Cortese has left Southampton Football Club - Officially Confirmed

Saint-Armstrong

I think that is probably that.

Whilst I doubt the club will implode or anything, our continued growth, the improvement, the detailed planning for everything, the drive and work ethic throughout the club and the investment. It all sources back to Cortese.

A few decent players will go, staff will go (not just Pochettino but key people throughout the club), if Katrina is looking to sell then I imagine the club will meander for the next 6 months or so.

Basically the club will be fine but the chance to be a bit more, the slim chance of pushing up the ladder is gone now IMO.

Amongst the natural concern, I had a dose of optimism in my reaction to the news yesterday. However, I've woken up this morning with an over-riding feeling of pessimism and a sense that things are likely to get worse before they get better (e.g. I've a hunch that MP will quit). I'm usually a glass half full kinda person so most unusual for me to feel this negative. Help!

You're right to be thinking that way, anything else is just straw clutching or not being able to see the woods through the trees due to bitterness towards Cortese (not saying that you are bitter as I know you're not)

Brilliant... why? I do not think they are interested in the football club and taking the club forwards. If you know different then please let me know. I think the drive has come from NC who was carrying out the wishes of his friend Marcus and the rest of the family are not to bothered. I could be way of the mark, but this is my gut feeling.

Ffs!

I would like the club to be sold at this point. I am not sure why, but I think it would be best and could push the club forward to the next stage. I for some reason feel uneasy with the situation and do not feel that the owners are 100% behind the future of the club.

Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook ·1 min

Is now likely family will appoint a ceo with experience of buying and selling clubs with a view to finding new owner in the summer #saintsfc

Now it seems it is not just my gut feeling, but I think a complete fresh start is the best option, with someone who can see we are a little bit of cash injection away from the next level.... maybe.

I think that is probably that.

Whilst I doubt the club will implode or anything, our continued growth, the improvement, the detailed planning for everything, the drive and work ethic throughout the club and the investment. It all sources back to Cortese.

A few decent players will go, staff will go (not just Pochettino but key people throughout the club), if Katrina is looking to sell then I imagine the club will meander for the next 6 months or so.

Basically the club will be fine but the chance to be a bit more, the slim chance of pushing up the ladder is gone now IMO.

Well, that would depend entirely on who bought it surely?

The more I reflect on this, the more I am convinced Katharina Liebherr doesn't want to sell the club. I believe she believes the time has come for the club to stand on it's own feet, be accountable and not merely reliant on the Liebherr millions. I was in business all my life and in many countries and knew several similar Cortese financial types. In every case, those with strong egos, total control were eventually found to be milking off the owner. Cortese needed to be accountable and should never have been left such immense power following Markus's parting. I strongly believe we shall see transfers based on the money brought in from sales of players they will replace and not on the Liebherr estate.

Good wishes to Nicolaand thanks for all he has done.

MP can go back on his word to leave to if the players persuade him to stay

We may be able to get a Chief EO of excellent quality. They come and go quite regularly in most professions.

Saints will continue either with KL as Chairman or another if it is sold.

It is unlikely she will want to sell our best assets if she sells, as this only reduces value

If we are bought by others, they will need some wherewithall--unlike last time.

We shall still be supporting the Saints and contributing to this Board.

Source. 100% fact.

Fair enough.

Don't think KL is stupid whether she wants to sell or not and will (in some way) communicate with MP and the staff today.

Also while NC will have had a number of approaches made to buy the club since ML passed away and clearly would know who was interested, this really does not feel like a walk away to come back. It would not have rumbled on since the summer if that was the only reason.

Of course he MAY now be calling people up hence some of the scuttlebut out there.

New Daily Mail article gives the most informative information on Kathrina and the club I've read. Katharina, the dream wrecker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2540218/Liebherr-dream-wrecker-How-3bn-heiress-whos-never-shown-football-ousted-man-Saints-fans-believe-again.html

Gotta love the ''timeline of a crisis'' bit. Every thing on there is success except the last point that isn't proven to be a bad thing yet

New Daily Mail article gives the most informative information on Kathrina and the club I've read. Katharina, the dream wrecker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2540218/Liebherr-dream-wrecker-How-3bn-heiress-whos-never-shown-football-ousted-man-Saints-fans-believe-again.html

Wow. That was an interesting read. Some pretty specific details in there...

It's been stated a few times on here recently that Cortese and his PR team have been using the Daily Mail to leak stories, and this piece certainly makes him out to be the good guy.

Relax people. KL will come to our games and see the team in a new light. She will be swept up in the enormous wave of love and support that we fans will show for her in a way that could never have happened for Cortese and she will be converted to the true faith. After touring our wonderful city looking for a place of her own she will be captivated by the charms of the area and the warmth of the reception wherever she goes. She now has total control over the club and can steer us wherever she chooses without interference from that 'nasty little man'.

Don't you see? It's all down to us. We can make that difference. What could go wrong? :)

Yes, that is very detailed. Notably it does not talk about her wanting to sell, whereas most articles elsewhere state she does want to sell.

it says i that article that players yesterday openly threatened to walk. i cant say i have seen any quotes to that effect. have i missed soemthing is is this just another sensationalit article

It is in Katherina's interest to sell Saints when the team and club are at a peak. The club is worth ten times what Liebherr paid for it. To get the best price she needs to sell with all the best playing staff signed on. So she will undoubtedly resist any player departures this January.

Luke, Rickie, Alan, Morgan and co need to be offered big inducements to stay. This will be the greatest business test of her skills, and more.

Well, he won't get anything now. So that doesn't make sense.

So WHY did he quit, knowing by so doing, he would forfeit any pay-off

Someone is being economical with the truth.

For example, purely on a Business level, what Company would put themselves in the position of losing their Cheif Exec BEFORE lining up a replacement ??

Something has been rotten in the State of Denmark for quite a while

For Katherina Leibherr to put it across that "we really wanted him to stay" is an insult to my inteligence

Poch does not look happy in the car on Dailymail pic at SMS yesturday. He must be off as If he was staying a nice wave hello and a smile would have been done to the waiting press and fans.

We have seen this all before Southampton FC are a `stepping stone` club to greater things.

The only thing I am concerned now is that Saints only have 30 points and we have NOT been playing well. Has a team ever stayed up with 30-34-36-38 points becouse if as indicated by Poch he goes and the clubs is then going up for sale with players put on ebay and Amazon to raise cash then Championship here we come.

With football teams the more money you have the worse the club fall out becomes if there are dissagreements etc. We would be better off as a small club and not trying to be a so called big club over paying for players etc.

Saints sould have enough money to get passed this but I doubt if its been managed properly in a bank account. Fire sale = debt trouble.

Southampton FC are the HMV of football....what a mess yet again.

For example, purely on a Business level, what Company would put themselves in the position of losing their Cheif Exec BEFORE lining up a replacement ??

For Katherina Leibherr to put it across that "we really wanted him to stay" is an insult to my inteligence

Don't worry, maybe your heroes at SISU will step in and take over

Don't take it too personally, they were never going to put 'thank god the annoying little ***** has gone' or something along those lines

Maybe he was owed an amount under an original agreement and wanted a lot more?

Now, I know there is a lot of I have heard, but I have heard twice now and once indirectly from a mate down the pub and his dog (talking dog). No all serious, I do not write stuff on here unless I think it is right or if that is how I feel. On this case it is what I have heard from a good source and backs up another persons tweet.

The club will be sold, or they are going to be looking for buyers. This was my gut feeling at first, but now I am starting to think this is the case. But I am still unsure how the source would have found out!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25755711

"The players bought into his vision, wholeheartedly. So much so, that at least one leading Southampton player has a clause in his contract that links his own future to Cortese's."

They play for Southampton Football Club, not Nicola Cortese.

Any player who is considering their future because he's left can **** off.

They play for Southampton Football Club, not Nicola Cortese.

Any player who is considering their future because he's left can **** off.

Couldn't agree more.

It reads as though his future has already been considered though and if Cortese goes then so does he. So we can expected to see someone off pretty shortly then (apparently).

"The relationship between the executive chairman and owner at Southampton had fractured beyond repair over Katharina's apparent desire to sell the asset left to her when Markus died in 2010. Cortese had opposed a swift sale and, having come close to quitting last May, the pair remained distant even after a tentative truce had been struck. Matters came to a head again in the autumn, when the team were third in the table, with Cortese resistant to the Liebherr Group playing more of a role in the day-to-day running of a club he had effectively and impressively overseen since 2009.It is understood there were also differences of opinion over how much Cortese would be due should the Liebherr Group push through a sale, all of which convinced the 45-year-old that the time had come to leave. Regardless, Katharina recognised the impact he had made at the club and had made offers described as "eye-watering" and "insane" by sources close to the negotiations in an attempt to persuade him to stay on. Those were rejected, with Cortese departing with Southampton comfortably placed in ninth."

Interesting, from a Guardian article.

Was definitely mentioned in one article (can't remember where from) a few months back that Shaw's new deal was tied to Cortese remaining at the club, i.e he had a getout clause of some sort if NC left.

I think people will start to realise over the coming period that he was much more than one paid employee.

Easy enough to say that players who don't want to be here can leave, but ultimately, its nice watching good players playing well and having a decent team.

"The relationship between the executive chairman and owner at Southampton had fractured beyond repair over Katharina's apparent desire to sell the asset left to her when Markus died in 2010. Cortese had opposed a swift sale and, having come close to quitting last May, the pair remained distant even after a tentative truce had been struck. Matters came to a head again in the autumn, when the team were third in the table, with Cortese resistant to the Liebherr Group playing more of a role in the day-to-day running of a club he had effectively and impressively overseen since 2009.It is understood there were also differences of opinion over how much Cortese would be due should the Liebherr Group push through a sale, all of which convinced the 45-year-old that the time had come to leave. Regardless, Katharina recognised the impact he had made at the club and had made offers described as "eye-watering" and "insane" by sources close to the negotiations in an attempt to persuade him to stay on. Those were rejected, with Cortese departing with Southampton comfortably placed in ninth."

Interesting, from a Guardian article.

This is good news; she might not have kept her man, but at least she recognises the importance of good leadership being directly related to keeping the value of he asset as high as possible until an optimal opportunity to sell comes along.

How the hell can an 18 year old player put that in his contract? IF this is Shaw his advicors are really really bad people. You play for the club and the badge on the shirt and most important the FANS not the Chairman for gods sake .- this is getting more and more silly by the minute.