Dyer

Redondo Saint

Back in the days of both Walcott and Dyer were in the same Saints academy, the comparison was nothing like as clear cut. Dyer had all the pace that Walcott had, and he appeared to have the necessary confidence too. But within 18 months they were miles apart.

Incidentally, at the same time as Walcott and Dyer were comparable, an extremely confident, pacy and skilful striker was being brought on within the academy too. His name was Kenwyne Jones. I saw all three on the same pitch against Eastleigh, and Kenwyne was the best of the bunch. Everyone else thought he was sh!te. Just shows how fortunes can change.

Going to stick my neck out on the line here and say that i thought after the whole mess with the police and the trial his football appeared to improve. I went to the QPR game which i think was the last game he played for us before the move, and he looked very good constantly booed but always looking for the ball. I think he may have turned a corner after seeing that game, i could be wrong of course. Also is the loan move really such a bad idea i thought Robertson was good against Reading?

Back in the days of both Walcott and Dyer were in the same Saints academy, the comparison was nothing like as clear cut. Dyer had all the pace that Walcott had, and he appeared to have the necessary confidence too. But within 18 months they were miles apart.

Incidentally, at the same time as Walcott and Dyer were comparable, an extremely confident, pacy and skilful striker was being brought on within the academy too. His name was Kenwyne Jones. I saw all three on the same pitch against Eastleigh, and Kenwyne was the best of the bunch. Everyone else thought he was sh!te. Just shows how fortunes can change.

Sorry, but there is no denying that in his first professional season, Jones was awful. His control in particular was abysmal. However, after he went to the World Cup in 2006 he improved astronomically and has never looked back.

Sorry, but there is no denying that in his first professional season, Jones was awful. His control in particular was abysmal. However, after he went to the World Cup in 2006 he improved astronomically and has never looked back.

boy was he bad when he first came into the side but that was in the Premiership. I saw his first start at St Andrews and he was the worst player I have ever seen. He made Wotton look classy.

He's not looked back since he was pushed up front rather than playing in midfield where his horrific first touch made him look like a donkey. Only the SMS diots failed to see immediately that he offered a real threat up front despite not taking as many chances as people wanted early doors.

Makes me laugh thinking about all the mongs who said he was average and not worth the £6.5m we sold him for (or was it £4.8m???).

That's because he's shiit and sheff have had him for 2 months so they now know he's ****. We can't loan him out because then the prospective buyer will always see how shiit he is. it was a **** poor decision to offer him a new contract in the first place.

You don't seem to understand the situation. If we HADN'T offered him a new contract he would have walked away from the club for nothing.

By offering him a new contract and then selling him we will make some much needed cash for the club. At the moment Shef Utd and paying his wages so he isn't costing us anything and so even if we was sold to a L2 team for £50,000 this is £50,000 the club would not have had if we hadn't offered him a new contract.

So you couldn't be more wrong to say it was a "**** poor decision". I'm glad you aren't running the club!!

You don't seem to understand the situation. If we HADN'T offered him a new contract he would have walked away from the club for nothing.

By offering him a new contract and then selling him we will make some much needed cash for the club. At the moment Shef Utd and paying his wages so he isn't costing us anything and so even if we was sold to a L2 team for £50,000 this is £50,000 the club would not have had if we hadn't offered him a new contract.

So you couldn't be more wrong to say it was a "**** poor decision". I'm glad you aren't running the club!!

Would we not have got a tribunal fee, like we did with Leon Best?

Would we not have got a tribunal fee, like we did with Leon Best?

Nope. In order to qualify for getting compensation the out of contract player has to be offered a new contract by his club but then refuse it and sign for someone else.

If we hadn't had offered a new contract to Dyer he would have walked away from the club for nowt.....

Yeah, what a joker. Spurs just can't stop laughing at him.

Portsmouth's bean counters aren't. His 'secret' is paying sky high wages to mercenary players, then leaving when he senses the money is running out. And leaving a terrible mess to clean up in his wake. Obviously why he didn't take the Newcastle job - they're running low themselves. And obviously why he left us - Rupes wouldn't open the cheque book for him.

Portsmouth's bean counters aren't. His 'secret' is paying sky high wages to mercenary players, then leaving when he senses the money is running out. And leaving a terrible mess to clean up in his wake. Obviously why he didn't take the Newcastle job - they're running low themselves. And obviously why he left us - Rupes wouldn't open the cheque book for him.

And look at West Ham and Bournemouth too, he left them in a less then solvent position too.

Why did the club offer a new contract to Dyer then immediatley loan him out?

IMO I rate Dyer who has the potential to be a decent player. He's inconsistant like a lot of young players but has pace which is vital in the game today. I would rather have him in Saints squad than Smith, Pullis, Pekhart, Wotton etc.

seemed a strange decision to me to. He's a muchbetter player than Smith and bearing in mind he is still a youngster people need to cut him some slack in terms of his performances on the pitch. Perhaps Jan felt he was not trying hard enough in training or was a bad example to his other youngsters...

I have to say in Robertson we have someone that tries hard but I don't see huge amounts of quality there yet.

Dyer looked easily as good as Walcott in the youth team, and the early days of his first team career. He burst onto the scene and did well, then even better on loan at Burnley where he looked fantastic. But that formed dipped and dipped. I have a feeling he still has the ability in there somewhere. He just changed his game too much. His passing and crossing are quite poor, but just running directly with confidence he was good. He's one I thought JP could really get the best out of, but it seems he won't get the chance.

Same goes for BWP. A player who looked good at Man City, albeit at reserve level mostly, and initially for us. They're frustrating because they range from very good to the worst players ever. But if some manager gets the best from them consistently they'll do very well.

I think the issue here is his character.

Most managers rate skill as less important than character with the younger players.

Has BWP improved without DIRE around?

Agree that DIRE is better player than Smith but no idea if he bothers in training

Would have loved to of seen DIRE try to be clever & coc*ey in training against Benali the model pro with mega heart of southampton inside his chest

Funny you should say that.

I remember some years back watching Benali nail Berkovic at Staplewood. He didn't get up for a couple of minutes until Dennis Rofe told him if he wasn't bleeding it couldn't hurt!!!

No need to apologise. Whilst I can agree with the sentiment, perhaps I can see skill when some other people can't. Don't be sorry for a mass lack of observation. ;)

No need to apologise. Whilst I can agree with the sentiment, perhaps I can see skill when some other people can't. Don't be sorry for a mass lack of observation. ;)

:lol:

If you can see skill in a player taking a touch and it bouncing 2 metres away from him, then you're either a footballing god or easily impressed.