The saintbletch "Hilarious fun with words" thread

saintbletch

Bletch - can you run dune's old posts please?

Interestingly enough papster, post 248 was dune. It got me thinking about different posters having a different style/lexicon for different forums. So here's dune in different forums:

dune in the main board:

12195_5.png

dune in The Lounge:

12196_23.png

dune in TMS:

12196_24.png

dune across all forums:

12196_all.png

**** me both Dune and Baz like a bit of would

I suspect many posters, pap included, are looking for a correlation between Barry Sanchez and dune, but I haven't seen a strong one.

You'll see that WOULD is the predominant verb/tense across the majority of posters.

Scroll through the images and you'll see. You'll also note that LIKE generally appears frequently too.

It sort of shows an aspirational or at least conditional/future-looking theme to most people's posts.

There are one or two posters that buck that trend; which tends to show that they, how shall I put this, look to get something different from the forum than most.

yeah i didn't think so either, one of them clearly apostrophe's their don'ts, and the other one... dont.

I want to see mine! I also want to see tokyos! FFS i have asked twice now if i ask third time i will find you + i will cut you, bletch, i will cut you bad

yeah i didn't think so either, one of them clearly apostrophe's their don'ts, and the other one... dont.

I want to see mine! I also want to see tokyos! FFS i have asked twice now if i ask third time i will find you + i will cut you, bletch, i will cut you bad

OK Bear, here it is.

YO

The Bear across all forums:

8885_all.png

The Bear on his best behaviour in the main board:

8885_5.png

The Bear being all erudite and "don't mind if I do" in The Lounge:

8885_23.png

The Bear tonguing Tokyos in TMS:

8885_24.png

I've been experimenting with the appearance, so this should be a little easier to read.

May I draw your attention to the text in the middle of the 'o' in 'tokyos' in the TMS word cloud?

The algorithm that places the text is totally random.

Artificial intelligence at work?

I suspect many posters, pap included, are looking for a correlation between Barry Sanchez and dune, but I haven't seen a strong one.

You'll see that WOULD is the predominant verb/tense across the majority of posters.

Scroll through the images and you'll see. You'll also note that LIKE generally appears frequently too.

It sort of shows an aspirational or at least conditional/future-looking theme to most people's posts.

There are one or two posters that buck that trend; which tends to show that they, how shall I put this, look to get something different from the forum than most.

You can't leave that there, bletch :D

Is that last word cloud (post 270) the Kraken by any chance? Stab in the dark and I'm probably miles out.

A couple of questions on this whole work cloud thing if I might, your Bletchness. First, does it automatically filter out the most common words (articles, personal pronouns and the like)? Second, if it does, could it also be made to filter out a specific number of the most common words, or just specific words? I'm thinking here of all the hypothetical stuff such as 'would' - if you get rid of the most common stuff then the more distinctive bits will be easier to pick out. After all, who'd have thought 'mongboard' and 'pal' would have appeared in such small type on Turkish's word cloud?

Then again, you might not want to make it easier for us :)

You can't leave that there, bletch :D

Once I'm more certain of the data, I'll post a couple of examples.

But there are so many caveats about what I'm doing at the moment that we should look upon this as a bit of fun (or hilarious fun with words if you're a word bore).

In any case there isn't much you can accurately infer from the frequency of a single, non-noun word. You need to look at word combinations (n-grams), to see how those words are used in context.

That said, when such a large proportion of posters have the tokens 'would' and 'like' as their most frequently used, then when others have a different frequency distribution, it's fair enough to say that they have a 'different' posting style to the norm.

Is that last word cloud (post 270) the Kraken by any chance? Stab in the dark and I'm probably miles out.

A couple of questions on this whole work cloud thing if I might, your Bletchness. First, does it automatically filter out the most common words (articles, personal pronouns and the like)? Second, if it does, could it also be made to filter out a specific number of the most common words, or just specific words? I'm thinking here of all the hypothetical stuff such as 'would' - if you get rid of the most common stuff then the more distinctive bits will be easier to pick out. After all, who'd have thought 'mongboard' and 'pal' would have appeared in such small type on Turkish's word cloud?

Then again, you might not want to make it easier for us :)

Not The Kraken you old word slag. I picked someone who is well known, but has a pretty vanilla word corpus. It's quite tough.

The examples I've shown so far do have the most common 'stop' words removed.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think you're right that a further removal of frequently occurring words that are common to the majority of posters would more clearly surface posting personality.

I'll have a think, but I'm sure you'll agree that it might remove some of the mystery to present a word cloud featuring Hoddle in a 100pt font.

Hmm.

Not The Kraken you old word slag. I picked someone who is well known, but has a pretty vanilla word corpus. It's quite tough.

The examples I've shown so far do have the most common 'stop' words removed.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think you're right that a further removal of frequently occurring words that are common to the majority of posters would more clearly surface posting personality.

I'll have a think, but I'm sure you'll agree that it might remove some of the mystery to present a word cloud featuring Hoddle in a 100pt font.

Hmm.

I love it when you talk like that; a word slag I am indeed, and it's high time I got used to the fact. Hell, I'm proud to be a word slag.

The word cloud in question suggests a lot of main board posts (lots of football team names), and I'd suspected that the Pompey Takeover Saga was a regular posting spot too, largely because of the presence of 'mcinnes' in there. However, it now occurs to me that as there's an emoticon called that (which gives you this :mcinnes:) the poster in question may simply use that emoticon a fair bit. Similarly, there may be little use of 'lol' in their posts, but plenty of these :lol:. I'm assuming here that your word cloud creating software will see the name of the emoticon as it's typed in the email here.

I had thought of CB Fry as a possibility, but discounted him as he's not a regular PTS nutjob. Could be him then, or how about Dell Days/Batman? OK, I'm just guessing here - I'm not sure if either of them use the :lol: emoticon all that often.

So bletch, are you making HTTP get requests through some kind of web client and scraping the results, or are you able to use a direct source ( XML etc )?

I've effectively written my own Tapatalk client in to get at the content - which is why I have restrictions on what I can get access to.

The visualisation is done in the browser using Javascript.

I love it when you talk like that; a word slag I am indeed, and it's high time I got used to the fact. Hell, I'm proud to be a word slag.

The word cloud in question suggests a lot of main board posts (lots of football team names), and I'd suspected that the Pompey Takeover Saga was a regular posting spot too, largely because of the presence of 'mcinnes' in there. However, it now occurs to me that as there's an emoticon called that (which gives you this :mcinnes:) the poster in question may simply use that emoticon a fair bit. Similarly, there may be little use of 'lol' in their posts, but plenty of these :lol:. I'm assuming here that your word cloud creating software will see the name of the emoticon as it's typed in the email here.

I had thought of CB Fry as a possibility, but discounted him as he's not a regular PTS nutjob. Could be him then, or how about Dell Days/Batman? OK, I'm just guessing here - I'm not sure if either of them use the :lol: emoticon all that often.

No, not CB Fry, you louche language-letch.

Your analysis is pretty impressive actually, and you're certainly in the right area.

FYI I see the emoticons as text, and interestingly, a combination of the emoticons used would narrow down the poster you're looking for.

I've added 'would' and other frequently occurring words to the stop list and changed the scaling of the visualisation, so let's see if this makes it any clearer. (It's the same poster as #270).

907361234.png

Steve Grant?

"Tickets" and "away" to the fore.

Ding, dong.

We have a winner. Good work lesbian view.

It was the bland use of language (for which I mean no offence) that identifies it as The Man's posting record.

I notice Toke has bottled it since all the obvious ones have gone.

EDIT: Correctly guessed as alpine_saint Saint by pap.

OK, so as I'm off out on the lash this afternoon, I'll post a few more up to keep you guessing:

For the thousands of you playing this game, can you please include the #post number in your guess.

Thanks you. You're too kind.

This rates easy on the Bletchometer.

900006252.png

Edited by saintbletch