Venting my Spleen

Channon's Sideburns

It was a design by Patrick specifically to commemorate the 100th year of the club - a 'one-off' for a reason.

You can't use that to justify this latest decision. Centenaries are normally a bit more celebrated than 125th's.

so. was there outrage as it sure as **** was not a 'traditional' red and white striped kit. it did not look back to when the club was formed. it was just a plain red shirt pretty much

so. was there outrage as it sure as **** was not a 'traditional' red and white striped kit. it did not look back to when the club was formed. it was just a plain red shirt pretty much

It wasn't universally popular - especially as it followed the Rank Xerox shirt (which was popular) and a pretty good FA Cup run.

But, they tried to alleviate the 'redness' with black shorts (with side banding of red, white & black) and white socks.

It wasn't universally popular - especially as it followed the Rank Xerox shirt (which was popular) and a pretty good FA Cup run.

But, they tried to alleviate the 'redness' with black shorts (with side banding of red, white & black) and white socks.

ah well. well we have a solid red top again for a season or two. Just like we did back then

The Ugly Inside did a S.I.C.K (Saints In Conventional Kit) campaign so I guess some people were not happy. I didn't mind any of the 80's kits as they still looked like 'Southampton' to me.

Perhaps - or maybe this'll be Saints as we know it from now on.

If that does happen, it would be a very sad day.

Im guessing, if stripes have been that essential that what you have said is not the first time it has been said in our history.

Apologies if this has been stated before but browsing the Saints online 'Retail Store' I came across the Retro's section with some nice alternatives to the new shirt old and cheaper too!

I get the moaning about the kit being awful. But all this crap about erasing history etc. well, is crap

Too true.

Of course Barcelona are less personal and accessible than Sholing but there is some bizarre character traits being shown on here.

We have had much worse kits.

NC has had a traditional striped kit and centenary kit.

Most years in last 35 odd years we haven't had those.

We have never been consulted or had designs explained to us.

Apart from centenary ;)

I blame alpine and his pretend (no one is that stupid!) Moans. - crap transfer policy when we are probably only team who has moved forward every window since NC arrived. Failed because gone straight from -10 league 1 to 14th in premiership. Failed because in period when very few transfers done we have signed a young current international player. What do we need?!!

This isn't politics / family / health / work etc. Its a hobby! Yes I am positive, don't moan without full story, don't write off players - because this is my enjoyment, pleasure, hobby.

I do get irrationally upset and grumpy with family when we lose - I shouldn't.

But if a pattern upset me, or moving from umbro to adidas (without knowing contract) or every signing disappointed me - I would stop giving it my time. My family etc are more important.

Forums are great for range of views, gossip, reviews of away games etc.

But it has bred attention seeking drama queens. People never moaned about not being told about kit contracts etc.

History erased? Bollo cks!

Most moaners struggle to put their moans into logical rationale arguments!

Feel better now! Lol :)

We have never been consulted or had designs explained to us.

Most moaners struggle to put their moans into logical rationale arguments!

...and some people get stuff plain wrong.

We have been consulted in the past - there used to be votes in the Echo.

Once we could have voted for a Monaco style kit in honour of Hoddle.

Luckily it didn't win as Glenda left before the season was out.

...and some people get stuff plain wrong.

We have been consulted in the past - there used to be votes in the Echo.

Once we could have voted for a Monaco style kit in honour of Hoddle.

Luckily it didn't win as Glenda left before the season was out.

didnt they show off 4 shirt designs at the dell that time?

didnt they show off 4 shirt designs at the dell that time?

I think they did - there definitely were mock up shirts of those designs.

Presumably The9 spends hours on Ebay desperately hunting them out.

I only just took a look at this kit. FWIW it looks truly **** to me. What are those flappy white arm bits all about? Looks like a s-h-i-t version of an arsenal kit.

However, I think the OP's issues go deeper than just thinking the kit is ****. He has control issues "I don't like other people telling me what my club's kit should look like" Seriously. Who gives a ****.

It truly astounds me when people say it's only a kit but they are entitled to their opinion. Support the club not the kit sounds a load of balls to me. What frustrates me most is the complete lack of discourse between the club and fans. It's put up or shut up as far as I can see. in fact it's not even that, I doubt they'd care if there was a Tahir Sq style protest outside the megastore, we'd still not get an explanation as to the why's and wherefores of the change.

I know there are more important things in life nowadays to get worked up about but this totalitarian regime really makes my blood boil.

I only just took a look at this kit. FWIW it looks truly **** to me. What are those flappy white arm bits all about? Looks like a s-h-i-t version of an arsenal kit.

However, I think the OP's issues go deeper than just thinking the kit is ****. He has control issues "I don't like other people telling me what my club's kit should look like" Seriously. Who gives a ****.

Where did I say in my original post 'I don't like other people telling me....'?!

By all means disagree with my point of view but don't make **** up.

It truly astounds me when people say it's only a kit but they are entitled to their opinion. Support the club not the kit sounds a load of balls to me. What frustrates me most is the complete lack of discourse between the club and fans. It's put up or shut up as far as I can see. in fact it's not even that, I doubt they'd care if there was a Tahir Sq style protest outside the megastore, we'd still not get an explanation as to the why's and wherefores of the change.

I know there are more important things in life nowadays to get worked up about but this totalitarian regime really makes my blood boil.

Think the support the team not kit is based on throughout the many variations of kits, majority not even traditional red/white stripes it has still been our club. Not like Sunderland who are the team who always have that kit.

The club did say why the kit changed..

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/southampton-fc-are-all-in-839343.aspx

I don't get this "discourse " bit? What conversations were we having with the club in the 80's or 90's?

At least now there is official site, twitter, saintstv, YouTube insights etc - albeit one way and managed but we know more now than we have under any previous regime.

Think the support the team not kit is based on throughout the many variations of kits, majority not even traditional red/white stripes it has still been our club. Not like Sunderland who are the team who always have that kit.

The club did say why the kit changed..

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/southampton-fc-are-all-in-839343.aspx

I don't get this "discourse " bit? What conversations were we having with the club in the 80's or 90's?

At least now there is official site, twitter, saintstv, YouTube insights etc - albeit one way and managed but we know more now than we have under any previous regime.

You sure that's the right link Nick?

There's nothing in that article which explains why the kit is all red. ;)

You sure that's the right link Nick?

There's nothing in that article which explains why the kit is all red. ;)

Shuush.

This is a golden age of discourse with the fans. We've got Twitter and everything. We know more than we've ever known before ever ever.

Edited by CB Fry

Totalitarian regime? Big lols.

There's a thread about coppers confiscating the possessions of the homeless over in the Lounge, mate.

It has about four posts, including two from me. Virtually no-one cares, but it's a much better fit for accusations of totalitarian regime than a football club changing its shirt.

It really is getting a bit silly when there is mention of the current troubles in Egypt and labelling of the board of a football club as a totalitarian regime, just because some fans don't like the new football strip they introduced.

I suggest that you try and get a bit more perspective into your life and realise that there are far more important things to get worked up about, things that make a real difference.

It really is getting a bit silly when there is mention of the current troubles in Egypt and labelling of the board of a football club as a totalitarian regime, just because some fans don't like the new football strip they introduced.

I suggest that you try and get a bit more perspective into your life and realise that there are far more important things to get worked up about, things that make a real difference.

I don't think anybody is really suggesting this are they? 'Everybody' understands that there are much greater things to get wound up about, and in the big scheme of things what shirt your football team wears is relatively small beer.

Flip that over and shouldn't the same apply to the club? The 'club' may want to: play in red/re-brand/move-on, but is it really such a big deal for them? The vast majority of fans clearly want the club to wear some variant of red and white stripes/black shorts.

If there is a reason we are moving to a predominantly 'plain' red style shirt (and red/white shorts) and the evidence tends to point that way, then surely it is not unreasonable for fans to expect a small explanation/justification?

The club seem to be putting their desire to play in plain red/white ahead of what 'most' supporters want, if this really is such a big deal for them (they make more money / solids are more successful than stripes / advertisers pay more for solid colour over stripes / teams play better in red / stripe teams never win anything / foreign nufans prefer solid colour / vision coaches prefer solids to stripes etc etc etc) then they should share this with the fanbase who would be far more accepting of these changes if they came out and honestly explained the rationale behind the changes. If it is no big deal to the club (either way) and they can't provide a rationale explanation then people IMO are entitled to be disgruntled.

Nobody thinks any of this is more important than real-life, but it is quite annoying in a football-shirt type of way.

I don't think anybody is really suggesting this are they? 'Everybody' understands that there are much greater things to get wound up about, and in the big scheme of things what shirt your football team wears is relatively small beer.

Flip that over and shouldn't the same apply to the club? The 'club' may want to: play in red/re-brand/move-on, but is it really such a big deal for them? The vast majority of fans clearly want the club to wear some variant of red and white stripes/black shorts.

If there is a reason we are moving to a predominantly 'plain' red style shirt (and red/white shorts) and the evidence tends to point that way, then surely it is not unreasonable for fans to expect a small explanation/justification?

The club seem to be putting their desire to play in plain red/white ahead of what 'most' supporters want, if this really is such a big deal for them (they make more money / solids are more successful than stripes / advertisers pay more for solid colour over stripes / teams play better in red / stripe teams never win anything / foreign nufans prefer solid colour / vision coaches prefer solids to stripes etc etc etc) then they should share this with the fanbase who would be far more accepting of these changes if they came out and honestly explained the rationale behind the changes. If it is no big deal to the club (either way) and they can't provide a rationale explanation then people IMO are entitled to be disgruntled.

Nobody thinks any of this is more important than real-life, but it is quite annoying in a football-shirt type of way.

Did I really invite such a detailed reply about the broader aspects of the situation, just because I expressed the opinion that likening the club's board to a totalitarian regime was a bit extreme?

Did I really invite such a detailed reply about the broader aspects of the situation, just because I expressed the opinion that likening the club's board to a totalitarian regime was a bit extreme?

That's me told (in reply to you calling somebody else 'silly' and going on to tell them how to behave ie 'get some perspective').

I thought I was moving the debate on (by giving my take on the situation) and agreeing with you that there are more important things out there.