The new defence. Bast record in the Premiership so far.

ThaiSaint

I remember last season when we started really well and after a few games we got a lot of press coverage about conceding fewer goals than any other Premiership team (and all but one European teams). Since then we've had the mass exodus of many key players but we seem to have replaced those players very well. RK was a great defender and knows a thing or two about defending. Can we keep this up?

I remember last season when we started really well and after a few games we got a lot of press coverage about conceding fewer goals than any other Premiership team (and all but one European teams). Since then we've had the mass exodus of many key players but we seem to have replaced those players very well. RK was a great defender and knows a thing or two about defending. Can we keep this up?

Last season it all went to pot once injuries kicked in we have a stronger depth to our centeral defence (bar the keeper) this season so hopefully we can keep it up better than last season.

A big part of it is our diamond hard midfield which is, like last season, one of the best in the premier league. Schneiderlin, Cork and esp. Wanyama are wrecking machines, Davis is a quality midfield-attack linking player with a strong engine and Ward-Prowse is the free-kick taking, passing part of the unit. It's a great group of complementary players.

We've also got arguably a better keeper this season (although I still really rate Boruc) and we've exchanged our lost defenders with new ones that look potentially every bit as good so it's all looking rosey at the moment.

Infact when I look around the premier league and compare what I see to Saints at the moment I'd say Chelsea are head and shoulders better than us, City are better than us, Arsenal are probably better than us (but there's not too much in it) and then I fear no-one.

If the players get the bit between their teeth, believe in themselves and we get a break from injuries then who knows where we could finish this season.

A big part of it is our diamond hard midfield which is, like last season, one of the best in the premier league. Schneiderlin, Cork and esp. Wanyama are wrecking machines, Davis is a quality midfield-attack linking player with a strong engine and Ward-Prowse is the free-kick taking, passing part of the unit. It's a great group of complementary players.

We've also got arguably a better keeper this season (although I still really rate Boruc) and we've exchanged our lost defenders with new ones that look potentially every bit as good so it's all looking rosey at the moment.

Infact when I look around the premier league and compare what I see to Saints at the moment I'd say Chelsea are head and shoulders better than us, City are better than us, Arsenal are probably better than us (but there's not too much in it) and then I fear no-one.

If the players get the bit between their teeth, believe in themselves and we get a break from injuries then who knows where we could finish this season.

Let's not get too carried away here. But yes the defence is looking very impressive, especially with the depth. Fonte surely deserves a cap for Portugal. He's matured like a fine wine.

yes looks good . Only conceded once in four League games.. but Tuesday night will be a good test...

I know it's VERY early days, but looking at tonight's table ....I asked myself .....Where are last season's top 10 clubs just now?.

It may only last for a few weeks, but it's fun looking at the table....over ...and.... over again.

You're getting massively carried away. Do you really think Arsenal are only "probably" better than us?

You're getting massively carried away. Do you really think Arsenal are only "probably" better than us?

I know, it's good fun isn't it. If you can't get a bit excited when you're 2nd when can you?

I stand by what I posted, I think it's closer that it's been for a long time and other than Chelsea, City and yes, Arsenal I think it's up for grabs.

Liverpool are not convincing me - I'm not even sure if they can get top 5, Utd will get it together and when they do I think they'll be formidable but at the moment are very hit and miss, Spurs don't impress me at the moment and Everton will be there or thereabouts but are a team we can compete with.

I'm off to the Emirates on Tuesday so I'll see for myself how we match up at the moment. This could be a interesting season.

Same as last season,if we have half the 1st team injured at the same time we're gonna struggle.However if we keep everyone pretty much fit then who knows ,no reason we can't maintain our form.If come January we are in danger of cracking the top four i'm sure the the big boys will see that we are put in our place by unsettling and trying to dismantle our team again.

Same as last season,if we have half the 1st team injured at the same time we're gonna struggle.However if we keep everyone pretty much fit then who knows ,no reason we can't maintain our form.If come January we are in danger of cracking the top four i'm sure the the big boys will see that we are put in our place by unsettling and trying to dismantle our team again.

Totally different ball game this season compared to last, the squad is both bigger and stronger in depth in all the key positions bar the keeper.

as a postscript to this thread, and after today's games at Leicester (Man.Utd) Everton and Tottenham, I really feel elated..in fact ...I haven't had so much fun for ages.

I suppose some people are shocked and think we should feel sorry for them, but I don't . :smug: Having spent all that money ..it's just ridiculously funny.

AT LAST, along with Liverpool, they have been reduced to being " very ordinary " mid-table Prem. sides...:lol::lol::lol:

Defensively (DM + defenders + GK taken together) we're as good as anyone in the league, IMHO. Attacking-wise we are mediocre at best, with 5 or 6 teams miles ahead of us.

And if Forster gets injured or suspended .... :scared:

In reality how many teams have two top class keepers on their books though (I'm betting not many)? Most teams in the PL (or any league) willl struggle if they lose to many first choice players to injury we are no different.

In reality how many teams have two top class keepers on their books though (I'm betting not many)? Most teams in the PL (or any league) willl struggle if they lose to many first choice players to injury we are no different.
But most people aren't saying our back-up keeper has to be "top class", just better than the standard of Kelvin Davis. It's a fair enough criticism and one thing we got a little bit wrong this summer.

But most people aren't saying our back-up keeper has to be "top class", just better than the standard of Kelvin Davis. It's a fair enough criticism and one thing we got a little bit wrong this summer.

Again most keepers better than KD probably don't want to spend they're time as number 2 at a club like saints. Keepers happy to be a number 2 , and lets face as soon as we signed Fraser Forster it was obvious he'd be number 1 GK this season, are either youngsters or players running down their careers.............just like KD. Boruc threw his toys out of the pram because he doesn't want to be a number 2 any keeper as good as Boruc is likely to feel the same I really don't think it's as easy as people make out to have a decent back up keeper unless your a club like Man city or Chelsea.

Again most keepers better than KD probably don't want to spend they're time as number 2 at a club like saints. Keepers happy to be a number 2 , and lets face as soon as we signed Fraser Forster it was obvious he'd be number 1 GK this season, are either youngsters or players running down their careers.............just like KD. Boruc threw his toys out of the pram because he doesn't want to be a number 2 any keeper as good as Boruc is likely to feel the same I really don't think it's as easy as people make out to have a decent back up keeper unless your a club like Man city or Chelsea.
Who is making out it is easy? It is the toughest position to recruit for. I still believe we could get better than Kelvin Davis. The big disappointment is Gazzaniga though, in theory he should have been an ideal fit for the role.