Ger Rickie back on loan this january

Giordano

• 2 weeks later...

From the Liverpool forum

http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/366830-Lambert-back-to-Southampton-in-Jan-window

I did like this post

If so lets loan Can, Lambert, Markovic and Balotelli and swap loan with them for Wanyama, Tadic, Scneiderlein and Pelle.

Deal

Actually and Johnson for Clyne.

Wait ...

Southampton have better players than Liverpool FC

Jesus of Nazereth

Yesterday's BBC Gossip page had this gem of an idea. I wonder where they could have got it from?! :lol: If you have ipad, you can view yesterday's Gossip, but I can't from my laptop at work.

As said above, coming back here on loan he would be deputy to Pelle now. Maybe get the final 10 mins if we are 3 up, but I don't see it as a viable option for him.

He was bought by Liverpool on a sentimental basis. Getting him back would be another move heavily influenced by sentiment. It would be nice if everybody could (granted, most of us can already) separate Rickie Lambert the Fairytale from Rickie Lambert the Footballer.

Said it before. I'd love to have him back as he'd be great back up to Pelle while JRod is still injured, but why the hell would he swap Liverpools bench for ours?

Going back isn't always bad. Robbie Fowler went back to Liverpool.

Even if Rickie didn't play, he'd be a positive influence. Like Kelvin is.

Anyway, won't happen. We've moved onwards and upwards.

Can't see why there's any discussion about him returning really, he went to Scouse knowing full well that he wouldn't be first choice front man, he's not, he's assuming the role he went there to perform so why exactly he'd want to leave stumps me. They'll probably actually qualify for the knock out stages of the CL so doubt that he'll go anywhere at any time soon. Liverpool know what they need to do to correct their freefall and it doesn't involve loaning out Lambert.

That's really insulting. He was the Premier League's second best assister after Suarez last season and scored plenty. Sentiment?

He was bought by Liverpool stupidly assuming he was just a plan B target man, then they lost Suarez, panicked and bought names over quality. They insulted his ability a lot, now you've done it too.

Hopefully he will move somewhere he can play every week, he's still an excellent footballer. Would suit Newcastle with Pardew there and needing a cheapish good striker. But any relegation fighting club would love him.

This^

Lambert is still a decent PL footballer, his goal yesterday was very good, but the guy needs to play every week at his age. He would be an asset for a lot of smaller PL clubs . He isn't coming back here, we've moved on, and being a bit part player for Liverpool is doing him no favours but he hasn't turned into a **** player all of a sudden.

From the Liverpool forum

http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/366830-Lambert-back-to-Southampton-in-Jan-window

I did like this post

If so lets loan Can, Lambert, Markovic and Balotelli and swap loan with them for Wanyama, Tadic, Scneiderlein and Pelle.

Deal

Actually and Johnson for Clyne.

Wait ...

Southampton have better players than Liverpool FC

Jesus of Nazereth

Very good but not extensive enough, they should also consider Forster, Bertrand and Long.

I was staying in the same hotel as Liverpool on Saturday, I was hanging from a superb wedding reception. Whilst sharing a lift back to the rooms with a yoghurt based drink sipping Mignolet it took all my effort not to suggest he shouldn't spill said drink in the lift.

By the time they correct their freefall Lambert will be 36 and retired!

You mean that Gerrard will still be first choice CM when he's nigh on 40? It's all they need to do, put the knob out to pasture and replace him with someone who can actually perform the role he's supposed to be playing and let someone else blast the free kicks over the bar for a while. Gerrard is finished, he's their biggest problem.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I agree that its all very unlikely but not entirely out of the question. Especially if Rogers gets fired and a new guy comes in wanting some of his own players up front. Especially if Rickie wants to get picked for England ever again (he wont be in the next squad if he only plays 10 by 12minute cameos as is most likely is my view)

The comments along the lines of " why would he leave liverpool's bench to join southamptons bench" are an interesting point. Fact is that Liverpool never played with a Rickie type player last season and (probably) only recruited him as a Plan B impact alternative substitute ~ not as a starting player albeit his great record last year goalscoring and assists. They then bought another different type of player as a starter (in Balotelli) so when on the rare occasions Rickie does get on the Plan B is just to hoof it to him and see what happens. Apart from if its AL who plays him the proper type of ball like yesterday for his goal. At Southampton he would still be a sub - but if he replaced Pelle then the system stays exactly the same and we don't change the way we play for him at all. Our current system seems very effective and Rickie would be seamless in covering for injury suspension or simply just to give Pelle a rest not only because he just needs to play his natural game - but also because the majority of the team/squad already know how to play with Rickie.

Put another way- Pelle has started every match when fit and apart from FF is the only guy we do not have an almost equally as good like for like replacement ready and waiting in the squad. Sure Shane Long, Mayuka and Sado Mane when hes not in the AC could do a turn as CF and Jrod if and when he gets back to match fitness ~ but none of them can do what Pelle does with his presence as focal point for attack -but Rickie could. We are one serious injury away from a bit of a problem that could derail us like Boruc's injury derailed us last year...And if Rickie was, God forbid, needed because of a serious injury to Pelle- well we know he would not let Saints down and we would not need change the style which has been so successful for us so far - or ask players to change there way of playing.

Its not going to happen but a better experienced like for like does not exist. Kane is obviously regarded as next in that mould but Rickie would be better short term- for playing and squad morale reasons.

Rickie will be dropped when Balotelli is fit. And return to playing 10-15 a week if he is lucky- or less. At Saints he would play at least that if not more.

I agree that its all very unlikely but not entirely out of the question. Especially if Rogers gets fired and a new guy comes in wanting some of his own players up front. Especially if Rickie wants to get picked for England ever again (he wont be in the next squad if he only plays 10 by 12minute cameos as is most likely is my view)

The comments along the lines of " why would he leave liverpool's bench to join southamptons bench" are an interesting point. Fact is that Liverpool never played with a Rickie type player last season and (probably) only recruited him as a Plan B impact alternative substitute ~ not as a starting player albeit his great record last year goalscoring and assists. They then bought another different type of player as a starter (in Balotelli) so when on the rare occasions Rickie does get on the Plan B is just to hoof it to him and see what happens. Apart from if its AL who plays him the proper type of ball like yesterday for his goal. At Southampton he would still be a sub - but if he replaced Pelle then the system stays exactly the same and we don't change the way we play for him at all. Our current system seems very effective and Rickie would be seamless in covering for injury suspension or simply just to give Pelle a rest not only because he just needs to play his natural game - but also because the majority of the team/squad already know how to play with Rickie.

Put another way- Pelle has started every match when fit and apart from FF is the only guy we do not have an almost equally as good like for like replacement ready and waiting in the squad. Sure Shane Long, Mayuka and Sado Mane when hes not in the AC could do a turn as CF and Jrod if and when he gets back to match fitness ~ but none of them can do what Pelle does with his presence as focal point for attack -but Rickie could. We are one serious injury away from a bit of a problem that could derail us like Boruc's injury derailed us last year...And if Rickie was, God forbid, needed because of a serious injury to Pelle- well we know he would not let Saints down and we would not need change the style which has been so successful for us so far - or ask players to change there way of playing.

Its not going to happen but a better experienced like for like does not exist. Kane is obviously regarded as next in that mould but Rickie would be better short term- for playing and squad morale reasons.

Rickie will be dropped when Balotelli is fit. And return to playing 10-15 a week if he is lucky- or less. At Saints he would play at least that if not more.

Excellent post, agree with all points.

What does stick out though is that our season was de-railed and yet we finished 8th.... that is some improvement trajectory in 5 years :)

Some perspective is never a bad thing.

I was sad to see him go, and for a cheap price really ****ed me off. That said so far his move has gone totally tits up which has come as a bit of a surprise.

some pretty disrespectful comments on a club legend. I would have him back on loan, absolutely. However he would have to play back up to pelle who has been outstanding since his 1st couple of stinkers.

No other player over 31 has been transferred for that much. That he would sit on the bench was obvious, they signed him when Suarez was still there and replaced Suarez with Balotelli. He was only ever going to play in European weeks when Rodgers' proper strikers were being rested.

I still don't see why we would want Lambert back, rather than signing another Pelle which gives us years more of service and a more mobile player. There are hundreds of strikers who would provide more of an upside than Lambert would at this point, and it's not like it would be significantly easier to get Lambert back than it would to sign someone else, we don't have a recall clause or anything, it was a sale, at a decent profit, especially given his age and performances.

The problem of not having enough cover is not about getting one particular person back, at the moment it's about not having anyone else who can perform that role whilst Gallagher is injured, and in the long term is about getting the most potentially valuable player in, including consideration of wages, potential development and sell-on.

I will say that at 1-1 last night, standing it up to the lumbering big man at the back stick wouldn't have been the worst option. But what about the other 20-odd matches, playing 3 times in a week in the next few weeks, etc? Totally unsuitable for that kind of schedule if he was needed to start them all.

I tell you what I wish we'd had Lambert as an option off the bench last night.

Lambert isn't coming back but last night showed we need an option for Pelle, who was frankly poor last night (mind you his service was pretty crap to), to cover injuries or a drop in form.

We didn't need last night to know that. It's been patently obvious since Gallagher got injured that we don't have any direct replacement, I've been b1tching about our lack of depth for months when most others have been saying how much stronger we are than last season, etc. Tiredness has crept up on the whole squad and it really showed last night... good job we're not playing 3 top sides in the next couple of weeks, isn't it? :o

How is Lambert an 'option' for Pelle. He is pretty much the same player just older, slower and less fit and mobile. If Pelle isn't working Lambert certainly wont. This is exactly the kind of game Lambert would have gone missing in last season.

I do think we need another CF but not an inferior version of what we already have. Someone with the pace to play off the last man, which is not one of Pelle's attributes. Maybe Long would be suited to this, I'm not sure.

How is Lambert an 'option' for Pelle. He is pretty much the same player just older, slower and less fit and mobile. If Pelle isn't working Lambert certainly wont. This is exactly the kind of game Lambert would have gone missing in last season.

I do think we need another CF but not an inferior version of what we already have. Someone with the pace to play off the last man, which is not one of Pelle's attributes. Maybe Long would be suited to this, I'm not sure.

Black Box says J-Rod *cough*

umm two starts two goals........one in the CL..................he's still got it :)

Against the mighty Ludogorets.

Everton want to send Arouna Kone out of loan from January to get match fitness. Another target man.

Everton striker Arouna Kone, 31, could be sent out on loan in the January transfer window as he aims to regain full fitness after a year out of action with a knee injury. (Talksport)

Again, why would we want an older, crap version of Pelle on loan.

Against the mighty Ludogorets.

Again, why would we want an older, crap version of Pelle on loan.

We are looking for a player to deputise for Pelle. He could be a younger player going up the ladder, or a more experienced player coming back down. If we find a player BETTER than Pelle, then he would start over Pelle. So stop thinking "is he better?" because if he is, he won't want to come and sit on the bench or play selected games. You get me, it's important that you get me! :)

We are looking for a player to deputise for Pelle. He could be a younger player going up the ladder, or a more experienced player coming back down. If we find a player BETTER than Pelle, then he would start over Pelle. So stop thinking "is he better?" because if he is, he won't want to come and sit on the bench or play selected games. You get me, it's important that you get me! :)

J-Rod > Pelle

HTH.

J-Rod > Pelle

HTH.

Except Jrod plays nothing like Pelle, is injured and unlikely to be back anytime soon, when he is back will probably take a while to get match fit/sharp and doesn't want to sign a new contract so is most likely hoping to leave.........other than that the perfect replacement for Pelle if he gets injured or suspended

Think the point for me about Monday and needing something off the bench wasnt that we dont have anything, more that we played everything that we had from the off.

Usually we would have one of Long/Mane off the bench and later in the year we'll also have JRod.

Not knocking RK for Monday as he felt we would blow them away with all our attacking options and if we did get an early goal, we probably would have, but when we didnt, we couldn't really change it.

Think the point for me about Monday and needing something off the bench wasnt that we dont have anything, more that we played everything that we had from the off.

Usually we would have one of Long/Mane off the bench and later in the year we'll also have JRod.

Not knocking RK for Monday as he felt we would blow them away with all our attacking options and if we did get an early goal, we probably would have, but when we didnt, we couldn't really change it.

I think that's what most of us felt. Long or Mane off the bench could be a game changer Cork not so much.

Except Jrod plays nothing like Pelle, is injured and unlikely to be back anytime soon, when he is back will probably take a while to get match fit/sharp and doesn't want to sign a new contract so is most likely hoping to leave.........other than that the perfect replacement for Pelle if he gets injured or suspended

and in the real world.... if J-Rod doesn't end up being an exceptional centre forward (the one up top) I'll eat my hat. Major injuries for a club like ours have a major impact, we cannot just chuck cash at the situation. Until such a time that J-Rod is sold we will not bring in a replacement or allow McQueen further game time (appreciate he's injured too).

Nailed it. :toppa:

You mean that Gerrard will still be first choice CM when he's nigh on 40? It's all they need to do, put the knob out to pasture and replace him with someone who can actually perform the role he's supposed to be playing and let someone else blast the free kicks over the bar for a while. Gerrard is finished, he's their biggest problem.

You're asking Lambert to play defensive midfield? I guess he could do that as well as Gerrard.

Yes "the someone with pace to play off the last man" would be J-Rod ... or Shane Long. So shall we forget about a Pelle clone, and just work with what we have, for better or for worse?

Erm, but the point here is that we don't currently do that, as Pelle is in the side. Changing what we've been doing to great success for no reason, or because Pelle's injured, would probably weaken the side. Which is why there's a discussion about a like for like Pelle replacement (which still isn't Lambert).

Absolutely, but the point is we NEED to have attacking options on the bench to maximise our possible outcomes.

Erm, but the point here is that we don't currently do that, as Pelle is in the side. Changing what we've been doing to great success for no reason, or because Pelle's injured, would probably weaken the side. Which is why there's a discussion about a like for like Pelle replacement (which still isn't Lambert).

Thank god someone gets it. We play a style would make more sense to have a player to fit that style with minimum disruption as back up than change the whole system. Also Pelle needs competition for his spot to keep him on his toes.