Cortese has left Southampton Football Club - Officially Confirmed

Saint-Armstrong

Not hard at all. Samuel's article is completely contrary to one of football's more accurate cliches "Money doesn't guarantee success". He attempts to suggest that Cortese was merely an efficient administrator (which in itself is underestimated given the numerous other clubs that have suffered from serious financial mismanagement) which is incorrect. Cortese appointed Adkins and Poch and there are several accounts of his skill as a negotiator. Whether or not he is an odious character is besides the point. He got the major calls correct on a consistent basis and our success as a result has been almost unprecedented since he arrived. The article also completely ignores smooth transition after Marcus' death which must also have had something to do with Cortese.

In my view attempts to discredit the achievements of Cortese from various posters and the media, either because they didn't like him or to reassure themselves as to our future plight now he has departed, are vitriolic and ill-conceived and I fear that history will demonstrate the same. Hopefully I am wrong.

I have to echo this.

Martin Samuel vs Neil Ashton

Both are utterly terrible.

One's a fat, wheezing **** much like the breathless hyperbole of his prose who can only make a living by murdering nuance with exaggeration and peddling provocation for originality; the other is a weasel shill whose irredeemable lack of talent requires him to cultivate sources by making Faustian pacts and even more sordid acts.

Pick your poison.

But worse are the helmets on here who choose one journo over the other to confirm their prejudices.

Sure you were saying all this after Ashton love article a few weeks back?

Judging by your prose you may have pretensions of writing for a broadsheet yourself.

Not hard at all. Samuel's article is completely contrary to one of football's more accurate cliches "Money doesn't guarantee success". He attempts to suggest that Cortese was merely an efficient administrator (which in itself is underestimated given the numerous other clubs that have suffered from serious financial mismanagement) which is incorrect. Cortese appointed Adkins and Poch and there are several accounts of his skill as a negotiator. Whether or not he is an odious character is besides the point. He got the major calls correct on a consistent basis and our success as a result has been almost unprecedented since he arrived. The article also completely ignores smooth transition after Marcus' death which must also have had something to do with Cortese.

In my view attempts to discredit the achievements of Cortese from various posters and the media, either because they didn't like him or to reassure themselves as to our future plight now he has departed, are vitriolic and ill-conceived and I fear that history will demonstrate the same. Hopefully I am wrong.

Exactly and as so often the case a balanced view is needed. NC is a loss no doubt but not the end of the world. Funny how Sunderland ditched their director of football this week and seems to have passed without much comment in media to what surely is a key position.

People say Cortese 'spent other people's money well' as if it's easy. As if the Premier League doesn't have a long history of chairmen spending other people's money very badly.

I dont believe he sanctioned the money well at all

Guly

Lee

Ramirez

Osvaldo

Forren

De Ridder

Gazzaniga

Mayuka

The argument that he bought crap is justified with that, and the striking thing is our better ones have come from the Leagues from the UK, not Italy or abroad.

I dont believe he sanctioned the money well at all

Guly

Lee

Ramirez

Osvaldo

Forren

De Ridder

Gazzaniga

Mayuka

The argument that he bought crap is justified with that, and the striking thing is our better ones have come from the Leagues from the UK, not Italy or abroad.

Seriously?

He scouted them? And none have played a part in our rise. Guly has played a significant part - he might not be starting 11, but successive mangers seem to pick him. I take your point about Forren and Mayuka, but the rest?

Boruc

Clyne

Fonte

Lovren

Wanyama

Cork

JRod

Lambert

Are current counters to your argument, or did Cortese only pick the duds?

No to mention others =who did a job but are now departed (or near as dammit):

Butterfield

Richardson

Harding

Sharp

Barnard

Connolly

etc etc

Cortese does seem an odious little **** from the outside, but you've picked the wrong stick to beat him with.

• 3 months later...