Away Record

Wiggles31

Our defensive record away from St. Mary's is quite remarkable - doubly so when you think how many times we have played without our first choice defense and central midfield. As organised a team as I have seen in my time supporting Saints.

Now if we just had a bit more firepower up front.... (to be fair we ain't that bad, but goals look hard to come by currently, with Pelle off his game)

i agree its a super achievement.

defensively saints are just so tight, surely they must have allowed the least shots on target this season compared to anyone?

also, as tough as it seems scoring goals at the moment, when Fonte hit the woodwork on saturday it was the 14th time this season saints have hit the woodwork ... thats more times than villa have actually scored.

Now if we just had a bit more firepower up front.... (to be fair we ain't that bad, but goals look hard to come by currently, with Pelle off his game)

I think this could prove to be the difference (hopefully not!). Pelle has been great, and when you consider the price we paid for him, also a bargain. However, I'd probably class him as a 'good premier league striker' rather than a top class one. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of these players in the division (maybe even in the world), and they all cluster at a few clubs. The best you can hope for is unearthing one and keeping for a couple of seasons. Look at Bony - not even sure whether he's in that top bracket, but he's been stockpiled by City nonetheless.

Away record has been fantastic this year, and great reward for those who have followed the team at great expense around the country.

you could argue for the away defeats all were unlucky and on another day could easily have been draws, i was at Spurs (Mane miss) , Arsenal (late winner for them when we were down to 10 men) and Burnley (missed penalty), the Liverpool game we just lacked a bit of organisation at the back for their goals.

I wonder what other games the club are planning to use the "away fan fund" for? last season we subsidised tickets for Swansea away doing tickets for a £5, so far this year think all we have offered is reduced coach travel for Palace on boxing day

Away record has been fantastic this year, and great reward for those who have followed the team at great expense around the country.

you could argue for the away defeats all were unlucky and on another day could easily have been draws, i was at Spurs (Mane miss) , Arsenal (late winner for them when we were down to 10 men) and Burnley (missed penalty), the Liverpool game we just lacked a bit of organisation at the back for their goals.

I wonder what other games the club are planning to use the "away fan fund" for? last season we subsidised tickets for Swansea away doing tickets for a £5, so far this year think all we have offered is reduced coach travel for Palace on boxing day

Yeah, not a single away game this season we've been out played or well beaten. Could/should have taken points from every one of those games. Still got to go away to Man City and Chelsea though. On that point, hopefully we use the away fan fund to subsidise Chelsea tickets.

It's a strange one, as we certainly don't look as free-flowing as we did back in September/October, and yet we've won 4 on the spin away from home and are the fifth-highest scorers in the league.

Our eyes see us labour a bit up front, appear to lack a bit of clinical finishing, and yet we're still winning games.

Like many others I spent years going to Div1/PL away games never expecting to win. Now I go never expecting to lose.

We were commentating on exactly that at the game on saturday, it's such a weird feeling to go away from home expecting to win most games, or at least get something. Gone are the old days of the football getting in the way of a **** up and now i actually look forward to the 90minutes

Perhaps you should stop going to away games if that's the luck you bring?! ;)

We also won three away games in the LC, two against PL teams. So 10 away wins in total this season. That must be a record. Just checked for last season, and we won 7 away games last season in the PL as well.

I have only managed 2 away games this season, but will remember both for a very long time. Arsenal in the LC and Man U in the PL. Coming out of Old Trafford having won was just fantastic.

We also won three away games in the LC, two against PL teams. So 10 away wins in total this season. That must be a record. Just checked for last season, and we won 7 away games last season in the PL as well.

I have only managed 2 away games this season, but will remember both for a very long time. Arsenal in the LC and Man U in the PL. Coming out of Old Trafford having won was just fantastic.

Plus winning at Ipswich in the FA cup , I went to Arsenal and Stoke in LC, both cracking cup wins which made defeat at Sheff Utd all the more disappointing.

So 11 away wins in total - lets get this to 15 saints.

11 away wins would be a good showing for any team to get in a season. Given the fact that this is Saints, in the EPL*, and in the second week of February it is extremely impressive. Only Chelsea can boast the same I think.

*yes I know 4 were cups, my point still stands