Cortese has left Southampton Football Club - Officially Confirmed

Saint-Armstrong

Perhaps they sussed old Nic and guessed all this pre-planned exit strategy

I suppose because as far as we all know NC's vision was European Football asap. We have players who'd want that as a minimum, we have players who have refused to join CL clubs for vast amounts of money to continue "the project" with us. NC's departure may come as a shock to more than one, not that I think that they only found out yesterday though, some knew before, we saw it a couple of games back.

what i don't understand is the timing of this, why not after the transfer window or time it before, why had in your notice in Nov to hit in the transfer window !!!

I suppose in November we were planning our transfer window needs which had become suddenly obvious because of major injuries. If NC went to the owner and got told "nope no more swans for you" then you could understand the timing of the affair.

Me personally if anyone dared tell me I had to give up on my project and play Gazzaniga because there was nothing else available I'd have quit on the spot.

what i don't understand is the timing of this, why not after the transfer window or time it before, why had in your notice in Nov to hit in the transfer window !!!

It will take at least three to four months for any deal to complete so January is the latest NC can make his move.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25755711

"The players bought into his vision, wholeheartedly. So much so, that at least one leading Southampton player has a clause in his contract that links his own future to Cortese's."

how do you know that?

I also had heard it was Luke Shaw, but only on Twitter I think. Someone on Twitter said that he'd asked for that clause but it was rejected, so in fact he hasn't got that. Who knows what's true.

If it IS true, then he can go afaic. You sign for the club, not the chairman. Get 30m (or as much as we can) for him and move on.

Took a day to digest the news and read this thread.

Some great posts by discerning fans and some disgraceful potentially damaging posts by some you really wouldnt like when they are angry.

£900K profit for 6 months on a probable capital value of over £100M represents less than 2% return on investment, and the Capital growth has probably flattened off a bit now, hence Kats move.

She wont want to threaten the value of her investmant by selling too many, so we should be fine on the pitch - especially with MP staying.

She will probably sell to an investor with similar goals relating to the preservation of the value in the club.

Would be a bonus if she sold to a mega rich type who just wants a seat at the CL table though!

So we should be fine on the pitch this season, and going forward. 3 points Saturday will help a lot. Short termist, yes, but I am right on that.

Some great posts by discerning fans and some disgraceful potentially damaging posts by some you really wouldnt like when they are angry.

£900K profit for 6 months on a probable capital value of over £100M represents less than 2% return on investment, and the Capital growth has probably flattened off a bit now, hence Kats move.

She wont want to threaten the value of her investmant by selling too many, so we should be fine on the pitch - especially with MP staying.

She will probably sell to an investor with similar goals relating to the preservation of the value in the club.

Would be a bonus if she sold to a mega rich type who just wants a seat at the CL table though!

So we should be fine on the pitch this season, and going forward. 3 points Saturday will help a lot. Short termist, yes, but I am right on that.

This would be an excellent way to end this thread. Nice one Kingsbridge, well said.

I imagine 900k only refers to net income. Not the assets of the club - the value of which have grown appreciably in uhe last year - think of valuations for Shaw, JWP and Chambers. They would have been trivial last year compared to this year.

If Cortese really is interested in buying the club and has access to someone then why would they go for Southampton FC? They would presumably have to pay the going rate and all the big gain in capital value has already been achieved. Wouldn't it make more sense to go for another club with the prospect of more added value? He's already done it once with Saints and would probably feel that he could do it again. Alternatively if the prospective new owner has ambitions of European football and mega bucks (which they would need) then couldn't they go for a more established club higher up the table?

If Cortese really is interested in buying the club and has access to someone then why would they go for Southampton FC? They would presumably have to pay the going rate and all the big gain in capital value has already been achieved. Wouldn't it make more sense to go for another club with the prospect of more added value? He's already done it once with Saints and would probably feel that he could do it again. Alternatively if the prospective new owner has ambitions of European football and mega bucks (which they would need) then couldn't they go for a more established club higher up the table?

Which would be realistically for sale though? I can't see any of the big clubs given owners and their recent actions that seem in any way for sale :/ - I think we might be about the best club there is that is for sale at present.

Which would be realistically for sale though? I can't see any of the big clubs given owners and their recent actions that seem in any way for sale :/ - I think we might be about the best club there is that is for sale at present.

Leeds. Far more upside than Saints

Leeds. Far more upside than Saints

Depends what you mean. They are a bigger and better supported side but they dont the academy we do. On paper, the ability to generate our own players puts us on a more sustainable footing than many other clubs which can only be a massive selling point.

Depends what you mean. They are a bigger and better supported side but they dont the academy we do. On paper, the ability to generate our own players puts us on a more sustainable footing than many other clubs which can only be a massive selling point.

I'm not saying Leeds are worth more, far from it. It's that you could make far more money from developing Leeds to their full potential than you could buying saints now and maximising our potential.

I'm not saying Leeds are worth more, far from it. It's that you could make far more money from developing Leeds to their full potential than you could buying saints now and maximising our potential.

Correct. It's why Saints were such a brilliant bargain purchase in L1 - loads of potential, but actually not that much infrastructure/capital investment beyond the team. (also why the "we nearly went out of business" stuff is nonsence - we were a great prospect)

Now, it is fair to say we are a decent, healthy club, but at best we are going to break even as a mid ranking Prem team.

Unless some rent-a-shiekh comes in, but we don't have the glamour.

Nice balanced article in the Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/nicola-cortese-chose-to-leave-and-was-not-forced-out-insist-southampton-9065638.html

I personally think some of the coverage in the national press such as the Daily Mail has been quite out of order as have some of the reactions of our own fans. Katharina is not a dream wrecker. She simply wanted to implement some standard corporate governance as would be expected in any major company. Only Cortese himself can tell us why that was so unacceptable to him.

Some of the coverage and posts on here have been distinctly misogynistic. I don't remember any comments about Marcus's weight or physical attractiveness when he took over. There also seems to be an assumption that she has no business acumen as she just inherited her wealth from her father - but didn't Marcus inherit his wealth from his father? Don't you think she has been raised and educated on the understanding that she would one day take over? I can't help thinking the reaction would be totally different if she was a man.

Nice balanced article in the Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/nicola-cortese-chose-to-leave-and-was-not-forced-out-insist-southampton-9065638.html

I personally think some of the coverage in the national press such as the Daily Mail has been quite out of order as have some of the reactions of our own fans. Katharina is not a dream wrecker. She simply wanted to implement some standard corporate governance as would be expected in any major company. Only Cortese himself can tell us why that was so unacceptable to him.

Some of the coverage and posts on here have been distinctly misogynistic. I don't remember any comments about Marcus's weight or physical attractiveness when he took over. There also seems to be an assumption that she has no business acumen as she just inherited her wealth from her father - but didn't Marcus inherit his wealth from his father? Don't you think she has been raised and educated on the understanding that she would one day take over? I can't help thinking the reaction would be totally different if she was a man.

Interesting – I think that’s the first time we've heard the other side of the story. Sounds like Coretse resigned on a point of principal; we way promised sole control of the club by Marcus and saw KL’s request for a director ship as interference. However, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for someone who has pumped in £30-odd million to want some form of accountability from the person running the business.

Also interesting the the piece is neutral on the question of selling the club.

In a rather strange coincidence, at almost exactly the same time as Mr Cortese was leaving the building, a major fire broke out at the Liebherr Refrigeration warehouse in Newport Pagnell which completely destroyed the building.

A few miles from where I work. Could see the smoke from here :(

In a rather strange coincidence, at almost exactly the same time as Mr Cortese was leaving the building, a major fire broke out at the Liebherr Refrigeration warehouse in Newport Pagnell which completely destroyed the building.

surely he knows the difference between KAtharina and Isolde.

@alex_crook: Just spoken to #saintsfc legend Lawrie McMenemy who was remarkably dignified over the exit of Nicola Cortese. McMenemy refused to criticise Cortese for banning him from the #saintsfc boardroom and taking down photo of 1976 FA Cup winning side. McMenemy is adamant #saintsfc players will not be affected by Cortese's exit as long as Pochettino stays

Why do Journos ask these people questions :mcinnes:

Bit like MLT saying NC leaving won't have much of an impact :lol:

Its all so bitter.

so far, there is no evidence NC leaving has had much of an impact.

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC 49s

#SaintsFC Chairman Katharina Liebherr: “ The Club has no plans to sell any of the squad during the January transfer window.”

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC 2m

#SaintsFC Chairman Katharina Liebherr: “The manager and the team have my full support.”

Edited by Bewildered

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC 49s

#SaintsFC Chairman Katharina Liebherr: “ The Club has no plans to sell any of the squad during the January transfer window.”

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC 2m

#SaintsFC Chairman Katharina Liebherr: “The manager and the team have my full support.”

Can't really expect any more than that.

so far, there is no evidence NC leaving has had much of an impact.

I've never been a fan, but it's just a bit early to conclude his exit hasn't had a negative or indeed positive impact. The milk still being taken in isn't comprehensive evidence that this isn't a turning point of some sort (good or bad).

I doubt Laurie would come back it will affect his pensions and OAP benefits if he went back into a paid job

Why on earth would we want anything to do with that old dinosaur anyway, he's nigh on 80.

football has changed, I'd very much doubt that he's changed with it. You only have to listen to the clueless Merrington to know how much the game has moved on, or watch a Fat Sam side getting slammed by City for that matter.

Martin Samuel vs Neil Ashton!!! One actually doesn't have his shoved so far up someone else's butt that he can see what's what and write a proper article. The other is a sycophantic acolyte - a toady of the worst kind who is so obvious about what he does, that I am surprised his employers actually keep him on.

Martin Samuel vs Neil Ashton

Both are utterly terrible.

One's a fat, wheezing **** much like the breathless hyperbole of his prose who can only make a living by murdering nuance with exaggeration and peddling provocation for originality; the other is a weasel shill whose irredeemable lack of talent requires him to cultivate sources by making Faustian pacts and even more sordid acts.

Pick your poison.

But worse are the helmets on here who choose one journo over the other to confirm their prejudices.

Edited by shurlock

Hard to argue with what Samual says.

Not hard at all. Samuel's article is completely contrary to one of football's more accurate cliches "Money doesn't guarantee success". He attempts to suggest that Cortese was merely an efficient administrator (which in itself is underestimated given the numerous other clubs that have suffered from serious financial mismanagement) which is incorrect. Cortese appointed Adkins and Poch and there are several accounts of his skill as a negotiator. Whether or not he is an odious character is besides the point. He got the major calls correct on a consistent basis and our success as a result has been almost unprecedented since he arrived. The article also completely ignores smooth transition after Marcus' death which must also have had something to do with Cortese.

In my view attempts to discredit the achievements of Cortese from various posters and the media, either because they didn't like him or to reassure themselves as to our future plight now he has departed, are vitriolic and ill-conceived and I fear that history will demonstrate the same. Hopefully I am wrong.