Venting my Spleen

Channon's Sideburns

The ones that accept it would blindly accept anything if it meant we kept buying these multi-million pound players and kept our place in the Prem. Football's gone to pot now. Look at Cardiff. They've rolled over and accepted it and they've got one of the traditionally more 'boisterous' supports and I thought they'd have some b*llocks to stand up to what that Vincent Tan has done there. I bet a lot of the ones saying it's just a kit would be some of the first ones complaining about the kit and us losing our identity if we were to drop back out of the Prem. To most it's the be all and end all to see us in the top league and where do you draw the line? We've changed the kit, the badge has had its colour needlessly removed and the gold just makes us look like we're trying to be big-time when we're not. What if we changed kit colour completely? Stadium name to some Red Bull cr*p? You'd still all come up with your excuses about how it's just a colour or just a name.

If there is one thing we've learnt on this incredible journey is that Cortese is not afraid to make decisions which whilst on the face if it are unpopular and appear to be strange, yet even his biggest critic would be unable to argue that decison after decison have proven to be correct and benefitted the club both commercially and soccerbally.

I invite you to cast your minds back to August 2010 and January 2013. Unpopular decisions were greated with 'venting of spleens' and 'outage' yet here we are, almost three years on from one decision and 6 months on from the other and who coulda argue that these decisions have be proven to be not only correct but a resounding success.

People say they hate the kit and what it stands for. I say that what it stands for is the new Southampton, the club that won't be pushed around, the club that is no longer happy to survive in the top league and be a breeding ground for other clubs players. Tis is a strong and defiant kit, a kit which means business.

In many ways it reflects our chairman, not popular at the moment and perhaps controversial. But it stands out, taps the shoulders of the establishment and says we are not afraid, we are evolving, we are changing and stand aside, we are coming for you. No true Saints fan will be against this kit, they will see what it means, they will see how it takes us into a new chapter for SFC, whilst embracing our past. Wen you see this kit you think of Cortese, you think of defiance and our evolution as a club. You will grow to love it and like everything else on this glorious rise from the ashes, you will agree eventually that it was the correct decison.

As long as the home colour is red (either all red or predominantly so) I don't give a big rats arse if there are stripes in it or not. If it changed to blue then I would get the hump, but since that is not the case - not bothered.

PS I never wear (or buy) replica shirts anyway. I think they look stupid - especially on middle-aged pot bellied blokes wearing shell suit trousers and trainers.

I am a bit peeved by the fact that it matches the Bristol City kit though :(

Anyone comparing our kit to what Cardiff have done has lost the plot IMO.

We haven't changed our colours at all. Our current kit has less white than others have and is not striped as lots of our other kits have been.

But we have had lots of different kits before and will do again. If the club have lost sight of the history why pick the sash a couple of years ago, not like they are reliant on kit income.

OK here we go, my turn to vent my spleen. (I accept opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they are equally important to each and everyone of us)

I have never liked stripes. Yes of course they are us, but I personally have never liked them. Hell we won our biggest trophy NOT wearing them.

I have bought far more striped shirts than I should have through the years and I have worn them proudly to games home and away, and hell, even to Test Matches in Aus & Pakistan. But I never LIKED them.

I never liked them because they look stupid anywhere EXCEPT a sporting venue. In fact I never wore a striped shirt EXCEPT at a sporting venue.

But over the years I wore plain away shirts down the pub or shopping, they never (to me) seemed naff, although I did HATE the sponsor logo.

Then came the Sash Shirt. I have worn that EVERYWHERE. I wear it to play golf, I wore it on TV with some of the biggest names when working at golf. I wore it on holiday, down the pub. I STILL wear it. It is a bloody great shirt, hell even Turk's favourite Ralph Lauren copied it (sort of).

Last season for much the same reasons I bought the white Away shirt. I have worn that everywhere (EXCEPT at matches - we lost the 4 times I wore it n match days so I was banned from wearing it to the pub & Norwich away). Christ I even blagged an Upgrade while wearing it on a flight home.

It looked OK with jeans, as in fact did the home shirt of last year when Mrs DP wears hers.

So I saw we were getting another RED shirt I wasn't THAT "angry", personally I would have preferred at least some "nod" towards stripes like we had last year (but understand the Business world & templates well enough to know that was a pipe dream).

But and here is the rub. Even though it is a plain shirt, IT STILL LOOKS NAFF.

Eric said it best when he asked why we had "ST's" wrapped around the arms. They are just NAFF. And then the gold lettering.

OK so I could understand that IF (as alleged) we were going to be carrying a globally recognised CLASSY brand such as Lotus, but with a Gold aap3 smiley? Really? I cannot see that enhancing THEIR brand image. Are THEY changing ALL their Letterheads, logos, business cards etc to Gold? Not from what I have seen on Twitter so far.

So we are left with this concoction that reflects SOMETHING WENT WRONG with the big plan. IF they can screw something up (in my mind at least) before the season has even STARTED, then that does NOT fill me with confidence about other big decisions that people will be making.

So, I actually wanted a plain shirt. But what we have been given is a crock of sh1t. OF COURSE kids love it. They don't understand our history, to them MLT is something their Dad talks about, they won't understand you lot going on about Keegan and Xerox either, so of course THE KIDS wanted the kit today.

To me it is a disaster that fails on every level.

Christ, I'd rather wear an old stripes shirt out clubbing next weekend than pay for this piece of naffness.

Completely agree Phil.

May I just add that I think the design is particularly naff, and if I was anything to do with aap I'd be apoplectic - the gold logo is hardly VISIBLE against the red, and brand visibility is the whole point of shirt sponsorship.

I actually combined a lovely sunny day and a 120 mile round trio on my motorbike to ride to the West Quay arriving about 1 30 pm, queued up for 10 mins to buy a new shirt. I personally don't agree with no stripes and the generic Adidas template, But, it isn't actually that bad. Does this make me a lifelong passionate Saints fan an idiot?

If there is one thing we've learnt on this incredible journey is that Cortese is not afraid to make decisions which whilst on the face if it are unpopular and appear to be strange, yet even his biggest critic would be unable to argue that decison after decison have proven to be correct and benefitted the club both commercially and soccerbally.

I invite you to cast your minds back to August 2010 and January 2013. Unpopular decisions were greated with 'venting of spleens' and 'outage' yet here we are, almost three years on from one decision and 6 months on from the other and who coulda argue that these decisions have be proven to be not only correct but a resounding success.

People say they hate the kit and what it stands for. I say that what it stands for is the new Southampton, the club that won't be pushed around, the club that is no longer happy to survive in the top league and be a breeding ground for other clubs players. Tis is a strong and defiant kit, a kit which means business.

In many ways it reflects our chairman, not popular at the moment and perhaps controversial. But it stands out, taps the shoulders of the establishment and says we are not afraid, we are evolving, we are changing and stand aside, we are coming for you. No true Saints fan will be against this kit, they will see what it means, they will see how it takes us into a new chapter for SFC, whilst embracing our past. Wen you see this kit you think of Cortese, you think of defiance and our evolution as a club. You will grow to love it and like everything else on this glorious rise from the ashes, you will agree eventually that it was the correct decison.

Well said Sir

where have you been for the last 20 years? The PL has changed everything and a lot of top clubs are just billionaire play things.

That's life or you could always start a break away club back in the non leagues like manchester whatever they are called. I am sure you would find allies here

Personally I would rather go to a full ground and watch world class players. Each to their own I suppose.

I respect your opinion about the kit I don't agree and don't see why I should be called names because of that. I wouldn't dream of insulting you because my opinion differed from yours?

OK here we go, my turn to vent my spleen. (I accept opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they are equally important to each and everyone of us)

I have never liked stripes. Yes of course they are us, but I personally have never liked them. Hell we won our biggest trophy NOT wearing them.

I have bought far more striped shirts than I should have through the years and I have worn them proudly to games home and away, and hell, even to Test Matches in Aus & Pakistan. But I never LIKED them.

I never liked them because they look stupid anywhere EXCEPT a sporting venue. In fact I never wore a striped shirt EXCEPT at a sporting venue.

But over the years I wore plain away shirts down the pub or shopping, they never (to me) seemed naff, although I did HATE the sponsor logo.

Then came the Sash Shirt. I have worn that EVERYWHERE. I wear it to play golf, I wore it on TV with some of the biggest names when working at golf. I wore it on holiday, down the pub. I STILL wear it. It is a bloody great shirt, hell even Turk's favourite Ralph Lauren copied it (sort of).

Last season for much the same reasons I bought the white Away shirt. I have worn that everywhere (EXCEPT at matches - we lost the 4 times I wore it n match days so I was banned from wearing it to the pub & Norwich away). Christ I even blagged an Upgrade while wearing it on a flight home.

It looked OK with jeans, as in fact did the home shirt of last year when Mrs DP wears hers.

So I saw we were getting another RED shirt I wasn't THAT "angry", personally I would have preferred at least some "nod" towards stripes like we had last year (but understand the Business world & templates well enough to know that was a pipe dream).

But and here is the rub. Even though it is a plain shirt, IT STILL LOOKS NAFF.

Eric said it best when he asked why we had "ST's" wrapped around the arms. They are just NAFF. And then the gold lettering.

OK so I could understand that IF (as alleged) we were going to be carrying a globally recognised CLASSY brand such as Lotus, but with a Gold aap3 smiley? Really? I cannot see that enhancing THEIR brand image. Are THEY changing ALL their Letterheads, logos, business cards etc to Gold? Not from what I have seen on Twitter so far.

So we are left with this concoction that reflects SOMETHING WENT WRONG with the big plan. IF they can screw something up (in my mind at least) before the season has even STARTED, then that does NOT fill me with confidence about other big decisions that people will be making.

So, I actually wanted a plain shirt. But what we have been given is a crock of sh1t. OF COURSE kids love it. They don't understand our history, to them MLT is something their Dad talks about, they won't understand you lot going on about Keegan and Xerox either, so of course THE KIDS wanted the kit today.

To me it is a disaster that fails on every level.

Christ, I'd rather wear an old stripes shirt out clubbing next weekend than pay for this piece of naffness.

At least the sash shirt was advert free. Never could understand the football supporters obsession to buy an overpriced article which turns you into a sandwich board advertising a crap company.

I respect your opinion about the kit I don't agree and don't see why I should be called names because of that. I wouldn't dream of insulting you because my opinion differed from yours?

It's a shame some people do see fit to go down that line, from all sides of opinion.

A couple f things for me.

I'm not liking the whole "support the team not the kit" response to my anti-kit reaction (as if by registering my dislike for the strip somehow makes me less of a fan).

I strongly believe in nods to our heritage. The kit is a big part of that in my opinion and to move away from this identity without explanation concerns me.

For me, I'm also a little disappointed about the "off the shelf" template and design. It appears lazy. I guess I was hoping for something a little more unique or bespoke.

Football is about emotion and sometimes that emotion spills out onto the surrounding elements. My dislike of the kit isn't based on cold logic but personal taste and an emotional attachment to what I see as an important element to my football club's heritage and identity. No amount of shoulder shrugging or logic will change that. I'm sure I'll forget about it when the season starts again but I certainly won't be handing over £50 for the sake of it.

At the end of the day, this is the risk with foreign ownership of sorts. We have no say, we can't change what they want to do, they do what they want with our club.

The fact is that they're doing a damn fine job of running the show at the moment, are proving to be ambitious and are investing into the team and infrastructure. It would be slightly different if they weren't doing any of that, but changing everything willy nilly.

This is sometimes the sacrifice you take when you get taken over by foreign ownership. I think the question you all need to ask yourself is.........Would you rather be stuck languishing in L1 or the Championship with no investment, or back in the PL with a real ambition and opportunity to push forward - but with a red kit....?

Pretty simple answer for me. I want my club to be as successful as it can be with owners who share that ambition.

S-Clarke - you usually post sense but I would like to hear your views if it was 20 years from now. The OP has made a very eloquent statement, one which I agree with. This new kit sums everything up for me, the club are clueless when it comes to tradition. It was me who suggested the sash to Andy Oldknow and despite his faults he knew that that was a wise choice - since he left marketing decisions have been a farce. Best I say no more.

I heard from somewhere that Mr Cortese does not like Stripes, so as when my bosses are acting the goat my default setting is at the end of the day it's their bat their ball, so just go with the flow!

That said I don't like the new home shirt, the fact that Brizzle City has the same shirt raises the question: just how hard did Adidas have to work to get our signature on the contract, Chelsea have a £300 million deal we must have signed for a half chewed toffee a conker, and a cigarette card of Bobby Charlton. As for folks falling over themselves to get there hands on a shirt down West Quay that is pure marketing hype. The Sash is by far and away the best selling shirt, I was told by so done in the know that we sold our normal 6 months average sales in 2 weeks!! And the delay in getting more stock in was due to waiting for the next available production slot. So a best selling shirt is when you can't get Large to XXL July until October!!

Turkish is Stockholm Syndrome. He has been raped of stripes but his outrage has become acceptance. Hell, he don't just accept it, he needs it. He's grateful.

Never forget you are victim, Turkish, otherwise where will this end? What other great Southampton traditions will be taken from you? What if cortese rapes Sammy Saint, or ices the half-time race?

About the only thing that you can say about our kits historically is that they've always had red and white.

I don't really care what it looks like beyond that, as long as it means I can pick out which team is ours and they're not going to make it difficult for the players to see each other. (Grey kits heh!)

Whether I like a kit or not is pretty much decided after the event, depending on what the people wearing them did on the pitch and which memories seeing that kit bring back.

S-Clarke - you usually post sense but I would like to hear your views if it was 20 years from now. The OP has made a very eloquent statement, one which I agree with. This new kit sums everything up for me, the club are clueless when it comes to tradition. It was me who suggested the sash to Andy Oldknow and despite his faults he knew that that was a wise choice - since he left marketing decisions have been a farce. Best I say no more.

How did you feel about the change in the badge in the 70's was it? Was the regime then clueless of tradition?

Does tradition really matter that much or is the future more important?

Not having a pop genuinely interested in what is tradition and what is progress?

Outrage is the new black, or in this case stripes. Twitter, Facebook and forums like this magnify and stir up discontent amongst the great unwashed (kept fresh and fragrant by Climacool TM)

Personally I quite like the new kit and I can see why it is attractive to the club (Asian angle, cleaner presentation of sponsor etc.). That said, I find it amazing people care so much - at least until the next outrage comes along.

Regardless no amount of *****ing is going to change it, so best go back to debating who we should sign. Just remember, a boycott of 10,000 is Wanyama's agent's kickback...

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Board Express

Right, time to put my viewpoint on the 'kit' situation.

But it's about more than the kit, so that's why I've started this thread. It's about what we 'accept' in life and what we don't.

The reason for this, is that online, on FB and Twitter since the new kit was launched, I've been considered a 'bedwetter' - rather interesting that term, seeing as most of those accusing me of such, appear to have just left nappies themselves...or are still in them, I can't tell.

Thing is, I don't blame them - all they've known is the desired 'Premier League Dream'....

There's a song by the Manics called 'If you tolerate this' - now that's about the Spanish Civil War. No doubt me referring to that song already has some of the youngsters screaming 'bedwetter'...still I'm only 38....the last time I wet the bed was after a particularly good night trying to drink enough Newcastle Brown Ale to get a Blue Star badge (I kid you not - no f'n WKD in those days..)..

Anyway.

I hate what this new kit stands for.

I 'tolerated' last season's 'ironic' play on 'red & white'.

I won't tolerate this blatant change of our club's profile by stealth - 'oh let's be clever, get them liking the all red by having an away white kit we never wear' routine - I can see right through it.

This new kit is a cop out.

And then it happens - all day today people have been queuing up like sheep to hand over £50 and, in turn, give their backing to a rebrand by stealth of OUR CLUB. Pics all over the club's twitter feed of 'happy people loving the new kit'...

I didn't tolerate Rupert Lowe coming back - I made my voice known, and also marched alongside people like Mary Corbett.

Yes, I'm an 'old school fan' - Saints have always been to me - red and white stripes. And I'm now meant to apologise for that????

A lot of the 'pro-all red' camp say 'support the club, not the shirt' - but that is BOLL0CKS.

It's a COP OUT.

You wouldn't have tolerated it under Lowe if he'd tried this stunt.

There's no point reaching the Premier League again - if you sell your club's soul.

Think of that as you hand over £50.

Theres no point in reaching the Premier League because you and few mummys boys dont like the shirt. I would say you live a sheltered life and need to get some perspective. Also as I have said what are grown men wearing football shirts for anyway ?

Are we seriously worried about a piece of cotton - honestly grown men

Ha, I was a child the last time I wore a cotton Saints shirt, and that was a long time ago!

Although I love the stripes I can't get too worked up about the changes. Grand Prix fans will know. If you support a team, that doesn't change just because the colour of the car changes. I was a Lotus fan. I can just about remember plain green, I wore Gold Leaf colours and JPS colours. I still supported them with Camel colours (I didn't wear them because I was old enough then to realise they were just promoting fags). I did, however, stop supporting them when the team ceased to have any link at all with Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman despite holding Kimi Raikkonen in high regard.

My point is, I still support Saints irrespective of the colours they play in. If they became a franchise and move to a new location, that would end. I don't think that is likely.

BTW, I really do not like the new kit, I would rather wear an old Xerox shirt.

youre bound to agree with the OP its a subtle way to bash the club

youre bound to agree with the OP its a subtle way to bash the club

I expect he'd rather not feel the need in the first place.

And as said before on this thread, can you imagine the furore if Lowe had done this ? Although even to Lowe's credit he might have blustered his way through a press conference explaining his reasons.

1) A bit of a myth circulating on this thread that you need to abandon tradition in order to achieve success, or that Cortese's 'controversial' decision to get rid of the stripes will somehow be vindicated in the long term.

In terms of performance on the football pitch, a kit with stripes or without stripes will make absolutely no difference, and we should not defend Cortese's decision on the proviso that it will make us a better football club. Too many examples in the Premier League of successful clubs that have not felt the need to abandon their home kit in order to 'progress'.

2) In terms of branding, Turkish makes some good (if sarcastic) points on Cortese' re-creating the club in his own image. I'd ask though, is this is a cohesive branding strategy? Four drastic kit changes in the last four years suggests a bit of a muddled approach. If we are trying to differentiate ourselves as an identifiable brand, then why use what is pretty much a template design? Is this bold and confident or just homogenous and bland? I'd argue the latter.

3) The assertion that 'if you don't like the kit then don't buy it' (given more on Twitter than SWF to be fair) is so glib and short-sighted its untrue. As if we do not have to still support the team that wears it, as if we have to suck up every change to the club's identity purely on the basis of Cortese's masterplan, as if our love for the club (and the history and traditions involved) can be reduced to a purely financial abstraction that suggests unless we buy the product we have no right to comment. I have a lot of respect for Cortese and what he has done for the club, but my loyalty will always be to the club first and him second.

Edited by Toon Saint

This years red kit actually has more white on it than last years red kit.

This years kit is dull and uninspired compared to last years kit.

The sash and the 2011/12 stripes were really nice.

I agree completely with DP about stripes looking terrible outside of the match.

That's about it.

This year I'm glad we now have this insane 1 year turnaround on kits.

If you don't like the new shirt, don't buy it; it will be the simplest way to register your protest. If the sales showed that the club had made a massive blunder in dropping the stripes, then they would have to take that into consideration when they come to design the next one.

Personally, I couldn't care less either way. All this talk about us not accepting it if Lowe introduced it is rubbish, as the situation with the ownership is totally different and Lowe and the board had to please the paying customers in order to keep our heads above water. Cortese and the Liebherrs can do what they like and generally have done extremely well so far in bringing success to the club that could only have been dreamed about before they came in.

Whenever I feel the urge to wear a Saints shirt, I'll get out the sash shirt, which to my mind is the best Saints shirt I've seen and that didn't have stripes (plural)

Don't you remember the furor on Legg's site when Hoddle wanted to change to white shorts. :lol:

It's a flaming kit for christ sake. They wear it for 90mins every week. If people pay £50 it's up to them, it's not compulsory to buy it.

What on earth is the big deal? I don't get it. People getting worked up over the colour of a top doesn't quite register to me.

Sod it then, let's go back to L1, maybe L2, but at least we'll have our stripes.

S Clarke, you're one of the best posters on here, but I'm going to have to disagree with you here. "It's just a kit"....what's next? I can understand a change for the better but it's a kit. Its more like Cortese is just doing it because he can rather than because it will benefit the club. And those that are saying it's great for the club, and that we should start a new brand.....I ask what is wrong with the old one?

If you don't like the new shirt, don't buy it; it will be the simplest way to register your protest. If the sales showed that the club had made a massive blunder in dropping the stripes, then they would have to take that into consideration when they come to design the next one.

Cortese and the Liebherrs can do what they like and generally have done extremely well so far in bringing success to the club that could only have been dreamed about before they came in.

I'd never thought I'd live to see Saints finish fourteenth in the Premier League.

That was the kind of of success I could only dream of for the last thirty years. A silly dream, really. Impossible even.

Thank you Nicola. Our Dream is real.