The World Cup players to watch thread

ozzmeister

With the squads announced, friendlies coming up and only circa 20days from the competition starting lets get our scouting hats on and look at who would improve our team in key positions.

I looked online for 'players to watch out for' and found the below link:

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/thescoutsnotebook/id/398?cc=5739

From these atsu, omerou and Bernerd look interesting (and hopefully realistic).

Any good players worth a punt in a few of the more unfashionable teams (Korea, United States etc).

With the squads announced, friendlies coming up and only circa 20days from the competition starting lets get our scouting hats on and look at who would improve our team in key positions.

I looked online for 'players to watch out for' and found the below link:

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/thescoutsnotebook/id/398?cc=5739

From these atsu, omerou and Bernerd look interesting (and hopefully realistic).

Any good players worth a punt in a few of the more unfashionable teams (Korea, United States etc).

Considering they picked Zaha as a player to watch when his limitation were obvious I'm not putting too much stock in them :)

I suppose the key thing to remember here is that although a player might have a good spell in a tournament, that doesn't necessarily reflect the impact he would have in the Premier League or in the Southampton squad. Take Mayuka, for example. I don't see it as coincidence that we purchased him off the back of his and Zambia's success in the 2012 African Cup of Nations. His age and position helped, sure, but would we have taken notice if it wasn't for that tournament? Unfortunately, his time at Saints has so far been negligible.

But, if I was to 'scout' out any players at the World Cup, it would be those in the left-back, striker and right wing position.

Only in the way they could also beat Italy or Uruguay. That's cup football. New Zealand went to a WC and drew 3 games, Japan and Korea are 10 times better than them. There aren't any games you can take for granted. Bet Costa Rica don't get 0 points, which will have major repercussions for our group.

Very true though I think it's more than the pot luck of the cup in the case of Japan - they've recently gone to Belgium, Holland, France and got results. To use a domestic analogy, they're closer to a lower mid prem side that's used to playing top prem sides week-in week-out than a good championship side hoping for a result in a one off game.

Edited by shurlock

Well I'm sure that I'll be subconciously watching those with one blue boot and one pink boot. Puma wearers I believe, i hope Adam has had the decency to reject that promotion for the time being. Then there are the Adidas black and white "trompe l'oeil" design...awful.

Edited by Window Cleaner