Stern Jon & Rasiak

Smalls

In all honesty I do feel if one of the above 2 were leading our front line our home form would be a lot better. We all know they are not the most mobile players around but they do know where the back of the net is. Countless times crosses rain into the oppositions box but no one is on the end of them. Yes the club will state its a cost saving excise but home wins would surely increase crowd attendances and more or likey we would be nearer to the play offs rather than relegation.

never a truer word spoken. But unfortunately theres nothing we can do about it now. Just have to get on with things and hope that what weve got is good enough. Seems their decision to get rid of all three is going to be hugely expensive.

never a truer word spoken. But unfortunately theres nothing we can do about it now. Just have to get on with things and hope that what weve got is good enough. Seems their decision to get rid of all three is going to be hugely expensive.

Of course they would score if they were playing here like they and Saga are scoring loads for their loan clubs

IF Holmes was playing yesterday he would have scored three.

I still believe if JP had a Plan B and played 2 up front at home we would have won more games, last night being a prime example.

This system is great away, but at home, 1 man upfront ?

You have to be a bloody good centre forward to play that system, even Torres would struggle with that, and we haven't got such great forwards, if they were they wouldnt be on loan to us.

Even if he just tried it for 30 mins in a home game, just to see, but he never ever does.

I'm a big fan of Holmes but I think you may be over rating him in his absense.

Once he's back we will be in a far stronger position but to suggest he would've been worth 3 goals is crazy.

Sorry I agree it was a sarcastic joke you cannot live on what might have been

Perhaps they might score more goals who knows Saga and Rasiak did not score many last season.

Edited by John B

Would be nice to see 4-4-2 for a while, I think we would get the best out of McGoldrick if he was playing upfront alongside Robertson. Last night they just didn't get close enough.

Would love to see John or Rasiak alongside McGoldrick, or even Saga and McGoldrick. Can't see any of thoes three playing for us again though, Saga will probably be the first one out in January followed by Stern.

Would be nice to see 4-4-2 for a while, I think we would get the best out of McGoldrick if he was playing upfront alongside Robertson. Last night they just didn't get close enough.

Would love to see John or Rasiak alongside McGoldrick, or even Saga and McGoldrick. Can't see any of thoes three playing for us again though, Saga will probably be the first one out in January followed by Stern.

That maybe true if they were fit and motivated but it does nothing really for the future so the youngsters should be given their chances

Edited by John B

I still believe if JP had a Plan B and played 2 up front at home we would have won more games, last night being a prime example.

This system is great away, but at home, 1 man upfront ?

You have to be a bloody good centre forward to play that system, even Torres would struggle with that, and we haven't got such great forwards, if they were they wouldnt be on loan to us.

Even if he just tried it for 30 mins in a home game, just to see, but he never ever does.

I just don't see 4-4-2 as a magic key to unlock teams at home. Last night we often had four players in their box when we were attacking, with support from Surman and Schneiderlin. Robertson was only ever isolated up front when we pulled players back to defend and that would happen anyway in a 4-4-2 system. The 4 man attack is a result of the way that we are set up in a 4-2-3-1 and the freedom to swap positions that the system allows the front four to have - often resulting in a 4-2-4 when attacking. I don't recall that ever happening with a team who are playing 4-4-2. If anything that system encourages the resolute 'two banks of four' formation which is the last thing we need if we are looking to be adventurous and break teams down at home.

I agree that we need a plan B but think it's probably more down to having a different style of player to come off the bench rather than a change to 4-4-2.

I just don't see 4-4-2 as a magic key to unlock teams at home. Last night we often had four players in their box when we were attacking, with support from Surman and Schneiderlin. Robertson was only ever isolated up front when we pulled players back to defend and that would happen anyway in a 4-4-2 system. The 4 man attack is a result of the way that we are set up in a 4-2-3-1 and the freedom to swap positions that the system allows the front four to have - often resulting in a 4-2-4 when attacking. I don't recall that ever happening with a team who are playing 4-4-2. If anything that system encourages the resolute 'two banks of four' formation which is the last thing we need if we are looking to be adventurous and break teams down at home.

I agree that we need a plan B but think it's probably more down to having a different style of player to come off the bench rather than a change to 4-4-2.

We did not play well at home last season as well if I recall

Of course they would score if they were playing here like they and Saga are scoring loads for their loan clubs

IF Holmes was playing yesterday he would have scored three.

Sarcasm aside, at the end of the season when were fighting for our very existence I'll remind you that you didn't want our proven goalscorers here ;)

Edited by Mr X
spelling!

That maybe true if they were fit and motivated but it does nothing really for the future so the youngsters should be given their chances

We need some balance imo. Defence is fine with Davis, Perry, Cork and Skacel all experienced, the midfield has a bit of experience with Surman, BWP and Holmes but then upfront we don't have a single experienced player. We need an old head who can help us grind out wins against stubborn defensive sides.

I think our main problem at home is taking to long to get the ball up the pitch, by the time one of our midfielders gets the ball we've already played the ball along the back line 3 times and the opposition have 10 or 11 men behind the ball and there isn't any space. We need to get Schneiderlin and Surman on the ball asap and let one of them hit a cross field ball to one of the wingers and get a cross in before the opposition have gotten men into the box.

We did not play well at home last season as well if I recall

It's a curse I tell eee.

How many goals have we scored at home in league games at SMS?

How many did we score in a similar number of league games at the Dell?

Until we buy up all those tacky houses, run the bulldozer through them and return to our spiritual home we'll continue to not score enough goals at home.

I bet in our play-off season we scored nearly as many away as we did at home, true we got 6 against Wolves though.

It's not just us who are better away from home, there have been nearly as many away wins as home wins in the premiership this season 34 - 29 or something I think. last season in league 2 there where more away wins than home.

Most teams are set up to counter attack and just do better away from home where teams are obliged to attack.

Weren't most of SJ's goals scored away from home too??

We only scored 26 home league goals last season ,4 against Hull,3 against Stoke,West Brom and Sheffield Wednesday. Failed to score in 9 home games and scored a measly 13 goals in the other 10 games.

Strikers on a total of about 50000 quid a week and we score 26 goals at home.

Great bit of business-not.

We only scored 26 home league goals last season ,4 against Hull,3 against Stoke,West Brom and Sheffield Wednesday. Failed to score in 9 home games and scored a measly 13 goals in the other 10 games.

Strikers on a total of about 50000 quid a week and we score 26 goals at home.

Great bit of business-not.

So are we saying that goal scoring at St Mary's has been problem even with Saga John and Rasiak but this season goals cost less

In all honesty I do feel if one of the above 2 were leading our front line our home form would be a lot better. We all know they are not the most mobile players around but they do know where the back of the net is. Countless times crosses rain into the oppositions box but no one is on the end of them. Yes the club will state its a cost saving excise but home wins would surely increase crowd attendances and more or likey we would be nearer to the play offs rather than relegation.

I don't think anyone can say that DMG doesn't know where the back of the net is, given the number of goals he's scored over his career, but just like Saga, a striker can hit a lean patch. Remember when Beattie went months without scoring? Then BWP comes along and gets 2 goals to show that the opposite can happen. Seems to me that if SJ and GR were still here, we'd just be complaining about different players!

Lies, damn lies and statistics - why Stern John is worth three McGoldricks!

http://www.southampton-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=419219

Surely the current situation with us in the Lower Reaches is to be expected but as long as we do not get relegated with these young players things should improve.

I am not upset at our league position although I would have hoped for another five or six points but the club is building for the future .