• Wanyama
    • Schneiderlin
    • Davis, S
    • Tadic
    • Long
    • Pelle
    • Mane
    • Cork

Bruce was very clever tactically and nullified our attacking strength (Pelle and Tadic), but unlike previous years we adapted and managed a hard fought win - probably a better professional result than against Funderland ?

Agree entirely - they put two or three on Tadic and Pelle all the time. Expect more of the same in next few games. Davis will have to up his scoring/shooting and the rest of midfield need to up their games also. Victor won loads of balls. as did Schneiderlin, but think Morgan looked a bit off pace - needs a rest. Nevertheless, midfield negated most attempts.

COYS

Truly incredible performance by our defense. Not just the back four. Morgan and Big Vic absolutely immense. Toby's best game for us yet. We're starting to see what he can do. Fonte inspirational. Clyne, despite the most intense pressure, was superb. Never let us down. Hull were impressive... in the same way that we were impressive last year. Endless energy, closing down, some promising midfield moves ...but ultimately failed to pose that much real risk. I get more certain week by week that this is a team for the ages. We could easily have won it 3-0. To be able to grind it out at 1-0 is a really, really good sign.

I mean compare and contrast with Chelsea today. They were at HOME to a relegation side ...and were lucky to scrape through.

A fantastic, hard-fought, professional, thrilling win.

I vote for this assessment

Incredible. I keep waiting for the bubble to burst and it just isn't. Five points clear of third, wow. And ANOTHER clean sheet. Toby MOTM. Can't stop staring at the table. :D

I agree, mostly. Toby, my namesake, was really good. I will vote Vic as motm, however

Just on the train home. A great win against very tough opposition. Hull played well and never gave up.they've some good players but weren't clinical on front of goal.

Good! because neither were Saints. First goal came from a sloppy kick by their goalie. Big Vic ( who was immense today) simply dinked it into the empty net... from 35 yards. ... with 3 hull players on him... class.

Hull threw the kitchen sink at Saints for about 20 mins and even Clyne was being roasted by overlapping players.

2nd half Saints took control as Koeman moved Davis across to protect Clyne and our subs made an impact.

Towards the end Davis Pelle and Mane all missed sitters from close range. Hull were left taking long shots and frankly our defence weren't troubled towards the end.

You could tell from the players reactions that they knew this was a top performance.

These wins are obviously brilliant but they also mean that draws will do against the top three. As long as they are kept below us happy days.

Toby and Morgan were just brilliant today. Big test for the board to keep them beyond the summer.

Best start saving for some euro travels

Edited by macca155

superb battling away win! back 5 was immense today. many were doubting toby but today he really stepped up and snuffed out almost every hull attack (much like lovren last season) today we weren't really good attacking wise but we showed what a good side we are by grinding out the win even when we're not at our best. for this reason, I'm starting to let myself believe that top 6 is actually possible. i cant reiterate the amount of praise i have for the team, RK, the back room staff, the scouts, the fans, the entire club as a whole really. I love the vibe we have here, we are southampton and we march on!

Great to grind out another win. Hull had plenty of the ball but didn't really trouble us and Forster had virtually nothing to do. On another day we'd have scored 2 or 3 and it would have seemed a lot more comfortable.

Just looking at the table - we have 22 points, while Burnley have 4. What are the chances we already have more points than they will finish the season with?

I managed to flick on the match thread and saw lots of posts saying we looked tired. I fully expected to see us lose due to the fatigue factor mentioned but pleased to see that our team who played midweek beat the fresher home side. Well done Saints

I thought Wanyama was absolutely outstanding today. Even if you take his goal away he was amazing, his goal was just the icing on the cake. Top performance, that's why we've got him. When we play him, especially away from home it's almost like having an extra CB on the field as well as a midfielder. Clyne was quality today too but Victor was the best player on the pitch by a mile

Another 3 points and yet another clean sheet - what a fantastic time it is to be a Saints supporter.

No team can go on a run like this without first fielding a well organised and robust defence. Well done to all of them, but especially to our captain Jose Fonte and his partner in crime Toby Unpronounceable - two players who may just have formed one of the best defensive partnerships in the Premier League.

Just on the train home. A great win against very tough opposition. Hull played well and never gave up.they've some good players but weren't clinical on front of goal.

Good! because neither were Saints. First goal came from a sloppy kick by their goalie. Big Vic ( who was immense today) simply dinked it into the empty net... from 35 yards. ... with 3 hull players on him... class.

Hull threw the kitchen sink at Saints for about 20 mins and even Clyne was being roasted by overlapping players.

2nd half Saints took control as Koeman moved Davis across to protect Clyne and our subs made an impact.

Towards the end Davis Pelle and Mane all missed sitters from close range. Hull were left taking long shots and frankly our defence weren't troubled towards the end.

You could tell from the players reactions that they knew this was a top performance.

These wins are obviously brilliant but they also mean that draws will do against the top three. As long as they are kept below us happy days.

Toby and Morgan were just brilliant today. Big test for the board to keep them beyond the summer.

Best start saving for some euro travels

Clyne was really overwhelmed to begin with against their big LM guy, but he really recovered after 20 mins, letting him win the high ball and nicking it off him when it was on the floor. That Hull LM was really impressive, but we somehow managed to keep him in check, despite Clyne being half his size!

Another 3 points and yet another clean sheet - what a fantastic time it is to be a Saints supporter.

No team can go on a run like this without first fielding a well organised and robust defence. Well done to all of them, but especially to our captain Jose Fonte and his partner in crime Toby Unpronounceable - two players who may just have formed one of the best defensive partnerships in the Premier League.

Toby's positional sense is quite simply astonishing. He's there before the ball is even played half the time.

Top, top level CB. Can see why he was at A.Madrid.

_78690143_@tobyalderweireld.png
it is brilliant how a new mix of players have built such a strong bond. Something I thought couldn't happen. I don't think this has happened anywhere before in the English leagues. To lose so many and get so many in and them to gel immediately

it is brilliant how a new mix of players have built such a strong bond. Something I thought couldn't happen. I don't think this has happened anywhere before in the English leagues. To lose so many and get so many in and them to gel immediately

It happens when the recruitment dept. spent a little bit of TLC researching players personalities, rather than just their ability. We'll always sign good lads, who will integrate with our current good lads.

Toby's positional sense is quite simply astonishing. He's there before the ball is even played half the time.

Top, top level CB. Can see why he was at A.Madrid.

Yes Toby is a great player and when he didn't start in midweek I note we conceded twice - which is very 'unsaintlike' this season. With Lovren and now Toby we've kind of made finding great defenders for reasonable transfer fees look so bloody easy you wonder why the rest of the Premier League have such trouble.

Of course like many things that look straight forward on the surface, this is probably anything but easy in practice.

I went for Fonte for my MOTM, dominating performance. Though it could just have easily gone to Big Vic, Toby or Clyne.

Lots of defending to do but done very well. Sloppy at times going forward but didn't concede many chances of note. Mane should've killed it off and Pelle had a quiet afternoon, was a bit isolated at times but fought well. I'm so glad we've got a week til the next game, we've worked so hard this week to wrap up the 3 wins. Top stuff!

Edited by Jack

Just back from the Game. My sons first Premier league game so chuffed he saw a positive result.

A sign of a good team is a result like that, Hull were a tough nut but we gave them few chances even with a poor first half performance, the longer the game went on the better we looked and it could have been 3 but for better finishing from Mane and Pelle. Overall you have got to take that and I hope Forster Clyne and Bertrand get recognition in front of the watching Hodgson because that defence was rock solid. Not sure what went off outside after, police looked very unhappy and really thought it was going to go off big time until they shut the gate.

21 points last season- and then we lost our next three in a row to Arsenal, Chelsea and Aston Villa. Really hope that doesn't happen again this season.

only 19 Points after 10 games last season win 5 draw 4 lose 1 GF11 GA4 (interesting better than this seasons 5)

However we only got 8 more in thr next ten games leaving us with 27 pts after 20 games as we entered 2014

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

It's a little disrespectful that the BBC headline is that Chelsea are 9 points clear of their title rivals (Man City)!

It's difficult to argue with the logic of this in view of the vastly superior resources of both these teams but it is still factually incorrect at the moment.

I am not under any illusions that we will probably fall away from this position when injuries and suspensions kick in but at least let us dream. It's what football fans do.

It's a little disrespectful that the BBC headline is that Chelsea are 9 points clear of their title rivals (Man City)!

It's difficult to argue with the logic of this in view of the vastly superior resources of both these teams but it is still factually incorrect at the moment.

I am not under any illusions that we will probably fall away from this position when injuries and suspensions kick in but at least let us dream. It's what football fans do.

BBC like every other online sports whore are click bait *****es, we play the league not the media.

They looked tired so they managed the game well to prevent being overly exposed. The speed of attacks and decision making, was lacking a the game went on, but they were solid in defense. Tradic had a quiet game but they gave him no room.unfortunately the rest of the team didn't have thee legs to exploit this but it did not master in the end w might have struggled if w hadn't got that early goal, but when they did they controlled it well. Some times this is how you have to play, so looking forward to the next game.

Defensive masterclass

Yes it was. Not just the back four (who were magnificent), but the midfield too. And, when Cork came on for Tadic (thankfully not for big Vic), Hull were not going to score in a month of Sundays. It reminded me of how we closed out the game at Anfield last season.