Cortese has left Southampton Football Club - Officially Confirmed

Saint-Armstrong

In all honesty I am gutted by this news, although it wasn't a surprise at all.

The playing and backroom staff are all professionals and will continue to do the jobs they are paid to do, I am fairly certain of that.

I also get the feeling that out club hasn't seen the last of Nicola. With no basis on anything, I really do think he has a plan b and will return. Not wishful thinking or anything, just an inkling.

No real reason for Liebherr to turn down decent offers for our players now.

Yep. She's probably been told she will get more money by selling Shaw, Lallana, Rickie, etc., and then selling the club as a PL team with a bumptious TV deal.

No coincidence that we are arguably 3 wins from safety...

Maybe there's a silver lining to be had here? Maybe one way of persuading Pochettino and the players that there is life after Cortese is for Katharina to get her chequebook out and make a couple of headline grabbing signings in the next couple of weeks....

Absolutely no chance

Katherina Leibherr only wants ONE thing

To SELL SFC .....

Nothing else on her agenda

All she has gaurenteed is a very rapid meltdown

Get a grip some of you. He wasn't the one with the money and he had little say on the on-field matters. Unless Pochettino goes (which wouldn't be all that much of a disaster) and all our best players leave then this is pretty irrelevant. Hopefully Le Tiss/Benali can be welcome at the club again and we can get our stripes back next season.

Have to agree, except the part about Poch leaving, I think we could be well in the doo doo if that happens. If she persuades him to stay then happy days, business as usual.

You would like to assume that, if NC has been working his notice period for a number of months, KL has been working hard during that intervening period to either resolve the differences or find his successor, so an appointment in that regard might not be that far away considering we now have confirmation that the differences couldn't be resolved.

The whole point of the structure of the club that has been in place and built upon over the last four and a half years is that it doesn't rely upon one individual - this period will be the biggest test of that.

If KL isn't already in advanced negotiations with a buyer then looking for a positive scenario to play out is difficult, its the end of the dream. A very sad day for SFC.

Being as the news is that Cortese submitted his resignation 3 months ago its fair to assume that *something* has been going on in the background. Quite how substantial that something is, well, we'll see. A bit of a faux pas that we don't seem to have someone lined up to take over reasonably straight away though.

Why anyone didn't think SFC was for sale as soon as ML passed away is a little naive. Why should KL want to carry on with this "folly" of her father's, especially if she has no interest at all in football. I suspect that NC might have been tasked with disposing of SFC while at the same time running it in the best possible manner to increase it's value. While he has succeeded on one front, he hasn't on the other.

Cue the backstabbing and vitriol of Cortese when 24 hours ago he was the unofficial patron saint of Southampton.

As long as we have a team we have a love, he was not a football man, he was and is a numbers man. It was his baby and he gave it back, that proves how much he thought of us.

Don't feed the troll

Nothing in the statement mentions selling. In fact her words indicate this is not the case. I believe the ultimatum was sell to bring in any money to purchase future players. Let's be up front, the purchase of Oswaldo, Ramirez and the results would have got most chairman the boot.

You would like to assume that, if NC has been working his notice period for a number of months, KL has been working hard during that intervening period to either resolve the differences or find his successor, so an appointment in that regard might not be that far away considering we now have confirmation that the differences couldn't be resolved.

The whole point of the structure of the club that has been in place and built upon over the last four and a half years is that it doesn't rely upon one individual - this period will be the biggest test of that.

Forgot who the quote was from, but wasn't there a statement very early on that the club was going to be able to stand on its own feet and not rely on anyone? If that's the case then we're fine.

Why that assumption?

Why are people assuming we're for sale or that it's best that we're sold?

There have been conflicting rumours that KL has wanted out but on the other hand want a greater involvement.

Why is the former more likely than the latter? How do we know that the latter would be a bad thing?

This is a shock but until we know KL actual intentions people must stop overreacting and jumping to wild conclusions.

Nothing in the statement mentions selling. In fact her words indicate this is not the case. I believe the ultimatum was sell to bring in any money to purchase future players. Let's be up front, the purchase of Oswaldo, Ramirez and the results would have got most chairman the boot.

Been saying that all day..

Sad to see him go, his ambition and drive has been first class and he was instrumental in saving our club. Thanks for everything Mr. Cortese.

However we should try to be rational and not over emotional - he isn't the only decent businessman in the world. "Just another department head" is how he described the team manager and he is the same, nobody is irreplaceable. We will replace him with someone who will do some things better and some things worse but the club will still be here and we'll all still spend time and money we don't have supporting it.

We might even wear stripes again next season...

Cortese to ride back as a white knight on his steed with his investors who have been waiting in the wings, and lead us on to the Champions League. She wants to sell, and he wants to buy. This is just an "interim period". You heard it hear first!

Why is it being treated like she's gonna asset strip the club?

I think it's safe to say she doesn;t really care much for SFC or football in general, this was the venture of her Dad. Do you REALLY think she'd mind if Shaw and Lallana left?

Poch will lose a lot of money if he resigns, I would bet on him staying.

Hoping we get stripes back next season.

Cortese is one of more capable chairmen out there, but he's not irreplaceable. It all depends who they bring in.

Who will be the next owners is the bigger question than who will be the next chairman

Given that the news yesterday was that he would leave at the end of the season but now he has gone today, it seems there has been recent discussion/dispute to me, even if the question of transfer budgets has been knocking around for a while. Must have become evident that no money would become available this transfer window, despite Cortese's best efforts to engineer some.

Cortese strikes me as quite a petulant volatile guy, so not surprised he would end up having a dispute and walking out

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer