Cortese has left Southampton Football Club - Officially Confirmed

Saint-Armstrong

The players won't leave for peanuts, they might go but the club still have the upper hand in pricing

I don't understand why everyone suggests that the club are going to flog all the players for peanuts.

Clearly those who are suggesting this have next to no business acumen. Does everyone not realise that it is KL's best interest to get the best possible price?

I don't understand why everyone suggests that the club are going to flog all the players for peanuts.

Clearly those who are suggesting this have next to no business acumen. Does everyone not realise that it is KL's best interest to get the best possible price?[/QUOTE]

Not so easy to do if the Player(s) themselves want "out" How many times do you hear "we don't want to sell", then just afterwards, the Player(s) DOES leave

NO Club can keep a player if he REALLy wants to leave

Clearly those who are suggesting this have next to no business acumen. Does everyone not realise that it is KL's best interest to get the best possible price?

Its not about selling for peanuts, its about selling full stop.

Cortese would have resisted all offers and only sold when he absolutely had to, and for monster fees.

If KL gets semi decent offers for players its hard to see her turning them down for sporting reasons.

Of course she wouldnt sell all the players, but if she accepted say 15m for Lallana and £20m for Shaw, you couldnt really blame her for financial reasons.

The whole player exit scenario is fuelled by the current uncertainty.

If a CL club shows any interest in any of our players this window, their agents will be straight on to make it happen because the driving force behind the club is no longer there, we currently have no leader.

And once you have a few key players who dont want to be there then it will never be a good thing.

I can understand people wondering if players are that bothered etc, but remember it is their career and we know most of our better players could fairly easily attract better and bigger clubs.

Next season our squad will be significantly weaker you would have to assume at this stage.

Some of the stuff on here is so ridiculous. It's all speculation. Cortese did an excellent job, but was not without his critics. He was/is ruthless? I have personally met people who have experienced his temper.

I know nothing about KL so can't comment on her ability to lead. However many very wealthy people have a number of businesses they own. They have trusted leaders who report to the owners on progress etc.

If KL wants to be involved she is more than entitled to do so - it's her business.

Having slept on this I can't stop thinking Cortese's behaviour smacks of spoilt child. Probably get slaughtered for saying it, but if he resigned in October, it maybe the advances of a team in Milan that have provided him the opportunity to move on.

If MP goes it will be a loss too. If Shaw goes it will be a loss etc etc. Saints will still be here, as we were in League 1. As long as an individual owns the club we have absolutely no control.

Fun times ahead!!

Did Strachan ever have that hip op he was on about when he left?

Cortese would have resisted all offers and only sold when he absolutely had to, and for monster fees.

If KL gets semi decent offers for players its hard to see her turning them down for sporting reasons.

Of course she wouldnt sell all the players, but if she accepted say 15m for Lallana and £20m for Shaw, you couldnt really blame her for financial reasons.

If a CL club shows any interest in any of our players this window, their agents will be straight on to make it happen because the driving force behind the club is no longer there, we currently have no leader.

And once you have a few key players who dont want to be there then it will never be a good thing.

I can understand people wondering if players are that bothered etc, but remember it is their career and we know most of our better players could fairly easily attract better and bigger clubs.

Next season our squad will be significantly weaker you would have to assume at this stage.

You don't know this. Stop having a hissy fit!

Of course she wouldnt sell all the players, but if she accepted say 15m for Lallana and £20 for Shaw, you couldnt really blame her for financial reasons.

She needs to let people know of her intentions for the club. Personally, I don't think she wants to sell. Hopefully she'll put the players and staff in the picture as soon as possible, then release a public statement. Supporters deserve to know.

So, that was a fun few hours. Noticed the rumours before I had to work all evening delivering a training session. Got home late after a quick pint and, almost as an afterthought looked to see if the silly rumours of NC going had died down……

Think I’ve just about caught up after a long read and careful separation of the thoughtful and well-reasoned posts from the wrist-slitters (and disgraceful and totally unacceptable abuse of KL based on her physical appearance).

FWIW, my attempt at seeing the wood from the trees. There are a few facts known and a huge amount of speculation fuelled by a press that are as keen to see a Saints meltdown as they were to praise our success a week ago.

It seems to be a clear fact that there has been a power struggle between NC and KL, starting last summer. I believe that, in their own ways, they both see themselves as the custodian of ML’s legacy. Cortese has proved that he is not a team man. Yes, he respected and supported the team working under him, but every one of the team was emphatically under him. Not a man accustomed to ever not getting his own way.

On the other hand we can only guess at KL’s commitment to the ongoing future of the club. I would like to think that she does want to see the continuing success of “the project” in her father’s name and was simply not prepared to be the sleeping provider of the cash. Her initial statement about widening the management structure so that we don’t have all the power vested in one megalomaniac, sorry, individual (but he was our megalomaniac and I liked him) is encouraging and does not suggest that she is about to bail out and sell, but wants more involvement and a handle on her cash.

So I really hope that she is still committed and will now take things into a new phase. And remember, each crisis we have faced in recent years has in fact led to the next level, even though few saw it that way in the initial hours after Adkins went, for example. If this is the case, she has little time to impress Poch and the players and to convince them to stay with the project. NC’s replacement(s) will need to demonstrate the same drive and vision and persuade everyone at the club that there is life after NC. He was not Saints: the club goes on. If she succeeds, the future is still bright.

I personally don’t think she is looking to sell, but as there are plenty of rumours, what are the scenarios? Cortese could well want to buy Saints (probably as part of a consortium, but with him having even more power), so the spat last summer could have been over control or a selling price. If he still is interested in buying, resigning could be a first step in undermining and destabilising the club in the hope of driving down its value to the point that he can force a panic sale and get a bargain. If that is the case, he will pepper the media with tales of meltdown and use any influence he can to get Poch and players to go. That would be a stormy ride.

We’ll see many twists in the coming days. The first key thing will be whether MP stands by his statement that he would go if Nicola went. If he does, it’s a problem: some players will follow and getting the right replacement will be critical. If he backs down, that will be the first indication that KL can take us forward.

Whatever happens, Saints are Saints and not any individual and will always have my support.

Agree with St Marco above.

Regardless of where this supposed "meltdown" is taking us, I do know one thing.

We are now a far, far more attractive proposition for prospective owners, top executives, managers and playing staff than we were even a year ago.

Sure, I'm concerned about the imminent period of instability, but I'm also optimistic that we'll still end up on an exciting upward trajectory in the longer term.

Yes, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility that we will end up in the CCC at the end of THIS season.

Just disappointed if the squad is affected. Its one of the best we have ever had.

At stage though nobody really knows.

No one has said it will. Blackmore just said he spoke to senior player and they are in good sprits and don't expect people to leave.

Held off commenting yesterday as was hugely disappointed & annoyed.

Initial reaction was that it would spark a downward spiral. It's obvious that Cortese had sold his future vision of the club to the majority of Staff & Players with him at the center of it. Without him at the helm it's clear to see why top players\management staff would question whether that vision still exists and whether they're all now here under false pretenses.

If I was a top player who signed a contract based on Cortese's vision, today I would absolutely question whether that vision still exsists. I would need assurances from KL that it really is business as usual and this club fully intends to continue it's progression towards the champions league and ultimately forfill the promises laid out to me when I signed the contract.

We had only snippets of information and we don't know why Cortese left, if indeed it's because KL wants to sell the club or there was arguments over selling assets (Luke Shaw) then it is obviously worst case scenario time, we're back to being a also run, and the days of signing Italian International forwards are over :-(

However, if it comes out that Cortese wanted full control of the club without his actions being questioned or accountable to or by the owners and it was that "intrusive" relationship that resulted in him leaving then I wouldn't be as worried, the vision could still be in place with a more "owner friendly" CEO in charge & this change will be less disruptive than I or many first thought.

For me MP is crucial, if he leaves then I can see allot of players leaving too, if he stays, we might be alright

I simply think KL got tired of Nicola stealing all the credit. He played down the importance of the manager and seems to have grown to god like status in some fans minds. However all along he has just been spending KL's money at will and "resisting" player sales because she put no pressure to sell. Ultimately everything good that has happened has happened because of Markus and more recently KL.

Essentially we have cut out the middle man (thats all he was imho) now KL can make decisions herself without the ego and hissy fits of Nicola clouding.

KL might surprise us with a cheeky transfer this window... You never know ;)

Adam Blackmore just on 5Live. Said he spoke to a senior player last night who said the players just want to know what is going on. Obviously disappointed NC has gone, but in a good league position and want the Manager to say he will stay.

Would have to think there will be a player mutiny if MP were to leave too.

As I suspected - there is not going to be a rush for the door. All the players and employees want is stability and a clear plan forward. this is what KL needs to deliver and quickly.

I have been in similar situations both as an employee and an owner - however bad it seems at the time, when you work through the issue, come out the other side and look back, you wonder what all the fuss was about and often you are pleasantly surprised by the final outcome.

It seems to be a clear fact that there has been a power struggle between NC and KL, starting last summer. I believe that, in their own ways, they both see themselves as the custodian of ML’s legacy. Cortese has proved that he is not a team man. Yes, he respected and supported the team working under him, but every one of the team was emphatically under him. Not a man accustomed to ever not getting his own way.

On the other hand we can only guess at KL’s commitment to the ongoing future of the club. .....Her initial statement about widening the management structure so that we don’t have all the power vested in one megalomaniac, sorry, individual (but he was our megalomaniac and I liked him) is encouraging and does not suggest that she is about to bail out and sell, but wants more involvement and a handle on her cash.

Whatever happens, Saints are Saints and not any individual and will always have my support.

Not picking this up on you specifically Shroppie, but I keep reading referrals to NC wanting sole command and not being "a team player" etc, but did he not work in a more structured environment in Swiss Banking ? And would he not have been answerable to others before ?

It seems entirely reasonable to me that KL, The Liebherr Trust in whatever form, wanted a little more accountability from him whilst they were funding this. Its a great shame he could not work with them on it.

I would like the club to be sold at this point. I am not sure why, but I think it would be best and could push the club forward to the next stage. I for some reason feel uneasy with the situation and do not feel that the owners are 100% behind the future of the club.

I would like the club to be sold at this point. I am not sure why, but I think it would be best and could push the club forward to the next stage. I for some reason feel uneasy with the situation and do not feel that the owners are 100% behind the future of the club.

Ffs!

Can anyone think of an example of a player ever having left because of a change in the boardroom?

This situation is slightly different. Apart from Marcus, The Family know nothing about Football, which, in a players eyes, does count for something.

The scenario at Cardiff can be used as a pointer. For example, what WOULD Saints fans think about playing in BLUE ??

The unrest starts like a ripple on a pond

I really would like to one day know the truth why he left - doubt we will. IF it´s because he´s not allowed to do things his way with KL´s money then he just acts like a spoiled kid - you know theese kids you see at stores on the floor screeming just because mum doesn´t buy they sweets....

I really would like as well an Official statement from KL saying some nice and relaxing things....

Will be surprised if all this doesn't result in a few bad results,and slipping down a few places.

Will have to wait & see what MoPo does,as that will have a big effect on our next few weeks/rest of the season.

It's good that we have a 7 point lead (+ goal difference) on the teams below us, gives us some breathing space while the dust settles.

Why on earth would a manager or player walk before they really know what the woman's plans are? MP will look a right chump if he follows his buddy out the door and a Chinese billionaire takes over next week.

The opposite is also true to an extent. In the summer he said he couldn't see what the future at Saints was without NC as the driving force.

Just shows how quickly football changes these days. Four weeks ago MP was being courted by Spurs (in the press at least). And now could be about to walk out on a Premier League managers position.

I bet MP didn't get much sleep last night.

Ffs!

Brilliant... why? I do not think they are interested in the football club and taking the club forwards. If you know different then please let me know. I think the drive has come from NC who was carrying out the wishes of his friend Marcus and the rest of the family are not to bothered. I could be way of the mark, but this is my gut feeling.

So, that was a fun few hours. Noticed the rumours before I had to work all evening delivering a training session. Got home late after a quick pint and, almost as an afterthought looked to see if the silly rumours of NC going had died down……

Think I’ve just about caught up after a long read and careful separation of the thoughtful and well-reasoned posts from the wrist-slitters (and disgraceful and totally unacceptable abuse of KL based on her physical appearance).

FWIW, my attempt at seeing the wood from the trees. There are a few facts known and a huge amount of speculation fuelled by a press that are as keen to see a Saints meltdown as they were to praise our success a week ago.

On the other hand we can only guess at KL’s commitment to the ongoing future of the club. I would like to think that she does want to see the continuing success of “the project” in her father’s name and was simply not prepared to be the sleeping provider of the cash. Her initial statement about widening the management structure so that we don’t have all the power vested in one megalomaniac, sorry, individual (but he was our megalomaniac and I liked him) is encouraging and does not suggest that she is about to bail out and sell, but wants more involvement and a handle on her cash.

So I really hope that she is still committed and will now take things into a new phase. And remember, each crisis we have faced in recent years has in fact led to the next level, even though few saw it that way in the initial hours after Adkins went, for example. If this is the case, she has little time to impress Poch and the players and to convince them to stay with the project. NC’s replacement(s) will need to demonstrate the same drive and vision and persuade everyone at the club that there is life after NC. He was not Saints: the club goes on. If she succeeds, the future is still bright.

I personally don’t think she is looking to sell, but as there are plenty of rumours, what are the scenarios? Cortese could well want to buy Saints (probably as part of a consortium, but with him having even more power), so the spat last summer could have been over control or a selling price. If he still is interested in buying, resigning could be a first step in undermining and destabilising the club in the hope of driving down its value to the point that he can force a panic sale and get a bargain. If that is the case, he will pepper the media with tales of meltdown and use any influence he can to get Poch and players to go. That would be a stormy ride.

We’ll see many twists in the coming days. The first key thing will be whether MP stands by his statement that he would go if Nicola went. If he does, it’s a problem: some players will follow and getting the right replacement will be critical. If he backs down, that will be the first indication that KL can take us forward.

Agree with every word of this (including dismay at the personal insults).

Thanks, you've saved me a lot of typing there!

Why on earth would a manager or player walk before they really know what the woman's plans are? MP will look a right chump if he follows his buddy out the door and a Chinese billionaire takes over next week.

They are the new Ant n Dec :lol:

Seriously though... Mopo now has a problem, he said if NC goes he goes. He was quite clear on that - is he a man of hiis word?

Like us, KL would have seen mopos words and knows he works for Nicola and not the club, her, players or the fans.

Surprised he didnt leave last night

This so-called exodus is being put to the patties in the media by the agents who are hoping for a quick buck. The media, in turn, seem to be delighting in trotting out this 'implosion' story because it is an easy one to write with no substance, and they love to attack a club with ideas 'above its station'. Simple.

They are the new Ant n Dec :lol:

Seriously though... Mopo now has a problem, he said if NC goes he goes. He was quite clear on that - is he a man of hiis word?

that was in May not now. in the last 7months or so he may have more of an affinity to the club

Can we stop quoting what Pastor what's his face says, I have him on ignore and quoting him is making me realise again that he is some neck bearded idiot sat at home getting off in his manky y-fronts by insulting others.

Good luck to NC and KL, the club will still be there whatever happens, surely that lot down the road proves that much at least!

IMHO, I'd wait until KL maps out what SHE considers to be SFC's FUTURE

I'm sure you will find it to be a vastly reduced vision to the one Marcus had.

She is a Business woman, Full Stop. Marcus was a Business Man who had a Dream with a Football Club

Dreamers with money may spend circa £15M on one player. You will find Business Women DON't

This is a very shrewd reading of the situation

This so-called exodus is being put to the patties in the media by the agents who are hoping for a quick buck. The media, in turn, seem to be delighting in trotting out this 'implosion' story because it is an easy one to write with no substance, and they love to attack a club with ideas 'above its station'. Simple.

This is exactly what's happening, like sharks circling.

I hope KL's got a plan. She's going to need one.

The bottom line is nobody outside the upper echelons knows anything, everything is pure speculation based on summation or assumption and the petrol is being poured onto this by the media who until this season wouldn't give us the time of day.

The sooner folks get that into their heads the better, and stop all the drivel being spouted based on knowledge totalling the sum total of bugger all.

Amongst the natural concern, I had a dose of optimism in my reaction to the news yesterday. However, I've woken up this morning with an over-riding feeling of pessimism and a sense that things are likely to get worse before they get better (e.g. I've a hunch that MP will quit). I'm usually a glass half full kinda person so most unusual for me to feel this negative. Help!