SAINTS 1-2 Palace Post Match Meltdown.

nta786

Roy Keane was a world class midfielder.

CHDAJFU?

Don't.

Even if you're joking, just don't. I couldn't bear the thought of that utter **** being anywhere near our club. If it happened, I'd support the skates, that's how much I hate him.

Thanks to cheap ticketing this was the first game I've been able to afford to go to for what seems like a age. Okay the result will obviously be a big disappointment for any true Saints fan but in all honesty I didn't feel that the match was entirely lacking in entertainment value. Indeed, we played well enough methinks to mean we probably didn't really deserve to come away empty handed. A few random thoughts on our players today - some of whom I haven't seen much of beforehand:

VVD - Obviously a class act this lad and our most complete player perhaps.

Targett - The lack of pace is a problem that will never go away. However, this lad does seem to be making clear progress.

Mane - His close control and physical agility are exceptional. Indeed, I've seldom seen a forward who can beat a man quite as easily as Mane can. What a pity therefore that his ''end product'' so often does not nearly match the standard of his approach work.

Clasie - Yet another expensive foreign import who arrived here with the burden of a proverbial ''next big think'' placard hanging around his neck, but in reality struggles badly to live up to all the hype.

Steve Davis - Utterly anonymous.

Shane Long - ...... ditto ......

Juanmi - Given limited playing time so far and therefore desperate to impress. To some extent he did just that I thought.

JWP - He too made a positive difference when he came on.

Yoshida - Why the cheers when he was subbed?

Overall we're still stuck in this same rut that has derailed our season now and I can't help but think what a pity it is that our interest in the FA Cup is over so soon yet again because this competition was our last best hope of a exciting season.

Thanks to cheap ticketing this was the first game I've been able to afford to go to for what seems like a age. Okay the result will obviously be a big disappointment for any true Saints fan but in all honesty I didn't feel that the match was entirely lacking in entertainment value. Indeed, we played well enough methinks to mean we probably didn't really deserve to come away empty handed. A few random thoughts on our players today - some of whom I haven't seen much of beforehand:

Targett - The lack of pace is a problem that will never go away. However, this lad does seem to be making clear progress.

Mane - His close control and physical agility are exceptional. Indeed, I've seldom seen a forward who can beat a man quite as easily as Mane can. What a pity therefore that his ''end product'' so often does not nearly match the standard of his approach work.

Clasie - Yet another expensive foreign import who arrived here with the burden of a proverbial ''next big think'' placard hanging around his neck, but in reality struggles badly to live up to all the hype.

Juanmi - Given limited playing time so far and therefore desperate to impress. To some extent he did just that I thought.

Overall we're still stuck in this same rut that has derailed our season now and I can't help but think what a pity it is that our interest in the FA Cup is over so soon yet again because this competition was our last best hope of a exciting season.

Clasie was very good! Cheers as yoshida is terrible and jwp can only take corners that's it.

I would rather be run by Ron, a world class player, than by a load of David Brent bullsh*t from geeks on a computer and d*ckheads in the boardroom.

Kat has to make a choice. Trust Ron, not the crap from Les and Ralph.

I vote for Ronaldinho as our new financial director. World class he was, world class.

Of course the pathway has been shut. Reed plays well and then is ignored for a year. If it hadn't been for Bertrand's injury and sickness Targett likely wouldn't have played in well over a year. Seager scores regularly for u21's and then comes off after scoring again to read interview from manager claiming him and the rest of the academy are utterly worthless in Koeman's eyes.

Reed did OK running around a lot at the end of a few games, but from what I have read he hasn't shined at under 21 level this season. If he looked the best midfielder in training and practices matches don't you think he'd get games?

Targett is woeful. Would you prefer we didn't sign Bertrand to let him get game time? Blimey. I don't see your logic. If Shaw was coming through right now do you think Koeman would ignore him?

Seager isn't ready. People calling for him to get in the side just sound desperate to me.

Edited by Chez

I expected a reply like this and of course there will be many others. I was bold enough to write about the dangers long before many and of course people will find that difficult to stomach so I suppose there will be many that still try and undermine my assertions.

Undermine you posts, they are utter rubbish an jusy variations of the same thing over and over, you must bore yourself with it

if you are honest, either that or you are a friut cake

Goals here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35273412

Awful defending and goalkeeping.

looking at the highlights the first goal is so laughable and as for the free header what is Shreck doing routed to the goal line with a header 4 yards out?

Look at the save for the Palace 2nd goal, any half decent keeper would of taken off and turned it around the post and not palm it back in play.

Fraser please come back as you did more in the midweek game than our joke Dutch keeper did all season.

Reed did OK running around a lot at the end of a few games, but from what I have read he hasn't shined at under 21 level this season. If he looked threat midfielder in training and practices matches don't you think he'd get games?

Targett is woeful. Would you prefer we didn't sign Bertrand to let him get game time? Blimey. I don't see your logic. If Shaw was coming through right now do you think Koeman would ignore him?

Seager isn't ready. People calling for him to get in the side just sound desperate to me.

Disagree with you about Reed - he has done a lot more in several appearances than "running around a lot". Ever since RK commented (last season) in interview that he doesn't have technical skills, the lad hasn't been given the opportunity he deserves, while the other academy graduate who does have technical skills has largely squandered and floundered in 100 appearances and his opportunities continue. I also don't think Targett is as bad as you describe him, though he certainly is not good enough for regular starts.

Disagree with you about Reed - he has done a lot more in several appearances than "running around a lot". Ever since RK commented (last season) in interview that he doesn't have technical skills, the lad hasn't been given the opportunity he deserves, while the other academy graduate who does have technical skills has largely squandered and floundered in 100 appearances and his opportunities continue. I also don't think Targett is as bad as you describe him, though he certainly is not good enough for regular starts.

Personally I think there is room for a player without the best technical skills but with the work rate and ability to win the ball back, which is why I liked Cork so much. I don't rate Reed anywhere near his level. Id have given Reed some playing time,off the bench based on what he did last year, but if he has receded as has been described of his displays in the under 21s then RK perhaps doesn't have a choice.

Targett really is that bad at the moment. Slow, weak, totally one footed and not that great with it. He is gormless. Add to that The number of times he got forward today only to hit his cross straight at the first defender defied even my worst expectations. Would he get in any championship side? He needs toughening up. A season out on loan not our reserve left back. Appalling squad management. He cost us points earlier in the season in my opinion.

Reed may be worth another try, it's marginal imo. But the underlying point being made is that the youngsters aren't good enough, at least not yet. Koeman isn't an idiot. If he had better in the under 21s than he has in the first team then he'd play them.

looking at the highlights the first goal is so laughable and as for the free header what is Shreck doing routed to the goal line with a header 4 yards out?

Look at the save for the Palace 2nd goal, any half decent keeper would of taken off and turned it around the post and not palm it back in play.

Fraser please come back as you did more in the midweek game than our joke Dutch keeper did all season.

Utter rubbish

Reed may be worth another try, it's marginal imo. But the underlying point being made is that the youngsters aren't good enough, at least not yet. Koeman isn't an idiot. If he had better in the under 21s than he has in the first team then he'd play them.

Yes, I agree - most of the youngsters are not good enough and may never be. I feel a bit sorry for Ron in that his quote about the academy players might seem harsh in print, yet he is essentially correct. The Club cannot expect to churn out Bales, Shaws and Walcotts every season and the idea of getting to a point where 50% are academy products is fanciful. I am arguing that Harry Reed is an academy player who has shown he can play well at first team level and he's not getting the opportunity to build on what he's shown as an 18 and 19yo.

Same today as West Ham and Norwich in my eyes and I guess fair chunks of the season as a whole. We're the better team, do more than the opposition, but lack a clinical edge in the final third, both creativity and finishing and we've always got a sloppy mistake in our back pockets ready and waiting to give unspectacular opposition a chance. Our heads drop and we lack leadership and confidence.

We're not a bad team and we don't have a bad set-up, fine margins really.

I thought Targett looked good, as did Romeu and VVD.

Seems you have an axe to grind. Has Ronald told you to stick your stats up your @rse?

I don't think Guan even works at the club. He is just sharing info and has been spot on before.

Its not a huge suprise that the hierarchy probably aren't happy with some aspects at the moment, even if their lack of investment is probably more of a factor than anything Koeman does.

But don't slag someone for sharing info.

Eh?

Think you have the wrong end of the stick!

I'm not. Just suprised at your reaction to Guan's post which is just relaying info someone else provided to him!

See you're being the same you and attacking everyone who has anything negative to say. Must be an enjoyable living for you. Why don't you support another team if you don't like our fans?

I support the football club\team, and sick of reading the same derogatory s hit e about everything SFC on repeat.......

Undermine you posts, they are utter rubbish an jusy variations of the same thing over and over, you must bore yourself with it

if you are honest, either that or you are a friut cake

As I said on another thread, even a broken clock is right twice a day; I think fruit cake is being extremely polite.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Same today as West Ham and Norwich in my eyes and I guess fair chunks of the season as a whole. We're the better team, do more than the opposition, but lack a clinical edge in the final third, both creativity and finishing and we've always got a sloppy mistake in our back pockets ready and waiting to give unspectacular opposition a chance. Our heads drop and we lack leadership and confidence.

We're not a bad team and we don't have a bad set-up, fine margins really.

I thought Targett looked good, as did Romeu and VVD.

Agree with pretty much all of that, except you evaluation of Targett. Even his throw ins were ****.

(Information that has been passed on starts) Not just Les Reed. We are a club with multiple departments, all of which are talented in collating and reviewing information, and making recommendations based on that information. In the past, how much attention players pay to their reviews has been a good indicator to the expected level of future commitment (Lallana). At the moment, our reviews are pointing to a number of worrying factors. We are not playing to the clubs preferred formation, despite purchasing players identified as being able to do so. Our training regimes are very segregated, and our post match analysis software is pointing to mistakes being repeated time after time. The path from the youth team to the first has been apparently shut, and those parents who advised their children to choose SFC over other suitors for reasons of development and who were already angry being misled, are now furious over Koeman's public statement on the subject.

SFC is not an unfeeling corporate machine, and in times of goals aplenty and top eight places there is leeway on our methods, but given that most departments have voiced concerns over the direction and atmosphere of the first team, and those who are seemingly barred from joining it, adding to Koeman's unwillingness to commit and our horrific run of results (Information that has been passed on end)

I would not be surprised if anything less than 6 points in the next 2 games sees Ronald stay until the summer. I am waiting on confirmation, but i enquired as to whether feelers have been put out over a new manager as of yet.

Which parents are angry and why? That doesn't make sense.

You say "anything less than 6 points in the next 2 games sees Ronald stay until the summer". Why would getting 4 points from the next two games really make an impact in Koeman staying/going as far off as the summer? Again, doesn't make sense.

Personally I think there is room for a player without the best technical skills but with the work rate and ability to win the ball back, which is why I liked Cork so much. I don't rate Reed anywhere near his level. Id have given Reed some playing time,off the bench based on what he did last year, but if he has receded as has been described of his displays in the under 21s then RK perhaps doesn't have a choice.

Targett really is that bad at the moment. Slow, weak, totally one footed and not that great with it. He is gormless. Add to that The number of times he got forward today only to hit his cross straight at the first defender defied even my worst expectations. Would he get in any championship side? He needs toughening up. A season out on loan not our reserve left back. Appalling squad management. He cost us points earlier in the season in my opinion.

Quite agree with you about Jack Cork - Viafara comes to mind as another hard working midfielder without technical skills who did a job for the Club and added steel in front of a back four. Getting back to Reed, I don't think the U/21 set-up and fixture list is a barometer of whether he has kicked on or regressed. The point is, Reed has shown he has the goods at first team level - go back and watch the Everton and West Ham games from last season. His biggest problem this season is lack of opportunity not regression in his game. You're probably right about Targett, he's a long way off being a regular left back and I suspect he would find the Championship hard going at this stage too - let's hope we don't find ourselves down there any time soon.

Agree with pretty much all of that, except you evaluation of Targett. Even his throw ins were ****.
I didn't think he was outstanding or anything like that, but he's a decent player, developing slowly, but surely. Will never set the world alight, but I'd still class him as a positive.

Hi CEC, I quite enjoy your posts normally but you seem to be talking a load of old bollickyboos here.

Mané was shocking.

Targett was utter pants.

Juanmi hardly touched the ball, jwp took a couple of good corners and Clasie did well.

Apart from that you're spot on.

I was gona start but I cant be bothered..

why do people bother buying tickets in northam if they have no interest in singing or shouting and adding to the atmosphere...go and sit in chapel

today top of block 41 (because my normal 42 seat taken by palace) surrounded by statues bringing down the atmosphere

Stek should have come off of his line for the first one as well. 100%

IMO we've signed a load of really dim players and i'm getting a clear impression that Koeman isnt very clever either. The tactics are non existent and simple corrections in personal and formation to fix the same mistakes we see each week just aren't happening. We played 5 at the back vs palace just a few weeks ago and it didnt work so why have we done it again? What kind of say do Erwin and Sammy Lee, even the goal keeping coach get? Surely the 4 of them can get it right between them? Maybe Koeman really isn't listening to anyone.

Who are the really dim players we've signed?

Did it swerve at all? Only excuse I can offer.

Yes it did, somewhat, but not a lot. I was sitting right in line with it and it seemed to curve back to the left a bit but not so much that Stek couldn't have just tipped it over the bar.

I can't fault him for the first though. The area was getting crowded and I don't see what he could have done to have saved it.

Hi CEC, I quite enjoy your posts normally but you seem to be talking a load of old bollickyboos here.

Mané was shocking.

Targett was utter pants.

Juanmi hardly touched the ball, jwp took a couple of good corners and Clasie did well.

That's a decent summary. Unfortunately it's all getting depressingly familiar these days. WTF was going on with that first half formation? Long was pulling their defence all over the place but there was nobody up with him to take advantage of the holes he created.

Things have been heading this way since Cortese went.... Wonder where this road ends up.

For me this is spot on! Leaving aside the pros's and con's of NC etc. etc. the problem since his departure seems to be there is no Caesar at our club any more? At least when NC was here, he was the leader (leader not owner - Marcus let him run the show), and so we had a vision (Southampton Way if you like) and he acted as a mighty general (threw player offer faxes in to the waste bin etc.), but now who is Caesar?? KL seems to be very much a silent (but gratefully welcomed) investor, but who has replaced the NC role (not saying I want him back, but we need someone with his balls to stand up for us). It's not Les, should be Ralph, but he clearly is not. Don't have a problem with us letting Nicky go (and he jumped, we did not push him), but our biggest mistake was not to replace him with someone equal or better.

So who has the responsibility / balls to fire RK now? Again not suggesting we should, but I honestly don't know, at least with NC there was no question!!

Your not allowed to say that because its true..

We are **** because we lost, the rest is irrelevant...apparently

Its ok , I'm now convinced that our abysmal form is down to being unlucky .

It has nothing to do with bizarre formations or team selection .

Todays game had nothing to do with playing an entirely defensive team against a team with a single striker.

Considering how rarely convert our chances it makes total sense to design a formation which limits those chances .

I just wish we were as lucky as the teams who play us ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Lol at the thought of delusional parents being angry about their kids not being good enough for Prem footy.

Can imagine it now.

"Ere Koeman, you know naafffing you caaahnt!! My tyro league team won the league playing 4-4-2 and players full of passion and commitment when I was a nipper!! Harry Reed's mum says he's the bee's knees!!"

January= inflated prices. We should definitely spend this window- see the season out. Then buy in the summer. Watford bought 15 players and its working for them kind of.

If we get £50m from Mane/Bertrand/Wanyama or whoever.

Would like to see us spend £70m on 6-7 players and get rid of some deadwood.

Why do we want to sell Bertrand ?

You're asking to sell our best players and get rid of the rubbish ? If we sell our best players then all we have left is rubbish .

70 million doesn't buy a competitive team so basically we will end up with another poor side

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Mané was shocking.

Targett was utter pants.

If Clasie played so well why then why do you think the manager gave him the hook - I didn't spot any injury. As for JWP, after watching the rest of the team overhit everything for much of the match it came as something of a relief (to this fan at least) to see someone come on and do something useful with the ball for a change - indeed I seem to remember that his accuracy very nearly led to a equaliser on more than one occasion.

Mane was disappointing perhaps, but certainly not ''shocking'' in the negative sense of the expression - unless you are of the easily shocked type I suppose. As for describing young Matty Targett's performance yesterday as ''pants'' ... well that comment is itself pants methinks.

Agree with you - the problem is I don't believe they will invest in January. I know this will be seen as controversial; but how is the current board different to Lowe and cronies in terms of player activity. Both flogged our best players and replaced them with cheaper, less effective alternatives (or were profligate with money e.g. Delgado and Osvaldo). My key concern is that some fans have been blinded by the initial work ML put in place for too long now. I believe things would have been better had he lived but I am no longer convinced the current board are applying his vision - rather, it is now a bunch of the usual chancer's who are lining their own pockets and frankly don't give a toss about the club. Suspect RK will take the hit for this poor season even if he keeps us up; but not sure that is the answer. The board need to start earning their salaries and invest in the squad again; but I'm not holding my breath.

Good post. Pretty much sums up how I feel.