SAINTS 1-2 Palace Post Match Meltdown.

nta786

I'll agree with you on the West Ham/Norwich games but ultimately we shot ourselves in the foot in both and mistakes gave them the wins.

Can't agree on Spurs or Stoke. Stoke one in particular. They dominated that game imo and 1-0 flattered us. Referee had a howler with our penalty shout but Stoke had two or three great opportunities that they missed.

Fair enough as we all agree its all about opinions

Sorry, I agree with him. The focus and intensity was lost when Cortese went. The end of that season was also a damp squib. I reckon outrage at the antics of the summer 2014 gave us the motivation to start 2014/15 well, then the Koeman drag factor kicked in over the last 10 games then as well. And now we see his management, warts-and-all for what it is.

Anyone who went/watched the game have any feedback on the performance? Sounds like we were unlucky to lose but gave away two p!ss poor goals.

Mood has been improved by the news that my dad has lost his wallet containing both our season tickets. Excellent.

Anyone who went/watched the game have any feedback on the performance? Sounds like we were unlucky to lose but gave away two p!ss poor goals.

Mood has been improved by the news that my dad has lost his wallet containing both our season tickets. Excellent.

Only for the time being, wait until you get the ransom demand, "Give us £2k or we'll return your season tickets".

What worries me most is that we have lost the key elements of the identity we worked so hard to build over the last few years - a reasonably stable line-up, a solid defence, a trademark playing style with lots of off-the-ball movement, width and quick passing, high fitness levels, a solid core of English players, and a willingness to bring youngsters through. And always, in the players, a clear commitment to "the cause".

I took great pride in all those things, and they earned us respect throughout football, but they all seem like distant memories now.

We're forever chopping and changing, 'tactics' are all over the place, key players seem to lack commitment and don't look like they know what's expected of them, our fitness levels are poor, players are making the same mistakes as they were making at the start of the season, and we're dropping points week-in, week-out for the same reasons. Most of that list sits at the manager's door - and he can no longer say that he's trying to play his style with another manager's signings.

It's as though the players no longer enjoy playing for Koeman, and I have to say that - even though I like the guy - I probably wouldn't either. He seems quite an intimidating presence, which is okay as long as he's delivering. But, like LvG, he certainly isn't. With Ranieri opting for stability and consistency, Koeman is the new Tinkerman, and it isn't working.

Les Reed has gone silent, and Koeman is sure enough of himself to publicly diss Reed's baby - the academy.

Is there someone in the club who's big and brave enough to confront Koeman and get things back on track?

Sorry if i missed your question earlier..

We are not rubbish all the time, some of the time we are, granted and having been to all home games bar today and watched

all others on web, IMO we have been bad at times and not got what we should have in others but we have not been

rubbish in all...sorry if you dont agree

Even relegated sides are not rubbish all the time. They have their 'unlucky' games. They have their shots well saved sometimes too. But they still get relegated.

We have failed at the off in every single cup competition this year, and are also failing to get wins in the league.

Koeman seems to be suggesting the board is to blame, the academy is to blame, but not the people who presumably approved the bringing in of players about whom both the Koemans were fully familiar, not the people who are coaching the first team, not the people who determine the tactics, not the people who pick the side..........

We are in real trouble. Someone said we'll now plod on to 12th. At the moment I seriously doubt it. We were dire when Erwin took over while Ron had his op, and we haven't really improved since, though like even relegated sides we still pay well sometimes. I question the Koemans' tactical and motivational ability with these players and I am far from convinced that more new signings now will be enough.

What worries me most is that we have lost the key elements of the identity we worked so hard to build over the last few years - a reasonably stable line-up, a solid defence, a trademark playing style with lots of off-the-ball movement, width and quick passing, high fitness levels, a solid core of English players, and a willingness to bring youngsters through. And always, in the players, a clear commitment to "the cause".

I took great pride in all those things, and they earned us respect throughout football, but they all seem like distant memories now.

We're forever chopping and changing, 'tactics' are all over the place, key players seem to lack commitment and don't look like they know what's expected of them, our fitness levels are poor, players are making the same mistakes as they were making at the start of the season, and we're dropping points week-in, week-out for the same reasons. Most of that list sits at the manager's door - and he can no longer say that he's trying to play his style with another manager's signings.

It's as though the players no longer enjoy playing for Koeman, and I have to say that - even though I like the guy - I probably wouldn't either. He seems quite an intimidating presence, which is okay as long as he's delivering. But, like LvG, he certainly isn't. With Ranieri opting for stability and consistency, Koeman is the new Tinkerman, and it isn't working.

Les Reed has gone silent, and Koeman is sure enough of himself to publicly diss Reed's baby - the academy.

Is there someone in the club who's big and brave enough to confront Koeman and get things back on track?

Where's Cortese when you need him?

He seems quite an intimidating presence, which is okay as long as he's delivering.

Not sure about that, the players always describe him as relaxed and good humoured. Aren't all personalities okay as long as they're delivering?

We have failed at the off in every single cup competition this year

Apart from, y'know, the other two.

Edited by DuncanRG

5 defenders and 2 holding midfielders.....when it really didnt work when we played them the other week

:lol:

To be fair it's not that much different from the Arsenal line up (in which only 2 attacking players featured). Today we effectively played with only 3 at the back, so if anything it was more adventurous than 4-4-2. And Mane and Long played much closer together down the middle as they did against Arsenal.

Edited by shurlock

Even relegated sides are not rubbish all the time. They have their 'unlucky' games. They have their shots well saved sometimes too. But they still get relegated.

We have failed at the off in every single cup competition this year, and are also failing to get wins in the league.

Koeman seems to be suggesting the board is to blame, the academy is to blame, but not the people who presumably approved the bringing in of players about whom both the Koemans were fully familiar, not the people who are coaching the first team, not the people who determine the tactics, not the people who pick the side..........

We are in real trouble. Someone said we'll now plod on to 12th. At the moment I seriously doubt it. We were dire when Erwin took over while Ron had his op, and we haven't really improved since, though like even relegated sides we still pay well sometimes. I question the Koemans' tactical and motivational ability with these players and I am far from convinced that more new signings now will be enough.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said there.

To be fair it's not that much different from the Arsenal line up (in which only 2 attacking players featured). Today we effectively played with only 3 at the back, so if anything it was more adventurous than 4-4-2. And Mane and Long played much closer together as they did against Arsenal.

Campbell, Giroud, Iwobi, Walcott?

Surely four?

I was less than enthused when I saw how the team was set up for the first half but more optimistic with the changes at half time - but same old story. Not playing badly but cant put our chances away and give away soft goals. Good to hear that they are looking to bring in another striker but fear we need more than that to make the changes we need in the results. I was going to wait until after the next two games before I started to think about buying a rubber sheet but todays result would indicate that we have got ourselves into a certain rut. It is very frustrating because it seems as if we are not that far away from turning it around and it is almost as if we haven't got the belief to step it up.

From what I have seen of Villa they have looked rubbish a great deal of the time.

The usual performance with the usual outcome. Blame lies at the club as a collective from the players right through to the manager and board.

In the summer with the new TV deal we need to spend that extra money in addition to what we make from Wanyama and Mané. However, after the summer of recruitment we have seen from Les Reed, Ross Wilson and Ronald Koeman would you trust them to spend it wisely?

In the summer with the new TV deal we need to spend that extra money in addition to what we make from Wanyama and Mané. However, after the summer of recruitment we have seen from Les Reed, Ross Wilson and Ronald Koeman would you trust them to spend it wisely?

Yep.

First Palace goal was down to a poor pass out of defence by Yoshida his confidence must be shot to bits, our equaliser good effort by Martina saved by the keeper Rom knocked in the rebound. Their second I think Tadic thought it was going out for a goal kick Palace did not give it up and kept the ball in play Stek made a good save from the resulting shot ball went to Saha who was not picked up who made it 2-1 to Palace. Can't fault the effort but some poor finishing and defending cost us the game yet again.

A hell of a lot of OTT comments on here, although the amount of defeats is quite glaring now. Again, we played ok, but in my opinion we don't create enough clear cut chances - and the ones we do, we seem to fluff. We're too predictable once we get into the final third, and whilst our defense is light years away from anything we had last year, it's our attack and lack of killer instinct which is really killing us right now.

2 huge games coming up.

This time in a weeks time will answer a lot of questions, but we can't keep dictating games like we are and losing.

A hell of a lot of OTT comments on here, although the amount of defeats is quite glaring now. Again, we played ok, but in my opinion we don't create enough clear cut chances - and the ones we do, we seem to fluff. We're too predictable once we get into the final third, and whilst our defense is light years away from anything we had last year, it's our attack and lack of killer instinct which is really killing us right now.

2 huge games coming up.

This time in a weeks time will answer a lot of questions, but we can't keep dictating games like we are and losing.

Be a massive regression though this season and when you go to game after game it is very frustrating.

Be a massive regression though this season and when you go to game after game it is very frustrating.

Oh yeah, there's nothing worse than coming home every week on the back of this. Makes you feel pretty **** for most of the evening, but we've had it damn good for the last few years. We were due a year like this, let's be honest. We just need to make sure not too much damage is caused.

I personally wouldn't pull any trigger right now. It's Koeman's team, Koemans support staff and he's the one that can get them out of it.

First Palace goal was down to a poor pass out of defence by Yoshida his confidence must be shot to bits, our equaliser good effort by Martina saved by the keeper Rom knocked in the rebound. Their second I think Tadic thought it was going out for a goal kick Palace did not give it up and kept the ball in play Stek made a good save from the resulting shot ball went to Saha who was not picked up who made it 2-1 to Palace. Can't fault the effort but some poor finishing and defending cost us the game yet again.

Cheers.

More feedback from those that went to the game. Much more constructive!

2 huge games coming up.

And there is the rub. Time for the Koeman brothers to earn their corn.

Classie was our best player. Juanmi did well when he came on. Was good in the build up to our goal.

I keep thinking we will turn it around soon, but after today I am beginning to wonder when. Thanks for the feedback. You don't really get a proper feel for a game form a phone app.

Oh yeah, there's nothing worse than coming home every week on the back of this. Makes you feel pretty **** for most of the evening, but we've had it damn good for the last few years. We were due a year like this, let's be honest. We just need to make sure not too much damage is caused.

I personally wouldn't pull any trigger right now. It's Koeman's team, Koemans support staff and he's the one that can get them out of it.

It's very much been self-inflicted, so I can't put this down to having two good seasons previously and law of averages kicking in.

Koeman has already started to publicly position himself away from the blame here. He is as responsible as anyone else (and there are others who are responsible too). The moment you have a Manager who uses the media to absolve himself of blame then it's not good news. I gather this evening he has started to set expectations in the media that we may make signings.

It's very much been self-inflicted, so I can't put this down to having two good seasons previously and law of averages kicking in.

Koeman has already started to publicly position himself away from the blame here. He is as responsible as anyone else (and there are others who are responsible too). The moment you have a Manager who uses the media to absolve himself of blame then it's not good news. I gather this evening he has started to set expectations in the media that we may make signings.

He said earlier that we were looking to bring in a striker but wouldn't be drawn on a name.

Didn't Clasie lose the ball for the first goal and then fail to play a full game again?

Most be the most subbed central midfielder in England!

He probably has some way to go before he is subbed more than Lallana but it would be good to see him last 90 mins.

Saying it for ages, we lack width, pace & too many players are having shockers. Whole spine is worse now than last year.

Hopefully getting Forster back in the side will be the start of improved fortunes. Fonte, Tadic, Pelle have been poor thus season. Add in Clyne, Morgan & Toby leaving. Injuries to Jay Rod & Forster & you can understand why we are struggling.

I wouldn't spend £2m on Afobe let alone £10m. The winger Graham is better than him.

I keep thinking we will turn it around soon, but after today I am beginning to wonder when. Thanks for the feedback. You don't really get a proper feel for a game form a phone app.

Clasie had a Yoshida moment. Maybe these are terms you'll find easier to understand.

Alpine, I have never been fooled that it was anything ither than what you have stated. Of course I have taken a beating for this, but sometimes people don't like to hear what they don't want to hear.

But you've been saying this for season after season so eventually we are going to have a bad season and your constant relegation posts will have some merit. The three other premier league seasons you banged one about relegation when the club's aims was so much higher and achieved so your posts were ******.

PS it not the EPL as you refer to it as. There is no such thing.

The 5-3-2 line up was another aberration, we bored Palace to death in the centre of the field for twenty minutes, created a few half chances and then fell away. Davis gave the ball away and it ended up in our net. After that we were no real threat until half time.

Davis and Yoshida replaced by Juanmi and Tadic and playing 4-4-2 improved things and we were easily the best side in the second half. I can't remember the last time Stekelenberg has actually made a save. Target and Martina were decent the centre backs had no problems but Fonte was at fault for the second goal. He thought that the ball was rolling out so didn't even bother and let Puncheon chase it down and eventually Zaha unmarked on the far post smashed it in.

Clasie had a good game and Romeu had a really good game including scoring. Juanmi chased willingly but looks a long way off an international player whilst Tadic huffed and puffed but did little on the right where he is always too slow on his wrong side. Long and Mane worked hard but Mane was far too selfish at times running with the ball when a clear chance to play Long and Juanmi in was left far too long.

There was promise but with 4-4-2 not one of Koeman's favourite formations only when desperate, I presume we will be back to 4-2-3-1 on Wednesday. He missed a chance to give the goalscoring Seager a go he certainly would have been a better bet than Juanmi. If he brings back Davis on Wednesday his non goalscoring is hurting us badly. We need to dispense with the possession players and play four forwards because the tentative defensive formations aren't working.