Best Bowie album

Crazy Diamond

Thoughts?

I've had his best of for years now but never really got into him. Saw a couple of programmes about him on BBC Four and given my need for new music thought I'd check him out further.

My friend recommended the 'Berlin trio' to me, they're not bad. I think 'Low' is my favourite of those three, but I also quite like some of 'Let's Dance.'

I've got 'Low', '"Heroes"', 'Lodger', 'Station to Station', 'Let's Dance', and 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.' Haven't really listened to much of them apart from 'Low' and 'Let's Dance.'

Thoughts?

I've had his best of for years now but never really got into him. Saw a couple of programmes about him on BBC Four and given my need for new music thought I'd check him out further.

My friend recommended the 'Berlin trio' to me, they're not bad. I think 'Low' is my favourite of those three, but I also quite like some of 'Let's Dance.'

I've got 'Low', '"Heroes"', 'Lodger', 'Station to Station', 'Let's Dance', and 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.' Haven't really listened to much of them apart from 'Low' and 'Let's Dance.'

I dunno how anyone can't have Ziggy as their favourite. Maybe if they is being a bit music snob or something. I do love Bowie and there's stuff worth listening to on all his albums, but Ziggy is the only one without a bum note. In my opinions!

I think I like Low and Hunky Dory the best, although I've never been a huge Bowie fan.

Given your need for new music, why not check out one of the thousands upon thousands of other musics being made, rather than pushing on with a classic rock staple who you've 'never really got into'? Just a thought; I'd imagine, given your user name, that you've heard enough 70s rock/pop to formulate an opinion on Bowie. Are you trying to like him because he's an accepted part of the canon? Why not try listening to some of the music that Bowie and Eno were inspired by during that Berlin period? I could suggest a few if you would like :)

Hope you don't think this is a criticism of your taste. But I do find it puzzling (with such a dazzling multiplicity of music in the world that it's impossible to hear all the different styles and genres, let alone the individual practitioners) that one would go to any great lengths to push on through with an artist so ubiquitous that you probably already know how you feel about him. Is it an acceptance thing? Or part of 'paying your dues' to the classics?

Hope this doesn't come across as patronising, I'm genuinely curious.

I think I like Low and Hunky Dory the best, although I've never been a huge Bowie fan.

Given your need for new music, why not check out one of the thousands upon thousands of other musics being made, rather than pushing on with a classic rock staple who you've 'never really got into'? Just a thought; I'd imagine, given your user name, that you've heard enough 70s rock/pop to formulate an opinion on Bowie. Are you trying to like him because he's an accepted part of the canon? Why not try listening to some of the music that Bowie and Eno were inspired by during that Berlin period? I could suggest a few if you would like :)

Hope you don't think this is a criticism of your taste. But I do find it puzzling (with such a dazzling multiplicity of music in the world that it's impossible to hear all the different styles and genres, let alone the individual practitioners) that one would go to any great lengths to push on through with an artist so ubiquitous that you probably already know how you feel about him. Is it an acceptance thing? Or part of 'paying your dues' to the classics?

Hope this doesn't come across as patronising, I'm genuinely curious.

I've got old tastes in music for my age, I'm 23, and nothing out there at the moment appeals to me. I don't think that will ever change.

I've always like Bowie but never really paid him that much attention - as I say, I heard some more stuff of his the other day and got curious. I don't know if I'm going to any 'great lengths' as such, just curious as to what people think. I do like the Berlin trio stuff and music around that time and of that genre, but I also like his earlier stuff.

I've got old tastes in music for my age, I'm 23, and nothing out there at the moment appeals to me. I don't think that will ever change.

That's pretty depressing, isn't it? 23 and already morbidly fixated with someone else's youth? If nothing current appeals to you, I'd suggest you aren't looking hard enough. Not that it's my business. Each to their own. Low and Hunky Dory, they're the best ones.

That's pretty depressing, isn't it? 23 and already morbidly fixated with someone else's youth? If nothing current appeals to you, I'd suggest you aren't looking hard enough. Not that it's my business. Each to their own. Low and Hunky Dory, they're the best ones.

Sorry but this wasn't a request for a psychiatrist. Patronising? It's very quickly becoming that way.

I've always like Bowie but never really paid him that much attention - as I say, I heard some more stuff of his the other day and got curious. I don't know if I'm going to any 'great lengths' as such, just curious as to what people think. I do like the Berlin trio stuff and music around that time and of that genre, but I also like his earlier stuff.

Sounds like you have made up your mind there. With that attitude you'll never open up to anything.

I get the older music thing. I, like you, am 23. I love load of old bands and artists from right across the spectrum Bowie, The Jam, The Clash, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Eddy Grant (don't knock unless you have seen him live!) & Elvis Costello some of my favourite acts.

I get so frustrated when people say there is no good new music at the moment. It just isn't true. You just have to go out and look for it. Sure, you will probably end up listening to some crap, but that makes it all the more enjoyable when you do find something that just jumps out of the speakers and grabs you by the balls (boobs if you are a lady).

Aladdin Sane by a mile

Ditto Ditto.

First ever inclusion of whacking one off in the lyrics? Don't suppose "Time" got much airplay!!

I know I used to have to skip that track if parents were in vicinity!! That's what you did back then.

Even Bloody Well Right by Supertramp was a bit risque!!

Got tons of Bowie and he was always a fave of mine but I have sort of grown away from him over the years, God dammit , I'm 51 and he's 60-something, nothing lasts forever!

If I could pick one album it would be Hunky Dorey, an absolute taste of what was to come; pure thinking-pop and a chrysalis album from a real-life chameleon. After that 'Heroes' and 'Scary Monsters' show someone who was at the top of their game for 30-plus years (ignoring the many Lows in between).

Great artist/icon but someone who IMO would be better remembered as they were in their prime. I've no desire to seek out the new album, Spotify keeps pushing the new single at me but I haven't bothered to listen to it once.

Always thought Saints should run-out to V2 Schneider, how good and original would that be? Stick your Liquidator, Z Cars and Prokofiev, Cortese's Saints should be running out to some proper European art-house!

And while we are it, have we signed a Brick art-house centre half yet? Maybe the Italian Paul McGrath?

If anyone wants to do some retro time-travelling on Spotify I can thoroughly recommend early XTC, I've got lots on vinyl but I haven't heard it for 30-odd years. Check out White Music 1978 and Drums and Wires 1979 - terrific, it'll make you feel like a grown-up 16 year-old all over again.

Hunky Dory for me. But they're all great from his glam phase.

But if you want the pinnacle of art-glam, the first Roxy Music album is just sensational. Think I got it when I was 19/20 (so 1998/9) and I've never stopped loving it. That's my tip for the 23 year olds on this thread.

Hunky Dory for me. But they're all great from his glam phase.

But if you want the pinnacle of art-glam, the first Roxy Music album is just sensational. Think I got it when I was 19/20 (so 1998/9) and I've never stopped loving it. That's my tip for the 23 year olds on this thread.

Agree the first Roxy Music is the best of the art glam genre (even if by and large its pretty gash). The transitions/shifts in 'if there is something' from geordie country to major freakout and plaintive tracks like 'chance meeting' are fantastic.

They weren't quite the same without Eno.