Cortese has left Southampton Football Club - Officially Confirmed

Saint-Armstrong

This is not the time to panic. First of all lets hope the players and manager remain focused.

We are in a good position but must secure our premier league future. Then we can consider the future. If we are safe early it will be a great time to get an new CEO in and start building for the future.

I am sure we will be OK.

We know very little about Katharina Liebherr, but from what we do know, we can make some suppositions.

We know she does not court publicity and she craves anonymity. We can conclude that she hasn't taken over as chairman of a Premier League football club - a high profile role, whether she likes it or not - for vanity or egotistical purposes. If she wanted to do that, she could have done it at any time since Markus died.

So we can suppose that something pretty drastic forced her hand into taking on something she clearly doesn't want to do.

We don't know what this is, and it could be down to her demands or Cortese's.

What we do know, is that - through the trust - she owns the club, so whatever she does, is her prerogative.

People are concerned that she knows nothing about football,

Until he was appointed by Markus, neither did Cortese and I seem to recall there was similar criticism at the time that he was just a Swiss banker imposed on the club.

No, Katharina Liebherr does not know how to run a football club. I doubt whether she knows how to drive a crane or big piece of plant machinery, or how to run a foundry or any of the hands-on, shop-floor tasks that the vast Liebherr empire covers.

But you don't get to be a vastly wealthy head of a huge multinational business concern by being a dummy. You employ the best people and since Marcus's death, I've seen nothing (but am willing to be proved wrong) to indicate that MALI or other arms of the Liebherr empire in which he was involved, have gone into metldown as a direct result of his death.

You can be sure the advisors to the Liebherr clan are top-notch. After all, Cortese was one.

From the little I know of Swiss business practice, it is built on caution, dependability, reliability and discretion. There is no reason to suppose that KL does not possess all of these attributes.

Our initial doubts over Cortese's suitability to run a football club were dispelled by the Swiss business acumen he brought to the club. Again, we have no reason to suppose that KL will not have these same qualities.

Again, assuming KL has the Swiss business attributes mentioned above, you can bet this has not caught her on the hop. She probably has not made a single move - for either good or ill, in our eyes - without taking advice

We do not know her plans for the club, but I think we can assume her business acumen or her advisors will inform her of the asset she has, and I would think it unlikely she will do anything to harm that asset. It's just not in Swiss business genes.

The Liebherr family's lawyers, Allen & Overy, are one of the UK's top five Magic Circle law firms, and among the most powerful in the world. This is the calibre of advisors the Liebherrs use.

I would assume contact has already been made between her and MoPo.

Am I glad to see Cortese go? No. He was a great asset to the club.

Am I a happy-clappy, glass half-full person who thinks KL has done the right thing for the club and let's all get behind her and teach her how to love the club? Nope. I don't know enough about her.

But I am willing to assume that she has enough about her to ensure the club doesn't implode.

And that she has the right people around her to ensure not just an adequate, but better replacement for Cortese is found.

Who knows, the replacement might - like Cortese - be found among her own ranks of advisors.

Not sure what your point is - agree that she'll operate professionally and effectively but that could mean any number of things as we don't know her goals and motivations.

Ideally it would mean she flawlessly executes the vision and legacy left by Cortese and her old man but it could equally mean that she and her advisors find the most clinical and uncompromising way to strip the clubs assets. There is no contradiction between acting professionally and creating instability if this indeed is her our aim.

We just don't know - what I know is the fact that Liebherr has the smartest minds around her isn't per se a cause for comfort.

It could be a disaster but I would be more worried about WHY Cortese left than the fact that he is not there to give his motivational speeches.

him going does hint at Leibherr not wanting to fund his vision. Now that IS a problem, a much bigger one that the loss of a good CEO.

I'm saddened by NC's departure . But I believe , and have a gut feeling that we will be okay and the vision of CL football is still on track.

I Have read most of the posts on both threads well apart from some of the usual one or two .

There has been a lot of drama queens and one can understand they are upset . However I have seen a couple of posts that confirm me beliefs the future is still Rosy . I'm still waiting to see what a couple of others poster views are as they have not commented yet.

It's easy to berate KL but we do not have a clue what has being going on or the exact recent for today's events . We can only speculate . The Liebherrs are astute business people but above all else the believe totally in family values and that includes the saints family . Yes there is a tinge of sadness in me but before we all go into melt down . Let's pause for a wee while, take stock and see what follows in the days and weeks ahead . We may well be pleasantly surprised with what the future holds

Not sure what your point is - agree that she'll operate professionally and effectively but that could mean any number of things as we don't know her goals and motivations.

Ideally it would mean she flawlessly executes the vision and legacy left by Cortese and her old man but it could equally mean that she and her advisors find the most clinical and uncompromising way to strip the clubs assets. There is no contradiction between acting professionally and creating instability if this indeed is her our aim.

We just don't know - what I know is the fact that Liebherr has the smartest minds around her isn't per se a cause for comfort.

Judging by here quote, she / the lawyers sound pretty normal and in it for the club as things stand

"With great regret we have accepted the resignation of Mr Cortese. He has done a wonderful job at the club and we very much wanted him to stay. A search has now begun for a successor. In the meantime, it is business as usual and we will ensure that the manager, the team and all the staff at the club have all the help and support they need."

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/southampton-fc-appointment-of-chairman-1296942.aspx#vOmcIw2yWH1R4vfp.99

Doesn't exactly sound like a Chairwoman about to strip the assets of a club she herself is currently funding (new training ground etc).

Judging by here quote, she / the lawyers sound pretty normal and in it for the club as things stand

"With great regret we have accepted the resignation of Mr Cortese. He has done a wonderful job at the club and we very much wanted him to stay. A search has now begun for a successor. In the meantime, it is business as usual and we will ensure that the manager, the team and all the staff at the club have all the help and support they need."

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/southampton-fc-appointment-of-chairman-1296942.aspx#vOmcIw2yWH1R4vfp.99

Doesn't exactly sound like a Chairwoman about to strip the assets of a club she herself is currently funding (new training ground etc).

Not saying that they will - just saying that being advised by lots of smart people isn't a reason to be confident unless you know what ends they're applying their smarts to.

Sick of the 'No man is bigger than the club'. Took over as chairman when we had -10 points, leaves us 9th in the Premier League. Sacked Nigel Adkins who EVERYONE, thought was a shocking idea. He brings in Pochettino, who has Southampton playing some of the best football the club has seen. He was a big factor in bringing in Lovren, Wanyama, & Osvaldo. A man of this stature, influence and accuracy could see a downward spiral! People saying no man bigger than the club, he has been the club the last 5 years! Get a grip!

Sick of the 'No man is bigger than the club'. Took over as chairman when we had -10 points, leaves us 9th in the Premier League. Sacked Nigel Adkins who EVERYONE, thought was a shocking idea. He brings in Pochettino, who has Southampton playing some of the best football the club has seen. He was a big factor in bringing in Lovren, Wanyama, & Osvaldo. A man of this stature, influence and accuracy could see a downward spiral! People saying no man bigger than the club, he has been the club the last 5 years! Get a grip!

You go off and support the newly-formed Nicola Cortese FC, then, and we'll stick to supporting Southampton :toppa:

He is also responsible for overseeing he transfers in Mayuka, Guly, Ramirez, Forren, Lee and Gazzaniga for huge sums for us excluding the sages we know nothing about, he was a businessman but knew nothing of football, lets have a balance here.

WhitemoreC: Supposedly there was a problem at the club where Nicola Cortese had too much power which as a result was affecting the club, many sponsors..

WhitemoreC: Didn't want anything to do with the club and there was a lot more then shown to the public eye. And wasn't as essential as people believe...

WhitemoreC: For the football club and Katherine Liebbher knows a lot more then people think and should be exited about the future ahead.

I suppose the key question is why he left. Was it because there was a serious difference of opinion and he felt that his position here was untenable, or has he had a more attractive offer that was far too good to refuse?

I'd also like to know this. The reason behind the decision is the most important thing.

I suppose the key question is why he left. Was it because there was a serious difference of opinion and he felt that his position here was untenable, or has he had a more attractive offer that was far too good to refuse?

Well it wont ne a shpckif he goes to Milan in the next few months will it? He baby was not that important after all.

Chairman of Southampton Sunseekers with a 'warchest' to acheive his CL dreams ?

WhitemoreC: Supposedly there was a problem at the club where Nicola Cortese had too much power which as a result was affecting the club, many sponsors..

WhitemoreC: Didn't want anything to do with the club and there was a lot more then shown to the public eye. And wasn't as essential as people believe...

WhitemoreC: For the football club and Katherine Liebbher knows a lot more then people think and should be exited about the future ahead.

Who's this fella?

I'm not sure I was trying to make a point. I was just throwing this out to spark debate and you've obliged with some valid observations.

Interesting. Ultimately, the recent investment in infrastructure and players has come from KL, not Cortese. It'll be intersting to see if that investment dries up.

Neil Ashton from the Mail says Pochettino will quit after Saturday's game.

If that is true and Ashton is both well connected and not usually one to post rumours then you have to fear that some of the players will want out as well. The presser tomorrow will be interesting, if Perez does it and MP is a no show that would imply this is true

Neil Ashton from the Mail says Pochettino will quit after Saturday's game.

Might as well go now then if that's the case.

Just need to see what the next few days have in store. KL will have known this was coming so expect she already has the wheels in motion.

Hopefully The Southampton Way was the clubs dream and not just NC's

If that is true and Ashton is both well connected and not usually one to post rumours then you have to fear that some of the players will want out as well. The presser tomorrow will be interesting, if Perez does it and MP is a no show that would imply this is true

Couldn't blame the players for being majorly hacked off if MP does go. Many of them have improved under him, and seem to have very close relationships with him.

That could be a reason for him wanting to stay, but as he said before NC was the club to him almost.

Seeing as no one actually answered my question but instead ****ed their politically correct pants using incorrect terminology, I will assume it is the young lady with the rather curvier than average physique as I can't see too many people being offended by saying a woman who looks like she is sucking a wasp looks like she is sucking a wasp?

You go off and support the newly-formed Nicola Cortese FC, then, and we'll stick to supporting Southampton :toppa:

Well said Steve. NO ONE is bigger than the club. Not Cortese, not Lowe, not McMenemy, not even dear old Ted.

SMS will still be standing tomorrow morning. Players will still be training tomorrow. We will get a new CEO. Maybe we'll have new owners at some point soon. Possibly a new manager. But what we can be sure of is that 11 players will take the field and give their all for SFC for the rest of the season, and that the ground will be full of passionate fans cheering them on. That will never change.

And who knows, the team may even be wearing red & white striped shirts and black shorts next season... ;-)

Couldn't blame the players for being majorly hacked off if MP does go. Many of them have improved under him, and seem to have very close relationships with him.

That could be a reason for him wanting to stay, but as he said before NC was the club to him almost.

I think if he goes good riddance. Will not show any loyalty to saints at all.

I would be disappointed if Pochettino goes in the next few weeks. That said, you never want a Manager loyal to someone at the club rather than the club itself so it would be for the best. However, there is no reason why he couldn't be backed to the same degree he was under Cortese if the club wants to support him. If the owners really don't want to sell then the next few weeks could be used as a very good PR exercise around any number of things which would make fans happy.

Can't possibly be true. Cortese secured a lucrative shirt sponsorship deal with one of the top five computer firms in the Chilworth area.

And that bespoke red kit we secured took some doing, I can tell you.

Perhaps he is a man of principle, he said he would go if Nc left and so might?I hope things have changed since he said that last May and now is fully commited to the cause

So we were only living on borrowed time then, and it was inevitable that whenever Cortese decided to go back home the Club spiral in to decline.

There is no loyalty in football anymore, virtually none anyway.

What I do know is that as Manager of this team Pochettino works bloody hard to make us a better team, and in my lifetime of over 25 years is our best Manager.

Would be gutting to lose him as well.

The club (fans aside) ripped apart in the space of a few days...