Cortese has left Southampton Football Club - Officially Confirmed

Saint-Armstrong

To some people, having a respectable club that keeps to its traditions is worth more than a businessman leaving a business. If this was 30 years ago, barely anyone would have even known his name let alone cared about him leaving.

30 years ago, the prem wasn't the biggest football league in the world, players were not multi-millionaires and it wasn't a global game like it is today. Football has changed. Your problem is that you were born about 30 years too late for what you want. If stripes and MLT and Benali is all you need, fair play.

Almost 1 year to the day that Adkins was sacked, Cortese resigns. January is a bad month for us.

The next chairman has one hell of a job to do, and hopefully has the same mindset as Cortese. Players, managers and chairman come and go, but us fans will always be Saints.

COYR

The obvious issue is that KL wants to sell up so there will be no continuity until that happens.

Seems very odd the so many are stating this as if its a given, when in fact the reports are that this has happened because she refused to sell the club (presumably to an alternative buyer that NC had identified). I don't actually believe that she has any intention of selling the club, but that's just my view. This is really bad news, non-exec chairwoman who has no interest in and little understanding of football in search for new Exec. NC's ambition clearly exceeds KL's ambition, now we will be limited in what we can do. Doing this in the middle of the transfer window as well, idiocy.

Still at least this will see the demise of the Cult of Cortese. I guess some of our friendly trolls will be along soon to say "I told you so, I was right all along". Oh joy.

Won't the club be easier to sell / more attractive to a buyer if we don't sell off its best assets relatively cheaply?

Exactly, what sort of idiot would sell all the assets whilst trying to sell the club at the same time. What does she think, that new potential buyers wont notice?

Worse case scenario IMO, is a return to the Rupert Lowe model of producing players to sell for a profit. Is that really the end of the world, are we really heading for a Skate type meltdown?

We have a fantastic academy , why would she, or any new owner , not base any future business model on that?

The statement says he worked his notice.

Where does it say that? I find it very hard to believe he came into work today thinking it would be his last day at the club. I think he tried to play hardball with KL and lost, so she finally accepted the resignation from some months previously, with immediate effect. (Swiss contracts tend to have far longer notice periods than UK ones)

That's why the late night meetings with the management staff, who otherwise would have been fully informed.

2 other points from me - I wouldn't fancy being MP's interpreter tomorrow. That will be one hell of a press conference...

Also LOL @simonpeach

30 years ago, the prem wasn't the biggest football league in the world, players were not multi-millionaires and it wasn't a global game like it is today. Football has changed. Your problem is that you were born about 30 years too late for what you want. If stripes and MLT and Benali is all you need, fair play.

The two things aren't necessarily exclusive.

Cortese had been at St Mary’s pleading with Mauricio Pochettino to remain in charge of Southampton for this weekend’s clash at Sunderland.

The former chairman had a dramatic day of negotiations with Liebherr’s lawyers Allen & Overy.

Pochettino intends to quit the club in support of Cortese, but the Italian banker had been pleading with him to stay and see the job through.

A number of players - who all bought into the dream of playing Champions League football at Southampton - are furious with developments.

Some of them are planning transfer requests and the agreements from young players to honour their commitment to stay at the club is now in jeopardy.

Liebherr has engaged her lawyers over the past few weeks to engineer her move into power and that is likely to be confirmed before the weekend.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2540112/Southampton-accept-resignation-chairman-Nicola-Cortese-manager-Mauricio-Pochettino-close-following.html#ixzz2qUz9XMS0

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

More detail

Of course she will just as Marcus appointed Cortese, a financial man. It is the structure below who are football people. They are still in place.

Exactly. Maybe, just maybe, there is no plan to sell and we can carry on as we were albeit with a different chair.

Didn't say it was all I need. But at the end of the day it's just a businessman leaving a business. If Pochettino and the majority of our players stay then it's going to have little or no affect. Even if not, there's other players out there and other managers. Hardly the end of the world like everyone's making it out to be.

It will be business as usual tomorrow. Pochettino and the players should be too professional to let this affect the game on Saturday.

Of course the Manager and players will seek assurances that the vision of the club remains the same. That will only come when the owner appoints a new CEO so do not expect any rash decisions for now.

According to reports it was Cortese who resigned. He was not dismissed. We do not know why and we probably will not find out the truth in the coming weeks.

Cortese put in a structure so that if anyone was to leave the business would not be harmed. He was a good hardnosed Chairman & CEO as far as the business was concerned. He was not everyone’s cup of tea but he had the vision and someone else’s money. Let us see who comes into the hot seat. CEO’s go, businesses evolve and may be the time is right.

A good win at Sunderland will be just the tonic.

Good post Ron. Though I got the feeling that he was the ultimate authority. That nothing happened without him ticking the box. I get the feeling that maybe he was asked to share the load a bit but wouldn't.

Didn't say it was all I need. But at the end of the day it's just a businessman leaving a business. If Pochettino and the majority of our players stay then it's going to have little or no affect. Even if not, there's other players out there and other managers. Hardly the end of the world like everyone's making it out to be.

Tell Luke Shaw's old man that.

Of course it isn't but in terms of progression, good managers and players leaving usually leads to one thing. We've been there before.

Seems very odd the so many are stating this as if its a given, when in fact the reports are that this has happened because she refused to sell the club (presumably to an alternative buyer that NC had identified). I don't actually believe that she has any intention of selling the club, but that's just my view. This is really bad news, non-exec chairwoman who has no interest in and little understanding of football in search for new Exec. NC's ambition clearly exceeds KL's ambition, now we will be limited in what we can do. Doing this in the middle of the transfer window as well, idiocy.

Running with that scenario, maybe she values the club higher than Cortese's bidders were willing to pay?

He was never going to be here long term. He's not from this area and presumably only took the position because of Markus. He has achieved what he set out to do and the club is in a very good state. Maybe he gets an offer fro Milan and decides he wants to be nearer his familiar surroundings? As an American once said to me: "Nobody's indispensable. Kennedy gets shot, we've got a new president in five minutes". With a business of this size this situation will have been prepared for.

What is a football person by your definition? You mentioned it

Read the posts back and look at the context. The point is that someone does not have to be from a football background to successfully run a football club. NC proved that albeit he was surrounded by people from a football background. KL is no less qualified (from a football background perspective) to run the club than NC was when he took over.

It was only a matter of time before NC left, and to be honest I'm glad he's gone. He had no feeling for the club, the fans or our heritage. Looking forward to Katarina taking over.

Someone who has no experience in football negotiations? Say what you like about Cortese but he was a phenomenal negotiator.

The thing I cannot understand is why Cortese would be working hard to persuade MP to stay. Unless he is planning to head up a consortium to buy the club if KL does put it up for sale and has told MP to sit tight why would he bother ?

Perhaps he genuinely still wants us to do well? Why wouldn't he? He might have left but I'm sure he would't want to see his hard work go down the swanny.

Get a grip some of you. He wasn't the one with the money and he had little say on the on-field matters. Unless Pochettino goes (which wouldn't be all that much of a disaster) and all our best players leave then this is pretty irrelevant. Hopefully Le Tiss/Benali can be welcome at the club again and we can get our stripes back next season.

Yeah that really is our priority at the moment....................................half wit

Doesn't look good from what he's tweeting. This could be the straw that broke the camel's back, if Luke leaves then clubs could be all over us for our star players.

F*cking hell.

Yep, I reckon the sale of an 18 year old left back will herald the demise of our 129 year old football club.

Doesn't look good from what he's tweeting. This could be the straw that broke the camel's back, if Luke leaves then clubs could be all over us for our star players.

F*cking hell.

Jesus Christ. Calm down. If he wants to go, he goes and we get £30m according to the other thread, which according to many people will buy us a lot of talent and a decent replacement.

Our fans are hilarious.

We still have a club - if one or two players are so easily swayed and want to leave, we'll get [good] money for them to buy players who want to be here.

Jesus Christ. Calm down. If he wants to go, he goes and we get £30m according to the other thread, which according to many people will buy us a lot of talent and a decent replacement.

Our fans are hilarious.

We still have a club - if one or two players are so easily swayed and want to leave, we'll get [good] money for them to buy players who want to be here.

if lallana and haw were sold to united. you are looking at £40m+

Probably more then us...

West Ham also back in for Lambert this afternoon apparently but are "some way apart on personal terms"

Rickie's personal terms being he wants to play for a decent club that plays a good brand of football that's not at the arse end of the league.