Chambers, Targett, Reed and Gallagher named in England U19 squad

trousers

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/development/2014/feb/blake-names-u19s-squad-for-turkey

The Squad

Goalkeepers

Mitchell Beeney (Chelsea), Christian Walton (Brighton & Hove Albion).

Defenders

Calum Chambers (Southampton), Shay Facey (Manchester City), Ola Aina (Chelsea), Leo Chambers (West Ham United), Matt Targett (Southampton), Harrison Reed (Southampton), Isaac Hayden (Arsenal).

Midfielders

Alex Mowatt (Leeds United), John Swift (Chelsea), Lewis Baker (Chelsea), Jordon Ibe (Birmingham City, on loan from Liverpool), Callum Robinson (Aston Villa).

Forwards

Josh Murphy (Norwich City), Sam Gallagher (Southampton), James Wilson (Manchester United).

Good to see Gallagher following Targett's example and choosing England over Scotland.

Reed named as a defender though....?

Edited by trousers

You'd think Chambers would be disappointed by that wouldn't you, I mean that's no progression at all, U21s would surely have been his goal for this season, especially as they only have a game against Wales next week.

How many U21 RB's play almost every week in the Prem? Certainly bizarre that he's only in the U19's

How many U21 RB's play almost every week in the Prem? Certainly bizarre that he's only in the U19's

Especially as he's over 19 now although the age rules in football always refer to the start of the current season or competition.

Perhaps he's just there to aid others with his experience. We'll see who plays for the U21s.

Especially as he's over 19 now although the age rules in football always refer to the start of the current season or competition.

Perhaps he's just there to aid others with his experience. We'll see who plays for the U21s.

Born 20 Jan 1995 so 19 years of age. U21's next season I guess.

Lawro picked byram for the Euro 2016 finals this morning in the paper i was reading. He picked Luke Shaw for left back tho, He also said Wilshere will have a big fight to keep his place from JWP, cos JWP apparently is coming on leaps+bounds at the merment

I think sometimes we read too much into selections like this.

It's obviously easier to introduce Gallagher and Reed into the side if Calum is part of the squad, and I'm sure the coach know his ability already, but likewise he is only 19 and it may be the last chance for them to see some other U21 prospects before they get " too old ".

Once Reed and Gallagher " settle in " to the U19s.... I'd expect to see Chambers become a regular in the U21 set-up again.

You'd think Chambers would be disappointed by that wouldn't you, I mean that's no progression at all, U21s would surely have been his goal for this season, especially as they only have a game against Wales next week.

Not that the English FA have any real idea of how to progress a 'team' from original inception and onto the world stage, its one thing having a group of players with talent, another to fashion a team.

Personally I think that its better to gain experience as they grow, I.e keep the u19s and u21s as a unit until such a time as you need them in the full squad.

Not that the English FA have any real idea of how to progress a 'team' from original inception and onto the world stage, its one thing having a group of players with talent, another to fashion a team.

Personally I think that its better to gain experience as they grow, I.e keep the u19s and u21s as a unit until such a time as you need them in the full squad.

had he been in the 1st team at say, spurs or united (just a few places higher) he probably would be straight in

be interesting to see in flanegan gets a call up for England. he has been very good for the scousers

had he been in the 1st team at say, spurs or united (just a few places higher) he probably would be straight in

be interesting to see in flanegan gets a call up for England. he has been very good for the scousers

Straight in what ? The U21s ? Doubtful

Its about player integration as much as anything, which is why players are called up in groups. Despite the constant crap spouted by the masses players arent just called up because of the club thats just crap.

Its due to time constraints imposed on the ability to coach teams at Int level.

It works for many of the continental teams as most have 'developed' a team from schoolboy level up, keeping the majority of the side the same and instilling the importance of youth development at young ages and the importance of tournament experience. Unlike us who allow our players to pull out of the youth internationals too frequently.

Straight in what ? The U21s ? Doubtful

Its about player integration as much as anything, which is why players are called up in groups. Despite the constant crap spouted by the masses players arent just called up because of the club thats just crap.

Its due to time constraints imposed on the ability to coach teams at Int level.

It works for many of the continental teams as most have 'developed' a team from schoolboy level up, keeping the majority of the side the same and instilling the importance of youth development at young ages and the importance of tournament experience. Unlike us who allow our players to pull out of the youth internationals too frequently.

There doesn't appear to have been much thought about mass development in the past. Players seem to jump about the junior England levels a fair bit.

If this has changed though and Chambers is kept in the U19's for a deliberate reason then fair enough. Just seems odd that he is still playing with players who have not performed at anywhere near the level he has been.

That's why the likes of Matt Crocker and Dan Micciche have been brought in.

That's why the likes of Matt Crocker and Dan Micciche have been brought in.

I think/hope we will start to see changes now, thankfully the FA have started to address weaknesses in coaching and are attempting to influence academy football which is a good thing.

The emphesis like I said needs to be in creating a squad of transfereable players that are able to adequately step up into the full team if required, realistically you do that by growing a team from the youth levels and get them used to paying together and using the same tactics throughout the age groups.

Still think the sheer amount of games we play in England will have an effect aswell, unfortunately I get the impression that Int football is seen as a hinderance more than anything.

The reason Chambers is still in the u19's squad is that this is the final warm up game before the Euro Championship qualifiers and Chambers is captain of that team, so wouldn't make any sense to move your captain at this stage before a tournament. Had it been a meaningless friendly then I would have expected him to move up to the u21's IMO.