Rickie Lambert... He plays for Liverpool don't you know?

Noodles34

Where have I said I am "fine with it"? What are you on about?

You basically just said it was irrelevant that there were people singing for both Lambert and Saints, you can't get why that might mean you're not bothered by it?

Where have I said I am "fine with it"? What are you on about?

You basically just said it was irrelevant that there were people singing for both Lambert and Saints, you can't get why that might mean you're not bothered by it?

I am a big fan of. SRL, and don't begrudge him a nice round of applause, even a round of "One Rickie Lambert...." Not that I would join in on that, a clap maybe but not a song. Unfortunately it seemed like most disagreed at Anfield today.

****ING cringeworthy, we were supposed to supporting our team and the biggest song was for an opposition player, ****ing ridiculous, ****ing pathetic and people should think about who they should be singing about.. Just way over the top, bunch of touristy muppets.

I must admit it's the sort of cringeworthy stunt poopey fans would pull. Imagine how Saints fans would mock then.

I am a big fan of. SRL, and don't begrudge him a nice round of applause, even a round of "One Rickie Lambert...." Not that I would join in on that, a clap maybe but not a song. Unfortunately it seemed like most disagreed at Anfield today.

****ING cringeworthy, we were supposed to supporting our team and the biggest song was for an opposition player, ****ing ridiculous, ****ing pathetic and people should think about who they should be singing about.. Just way over the top, bunch of touristy muppets.

I must admit it's the sort of cringeworthy stunt poopey fans would pull. Imagine how Saints fans would mock then.

I had no problem with showing Lambert appreciation - there weren't THAT many songs (though the 5 blokes behind me singing "Back For Good" at him was pretty funny) and it also served as a nice contrast with the treatment Lovren was getting. I don't think many Saints fans will be following him around the country, and none of us were actively willing him to score against us, though there was a feeling of impending doom about it. A brief chant of "they'll never love you like us" was amusing too.

One thing's for sure, having been to the match and watched it on tv when I got in, Sky had the mics turned down on the Saints fans in places. The ball even hit the boom in front of us on about 20 minutes, and on the coverage it was a dull, quiet thud, not the loud explosion of mic-tumbling activity you usually get.

Liverpool's support yesterday was even more pathetic than 2 years ago when I last went. Literally only sang YNWA before kick off, one minute from the end, and immediately after their goals. They had one guy in the block next to me chucked out for drinking beer in the stand - he had a Lovren shirt on, so that was popular. Another guy who was singing on his own got the appropriate response (but fair play to him, he kept going and made the other 5000 in that bit of the ground look bad even after the "on your own" chant).

Reliably informed from a mate that Fox Sports in Australia did a big build up to You'll Never Walk Alone and when OWTSGMI was drowning it out they switched the sound balance - whilst a Spurs fan I know in the US said we were booming out all match long on the NBC coverage over there.

I suppose we'll have to get used to this artificial atmosphere tampering by the media as a result of true supporters being priced out the game resulting in a noticeable loss of atmosphere. The lack of competition in terms of winning the league is also probably impacting on support from clubs outside the top 5.

They'll probably have to end up resorting to 'canned cheering' over the next ten years to attempt to boost the Premier League brand as lifelong supporter's attendances start to dwindle and their spaces are filled with tourists, corporate, and the 'prawn sandwich' brigade.

Liverpool are one of the 'big' revenue clubs for the Premier League and 'little' clubs like Saints (that don't have much of an impact on the saleability of the league) can't be seen to have better support than the top 5. It ruins the facade.

Agree with the OP, made us look like a bunch of star-struck, small town idiots.

I don't mind clapping him at the end but to sing the name of a player coming on with the sole purpose of scoring against us is just so sad.

Chant the name of our players you f*cktards.

Edited by aintforever

Also watched the NBC feed and we definately drowned out YNWA with OWTSGMI until the last chorus. Also irked me that the Commentator automatically assumed that everyone watching on NBC was a Liverpool fan (some comment about West coast fans drinking black coffee with their Red Scarves) - i suppose 95% of them were though.

Back to the topic. SRL is a legend but cheer him during warmups not during the game.

I thought the reception he got was slightly ott, but I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over it.

I think it was just a combination of factors that meant the majority , and it was the majority , got a bit carried away. First off , the man is a saints legend and it was our first chance to "thank " him and send him on his way. Secondly , I got the feeling that people wanted to show the difference between Rickie and Lovren , I maybe wrong but I certainly thought that contributed to it. The atmosphere in the away end was also pretty buoyant , a mixture of defiance , pride and a little bit of relief that maybe things will be ok this season. Certainly at the end there was a defiant OWTS, and a great reception for the team. All these factors meant that people got a bit carried away with the Lambert love in.

Perhaps the " one Rickie Lambert " whilst the game was on was a touch embarrassing , but none of my scouse mates mentioned it afterwards. Clapping when he came on and at the end, with a blast of " one Rickie Lambert" as he departed was probably the right tone, but at the end of the day I've heard and seen a lot more embarrassing stuff from our supporters than what happened Sunday.

We'll be the only ones singing it there this year.

Hate to say it as he is a legend, but we was gash when he came on for them. Hope he doesn't embarrass himself this year.

Who cares would clap him just the once but he is not a saint anymore rather use my energy getting behind our team

He chose to leave thanks Rickie. Goodbye

Also watched the NBC feed and we definately drowned out YNWA with OWTSGMI until the last chorus.

That at least was how I heard it in the ground. We ran out of song length before they did!

Having rewatched the whole match on Sky now, they seemed to turn the Saints mic back up in the second half when it was obvious we were the only ones singing, although I did hear a Lovren song from the Liverpool fans on tv that I couldn't hear in the stadium, the cheers and applause for him to try and drown out our booing came across a lot louder (but then we were in one corner and booing, so couldn't hear much else!) and there was a chorus of Fields of Anfield Rd which didn't even get to the end just after they scored too.

Who cares would clap him just the once but he is not a saint anymore rather use my energy getting behind our team

He chose to leave thanks Rickie. Goodbye

I somehow doubt Saints fans will bother singing songs for him for 18 of the remaining home matches, there may be some when Liverpool visit - but most likely by then he'll be completely off Rodgers' radar and we'll be abusing Lallana instead.