Cortese has left Southampton Football Club - Officially Confirmed

Saint-Armstrong

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25755711

"The players bought into his vision, wholeheartedly. So much so, that at least one leading Southampton player has a clause in his contract that links his own future to Cortese's."

My theory is that it is Rickie Lambert. Lambert hasn't looked right on the pitch for about 3 months. Doesn't celebrate scoring; doesn't seem the same player. If it is true that Cortese handed his notice in 3 months ago, perhaps Lambert has been aware of this and has been going through the motions as he knew he would be out the door during this window, which is perhaps why the West Ham rumours have become stronger in the last couple of weeks?

Just a theory. Think I'm putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 13 but thought I would share my theory anyway!

How the hell can an 18 year old player put that in his contract? IF this is Shaw his advicors are really really bad people. You play for the club and the badge on the shirt and most important the FANS not the Chairman for gods sake .- this is getting more and more silly by the minute.

Agreed. If that is the way the club was being run then in many ways I'm glad it's over. Too much power in the hands of one person is silly since a situation like this was inevitable whenever he left.

I would guess that he has a minimum fee release clause which comes active if Cortese leaves. £15m?

Sounds likely if it is Shaw. Bit of a shame really that his reps felt the need to include this in his contract. Telling us something about their confidence in the Liebherr family?

New Daily Mail article gives the most informative information on Kathrina and the club I've read. Katharina, the dream wrecker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2540218/Liebherr-dream-wrecker-How-3bn-heiress-whos-never-shown-football-ousted-man-Saints-fans-believe-again.html

From the Daily Mail which has clearly been Corteses mouthpiece for a couple of months.

One man and his dog!

The Argentinian said last May, when Cortese's departure was first mooted: "I would not understand staying in this role if Nicola was not here.

"I have great respect as well for Southampton, the club and the supporters, but Nicola has been the one that has placed his trust and faith in me.

Nicola Cortese has resigned as chairman of Southampton.

"We are on the same wavelength about the club and the future of the club so it really would not make any sense if I was at this club and he was not."

Was definitely mentioned in one article (can't remember where from) a few months back that Shaw's new deal was tied to Cortese remaining at the club, i.e he had a getout clause of some sort if NC left.

I think people will start to realise over the coming period that he was much more than one paid employee.

Easy enough to say that players who don't want to be here can leave, but ultimately, its nice watching good players playing well and having a decent team.

That is clearly nonsense.

This is good news; she might not have kept her man, but at least she recognises the importance of good leadership being directly related to keeping the value of he asset as high as possible until an optimal opportunity to sell comes along.

Until she (Katharina Leibherr) let's the world know, in her own words, the reasons (ie differences) between her and Cortese, as to how the "next step" in SFC's progress be achieved, then I shall remain pessimistic re our Club's future.

I am convinced that she wants rid of a product (ie Football), that she neither wants or understands.

The quicker she sells, and opens the possibility of someone else who likes, appreciates, and knows about Football, then better it will be IMHO Our (now) current owner does not share ANY of those traits. She is IMHO 100% against everything that Marcus was 100% in favour of.

For some reason there are still a few here who think it will all be ok. :lol:

We are now at the start of a downward curve, hopefully not as quick as the route up was.

They must be the bedsit captains of industry.

If the BBC article is correct (I find their interpretation plausible), then Cortese was probably going to leave in the next two to three years anyway. Presumably the hope was that with further investment, he could take us to the next level and increase the value of the club further. Liebherr's daughter probably thinks we've maxed out and things can't get any better without incurring undue risk. Hence the demand for an immediate exit, something Cortese doesnt want to preside over.

The summer will be the biggest test and who we're sold to. There's some potential upside if we fall into the right owner's lap but as you say a hell of a lot of downside.

Edited by shurlock

It has been pointed out that we were all angry when Adkins left, thinking we were doomed, and likening Cortese going to that bombshell.

Sadly the circumstances are completely different. Every bombshell Cortese dropped was planned. KL didn't want Cortese to go, so this is an unplanned and unwanted development.

That's what makes it so scary for me. As someone else said, stability and ambition are massive comfort blankets for football fans. Especially those that have suffered more than most and see what might be possible. All been snatched away in an instant.

KL needs to come and re-assure us ASAP... 1. MP is staying. 2. No players will be going anywhere. and (maybe even) 3. a big signing to get us excited ?

Until she (Katharina Leibherr) let's the world know, in her own words, the reasons (ie differences) between her and Cortese, as to how the "next step" in SFC's progress be achieved, then I shall remain pessimistic re our Club's future.

I am convinced that she wants rid of a product (ie Football), that she neither wants or understands.

The quicker she sells, and opens the possibility of someone else who likes, appreciates, and knows about Football, then better it will be IMHO Our (now) current owner does not share ANY of those traits. She is IMHO 100% against everything that Marcus was 100% in favour of.

it was Markus's wish that the club remained in the family I believe, so is there a possibility she would want to honour his wish?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2539967/FOOTBALL-9-5-Rolling-news-service-January-16.html

BREAKING: Good news for Saints fans as Pochettino commits

Neil Ashton: Sportsmail understands that Mauricio Pochettino will commit to the club after talks with owner Katharina Liebherr.

More to follow.

So, either Katharina has promised him a transfer kitty or Cortese has told him he'll be back ;)

(Edit: or he's simply changed his mind from last May) :)

Edited by trousers

MailOnline Sport ‏@MailSport 5m

BREAKING: #SaintsFC manager Mauricio Pochettino will commit to the club after talks with owner Katharina Liebherr http://dailym.ai/1ctzulj

Can't really see why he wouldn't really...he's doing a good job. Perhaps KL will put an end to all of the "we're going to be the next Barca" bollix and actually buy us the players we need to not have to rely on donkeys as back up, starting with a keeper and a left back..

Latest is that cortese walked because Katerina issued an "all assets to be sold" statement. Meaning all players of significant value to be sold before the club itself is sold. Doesn't make sense though surely the club is worth more with better players and a manager still. In place?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2539967/FOOTBALL-9-5-Rolling-news-service-January-16.html

So, either Katharina has promised him a transfer kitty or Cortese has told him he'll be back ;)

(Edit: or he's simply changed his mind from last May) :)

What he said last May made sense then, he hadn't been here long and was to be fair still finding his feet both on and off the pitch.

Now he's settled why would he want to go now?

Latest is that cortese walked because Katerina issued an "all assets to be sold" statement. Meaning all players of significant value to be sold before the club itself is sold. Doesn't make sense though surely the club is worth more with better players and a manager still. In place?

Where has that been reported?!

It has been pointed out that we were all angry when Adkins left, thinking we were doomed, and likening Cortese going to that bombshell.

Sadly the circumstances are completely different. Every bombshell Cortese dropped was planned. KL didn't want Cortese to go, so this is an unplanned and unwanted development.

That's what makes it so scary for me. As someone else said, stability and ambition are massive comfort blankets for football fans. Especially those that have suffered more than most and see what might be possible. All been snatched away in an instant.

KL needs to come and re-assure us ASAP... 1. MP is staying. 2. No players will be going anywhere. and (maybe even) 3. a big signing to get us excited ?[/QUOTE]

IMHO what you will get is :-

1) MP will leave, as he can see the writing on the wall

2) If we get the right price for any player, he will be sold

3) No signings because, from a Business point of view, we have enough already

I'm amazed how many think KL will have Saints best interest at heart

She will only have the Leibherr Business(es) to heart

She does not, and never has, had the same "Dream" as Markus did. He LOVED the Saints. Regretably, KL does not, and never will.

They (the Leibherr Family) have fulfilled Markus's five years. End of

That is clearly absolute rubbish. Where was this latest?

What do we really know?

Do you think MP will walk? I would feel pretty fed up if I was Osvaldo.

Do we know that KL is really against Football?

No we know nothing!

Stop speculating and wait and see.

Cortese has achieved great things, but he's not a Saint!

Well said. This thread is 14 pages long and a number of "experts" have assured us that MP is going, all players are going and the club is to be asset stripped.

Fact is, nobody knows anything and I could boil down the amount of "fact" in this thread to around 3 lines of text...

it was Markus's wish that the club remained in the family I believe, so is there a possibility she would want to honour his wish?

I take your point, and sincerely hope it is the case. However, after "Black Wednesday" I think I need a few sherbets to get me back to positive thinking

Pocchettino staying would be a help.

How the hell can an 18 year old player put that in his contract? IF this is Shaw his advicors are really really bad people. You play for the club and the badge on the shirt and most important the FANS not the Chairman for gods sake .- this is getting more and more silly by the minute.

They will have taken the view that Cortese was the only man who could guarantee Southampton would be a better club for his development than Chelsea or Manchester United. Can't say I blame him/them, if it all falls apart from here he'll be tied into a five-year contract at a club which may not be able to help him realise his potential. Who knows if he'll have the opportunity to make it at the top level again if five years down the line we're a struggling side?

That doesn't mean he'll leave now, of course. Pochettino staying will be a big plus, and he might be well advised to see how things pan out before deciding in the summer.

Oh if only any of us had the slightest idea of what is going on. For my part I live in the hope that the Don has a plan and will return as part of a buy out.

Why?

We have a very wealthy owner, from a family of very wealthy people. Unless Cortese returns with someone even more ridiculously wealthy, then it's a silly thing to wish for in my opinion.

I predict:

MP stays for rest of season.

2 players are sold (prob Shaw, Lambert) but rest stay.

Dispute turns out to be primarily over NC's desire to manage with absolute power. No consultation on player purchases and sales, etc.

The club is sold in the summer. NC leads consortium as one of the bidders, but loses.

We hammer Sunderland.

Well said. This thread is 14 pages long and a number of "experts" have assured us that MP is going, all players are going and the club is to be asset stripped.

Fact is, nobody knows anything and I could boil down the amount of "fact" in this thread to around 3 lines of text...

The only FACT I can supply is that Cortese's 2 children "left" their school, near Romsey, last week. MPs son still attends the same school.

I'm sure that I can remember that just after Marcus died, Cortese was asked what would happen if the family wanted to sell the club, and his answer was that if they wanted to sell that would be fine because he knows plenty of rich people who would buy us. So if she does want to sell, then where's the problem?

Now I can understand that KL doesn't like football and has no interest in our club, but if she were to pull it to pieces (sell our players, etc.`) before she sold it, then that would be very disrespectful to her father who absolutely loved Southampton.

For some reason there are still a few here who think it will all be ok. :lol:

We are now at the start of a downward curve, hopefully not as quick as the route up was.

Seriously!, He's a frigging chairman, yes he's had a good run and moved the club on but his leaving does not really change much. The structure is still there, the players and manager still there. Who knows we might actually get someone in who proves to be better than Cortese.

Amazing the panic shown by some people. Pathetic almost

Now I can understand that KL doesn't like football and has no interest in our club, but if she were to pull it to pieces (sell our players, etc.`) before she sold it, then that would be very disrespectful to her father who absolutely loved Southampton.

It would also be business madness because the overall value of the club would go down by more than the total amount brought in by player sales

Not to mention exceedingly poor business. She'd be better off selling the club as an upwardly mobile concern with potential to improve, rather than an asset stripped shell set to implode with anything of value gone.

Apologies if it's been discussed, I Haven't got time to read 15 pages, but my question is:

Why now? Mid-season, during the transfer window. Is that significant? I'm well aware it's been brewing for a bit but I can't see Cortese resigning at the drop of a hat: it was obviously planned. Ar the Milan offers genuine, did he give a deadline for certain things to happen. Why not the end of the season? B****r.