The club is no longer run FOR the fans...............

Fitzhugh Fella

This will irk some posters for sure. But I believe we had most accountability for many a year when Lowe was in charge and say what you like about the guy but he would take the time to chat with fans if they approached him and explain why some decisions were being made.

The whole idea of 'we got our club back' when the idiots took over (wilde and co) didn't end up too well did it? I, for one, am glad we have the Liebherrs and think the 'pipe dream' of a club for the fans is long since gone.

Just can't happen in this day and age and not convinced it has ever been the case.

Look at the mob down the road to see how a 'fans' club doesn't actually really mean that.

MP usually spends a lot of time on the touchline in league games and we've not turned in a performance like that. Coincidence?

Dont ever see him screaming much.

And I see a lot of gallery pictures of him by the sideline yesterday.

Any difference from the norm?

This is a bit over the top. Whilst it would be nice to think that clubs represent fans and whomever owns them are just custodians, the reality is that ship sailed a long time ago when the sport of football became money orientated. Saints have adapted to be a part of that. We weren't complaining when we were spending millions on players. We weren't complaining when we had plans for a new £30m training complex approved. We weren't complaining when our owners kindly wrote off a £40m investment which helped us go from the bottom of League 1 to the Top 8 of the Premier League.

We aren't owed an explanation for yesterday, and the club should never be accountable to the fans. The club will realise soon enough if the fans are unhappy and I guarantee they are aware of the fan reaction. However, I don't want them to come out and respond to it because it sets a dangerous precedent. The club need to be strong and stick to what they believe they should be doing. They haven't done badly at all and whilst there have been bumps along the way they have been pretty driven at getting better and done a good job of that.

As a fan I am gutted about yesterday, I cannot fathom why we didn't give it a better shot. From the team selection right through to the general performance of those who did play it felt like a massive opportunity scorned for a reason that doesn't appear logical to me. But after a few days I will get over it and we move onto the next game. But lets not allow this one thing to undermine everything that has been achieved this season. We had a similar reaction in the Capital One Cup (although admittedly it was not as big) and that was soon forgot about after we got a few results in the league afterwards to push ourselves up the table. There is a bit of pressure on the West Ham game now. Lose or even draw that and people will point to this weekend. Win it and people start looking at how some of the teams above us in the table get that little bit closer.

Sensible response - thank you for talking like a real fan. But this weekend (and this is why I started this thread) for the first time I found myself asking "actually what is the point"? And then I realised there is none because no one of any importance at the club really cares. The guys who run the media section like Jordan Sibley and Simon Williams care but the people they answer to don't. Since we have had a temporary CEO we have heard nothing, but there again my point is "why should we think we are entitled to hear anything in the first place".

Dont ever see him screaming much.

And I see a lot of gallery pictures of him by the sideline yesterday.

Any difference from the norm?

Yeah big difference, refusing to speak to the press, why? Bringing on an 18 year old for his debut and taking off our most creative player when 0-1 down. Is that what he does in league games?

So why did Pochettino replace Lallana (always a goal threat) with McQueen with 10 mins to go when there was only one goal in it.

And why was Gallagher played on the Friday night in a U21 game when he could more usefully be employed at the SoL?

Sorry mate - I think us fans are being played like pawns and we all argue on here like our future depends on it but the reality is - no one is really listening and they never will

Lallana didn´t do very much during 83 minutes so maybe it was therefor or was he running out of steam perhaps from playing 3 games in 8 days?

Regarding Gallagher I dont know but I´m sure that with everything that has happened to the boy the last few weeks the club made the judgement that this was best for him.

Maybe he had to be part of funeral arraignments or anything else surrounding his fathers death....who knows but I will never speculate that he should be involved with the team this weekend if the club has decided it was best for him to stay at home....

I see the morons are crawling out of the woodwork again.

We lost one game in the cup. Yeah, we had a decent chance of getting to the final, but the team we put out should have won - the loss was down to a really poor performance and missing some gilt-edged chances. It's f*cking laughable that people think Poch should make a public apology, and even more laughable to suggest that a squad rotation and a defeat means that our owners don't give a f*ck about the fans at all. We really do have some proper planks among our fans...

Including you :)

As fans, we can hardly complain about what has happened to us recently.

Not sure what difference Ownership makes to team selection and performances.

Best thing KL can do is back the Manager with a new contract and leave him to continue the excellent job that he is doing and us fans to enjoy what has, on the whole, been our best top flight season in 20 years.

Good question - let me try and explain

Lowe had to be accountable.

It would be nice to think our owners had affinity.

Dunno if that helps but I sort of get it :)

Of course, accountability comes in many shapes and sizes. Often it just means more short-term pressures - only need to look at how many PLCs are at the beck and call of the City to appreciate these dysfunctions. In fact, many companies are taken private precisely to escape this form of 'accountability'. Whatever accountability is lost is more than made up by the ability of management to invest and build for the long haul.

Yeah big difference, refusing to speak to the press, why? Bringing on an 18 year old for his debut and taking off our most creative player when 0-1 down. Is that what he does in league games?

Cause the management has done that for every cup game and I think it´s quite laughable to suggest that a thing like that would affect the players....

Lallana has been taken off in league games when we were trailing yes.

But just because things dont happen in other games, why cant they happen in a game like yesterday?

Not all games are played and managed the same way, why should yesterday be any different...?

Lallana didn´t do very much during 83 minutes so maybe it was therefor or was he running out of steam perhaps from playing 3 games in 8 days?

Regarding Gallagher I dont know but I´m sure that with everything that has happened to the boy the last few weeks the club made the judgement that this was best for him.

Maybe he had to be part of funeral arraignments or anything else surrounding his fathers death....who knows but I will never speculate that he should be involved with the team this weekend if the club has decided it was best for him to stay at home....

Yea that's what I thought but it is still a bit strange that he played 90 mins on the Friday night when he could have gone to the NE. But I accept there could have been a reason. Again if there was why not tell us? Surely this sort of info is not off limits? We have become so subservient to the club's decision on what is right for us to know.

Sensible response - thank you for talking like a real fan. But this weekend (and this is why I started this thread) for the first time I found myself asking "actually what is the point"? And then I realised there is none because no one of any importance at the club really cares. The guys who run the media section like Jordan Sibley and Simon Williams care but the people they answer to don't. Since we have had a temporary CEO we have heard nothing, but there again my point is "why should we think we are entitled to hear anything in the first place".

Hear what? I'm not really sure what you're asking for. Cortese has been gone a month, we've had a statement from Kat, a new CEO appointed for the interim, been quite a few articles on the OS, more so than when Cortese was here, what do you want to hear?

Look at the gates for our cup matches over the past few seasons at reduced prices from those charged for league game. Then look at the gates for league games over the same period at the higher prices. Now tell me what the fans priorities are using those statistics!

We are all upset we lost in the cup. The team put out should have been good enough to beat Sunderland. They didn't because too many of our regulars failed to reach the standards we have come to expect.

Don't blame the owner. She does not pick the team. Just a bad day in the office against a club our first team could not beat at home earlier in the season. It happens.

Cause the management has done that for every cup game and I think it´s quite laughable to suggest that a thing like that would affect the players....

Lallana has been taken off in league games when we were trailing yes.

But just because things dont happen in other games, why cant they happen in a game like yesterday?

Not all games are played and managed the same way, why should yesterday be any different...?

So you're saying if a manager has an apathetic approach to a game then it won't affect the players?

As fans, we can hardly complain about what has happened to us recently.

Not sure what difference Ownership makes to team selection and performances.

Best thing KL can do is back the Manager with a new contract and leave him to continue the excellent job that he is doing and us fans to enjoy what has, on the whole, been our best top flight season in 20 years.

Saint Charlie, I truly rate MP and want to see him get a new contract but I will be very surprised if he is still here a year from now. Why do I think that? Because this club is run now as a business.

So you're saying if a manager has an apathetic approach to a game then it won't affect the players?

As I said, I dont see that it was apathetic or any different to any league game. He was by the sideline at times, sat down at times and giving instructions to players at times.

Just like any other game.

Saint Charlie, I truly rate MP and want to see him get a new contract but I will be very surprised if he is still here a year from now. Why do I think that? Because this club is run now as a business.

It has been for years. It was under NC.

The summer will be crucial to see what the true aims are, but generally people want businesses to succeed.

Just like every other club, when you chase fans dreams you end up like Leeds United.

Of course, accountability comes in many shapes and sizes. Often it just means more short-term pressures - only need to look at how many PLCs are at the beck and call of the City to appreciate these dysfunctions. In fact, many companies are taken private precisely to escape this form of 'accountability'. Whatever accountability is lost is more than made up by the ability of management to invest and build for the long haul.

Good point but you are now equating SFC with businesses in the City. Actually I think you are right which is where I came in on the original post. We are not a football team we are a business who has a football team.

As I said, I dont see that it was apathetic or any different to any league game. He was by the sideline at times, sat down at times and giving instructions to players at times.

Just like any other game.

Why take off your most creative player and give a kid a debut when chasing a game?

It's all a bit of an overreaction isnt it? We dont know the strategy or the goals currently in place but we do know that the owners and management who are being derided for not winning a game in the FA Cup have a team playing what was claimed (on here) to be playing the best ever football by a Saints team and have implemented an academy policy which garnishes widespread praise including being lauded as the model to save the English game. This has including a multimillion £ investment to improve the facility and a stated aim to have a minimum number of academy players in the first team.

If the FA Cup is such a wonderful ambition then why were there only 17k at the game? Has there been a full attendance for any FA Cup game this season?

It may be that the club's strategy is to finish as high as possible in order to create a platform to attract better players and therefore push on from there? It may be that the owners want the highest position to enable an optimal sale?

One thing seems to be clear though in that the only people putting their money in is the owners and for the life of me I cannot see why their interests would not be aligned with that of their client base? Bull***t walks as they say and these guys have a significant amount at risk so how about having a little tolerance and trust - I think their efforts over the last five years have earned at least this/

It has been for years. It was under NC.

The summer will be crucial to see what the true aims are, but generally people want businesses to succeed.

Ok let's see what happens this summer, but don't hold your breath. Someone in a very high up official position at SMS is forecasting we will be sold

Good point but you are now equating SFC with businesses in the City. Actually I think you are right which is where I came in on the original post. We are not a football team we are a business who has a football team.

But that's what we were as a PLC -of course, a disproportionate number of shareholders would have been 'fans' relative to other PLCs, though their shareholdings as a whole would have been pretty small.

Edited by shurlock

Bad performance?

Fatigue?

I dont buy that it was because club or manager didn´t care about the game. If it was SO, why did our most creative player start?

Lallana didn't play badly. It just doesn't add up why you would take off your best player and bring a kid on who hasn't played a minute of first team football on when you're trying to stay in the FA cup.

But that's what we were as a PLC -of course, a disproportionate number of shareholders would have been 'fans', though their shareholdings as a whole would have been pretty small.

Yea I guess it all started when Lowe helped us get on to the stock exchange. But in fairness to him he was only doing what had to be done. That was the day the "music died".

But what else can it be but a football club run as a business? Income from TV rights themselves are so huge that I just can't see how they could be entrusted to a fan-on-the-board type of democracy. As to whether PLC status gives more accountability, I'd rather measure it by the accountability of results - and Lowe et al took us from the Prem to League 1 and the Liebherrs took us from League 1 to the Prem.

Lallana didn't play badly. It just doesn't add up why you would take off your best player and bring a kid on who hasn't played a minute of first team football on when you're trying to stay in the FA cup.
Agree- when you put it like that, it hammers home that the management of our club really weren't too fussed about us exiting the competition.

Hey Fitzhugh Fella why don't you put down the big sign saying 'LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, PLEASE' and have a reality check.

Maybe you should do the same? But hold on you are anonymous so what would be the point? I bet that really ****s you off. You want attention but you can't get it because... hold on you are too frightened.

How about you say it to my face Duncan@duncanholley.co.uk :)

Maybe you should do the same? But hold on you are anonymous so what would be the point? I bet that really ****s you off. You want attention but you can't get it because... hold on you are too frightened.

I'm simply not rising to the bait, you've had enough attention already today. Bugger.

But what else can it be but a football club run as a business? Income from TV rights themselves are so huge that I just can't see how they could be entrusted to a fan-on-the-board type of democracy. As to whether PLC status gives more accountability, I'd rather measure it by the accountability of results - and Lowe et al took us from the Prem to League 1 and the Liebherrs took us from League 1 to the Prem.

Again you make a fair point and maybe it is the wider picture I should be criticising. But apologies, this is a Saints forum and I was trying to keep it on topic after yesterday, but I agree the malaise is not a local one.

Well put it this way, it wasn´t one of his better performances this season imo.

And that sub doesn´t change the basics of the game that it was more down to players performance rather than poor selections since we rotated very minimal.

Well put it this way, it wasn´t one of his better performances this season imo.

And that sub doesn´t change the basics of the game that it was more down to players performance rather than poor selections since we rotated very minimal.

What message did that substitution send out to the team and fans? It seems to be only you struggling with this.

What message did that substitution send out to the team and fans? It seems to be only you struggling with this.

Well fans are fickle and quite egoistic to only think of now now now, managers has to think in other ways and we still dont know anything about his physical status.

What the team thinks, well you tell me cause I haven´t seen or heard anything but that they think their own performance were well below par...?

Email is not quite "saying it to your face"......or are you going for Skype or summat?

Unbelievable. Wasn't like any league game I've seen. If you weakened your side by choice and refuse to do interviews you're sending out a very clear message to your team.

I have no doubt at all that players like Lambert, Lallana, Cork, JRod etc would love to get to a cup final, even a semi final. Lallana and Lambert in particular looked really frustrated throughout the game and it didn't help their form one bit.

The interviews annoy me more. Just treating a great competition like a reserve league.

There were 2 (TWO) players that could be considered as rested. (one if Boruc was ill as some reports have said).

Fonte and JRod not 100% fit. Cork = Wanyama.

If the players fell frustrated it was because they performed like sh*t, and that is what all of them has been saying in all interviews afterwards..

Look at the gates for our cup matches over the past few seasons at reduced prices from those charged for league game. Then look at the gates for league games over the same period at the higher prices. Now tell me what the fans priorities are using those statistics!

We are all upset we lost in the cup. The team put out should have been good enough to beat Sunderland. They didn't because too many of our regulars failed to reach the standards we have come to expect.

Don't blame the owner. She does not pick the team. Just a bad day in the office against a club our first team could not beat at home earlier in the season. It happens.

Good point re gates. But why did MP replace AL with a rookie with 10mins to go? That to me said it all Ron.

Well fans are fickle and quite egoistic to only think of now now now, managers has to think in other ways and we still dont know anything about his physical status.

What the team thinks, well you tell me cause I haven´t seen or heard anything but that they think their own performance were well below par...?

Like I said, just you struggling with it then.