Cortese has left Southampton Football Club - Officially Confirmed

Saint-Armstrong

Apologies if it's been discussed, I Haven't got time to read 15 pages, but my question is:

Why now? Mid-season, during the transfer window. Is that significant? I'm well aware it's been brewing for a bit but I can't see Cortese resigning at the drop of a hat: it was obviously planned. Ar the Milan offers genuine, did he give a deadline for certain things to happen. Why not the end of the season? B****r.

Now is because the Don's been working his 3 months notice.

Oh if only any of us had the slightest idea of what is going on. For my part I live in the hope that the Don has a plan and will return as part of a buy out.

I wouldn't mind a sneaky tenner that by the time the ball is kicked in August, NC is Chairman again.

Sounds mental now but nobody has got the faintest idea whats really going on. It certainly wouldn't surprise me put it that way.

For some reason there are still a few here who think it will all be ok. :lol:

We are now at the start of a downward curve, hopefully not as quick as the route up was.

I think it will be OK, see no reason to think otherwise, the players are still here, the manager is still here and as for the sale of Lambert and Shaw that's being speculated upon in another thread I personally don't think the loss of either would make a great deal of difference if we buy what I consider to be a god left back within this window. Shaw is not the world's best left back as of yet and for about 7 or 8 million we could get an excellent replacement.

Agreed. And even if she were not the owner of the club - just an ordinary person, going about her day - what on earth gives these ignorant, immature and amoral goofs the notion that it is OK to insult people they have never met (and know nothing about) because of their physical appearance?

It's at times like these that you wish Facebook, Twitter, and these sorts of internet fora would simply drop off the face of the Earth.

Simply disgraceful.

Listen to me you sanctimonious, moralising, politically correct tart. I am assuming that at some stage in your life you have been to a few football matches where you may well have sung songs about people being fat, short, ginger or ugly. Why on earth I cannot call some woman who is in the process of pulling to bits the most fantastic period of being a Saints supporter that I have witnessed in 30 years a salad dodger I cannot understand. All discrimination is pretty awful in the majority of contexts and I accept that but this is football, I grew up on the Milton and if I want to call someone who has made me feel so low about my football club a stupid juvenile name then that is my right. Coming from a lanky ugly ginger tosser like me I think I have earned it.

Edited by mynameisthehulk
because

What do we really know?

Do you think MP will walk? I would feel pretty fed up if I was Osvaldo.

Do we know that KL is really against Football?

No we know nothing!

Stop speculating and wait and see.

Cortese has achieved great things, but he's not a Saint!

Well said sir, BUT this is a open forum (for members) to discuss and speculate on what might happen, or what we feel should happen. There is no forum, if you sit and wait for the outcome!

Listen to me you sanctimonious, moralising, politically correct tart. I am assuming that at some stage in your life you have been to a few football matches where you may well have sung songs about people being fat, short, ginger or ugly. Why on earth I cannot call some woman who is in the process of pulling to bits the most fantastic period of being a Saints supporter that I have witnessed in 30 years a salad dodger I cannot understand. All discrimination is pretty awful in the majority of contexts and I accept that but this is football, I grew up on the Milton and if I want to call someone who has made me feel so low about my football club a stupid juvenile name then that is my right. Coming from a lanky ugly ginger tosser like me I think I have earned it.

Aren't you condemning someone before you have heard her intentions? And don't forget the day we let Liebherr pay £14m for us, technically our club became his family's club. We have no rights, that is the price you pay when owned by wealthy people who were never fans. The alternative? Take a look down the fishy end of the M27. For now I will stick with Katharina and I couldn't give a flying fig what she looks like.

Aren't you condemning someone before you have heard her intentions? And don't forget the day we let Liebherr pay £14m for us, technically our club became his family's club. We have no rights, that is the price you pay when owned by wealthy people who were never fans. The alternative? Take a look down the fishy end of the M27. For now I will stick with Katharina and I couldn't give a flying fig what she looks like.

I completely agree with you. Well put................Im off to check I took the right medication this morning :)

I don't actually CARE what she looks like, she is still a salad dodger, and as I have stated elsewhere it is my opinion that her intention is to shift the club on for the highest possible return for herself, I might be wrong and I will be happy to eat a massive slice of (reduced fat) humble pie if that is the case. My opinion, however, appears to be supported by most of the reports I have seen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25755711

"The problems began at the end of last season and although an uneasy truce was reached in May, by the time the season had begun, it was clear all was not well. Liebherr, who was left the club by her father Marcus following his sudden death in 2010, had no interest in Southampton and no knowledge of football - she wanted to sell the club. Cortese was open to that, but his preference for a sale in two or three years was at odds with Liebherr's desire for an immediate sale."

There are some interesting bits flying around today, regarding how we were planning to win the league, how the ambition and drive is lost etc.

But let's be honest for a second, ambition and drive is great, but that alone will not enable us to win the league. We would need to spend an utter fortune to even compete in a title race, and Cortese wouldn't have been going to his pocket to fund it - he'd have been going to the family.

We've probably hit a bit of a stalemate in terms of progress. As a self sustaining club, we're probably top 10 - so in my personal opinion, to get to the next level we were always going to need that next notch up in terms of investment. Maybe this situation will push all of that to a head, I don't believe the family will provide that next level of investment if I'm honest. That could well be the crux of it all...who knows.

I don't actually CARE what she looks like, she is still a salad dodger, and as I have stated elsewhere it is my opinion that her intention is to shift the club on for the highest possible return for herself, I might be wrong and I will be happy to eat a massive slice of (reduced fat) humble pie if that is the case. My opinion, however, appears to be supported by most of the reports I have seen.

"The problems began at the end of last season and although an uneasy truce was reached in May, by the time the season had begun, it was clear all was not well. Liebherr, who was left the club by her father Marcus following his sudden death in 2010, had no interest in Southampton and no knowledge of football - she wanted to sell the club. Cortese was open to that, but his preference for a sale in two or three years was at odds with Liebherr's desire for an immediate sale."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/patrick-barclay-southampton-saga-shows-football-and-capitalism-are-not-great-bedfellows-even-on-a-magic-mattress-9064016.html

"That’s how it works. If you’re a Blackburn supporter, you get the glory under Jack Walker and the exasperation of the Venky’s. If you follow Chelsea or Manchester City, you just want your sugar daddies to stay for ever. If you support Hull, you’re revelling in the Premier League but fear you’re about to become a Tiger. I do often wonder if football and naked capitalism are an ideal mix."

I have thought that. No-one but yourself has mentioned it. They look a very close knit family.

I guess she may feel she is not the right person to honour that wish as she has declared she has no real interest in football. She had no real reason to meddle in football affairs (as is allegedly reported in the media) though so if that is the case then it is for the good of the club for her to sale. The falling out must have been quite spectacular for cortese to walk away from something he worked so hard for he is not the type of man to do that lightly

Pochettino's press conference is being shown live on YouTube at 3pm. The club have only just confirmed this. I could be reading too much into it but the club wouldn't show the press conference live if there was bad news coming. Perhaps the talks with KL have been productive?

Or they will just go down the 'no comment' route and focus on the game. Which would be a little insulting to be honest...

I guess she may feel she is not the right person to honour that wish as she has declared she has no real interest in football.

Do we know if this is actually true? I've only seen it referenced in Neil Ashton's articles in the Mail and in Ben Smith's articles on the BBC, and considering both of those have been fed every leak out of the club in the last year by Cortese's PR man, David Bick, I'd be slightly reluctant to necessarily believe that's true without verification from another source.

Seriously!, He's a frigging chairman, yes he's had a good run and moved the club on but his leaving does not really change much. The structure is still there, the players and manager still there. Who knows we might actually get someone in who proves to be better than Cortese.

Amazing the panic shown by some people. Pathetic almost

Good shout.

No one has any idea what's going to happen so let's just get behind the team and KL, she has after all allowed SFC to spend a small fortune over the last few years without interfering.

She's no mug and knows that SFC is a rather valuable asset now, I expect some astute recruitments and a continuation with MP and the players as they were.

KL is SFC, NC is not any more.

Get behind the team, we've got a game on Saturday and could grab another 3 points.

No one has any idea what's going to happen so let's just get behind the team and KL, she has after all allowed SFC to spend a small fortune over the last few years without interfering.

She's no mug and knows that SFC is a rather valuable asset now, I expect some astute recruitments and a continuation with MP and the players as they were.

KL is SFC, NC is not any more.

Get behind the team, we've got a game on Saturday and could grab another 3 points.

I agree that we should get behind the team, but I'm not going to blindly declare my allegiance to KL until I know what her intentions are. Why support her if all she's going to do is sell the club?

hahahaha feck me you have made me chuckle with your salad dodging posts, most amusing.

I agree that we should get behind the team, but I'm not going to blindly declare my allegiance to KL until I know what her intentions are. Why support her if all she's going to do is sell the club?

I love statements like this.

If you do decide to 'support' her what will you do, I mean how will you show your support for her? Her face on a t-shirt, an I heart Kat flag?

I love statements like this.

If you do decide to 'support' her what will you do, I mean how will you show your support for her? Her face on a t-shirt, an I heart Kat flag?

Nah, I'll probably just pipe down on here and stop bothering everyone I work with about it.

So let me get this straight.

A few years ago we had a man in charge who had too much power and we were desperate to get rid of him and said "Never again let one man have so much control over something that he is only a custodian of"

Now we have a man with too much power over something that does not belong to him and we are devastated at his departure because players will only play for him and not the club etc etc.

This time last year all the players were considering their futures when the manager who had given them the opportunity to play in the Premier League was dismissed.

The owner of the club that her father loved is going to soil his memory by running it into the ground because she is known to despise football.

Am I right so far? Think I'll go and jump off a bridge. Conclusive evidence that we're doomed.

Phil I think the sun has got to you. He was meaning NC to F1 not Bernie coming here.

Lol my worry on that was NC to team up with Bernie & his mates to come back into football by buying us with NC in charge.......

Briatore and all that gang........

After all Bernie may have some time on his hands IF he doesn't get jailed and has been kicked out of F1