Ger Rickie back on loan this january

Giordano

Yeah, what we need is a clone of Pelle on the bench, nothing else will do.

How the hell City won the title last season with Aguero, Negredo, Dzeko and Jovetic must go down as the biggest stroke of luck ever.

They pair up as 2 target men in Dzeko and Negredo, and 2 trickier dribbling players in Aguero and Jovetic. So basically you've just shown that we need another "target" type like Pelle to give us the same variety 4 up top as Mane and Long are our dribblers. We have Gallagher, but he's injured and a bit unproven.

The point is we already have a "Plan B", it involves completely changing the way we play. If we want to retain the way we play, we need a Pelle-style player. If we're fine playing in different ways then we can sign a different kind of player. Koeman not having dropped Pelle for any match so far tells me he knows what system works best.

Edited by The9

They pair up as 2 target men in Dzeko and Negredo, and 2 trickier dribbling players in Aguero and Jovetic. So basically you've just shown that we need another "target" type like Pelle to give us the same variety 4 up top as Mane and Long are our dribblers. We have Gallagher, but he's injured and a bit unproven.

The point is we already have a "Plan B", it involves completely changing the way we play. If we want to retain the way we play, we need a Pelle-style player. If we're fine playing in different ways then we can sign a different kind of player. Koeman not having dropped Pelle for any match so far tells me he knows what system works best.

City generally pair 2 upfront when at home, but Aguero leads the line on his own in away matches or big home matches against the likes of Bayern.

The reason Pelle hasn't been dropped is a combination of him being in fine form and injuries. It will be really interesting to see where Koeman plays J-Rod when he returns.

City generally pair 2 upfront when at home, but Aguero leads the line on his own in away matches or big home matches against the likes of Bayern.

The reason Pelle hasn't been dropped is a combination of him being in fine form and injuries. It will be really interesting to see where Koeman plays J-Rod when he returns.

I'm talking about the squad and the player "role" pairing, not strike partnerships.

There's never been any suggestion that we would play with Long and/or Mane up top all season, including the League Cup which would be the perfect time to try it out.

Bit of a stretch to say Gallagher's injury has stopped him starting instead of Pelle (except maybe in the last League Cup game) and Rodriguez is a red herring until he actually makes a squad - do you see us starting with all 3 of Long/Mane/Rodriguez but neither Pelle or Tadic, because I don't?

I'm talking about the squad and the player "role" pairing, not strike partnerships.

There's never been any suggestion that we would play with Long and/or Mane up top all season, including the League Cup which would be the perfect time to try it out.

Bit of a stretch to say Gallagher's injury has stopped him starting instead of Pelle (except maybe in the last League Cup game) and Rodriguez is a red herring until he actually makes a squad - do you see us starting with all 3 of Long/Mane/Rodriguez but neither Pelle or Tadic, because I don't?

With a fit Davis or JWP in the side it will almost certainly be 2 from Tadic / Mane / Long. Assuming all are available for selection it will come down to the oppos defence and where we think we could get the best from Tadic and who is in the best form between Long and Mane. That leaves one up top, so far we've been lucky with both Pelle's form and no injury concerns (wood touched). Pelle will incur a suspension soon, more than likely before J-Rod is ready to return and that makes for an interesting selection for Koeman to make.

My original point about not having a back up / like for like replacement for Pelle is because I don't think our squad can afford it. It's unfortunate that both possible replacements, granted both at different levels of skill and experience, are injured.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes.

We knew we needed another striker before our poor form. Lambert wasn't the answer then and he isn't now. There are better strikers out there, Lambert is slowing and not getting any younger.

Would you have kept Lambert for not signing Shane Long? I 100000% would have.