Mathieu Flamini

ToreSF

I doubt very much that we will buy a high-wage earning 29 year-old, especially with a wealth of talent coming through the Academy. And frankly it's a bit daft even thinking we will.
Is it any different in signing a high-wage earning 27 year old such as Steve Davis? Who from the academy do you think can provide good enough cover should Schneiderlin or Cork be out for a while?

Erm Ward Prowse? You know, the boy who played so well against Man U?

Still not effective enough to play as one of the DM's though is he. I mean he is a cracking talent, but he's still got a lot of learning to do if he is going to play in one of those 2 positions. He's more attacking and likes to go chasing after the ball. No surprise our season turned around as soon as we had Morgan and Cork back together.

Erm, not even close to being good enough to fill in for Schneirderlin or Cork I'm afraid.

in his initial games he looked like he might have enough as part of a three man midfield, but he's had so few opportunities since then that its hard to assess what he can and can't do right now. Time on his side. Davis has been great at the front of a three man, but in a two he doesn't cover the ground anywhere near as well as Cork and Morgan. If either of them got injured we'd have problems, but isn't that always the case?

in his initial games he looked like he might have enough as part of a three man midfield, but he's had so few opportunities since then that its hard to assess what he can and can't do right now. Time on his side. Davis has been great at the front of a three man, but in a two he doesn't cover the ground anywhere near as well as Cork and Morgan. If either of them got injured we'd have problems, but isn't that always the case?
That's why it's important to build an actual squad. We have strength in depth in some areas, not in others.

Is it any different in signing a high-wage earning 27 year old such as Steve Davis? Who from the academy do you think can provide good enough cover should Schneiderlin or Cork be out for a while?

I'm only guessing here, but I would think Flaminis wage demands would be much higher than Davis'.

I'm only guessing here, but I would think Flaminis wage demands would be much higher than Davis'.
They'd be higher I'd expect, but the principle is the same, Davis is late 20s, will be on big-ish money, the idea that we won't or shouldn't go for anyone in that bracket is wrong.

So we want someone who's as good as cork and Morgan who's willing to sit on the bench just in case there's an injury to one of the players? Ok.

If we get another player in that position it'll be because they're better than what we have.

So we want someone who's as good as cork and Morgan who's willing to sit on the bench just in case there's an injury to one of the players? Ok.

If we get another player in that position it'll be because they're better than what we have.

Who has said "as good as"? No-one. Football is no as simple as that. So what would you do about our left back position? Continue to have Fox as cover? Or drop Shaw and bring someone else in that is better than him?

Who has said "as good as"? No-one. Football is no as simple as that. So what would you do about our left back position? Continue to have Fox as cover? Or drop Shaw and bring someone else in that is better than him?

I think the key is to get the right balance in the squad. When you have a partnership which has been as effective as Cork and Morgan, I doubt you would go into pre-season looking to replace either. However, you don't want to be reliant on that partnership to the extent that you can't win without either of them.

Like you I would suggest that JWP isn't ready yet, not in a CM of two. I would think that signing an older head who appreciates that they won't necessarily play every week but has the desire to compete for a starting spot would be ideal.

They'd be higher I'd expect, but the principle is the same, Davis is late 20s, will be on big-ish money, the idea that we won't or shouldn't go for anyone in that bracket is wrong.

Well, if your look at our signings last summer and in january, I think its fair to say that we are primarily looking for players that are younger than 27. While I agree we can't rely entirely on our academy, I certainly don't think signing players on big wages and little sale on value would be very smart.

I think the key is to get the right balance in the squad. When you have a partnership which has been as effective as Cork and Morgan, I doubt you would go into pre-season looking to replace either. However, you don't want to be reliant on that partnership to the extent that you can't win without either of them.

Like you I would suggest that JWP isn't ready yet, not in a CM of two. I would think that signing an older head who appreciates that they won't necessarily play every week but has the desire to compete for a starting spot would be ideal.

Exactly that.

Well, if your look at our signings last summer and in january, I think its fair to say that we are primarily looking for players that are younger than 27. While I agree we can't rely entirely on our academy, I certainly don't think signing players on big wages and little sale on value would be very smart.
You don't think signing Boruc or Davis was very smart? Fair enough.

We wont be able to afford anyone who is better than Cork and Morgan IMO.

Couldn't agree more

You don't think signing Boruc or Davis was very smart? Fair enough.

As I said before, I doubt Davis is on very high wages, also we paid peanuts for him. He was a low risk signing, IMO. Don't know about Borucs wages either, as his unemployment at the time suggests he wasn't targeted by a lot of clubs. Either way, he didn't exactly look like the signing of the season before he stepped up in december, IIRC.

As I said before, I doubt Davis is on very high wages, also we paid peanuts for him. He was a low risk signing, IMO. Don't know about Borucs wages either, as his unemployment at the time suggests he wasn't targeted by a lot of clubs. Either way, he didn't exactly look like the signing of the season before he stepped up in december, IIRC.
Davis and Boruc will both be on pretty decent money - they've both proved to be good deals and it's unlikely we'll sell either for much in the future - Flamini would be on a free as well. Out of interest, what's the most we should be paying a player per week that will probably have little or no sell-on value?

Davis and Boruc will both be on pretty decent money - they've both proved to be good deals and it's unlikely we'll sell either for much in the future - Flamini would be on a free as well. Out of interest, what's the most we should be paying a player per week that will probably have little or no sell-on value?

According to wiki, Flamini is on a 90k/week at Milan. This are the kind of wages I'm talking about, and I don't think Boruc or Davis are anywhere near that.

I think it would be incredible stupid to spend that kind of money on a player that won't become any better or have any sell-on value, and especially if he wasn't supposed to be first choice. It's a QPR kind of business.

According to wiki, Flamini is on a 90k/week at Milan. This are the kind of wages I'm talking about, and I don't think Boruc or Davis are anywhere near that.

I think it would be incredible stupid to spend that kind of money on a player that won't become any better or have any sell-on value, and especially if he wasn't supposed to be first choice. It's a QPR kind of business.

No-one is going to be paying him 90k a week on his new contract are they? QPR's kind of business was poor player selection, poor management and a poor team ethic - that's not necesserily linked to how old a player is or how much you're paying them. What would be your limit to pay a player per week that is in his late 20s, proven Prem quality, would greatly stengthen our squad, but might not have much sell on value.?

4.5 millions gross in 2011/12 but took a big pay-cut this season because of his injury record. Only on 1.5 millions gross this season apparently, no doubt there are some bonuses though.

As per usual for the francophones, look forward to the oft hilarious automatic translations.

http://www.foot01.com/foot-europeen/italie/flamini-prolonge-a-milan-mais-baisse-son-salaire,90468

Edited by Window Cleaner

No-one is going to be paying him 90k a week on his new contract are they? QPR's kind of business was poor player selection, poor management and a poor team ethic - that's not necesserily linked to how old a player is or how much you're paying them. What would be your limit to pay a player per week that is in his late 20s, proven Prem quality, would greatly stengthen our squad, but might not have much sell on value.?

I have no idea, mate, and it's never been my point that we never should sign a player aged above 27. But it seems like the clubs transfer policy is to go for younger players with a bit of potential, rather than players on the verge of decline. From a financial perspective, that is without doubt a smarter strategy IMO. And yes, I know that it sometimes is hit and miss with unproven players, but so are the case with "proven Prem quality", just look at Park and Bosingwa.

Don't think wages will be as much of an issue as is being assumed on here.

A year ago he was released by Milan, only to sign a years contract on significantly reduced wages a few days later. Think if both us and villa 'are' interested then would assume his sights are lower than they were when left the gooners.

I think he'd be great competition for morgs and cork.

Or if Schneiderlin gets suspended...?
Exactly. Think there may have even been a case for replacing Schneiderlin on Saturday as he seemed to be walking a bit of a tightrope with his early booking, but we have no-one close to similar quality off the bench.