Yoshida

benjii

He worked hard but all the things I listed in that post I stand by. I recorded and watched the Sky coverage, Souness and Neville also pointed out his problems and they weren't solely down to being up against Hazard. Did you not notice how Chelsea were targeting Yoshida rather than a 19 year old on the other side of the pitch? They saw Yoshida as the weaklink, I don't dismiss his efforts and workrate as he certainly put a shift in but he is a very limited player even when he plays in his normal position of centre back.

He would be okay if we were still a bottom half Premier League team, but he is far too limited technically to play for a team challenging as we are at the top of the league. Work rate simply isn't enough at the level Saints are aspiring to reach. I think Gardos looks more composure and assured on the ball, Yoshida panics with the ball at his feet and his distribution is poor.

Hazard's a left winger, you plum- less a case that they were targeting Yoshida than just getting the ball to their best player. Their play went down our right, even when Toby switched to fullback.

not sure for a club like saints, how much better a 3rd/4th choice CB would be. he is decent

What is you definition of a "club like Saints"? Halfway through a season we are challenging for 4th place. If we use Yoshida for a number of games we'll fall away. He is okay to start if we were in the bottom half, okay as cover if we were aiming for mid table, but to challenge at the top of the league we need a better quality of 3rd/4th choice centre back.

What is you definition of a "club like Saints"? Halfway through a season we are challenging for 4th place. If we use Yoshida for a number of games we'll fall away. He is okay to start if we were in the bottom half, okay as cover if we were aiming for mid table, but to challenge at the top of the league we need a better quality of 3rd/4th choice centre back.

a club like saints. who cant keep hold of their best players for long. you know, just like saints

we go into the january window with another loan (which I am happy with) and not a £30m spending spree.

Edited by Batman

Out of interest, can you give an example of the kind of player that you woulld consider good enough as a back up defender for us?

Out of interest, can you give an example of the kind of player that you woulld consider good enough as a back up defender for us?

Get another player at Alderweireld's level to partner him and make Fonte 3rd choice. Fonte would still get game time to keep him happy, that is how you improve the quality level of the squad if we really have ambition of competing at the top.

Get another player at Alderweireld's level to partner him and make Fonte 3rd choice. Fonte would still get game time to keep him happy, that is how you improve the quality level of the squad if we really have ambition of competing at the top.

Alderweireld is on loan -there's a good chance we won't sign him as bigger fish come in. So you propose we not only secure his services but also get another player of similar standing. Fantasy pal.

Quite how you feel Yoshida isnt good enough to play for us at a back up level is beyond me. Really wasnt bad at all against Chelsea and was solid as per usual again today despite playing out of position.

He is easily good enough as a back up for us and clearly is happy with his role at the club.