is worrying to me.

Totally agree.

That so many no longer feel the desire to go is a complex thing. But one I feel that Lowe has no concept or idea of how to solve.

Does anyone? Maybe not, but the insistance of treating supporters as customers on home soil but then refering to them as supporters away from home is worrying to me.

but it is true..when you go to sms, you are putting money straight into the club..when you travel you dont...

but it is true..when you go to sms, you are putting money straight into the club..when you travel you dont...

Yes, it is true.

But the terminology is key. 99% of customers in the home end at St Mary's ARE supporters. Yet they are only regarded as such away from St Mary's. That is completely dissrespectful.

Lowe banging on about the support we had at Reading is a little ironic since I hear neither he or Wilde were actually there. Lowe was out shooting while Wilde's whereabouts on Saturday are unknown. Surely at least one of our Chairmen could have been present - this is not the first time neither have been at a Saints match this season.

is this accurate? Remember earlier in season thread complaining about the same when it turned out they were there?

This sums Mr Lowe's priorities up. John Corbett [Former president and director for 60 odd years]. Went to every home and away game well into his eighties. He only stopped going to away games when he got too ill, but continiued to go to every home game pretty much till he died. He also was invited 'shooting' at weekends, but SUPPORTED the saints instead.

The away support at Reading probably comprised a fairly large contingent of those who have vowed never to set foot in St Mary's while he remains on the board. Just think Rupert; if you go, then those people will help swell the St. Marys numbers. ;)

We're a bit like Leeds in this respect. A good away support, but a floundering home support because of a divisive chairman.

source?

The away support at Reading probably comprised a fairly large contingent of those who have vowed never to set foot in St Mary's while he remains on the board. Just think Rupert; if you go, then those people will help swell the St. Marys numbers. ;)

I was waiting for this b****** argument to be trotted out. Whilst I have no doubt that some were the "never set foot" types I suspect that many of the "never set foot types" had mysterious other engagements or other reasons for not going. The actual number? Who knows? At best a few hundred. If I could be arsed I'd look at the fervent stay away posters and see how many made the effort? (Was Alpine there? Yorkie?)

More influential was that Reading is our closest league derby and, in part due to Saint's coastal location, for many fans (those that travel in from Basingstoke, Swindon, even London etc.) it was actually an easier journey. Personally I was back home by 6.10pm compared to my usual 7.15pm. "Can we play you every week?" :)

I think they should have been there, although some excuses would suffice (illness, death, forgot bus fare)

however I do wonder if this is the mist recent of the throwing mud in hope some sticks only for it to be later shown to be false -previous non-attnedance, team talk etc

(I always use etc when I can't think of another example;))

Right

So who is going to put their money on the above not being there.

So Fos1 - got a picture of everyone who went to the game - or are you Ruperts driver ?

Unless you are in the hobnob crowd I imagine most of us wouldnt see Lowe or Wilde there.

Was not with hobnob crowd as you put it, but know someone who was and Wilde and Lowe did not attend the game.

Someone who regularly attends games with Lowe and Wilde

Just out of interest - and no disrespect meant ( considering my location ) but were you there ?

Saint Bones was unable to attend for family reasons this weekend, but did go to Donny, Preston, Swansea, Sheff Utd and going to Charlton on Sat, was gutted to miss this one !!

I have no problem with Mr Lowe not attending away matches. He is the plc Chairman and CEO. His time should be spend dealing with plc matters as many have advocated.

I would have expected Mr Wilde to be there as the football Chairman. However, if business or personal engagements precluded him attending who was sent to represent the football board? If no one, it is a poor show. Or is it normal in this league? Do we have representatives from the away club board at all our home games?

I wonder if someone from the club would like to comment? Mr Wilde?

this sh1t makes me chuckle.......

if lowe attends a game its 'swing lowe,from the itchen bridge etc etc' if he doesnt attend then 'he doesnt give a toss about the club'......

im not a fan of the man but this is getting vey silly.....give the bloke a break ffs.

does it really make a diiference if lowe and wilde are there or not.

if he wasnt there then doesnt this blow the whole 'lowe picks the team and gives the teamtalk' theory out of the water? or did he do it by phone or telegram?

this sh1t makes me chuckle.......

if lowe attends a game its 'swing lowe,from the itchen bridge etc etc' if he doesnt attend then 'he doesnt give a toss about the club'......

im not a fan of the man but this is getting vey silly.....give the bloke a break ffs.

does it really make a diiference if lowe and wilde are there or not.

if he wasnt there then doesnt this blow the whole 'lowe picks the team and gives the teamtalk' theory out of the water? or did he do it by phone or telegram?

I don't know if it does tbh. I know a few people at various clubs in senior positions, none of whom attend away matches, but I would expect someone to represent our board.

Lowe and Wilde just can't win with some people, they will use attendance as a stick to beat him with, and non attendance as another.

I think this is a mountain/molehill scenario

Right

So who is going to put their money on the above not being there.

So Fos1 - got a picture of everyone who went to the game - or are you Ruperts driver ?

Unless you are in the hobnob crowd I imagine most of us wouldnt see Lowe or Wilde there.

he,s got all the pictures:)so you got to believe him.

I have no problem with Mr Lowe not attending away matches. He is the plc Chairman and CEO. His time should be spend dealing with plc matters as many have advocated.

I would have expected Mr Wilde to be there as the football Chairman. However, if business or personal engagements precluded him attending who was sent to represent the football board? If no one, it is a poor show. Or is it normal in this league? Do we have representatives from the away club board at all our home games?

I wonder if someone from the club would like to comment? Mr Wilde?

Not sure I agree Ron.

Lowe's main role is as CEO and in that respect he ultimately oversees all footballing matters (BTW I mean he should oversee them, not partake in all of them!!!!!).

Ultimately Jan and his team report to him, so surely he needs to keep abreast of how things are panning out.

It was something I was critical of regards Hone, in that I thought he should have attended all away games to oversee Burley, so think I am being consistent here.

I see his presence at matches more from an operational point of view, than as opposed to being there in an ambassadorial role.

Incredible isnt it ? A fantastic game Saturday and still the bed-wetters are tying themselves up in knots over Lowe.

Yeah but...if noone mentioned Lowe 'some' on here would have been going on about how "...one win and a good performance and all the Lowe haters disappear...", don't you think? ;)

Yeah but...if noone mentioned Lowe 'some' on here would have been going on about how "...one win and a good performance and all the Lowe haters disappear...", don't you think? ;)

Precisely. The Lowe Out campaign won't ever end until it's mission accomplished.

Not sure I agree Ron.

Lowe's main role is as CEO and in that respect he ultimately oversees all footballing matters (BTW I mean he should oversee them, not partake in all of them!!!!!).

Ultimately Jan and his team report to him, so surely he needs to keep abreast of how things are panning out.

It was something I was critical of regards Hone, in that I thought he should have attended all away games to oversee Burley, so think I am being consistent here.

I see his presence at matches more from an operational point of view, than as opposed to being there in an ambassadorial role.

Plus who's going to do the half-time team talk if Rupert's not there (only joking) :D

Not sure I agree Ron.

Steve, it should all be about delegation. Lowe is CEO but he has a football board to report to him on day to day football matters and coaches reporting to the footbal board.

One of the worries about Lowe is that he is too involved downstream. Operations Managers take reports from Line Managers and line that up with data. Wilde and others on the football board are the Line Managers in a crude sort of way.

Incredible isnt it ? A fantastic game Saturday and still the bed-wetters are tying themselves up in knots over Lowe.

I find it incredible that Lowe is paid a large wage, which the club can ill afford at the present time, and yes your right a fantastic game just a shame Lowe had better things to do !!!

Steve, it should all be about delegation. Lowe is CEO but he has a football board to report to him on day to day football matters and coaches reporting to the footbal board.

One of the worries about Lowe is that he is too involved downstream. Operations Managers take reports from Line Managers and line that up with data. Wilde and others on the football board are the Line Managers in a crude sort of way.

But the football board comprises of Lowe, Cowen, Wilde and Jones. Cowen and Wilde aren't line manages in any sense of the term, they are Non Execitives (who may do a bit of work at SMS or from home), but they are not involved in the chain of command.

Ultimately Lowe has his hand on the tiller and Jan reports to him. He should certainly let Jan manage and not interfere in any day to day footballing issues, but he really should be there to be able to judge his direct reports progress.

I don't know if it does tbh. I know a few people at various clubs in senior positions, none of whom attend away matches, but I would expect someone to represent our board.

Lowe and Wilde just can't win with some people, they will use attendance as a stick to beat him with, and non attendance as another.

I think this is a mountain/molehill scenario

It's all about perception, I'm afraid. Mr Lowe will never gain the confidence of Saints supporters as the weight of evidence against his decision making history is so overwhelming. I won't rehearse the evidence against him, but there are so many predictable and unpredictable errors of judgement. As they say in politics - perception is all - and there is never going to be a way round this. He's stuck. I would suggest that it is now inevitable that if he were to step down there would be an additional 4-5000 on the gate just to celebrate. Mr Lowe is a lame duck (pun intended) simply because he can't carry the supporters with him. A fresh start is needed - almost anyone else would unite the fans!

while the lowe haters keep having their wet dreams about him and try to turn every thread into a lowe thread.

sad cases indeed.

up the saints incase they forgotten ,we have a football team who won saturday which upset some of those tossers .

Actually Lowe and Wilde should have been there sucking up to John Madejski to try to get Alex Pearce's loan extended to the end of the season. Much more important than duck shooting.

Suspect Wilde will advise his whereabouts on Saturday just as soon as he has cleared it with Lowe.