• Wanyama
    • Schneiderlin
    • Davis, S
    • Tadic
    • Long
    • Pelle
    • Mane
    • Cork

I laughed myself stupid at Begovic's goal last year.

There were a few around me chuckling at that too. The Boruc balls up at Arsenal had me in stitches. I've found people get quite cross about it, one bloke at St Mary's had a pop at me for laughing at Kelvin Davis gifting QPR (I think, he did so many back then) a goal in out first Championship spell.

And we danced all night to the best goal ever.

We knew every line. Now I can't remember

How it goes but I know that I won't forget it

'Cause we danced all night to the best goal ever.

I think it went oh, oh, oh

I think it went yeah, yeah, yeah

I think it goes oh

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but Steve Bruce......how refreshing it is to hear his interviews (hence why I like him so much). He doesn't do what most managers do when they lose and say, "I thought that we were the better team in the first half and deserved something from the game". So refreshing to be as unbiased as he possibly can in his interviews.

Yes - I really do agree. Steve Bruce comes over as knowledgeable and honest - impressive.

Just back from my first away game of the season and some observations

Firstly that is a bloody long way to go for a there and back away game, 9 hours in the car! But it was worth it because I saw a “man against boys” performance. Hull puffed and put pressure on but the defence was magnificent and Forster did not have to make a save of note. Some have said it was a “dirty” victory but that is not quite accurate as we played plenty of good football and quite frankly should have won by more than one goal (the one criticism I have at the moment is we are too wasteful in front of goal). But considering we had a tough away game in midweek and they did not today's win really was truly praiseworthy.

Wanyama was awesome this afternoon, his low centre of gravity coupled with his physique makes him the perfect defensive rock/pivot and Schneiderlin just uses him like a wall to play one/twos off. Davis is now integral to our midfield, he was so industrious today but tellingly his industry never went to waste. If only he could finish. Pelle must be getting knackered and I am concerned we have no back up (like for like) for him at present especially as he is only one booking away from suspension. Gallagher is injured but for reasons unknown the club don’t want to tell us how seriously.

Hodgson was there today but gawd knows who he was watching, after his shocking decision to promote Chambers from the U21s over Clyne for the recent 2 England games I have lost all faith and respect for him. He has done us no favours in recent months and we can do without his patronage.

A final word on the Hull fans, what a nice bunch of people they were, so complimentary about us and the game was played in a pleasant atmosphere with our away support yet again mightily impressive. On the way home tonight on the car radio I heard Jose Mourinhio praising the “fantastic remarkable Southampton” which was music to my ears. If our squad was deeper I would be starting to believe in our chances of a top four place (mad I know) but I fear the winter, heavier pitches and a few injuries to key players such as Pelle. But 10 wins out of 11 games is frankly unbelievable and Koeman - calmness personified - deserves a massive pat on the back, I far prefer him to MP as he seems so much more grounded. Oh and a final word, surely to God Jack Cork’s contract situation should be sorted sooner rather than later? I would hate to lose him next close season.

Duncan

Have to agree with all you say here

It look us over 6 hours to make the journey up

Met a couple of Doncaster based saints fans at the Park & Ride and the fans both before and after the game were very friendly and complementary.

We were in the corporate area where James Beattie (looking very fit and dapper) provided interesting insights before/after the game.

Saints fans were in excellent voice and our away support seems to be much more vocal these days.

Like you I have often suffered from poor performances/heavy defeats at away grounds but this was a relatively easy win in which we never really got out of third gear.

We really should have won by more and the miss by Mane (in particular) and the two and bit chances wasted by Long and those by Pelle and Steven Davis may have cost us on another day.

After the game we bumped into Roy Hodgson who, I have to say, was very tolerant with the many fans who surrounded him for photos and autographs

We also had a chat with the Hull Chairman who was prepared to spend some time discussing the game (mainly he was pointing out the players missing from their squad) before driving off in his massive Roller

All in all a great weekend to be a Saints fan

That's great to see and shows excellent team spirit. During highlights I often watch the reactions of players when their team get a goal and it continually surprises me that a lot of them never celebrate or congratulate the scorer.

So what's wrong with Forster, no team spirit. We need to know. :)

There were a few around me chuckling at that too. The Boruc balls up at Arsenal had me in stitches. I've found people get quite cross about it, one bloke at St Mary's had a pop at me for laughing at Kelvin Davis gifting QPR (I think, he did so many back then) a goal in out first Championship spell.

I seem to remember in our last/penultimate game of Pardew's season we had Carlisle at home and Harte scored an absolute belter of a free kick. Every bit as good as the ones he used to score for Leeds when the big debate was him or Beckham.

The game was completely meaningless and when that went in everyone around me just looked at each other and said, "fair enough, you can't really argue with that." There were a few people clapping too.

I was at Stoke last year too and had a chuckle at Begovic's goal.

I seem to remember in our last/penultimate game of Pardew's season we had Carlisle at home and Harte scored an absolute belter of a free kick. Every bit as good as the ones he used to score for Leeds when the big debate was him or Beckham.

Probably the best free kick I've seen in the flesh. Up, over the wall and bent it into the far corner somehow.