SAINTS 1-2 Palace Post Match Meltdown.

nta786

Generally you say a lot of very sensible things. The problem for me is that while each makes good sense on its own, collectively they don't seem to convey an opinion on what is wrong overall, or where you think the blame lies. Maybe you don't think blame can be allocated. Maybe you think there's nothing can be done to turn this dreadful run around. Maybe you think that we are good enough and things will just turn around as a natural course. The highlighted comment however seems to suggest you have a considered view on the overall situation and where the blame might lie, and perhaps what ought to happen next.

Would you like to share it? Genuinely, I'd really like to hear it. Maybe you have and I've missed it.

You are right, in recent times I have tried to avoid taking sides, lay overall blame at a doorstep or offered a solution. I am not sure I can offer answers, explanations or a way forward that hasn't been offered by other more knowledgeable posters. I don't know enough or feel there is a silver bullet.

My comment about squad management was specifically about the left back situation, and for me the misevaluation of Targett in preseason as being good enough for the premiership, even as a back up, this season.

Edited by Chez

You are right, in recent times I have tried to avoid taking sides, lay overall blame at a doorstep or offered a solution. I am not sure I can offer answers, explanations or a way forward that hasn't been offered by other more knowledgeable posters. I don't know enough or feel there is a silver bullet.

My comment about squad management was specifically about the left back situation, and for me the misevaluation of Targett in preseason as being good enough for the premiership, even as a back up, this season.

I think you are one of the best posters on here making really good points but sometimes you do seem to obsessed with particular issues first there was your love in with Jack Cork now the opposite with Matt Targett.

I too have not been impressed with Matt but it is the policy of the club to bring through academy players and as an England U21 International he has been identified as a future PL player and will play if Bertrand is not available

Surely he can only improve and if he does not and we buy in another LB what is the point of the Academy

Targett has the first touch to make it, but right now the combination of being physically lightweight and not pacey makes him a weak point whenever he plays, which was all the time at the start of the season. For me a season out on loan to toughen up would have been the best thing for him. That said who would have covered Bertrand? It's not like we could have got a top class full back in for one season, or even half a season whilst Bertrand was recovering from injury. Which in a nutshell shows how tricky it is to manage a squad, which is exactly why I tend to taper any blame.

Targett has the first touch to make it, but right now the combination of being physically lightweight and not pacey makes him a weak point whenever he plays, which was all the time at the start of the season. For me a season out on loan to toughen up would have been the best thing for him. That said who would have covered Bertrand? It's not like we could have got a top class full back in for one season, or even half a season whilst Bertrand was recovering from injury. Which in a nutshell shows how tricky it is to manage a squad, which is exactly why I tend to taper any blame.

I think his problem is that the game is too fast for him. There was a ball on Saturday that should have been his but by the time he'd looked up to see where to put it he had been closed down and ended up loosing the tackle. The game seems to pass him by.

teams aren't assigned random numbers anymore, it's all to do with the tie number we were drawn the previous round, so it would have been 21 vs 26 in the 4th round regardless of the teams.

Teams haven't been assigned random numbers since at least 1986, when I read about the process in that season's FA Cup Final programme. I think they may have mentioned the draw format was unchanged since the 3rd Division split into North and South in that article (and remains so, give or take one or two quirks with the numbers of teams in the divisions).

Edited by The9