Cortese has left Southampton Football Club - Officially Confirmed

Saint-Armstrong

It will be business as usual tomorrow. Pochettino and the players should be too professional to let this affect the game on Saturday.

Of course the Manager and players will seek assurances that the vision of the club remains the same. That will only come when the owner appoints a new CEO so do not expect any rash decisions for now.

According to reports it was Cortese who resigned. He was not dismissed. We do not know why and we probably will not find out the truth in the coming weeks.

Cortese put in a structure so that if anyone was to leave the business would not be harmed. He was a good hardnosed Chairman & CEO as far as the business was concerned. He was not everyone’s cup of tea but he had the vision and someone else’s money. Let us see who comes into the hot seat. CEO’s go, businesses evolve and may be the time is right.

A good win at Sunderland will be just the tonic.

Why is it being treated like she's gonna asset strip the club?

Exactly. The rubbish I've read on here today is insane. This could be as simple, and positive, as KL having wanted to install a proper football man to help NC buy more shrewdly and NC throwing his toys out of the pram.

That's a guess of course but I'm not sure that positive guesses are allowed.

Cortese to ride back as a white knight on his steed with his investors who have been waiting in the wings, and lead us on to the Champions League. She wants to sell, and he wants to buy. This is just an "interim period". You heard it hear first!

Maybe that's why the rumours had him convincing potchettino to stay. Desperate straw grabbing is better than fearing the predicted sales.

I doubt she knows anything about them past their name and valuations.

A bit of a silly assumption. The Liebherr's are bright people, you said so yourself, so she will have surrounded herself with football people advising her. It's naive to think it's just her.

Nothing in the statement mentions selling. In fact her words indicate this is not the case. I believe the ultimatum was sell to bring in any money to purchase future players. Let's be up front, the purchase of Oswaldo, Ramirez and the results would have got most chairman the boot.

Its entirely possible that NC has left in order to appear independent as he closes a deal to buy the club.

We will see...

Pair of loons.

Results, he has overseen saints from bottom of L1 to mid table Prem. A shell of a club, to a well established and well run club.

Ossie and Ramirez, you talk as if they have both gone with nothing back. Both could be sold, probably recouping the majority of their fees. Whilst players like JRod, Clyne Lovren would most likely sell at massive profits.

It will be business as usual tomorrow. Pochettino and the players should be too professional to let this affect the game on Saturday.

Of course the Manager and players will seek assurances that the vision of the club remains the same. That will only come when the owner appoints a new CEO so do not expect any rash decisions for now.

According to reports it was Cortese who resigned. He was not dismissed. We do not know why and we probably will not find out the truth in the coming weeks.

Cortese put in a structure so that if anyone was to leave the business would not be harmed. He was a good hardnosed Chairman & CEO as far as the business was concerned. He was not everyone’s cup of tea but he had the vision and someone else’s money. Let us see who comes into the hot seat. CEO’s go, businesses evolve and may be the time is right.

A good win at Sunderland will be just the tonic.

Really good post Weston. Mean that.

A bit of a silly assumption. The Liebherr's are bright people, you said so yourself, so she will have surrounded herself with football people advising her. It's naive to think it's just her.

And I think its naiive to think the people surrounding her are "football people" rather than financial advisors.

If you think about it. After ML's death the owner (KL) clearly did not want to be involved at all in the running of the club. Did she ever attend a game. Nobody knows. Do we really want an owner who is not interested in the club and its heritage. She clearly wants to sell the club and may already have a buyer ready to go. With an interested buyer my guess is that NC could see his control being diluted and that was probably where the conflict has been all along. If managed well there is no reason why something positive can emerge from this. My guess is that she's smarter than we think and has probably been well advised. Many a large organisation has lost a charismatic CEO but continued to succeed. It's better that it happened now that we are in a good position as a club.

Cortese to ride back as a white knight on his steed with his investors who have been waiting in the wings, and lead us on to the Champions League. She wants to sell, and he wants to buy. This is just an "interim period". You heard it hear first!

Except that you're about the 23rd person to suggest this possible scenario today... ;)

And if he was working out a notice period they will have a transition plan in place, be that a new CEO (like Purslow) or a plan for a sale. I for one hope she communicates this all to MP this evening with reassurances that no one will be sold in this window

The statement says he worked his notice. We either believe it or we don't. If he did, he was working knowing this was coming. In my experience of this situation one or two of his closest in the firm will know. That would be Reid & MoPo IMHO. You can also question his focus through that period too.

If it's BS then we have to hope she is committed to finding a replacement very soon.

It all seems very strange & most definitely NOT ' the Southampton way!'

Never forget how utterly ruthless NC is & was.

Very worrying, but I supported us before NC, bought a season ticket in L1 & will do so again if the worst happens.

And I think its naiive to think the people surrounding her are "football people" rather than financial advisors.

NC wasn't a football person. Why could another non football person not be as successful as he was?

Jesus.......

To some people, having a respectable club that keeps to its traditions is worth more than a businessman leaving a business. If this was 30 years ago, barely anyone would have even known his name let alone cared about him leaving.

I can not see how this is good news for the club in anyway at all. Totally the opposite in fact.....unless Cortese has been been plotting with new investors to buy the club. However i fear this may just be wishful thinking. The manager nailed his colours to Corteses post and many of the players have also done the same, believing in the way Cortese was taking us forward. If he does not return quickly or a mega rich owner is waiting in the wings to buy us i can only see us going one way....and its not good!

Who is telling us that KL has no interest in Football, what's to say that when her Father took over the club she didn't get interested as previously it was something that was just not on her radar. Being such a chauvinistic environment how much is assumption because she is a girl she wouldn't be interested. Cortese resigned from Mali which is run by KL, maybe she wanted to have more to do with Saints but NiC keep trying to close the door on her.

The Chat was that we would not have stripes while NC was in charge, who's to say that the Markus flag has been locked away because of NC and saying the family would be a convenient way to brush it away.

Ever since we have been Swiss owned, we have conducted our business in the quiet Swiss manner, which is seen as being secret to the point of sinister. The Swiss know they can piddle up the wall but unlike every other nation don't enter the competition to do it publically.

We will probably never know what has gone on to reach the point we are at right now.

What's a football person? Someone who has lead a club from bottom of league 1 to top half of prem in less than 5 years probably qualifies.

You've proved the point that someone doesn't have to be from a football background to successfully lead a football club.

Who is telling us that KL has no interest in Football, what's to say that when her Father took over the club she didn't get interested as previously it was something that was just not on her radar. Being such a chauvinistic environment how much is assumption because she is a girl she wouldn't be interested. Cortese resigned from Mali which is run by KL, maybe she wanted to have more to do with Saints but NiC keep trying to close the door on her.

The Chat was that we would not have stripes while NC was in charge, who's to say that the Markus flag has been locked away because of NC and saying the family would be a convenient way to brush it away.

Ever since we have been Swiss owned, we have conducted our business in the quiet Swiss manner, which is seen as being secret to the point of sinister. The Swiss know they can piddle up the wall but unlike every other nation don't enter the competition to do it publically.

We will probably never know what has gone on to reach the point we are at right now.

Along with Weston's that is another great post.

We just don't know.

On a positive note, we've all decided to get down the pub early on Saturday before the game so we can grieve, hope, rage, mourn and generally numb the pain.