Spending minimum on credit/debits cards?

Barry Sanchez

Basically Bazza, you are just going to accept (against your instincts I know) that times are a-changing.

The good old days are gone, and things will progress - no matter how much you moan about it.

True, but I will always be a cash man, wife uses card all the time, I dont moan then as she is paying, small transactions its pointless, what do people do when there are no facilties? Or the facilties are not working?

Edited by Barry Sanchez

I dont carry cash, I just carry a card. there is about £5 cash in the car for parking meters but I dont spend that often.

I pay everything direct debit, I buy food once a week, I get most of my DIY supplies on ebay with PayPal...

but occasionally I need a pencil, a bag of crisps or a cup of coffee and buy it on my card (Just solely to wind barry up :) )

I am not skint... tight, yes, but not skint.

My butcher does not take cards as he says it costs too much to do and meat from supermarkets is generally ****, what about smaller shops?

True, but I will always be a cash man, wife uses card all the time, I dont moan then as she is paying, small transactions its pointless, what do people do when there are no facilties? Or the facilties are not working?

I dunno. I use my card a lot as I work just off Carnaby Street. There are only 3 Cash Points near by, and predictably the queue is always huge!

Generally, I only use cash if I have to. I dislike having cash, I just burn through it too quickly, not that I'm massively better on my card.

I work in a shop, people get really annoyed by having to wait 2 minutes for their sh!t. Always pay by card unless I know I need cash (pubs at games, away day service stations, corner shops).

I always use self-service machines in supermarkets too, just to save being stuck behind some obese family of 14 who've bought every packet of crisps in the shop. That's what annoys me, people buying too much sh!t. How they pay for it matters not.

Do you work in that Newsagents on Portswood Road opposite Georges chippy? There was an odd little fat kid behind the till the other day when i popped in.

Mrs D here, I work in the lottery/cigarette kiosk and the ones that annoy me are those impatient gits that try to to hand me their items whilst I am still dealing with the customer in front of them. If you don't have the time to wait your turn then don't go shopping, simples

Are you referring to those annoying people that, having paid for their goods, then take an eternity to put their goods in their bag and put their purse/wallet away whilst staying at the counter rather than being courteous and moving to one side to do it?

Are you referring to those annoying people that, having paid for their goods, then take an eternity to put their goods in their bag and put their purse/wallet away whilst staying at the counter rather than being courteous and moving to one side to do it?

Nope, I'm referring to those that try to hand you their items the moment you have given the previous customer their change without giving said customer any chance to put their change in their pocket never mind anything else. In fact one obnoxious customer actually knocked the change out of my hand as I was handing it over in his eagerness to shove a newspaper at me.

There's another advantage with plastic as I get lumbered with far less 1p and 2p coins in change. I always chuck those in a box when I empty my change and being lazy eventually convert them in a coinstar machine and lose 7% in the process. But that happens far less than even three years ago to me because so many more places accept plastic now.

I have also noticed that if you use cash at the self pay machines in supermarkets they never dispense either 2p coins or 50p coins in the change. So you get a load of additional 1p, 10p and 20p coins unnecessarily.

Although a few months ago I used a £2 coin in a self pay machine for some small item of about 50p and it completed the sale, gave me a receipt and refused to drop the change. I let the machine supervisor know about it and then had to hang around for about 5 minutes while she went off to check with the CCTV operator that the change hadn't fallen out of the machine and I wasn't fibbing for the sake of £1.50. She was most apologetic when she returned but it was another bad cash experience!! It also made me unpopular with other people using the machines who needed help while she was away checking my transaction.

This is an unexpectedly good thread. Congratulations Barry :-)

Edited by TopGun

I don't think turning up for work constitutes stalking you, you stalker. I would be the one with Michael on his name badge btw.

Deliberately getting a job near where i live and a shop i go in does though. I will say "hello" next time i see you in there.

Deliberately getting a job near where i live and a shop i go in does though. I will say "hello" next time i see you in there.

I suppose you're right. How will I know it's you though? I think when you approach the counter you should go in for a quick high five. Nothing serious, just a sneaky one. Then I will know.

I'd ban all coins, do my head in. I'd also re-introduce £1 notes. Don't the Europeans have a card that you can load petty cash onto for things like bread and milk etc. That would be good too. I can't believe in 2013 I still have to lug around poxy change.

If I carry cash I spend it on crap. If I carry cards around I generally don't.

You can call that being skint or tight if you want, but times are hard! People need to try and cut down on unnecessary spending and carrying no cash around is something I personally find helps me.

I don't agree in getting a beer or 2 in a busy pub on card, but normally know when I'm going for a few beers.

Fwiw my local pub in my village has a £20 limit, but you can buy less, just charge you £20 and give you te change from £20 in cash.

I'd ban all coins, do my head in. I'd also re-introduce £1 notes. Don't the Europeans have a card that you can load petty cash onto for things like bread and milk etc. That would be good too. I can't believe in 2013 I still have to lug around poxy change.

I understand the sentiment but you couldn't have £1 notes or coins without smaller value coins unless the minimum price for anything was £1.

£10 limit would be fair, what is it with people who dont carry any cash around for small things? Corner shops hate taking them, so why do it to them, just give them a £1 for a paper, what about an impulse charity donation? Nipping into a charity shop? Death of the high street and more money to the banks.

I understand the sentiment but you couldn't have £1 notes or coins without smaller value coins unless the minimum price for anything was £1.

No you could get rid of copper though by still having things at their price but at the the end to transaction the bill is either rounded up or down to the nearest 5 or 0.

No you could get rid of copper though by still having things at their price but at the the end to transaction the bill is either rounded up or down to the nearest 5 or 0.

There is no way anybody would round my bill up the only way for that to work if it was legislated that bills were rounded down.

Also look what happened when they went decimal all prices rose.

When they got rid of the Halfpennny prices rose

When europe went over to the Euro prices across the continent rose.

Small coins are required for small transactions and chase the ace at christmas with the relatives.

There is no way anybody would round my bill up the only way for that to work if it was legislated that bills were rounded down.

Also look what happened when they went decimal all prices rose.

When they got rid of the Halfpennny prices rose

When europe went over to the Euro prices across the continent rose.

Small coins are required for small transactions and chase the ace at christmas with the relatives.

Australia and New Zealand manage this huge hurdle fine.

£10 limit would be fair, what is it with people who dont carry any cash around for small things? Corner shops hate taking them, so why do it to them, just give them a £1 for a paper, what about an impulse charity donation? Nipping into a charity shop? Death of the high street and more money to the banks.

you know what I'm going to say bazza,

shops need to adapt, can't keep living in the past saying this is once how we took payment - therefore it always should be.

as peoples habits and behaviours change, shops (if they wish to be successful) need to change with them.

it is widely acknowledged that a lot of HMV's problems stemmed from shift in consumer trends.

****ing bellends who pay for £1.17 or any old ****e on their card ****ing make me want to explode, we have all been there and all been skint at some point, no shame in that at all, but at my local small asda this bellend knob has paid for his paper with his card now twice this week! What the **** is that all about, makes my blood boil when this quiffy rent boys buy two beers with a card as well making you wait whilst they sweat over whether it goes through, should there be say a £10 minimum? I can remember this fellow from years ago who came out and said he never carries any cash at all ever, and yes he was an absolute tit.

I say deffo minimum.

I very rarely carry cash and pay for everything on card if I can, If I have cash on me it will be wasted in the bookies so I can totally understand why people do this.