Poll. Can Saints replace our players this Summer?

SaintRobbie

Yes. Koeman will be able to sign players of equivalent talent to maintain our position and advance.

No. Koeman will have lost too many players to advance.

Maybe. It's too hard to call?

Osvaldo gone.

Lambert, Shaw, Lallana. Gone and each in their own way irreplaceable. (All to teams that could've been classed as rivals during last season).

Schneiderlain, Lovren likely to leave.

Ramirez, Wanyama interest, Jay Rod incapacitated and eventually to follow?

THE WHOLE CORE OF OUR TEAM APPEARS TO BE BEING ALLOWED TO LEAVE BY OUR BOARDROOM. LES REED IS FAILING TO RETAIN OUR PLAYERS.

Koeman's signing has also seemingly failed to keep our star players. It has not been enough to attract keep our players. Does Koeman seriously think he can replace these players? Is he really getting all the cash from Reed? We have also seen with high priced players that there is no certainty they will work.

It all beggars the simple question that Les Reed hailed when he appointed RoKo- can we advance after all? Grateful for the thoughts of the fans. Poll please Mods.

Yes. Koeman will be able to sign players of equivalent talent to maintain our position and advance.

Osvaldo gone.

Lambert, Shaw, Lallana. Gone and each in their own way irreplaceable. (All to teams that could've been classed as rivals during last season).

THE WHOLE CORE OF OUR TEAM APPEARS TO BE BEING ALLOWED TO LEAVE BY OUR BOARDROOM. LES REED IS FAILING TO RETAIN OUR PLAYERS.

Koeman's signing has also seemingly failed to keep our star players. It has not been enough to attract keep our players. Does Koeman seriously think he can replace these players? Is he really getting all the cash from Reed? We have also seen with high priced players that there is no certainty they will work.

It all beggars the simple question that Les Reed hailed when he appointed RoKo- can we advance after all? Grateful for the thoughts of the fans. Poll please Mods.

Thanks Saintrobbie I've feeling a bit depressed right now but that real made me:lol::lol::lol:

it seems to me we are having necessary surgery to remove players who were obviously only willing to accept a Cortese / Poch regime.

we have the same scouting network who got us Davis, Wanyama, Lovren, Clyne, Rodriguez, Boruc

What I don't understand is no team has ever looked to sell 3 quarters of their team like we are doing.

Turnover is very dangerous in the premier league and if indeed we are going to change our team it needs to be done gradually.

Somebody at the club (uncle les?) needs to say right we ve already sold 3 main players no more exits, Lovren you have only been here one season, you owe us another then you can leave next summer. Morgan you are 23 your whole career is ahead of you, if you really want to leave give us one more year and you can leave next summer too.

By doing this it minimizes the turnover and allows us to evolve our team gradually.

We always said last summer that we only needed to bring in 3-4 not to destroy the team's chemistry. That s what we did and it worked wonders.

We need to have the same stance if players want yes you can go but not all at once.

If we don t do that we'll hAve a team come first game of the season in august that barely knows each other, doesn t playas a team because it takes time to gel and we ll be struggling big time.

Hope uncle les is taking that into account.

I can't see how we can advance this season - for me we can replace Shaw, our strikers. Lallana, impossible to replace fast.

Losing Lovren and Spiderman and others... I can't see how Koeman can be expected to do more than stay in the league. He has no time left this summer to buy half a team and make them competitive through training.

Start a season badly and it's also hard to attract talent in January (& let's face it there's not as much on offer).

Les Reed must fight hard to retain Spider-Man and Lovren for at least one more season or just remain firm and say no. We don't need the cash for them, sometime he has to be firm. Players and agents will keep poking his skin until they reach steel.

All very negative and we have to get behind Koeman - we as our fans will have to get into survival mode early. Don't expect this season to be the last one. It's good old Saints again... Survival. Going to take a mindset change led by the Northam.

Still - by the time we start the season we will find some optimism from somewhere!

Perhaps we'll be in stripes?

What I don't understand is no team has ever looked to sell 3 quarters of their team like we are doing.

Turnover is very dangerous in the premier league and if indeed we are going to change our team it needs to be done gradually.

Somebody at the club (uncle les?) needs to say right we ve already sold 3 main players no more exits, Lovren you have only been here one season, you owe us another then you can leave next summer. Morgan you are 23 your whole career is ahead of you, if you really want to leave give us one more year and you can leave next summer too.

By doing this it minimizes the turnover and allows us to evolve our team gradually.

We always said last summer that we only needed to bring in 3-4 not to destroy the team's chemistry. That s what we did and it worked wonders.

We need to have the same stance if players want yes you can go but not all at once.

If we don t do that we'll hAve a team come first game of the season in august that barely knows each other, doesn t playas a team because it takes time to gel and we ll be struggling big time.

Good post

Money doesn't ensure we get good players commitment or a bonded team (just look at the Osvaldo experiment)

By losing our academy successes, and key players who rose from league 1 we are losing the heart of our team

I hope Koeman can put an alternative together that works however the risks we are taking are large!

This. Far better post than mine, but exactly what a poll like this is designed to articulate to our boardroom.

it seems to me we are having necessary surgery to remove players who were obviously only willing to accept a Cortese / Poch regime.

we have the same scouting network who got us Davis, Wanyama, Lovren, Clyne, Rodriguez, Boruc

Exactly this and something I've been banging on about for a while. The players were unfortunately sold an unrealistic dream so this situation was somewhat inevitable. My only hope is that we can attract a similar calibre of player without the need to seemingly promise them Champions League football within their first contract term.

I can't see how we can advance this season - for me we can replace Shaw, our strikers. Lallana, impossible to replace fast.

Losing Lovren and Spiderman and others... I can't see how Koeman can be expected to do more than stay in the league. He has no time left this summer to buy half a team and make them competitive through training.

Start a season badly and it's also hard to attract talent in January (& let's face it there's not as much on offer).

Les Reed must fight hard to retain Spider-Man and Lovren for at least one more season or just remain firm and say no. We don't need the cash for them, sometime he has to be firm. Players and agents will keep poking his skin until they reach steel.

All very negative and we have to get behind Koeman - we as our fans will have to get into survival mode early. Don't expect this season to be the last one. It's good old Saints again... Survival. Going to take a mindset change led by the Northam.

Still - by the time we start the season we will find some optimism from somewhere!

I agree it's very concerning losing this calibre of player, but my view is that the club has overachieved, as a consequence of these players. They cannot realistically earn 100k plus with us or realistically win medals so understandably when the big clubs come knocking they will be off - as would anyone else! I would add that if you believe we could become one of those clubs you are dreaming frankly. My final point is if this is a true firesale then we wont see signings that have been promised. I believe that RK is a manager who doesn't keep unhappy players and promotes young players quickly so expect further departures.....

I think what we are seeing is just a normal football occurrence, this is what will happen to 'un-fancied' and provincial clubs if they over achieve and have a cracking season. The players will gain interest and their heads will be turned, bids will arrive and best players will be poached.

Athletico Madrid won La Liga, yet they're being pulled apart as well. If you're not a Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG (part of the elite group etc etc) then you have to kind of admit defeat when those clubs come sniffing for your players, no matter how well you've done the previous season. You can reject the bids all you like, but all you'll be left with is a player sulking and stamping his feet because he will know full well what was on offer in terms of $$$.

It's the sad reality of the modern game. Clubs like ourselves can enjoy a season like last year once in a blue moon, because we will get stripped apart on the back of it. It does leave a sour taste, but that's how it works these days. But lets be honest, we've had 5 years of unprecedented success - it's been an epic ride, but now we've reached the top of that ride and clubs are seeing our young lads now performing at the highest level at a really high level.

The only way it could be any different is if we were owned by a zillionaire who was prepared to bankroll us, but we're not - so we have to accept this situation.

I think what we are seeing is just a normal football occurrence, this is what will happen to 'un-fancied' and provincial clubs if they over achieve and have a cracking season. The players will gain interest and their heads will be turned, bids will arrive and best players will be poached.

Athletico Madrid won La Liga, yet they're being pulled apart as well. If you're not a Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG (part of the elite group etc etc) then you have to kind of admit defeat when those clubs come sniffing for your players, no matter how well you've done the previous season. You can reject the bids all you like, but all you'll be left with is a player sulking and stamping his feet because he will know full well what was on offer in terms of $$$.

It's the sad reality of the modern game. Clubs like ourselves can enjoy a season like last year once in a blue moon, because we will get stripped apart on the back of it. It does leave a sour taste, but that's how it works these days. But lets be honest, we've had 5 years of unprecedented success - it's been an epic ride, but now we've reached the top of that ride and clubs are seeing our young lads now performing at the highest level at a really high level.

The only way it could be any different is if we were owned by a zillionaire who was prepared to bankroll us, but we're not - so we have to accept this situation.

Perspective.

No it's not nice to lose what we feel is the heart and soul of the team but if the players that have left hearts wasn't in it then we should not want or try to keep them here. As most on here I've been watching this team rise through the leagues to get where we ended up last season but anyone who thought we would keep this team together once the big guns come calling is frankly kidding themselves. No point in blaming the board or Les Reed there hands are tied and given that both LS and AL laid out there plans to the club at the end of the season (or even slightly before if some of the media stories are true) then it wouldn't matter who was manager or on the board their minds were made up. I can't blame them wanting to try their hands at a different level - surely we in the same position would have done the same. It's not always about the money they get paid its about testing yourself to see how far you can go in the profession you have chosen.

RK has a monumental re building job and only time will tell if that will be successfull but me for one is looking forward to seeing him attempt it and with good fortune achieve it.

One things for sure it's never dull following SFC.

Sums up the problem with this place, or just fans in general.

You're asking for an opinion without any of the information.

Can we replace them? Yes, it's possible. Will we? We don't know.

We'll see who is signed, make some judgements and predictions, then wait and see how it goes.

Personally I think fans just need to adjust expectations and get out of this one season thinking. We must 'improve on 8th'. Nonsense. What we must do is keep progressing as a club, which means staying in the Premier League for 10, 20 years or more. Not having a good season here, a relegation, coming back, changing everything all the time. Players come and go, but with those remaining and the funds available it would take an appalling job from Koeman and the board to get us relegated, so let's just get behind them. We can't afford to get complacent, anyone that watched 2005 can see how quickly a good squad turns into a relegated squad.

Good post Adrian

You keeping talking about advance - what would that have actually meant to you? What at the end of next season would have ticked that box? Genuinely want to know?

Osvaldo gone.

The board this, the board that, blah, blah, blah. The players want to leave. The way it works nowadays is that players want to leave, generally they do. **** happens. The world keeps turning. Your Mum has to keep on changing your sheets. The cycle continues.

Sums up the problem with this place, or just fans in general.

You're asking for an opinion without any of the information.

Can we replace them? Yes, it's possible. Will we? We don't know.

We'll see who is signed, make some judgements and predictions, then wait and see how it goes.

Personally I think fans just need to adjust expectations and get out of this one season thinking. We must 'improve on 8th'. Nonsense. What we must do is keep progressing as a club, which means staying in the Premier League for 10, 20 years or more. Not having a good season here, a relegation, coming back, changing everything all the time. Players come and go, but with those remaining and the funds available it would take an appalling job from Koeman and the board to get us relegated, so let's just get behind them. We can't afford to get complacent, anyone that watched 2005 can see how quickly a good squad turns into a relegated squad.

Well the club have been fueling expectations of improving on 8th and the prospect of European football.

excess of £55 million for 2 players who want to play elsewhere is very good business by the Saints ! Thanks for your service Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana.I hope Saints spend very wisely to improve the squad

Agree, but the point is when does the Club say 'no more sales?'

We don't need more money.

Well the club have been fueling expectations of improving on 8th and the prospect of European football.

last I remember Ralph (or maybe Les) said we still harboured ambitions of European football I don't think they put a time limit on it though. Maybe the club needs to take a step back before taking two steps forward we came a long way in five years at some point the upward trajectory the club has been on was going to slow down, or even go backwards a bit, doesn't mean that's the end but it does probably mean things will move slower than we've got used to the last few years.

last I remember Ralph (or maybe Les) said we still harboured ambitions of European football I don't think they put a time limit on it though. Maybe the club needs to take a step back before taking two steps forward we came a long way in five years at some point the upward trajectory the club has been on was going to slow down, or even go backwards a bit, doesn't mean that's the end but it does probably mean things will move slower than we've got used to the last few years.

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

Nothing like a Churchill quote to brighten up dark days. :)

Osvaldo gone.

And then I read it was SaintRobbie and everything became clear

No one seems to have mentioned that invisible glue that bonds a squad together, Team Spirit. With 3 gone and seemingly 2 others wanting to follow that will now be shot to pieces. How will Calum feel - probably now thinking if I have a good season I can move for £30M in a years time! Same for Jay Rod, Vic as well? New manager, new tactics, then new players, it takes time to build what we had, took 2-3 years of winning, it will not happen in 2 months and I fear for the first third of the season when on paper we should be taking advantage. Then we have November/ December…..God forbid. Yesterday was one of the worst days for the Club/Supporters since 2008.