SAINTS 1-2 Palace Post Match Meltdown.

nta786

Oh yeah, there's nothing worse than coming home every week on the back of this. Makes you feel pretty **** for most of the evening, but we've had it damn good for the last few years. We were due a year like this, let's be honest. We just need to make sure not too much damage is caused.

I personally wouldn't pull any trigger right now. It's Koeman's team, Koemans support staff and he's the one that can get them out of it.

Nor would I but I think board should have done more. Since picking up from Cortese they got a bit lucky last summer and thought it was easy this football business but they must be thinking now that it's tougher than they thought.

I was less than enthused when I saw how the team was set up for the first half but more optimistic with the changes at half time - but same old story. Not playing badly but cant put our chances away and give away soft goals. Good to hear that they are looking to bring in another striker but fear we need more than that to make the changes we need in the results. I was going to wait until after the next two games before I started to think about buying a rubber sheet but todays result would indicate that we have got ourselves into a certain rut. It is very frustrating because it seems as if we are not that far away from turning it around and it is almost as if we haven't got the belief to step it up.

The worm has turned.

I think Cortese was a nest horrid man but he did have his pulse on what we needed at certain times. Yes Osvaldo, gaston and forren were terrible but there are tons of successes he had including helping us getting promoted two leagues. He knew what was needed.

But you've been saying this for season after season so eventually we are going to have a bad season and your constant relegation posts will have some merit. The three other premier league seasons you banged one about relegation when the club's aims was so much higher and achieved so your posts were ******.

PS it not the EPL as you refer to it as. There is no such thing.

I expected a reply like this and of course there will be many others. I was bold enough to write about the dangers long before many and of course people will find that difficult to stomach so I suppose there will be many that still try and undermine my assertions.

I expected a reply like this and of course there will be many others. I was bold enough to write about the dangers long before many and of course people will find that difficult to stomach so I suppose there will be many that still try and undermine my assertions.

You know what you are.

Can't do much for their confidence when the first team are misfiring and they still can't get a go in a one-off match. I genuinely (but stupidly) thought he might give them a run-out, as I think Les Reed can't be pleased at the lack of game time they are getting.

(Information that has been passed on starts) Not just Les Reed. We are a club with multiple departments, all of which are talented in collating and reviewing information, and making recommendations based on that information. In the past, how much attention players pay to their reviews has been a good indicator to the expected level of future commitment (Lallana). At the moment, our reviews are pointing to a number of worrying factors. We are not playing to the clubs preferred formation, despite purchasing players identified as being able to do so. Our training regimes are very segregated, and our post match analysis software is pointing to mistakes being repeated time after time. The path from the youth team to the first has been apparently shut, and those parents who advised their children to choose SFC over other suitors for reasons of development and who were already angry being misled, are now furious over Koeman's public statement on the subject.

SFC is not an unfeeling corporate machine, and in times of goals aplenty and top eight places there is leeway on our methods, but given that most departments have voiced concerns over the direction and atmosphere of the first team, and those who are seemingly barred from joining it, adding to Koeman's unwillingness to commit and our horrific run of results (Information that has been passed on end)

I would not be surprised if anything less than 6 points in the next 2 games sees Ronald stay until the summer. I am waiting on confirmation, but i enquired as to whether feelers have been put out over a new manager as of yet.

Now will people wake up and realise we're heading for a relegation battle, or am I to be labelled a "bed wetter" again ??

Look at the 2 players Bournemouth have signed already this month, I can honestly see them finishing above us.

Why, when we know we have to strengthen, have we not got anyone in yet that could feature in the next 2 home games??

Has the black box broken down?? Well Les???????!

You were writing about the dangers in 2012, 2013, 2014 and what you were writing was sh1t. There was no danger.

Now will people wake up and realise we're heading for a relegation battle, or am I to be labelled a "bed wetter" again ??

Look at the 2 players Bournemouth have signed already this month, I can honestly see them finishing above us.

Why, when we know we have to strengthen, have we not got anyone in yet that could feature in the next 2 home games??

Has the black box broken down?? Well Les???????!

No, you are a realist. Some people are arriving late to the party, but the numbers are growing all the time. I am no longer on my own.

Feel sorry for reed and seager, both played well mid week and this is the sort of game where they should get a chance. Yet we have people just saying they're not good enough. Completely ignoring the fact the people getting game time instead are consistently useless!

Yes I fully agree.

With Jurgen KLOPP it is " Blame me, criticise me, NOT the players"

With Ronald Koeman it is "Blame the players, blame the Academy, blame the Board (well, somewhat in an inferring manner) blame everyone, everything BUT don't blame me"

Ever heard the expression, the meaning of DOUBLE DUTCH??? One only needs to refer to Ronald Koeman, Louis Van Gaal to understand how the expression came about. Both don't know or are incapable of making themselves understood. Hence why the results are far from what are desired by the supporters

Harry Redknapp went 11 games without a win, Yet we drew every game and got 11 points. It was considered a disastrous run, Yet Mr Koeman has got 6 points from his last 11games and we're playing well according to him.

Like most, I didn't watch the game, listened to Radio London commentary so can't comment on the game, the players, but I can express an opinion on the result, the tactics, selection and use of substitutions.Koeman once again didn't get it right, failed to play the likes of Seagar or Reed. How do we not know Seagar won't score if he's allowed to play for 45 minutes, That he hasn't an inborn nose for scoring.. Is 10 minutes end of match play in the past 2 seasons ample time for him to show what he can do.

What other clubs have a reserve player who scores regularly and is leading goal scorer, who's only ever been given 10 minutes action when a hf dozen so called goal scorers can't even put the ball in the back of the net game after game.?

If Koeman can't get wins and points in the next two games, it is well overdue the supporter base makes it known that the Board need to take action. If this is the case, by the time our next home game comes up after Arsenal and Man United, a protest or stay away needs to take place.

Anything is possible but if this is the case it will be past the transfer/loan window and leaves very little alternative.

The 5-3-2 line up was another aberration, we bored Palace to death in the centre of the field for twenty minutes, created a few half chances and then fell away. Davis gave the ball away and it ended up in our net. After that we were no real threat until half time.

It was Clasie. I know its hard to tell them apart from a distance.

I think Cortese was a nest horrid man but he did have his pulse on what we needed at certain times.

Yes Osvaldo, gaston and forren were terrible but there are tons of successes he had including helping us getting promoted two leagues.

He knew what was needed.

.......and Mayuka? , and Guly? and Papa Waigo? do you remember them also ?

Cortese did a good job at re-organising the club's admionistration.....but he should have left buying new players to a " football person " who knew the game, instead of being influenced to spend millions on the above from his Swiss / Italian " friends " ......who made him offers he never refused.

As for the successes, the bulk of the team that got us from L1 and back up to the Prem. were bought for " peanuts " in the UK ....compared with the millions he spent in Italy.

No, you are a realist. Some people are arriving late to the party, but the numbers are growing all the time. I am no longer on my own.

I have to add that I take no pleasure in being realistic, I just can't see anything changing for the positive anytime soon. Really fancied a decent cup run as well....

And to make things worse, i cant even drown my sorrows in booze as I've given it up for January! My life is so shi@te!!

Welp, we should be happy that there are no further distractions so we can concentrate on the league.

We 'should' be happy.

Thankfully, barring a dramatic change, Villa are out of the running now so we only need to be better than two other teams in the PL. anyone fancy the odds on that?

This season is becoming ridiculous.

(Information that has been passed on starts) Not just Les Reed. We are a club with multiple departments, all of which are talented in collating and reviewing information, and making recommendations based on that information. In the past, how much attention players pay to their reviews has been a good indicator to the expected level of future commitment (Lallana). At the moment, our reviews are pointing to a number of worrying factors. We are not playing to the clubs preferred formation, despite purchasing players identified as being able to do so. Our training regimes are very segregated, and our post match analysis software is pointing to mistakes being repeated time after time. The path from the youth team to the first has been apparently shut, and those parents who advised their children to choose SFC over other suitors for reasons of development and who were already angry being misled, are now furious over Koeman's public statement on the subject.

SFC is not an unfeeling corporate machine, and in times of goals aplenty and top eight places there is leeway on our methods, but given that most departments have voiced concerns over the direction and atmosphere of the first team, and those who are seemingly barred from joining it, adding to Koeman's unwillingness to commit and our horrific run of results (Information that has been passed on end)

I would not be surprised if anything less than 6 points in the next 2 games sees Ronald stay until the summer. I am waiting on confirmation, but i enquired as to whether feelers have been put out over a new manager as of yet.

Out of interest what is the preferred core formation for the club?

Cortese did a good job at re-organising the club's admionistration.....but he should have left buying new players to a " football person " who knew the game, instead of being influenced to spend millions on the above from his Swiss / Italian " friends " ......who made him offers he never refused.

Guly was fine in L1 and the Championship.

As for the successes, the bulk of the team that got us from L1 and back up to the Prem. were bought for " peanuts " in the UK ....compared with the millions he spent in Italy.

Guly made 103 appearances for SFC.

It was Clasie. I know its hard to tell them apart from a distance.

I'll have to watch the video but it was up the other end and I didn't see exactly who it was but the mate next to me said it was definitely Davis.

A combination of poor finishing and a couple of defensive lapses did for us. Other teams we have played recently capitalise on those defensive errors and punish us, but we lack the attacking players to capitalise on the opportunities that present themselves to us. They scored from our goalkeeper's save when the ball came out to their player, but our strikers did not have the awareness or the quickness of thought to position themselves for the chance that we could have scored from when Hennessey spilled the ball.

Despite criticism of our starting formation, it was brought about by Bertrand's illness and unavailability and it was very effective until a defensive lapse was pounced upon. But what chance do we have as a team when we are without the likes of Bertrand, Pelle and Wanyama? Bertrand was one player absence too much, and although Targett acquitted himself well enough, he does not carry the speed and crossing ability of Bertrand.

Personally though, I wouldn't be too upset if I don't ever see Yoshida in a Saints shirt again.

What also annoys the hell out of me is that when we are chasing the game, we faff about passing the ball around the back instead of launching it up-field with some sense of urgency. By the time we have passed it ponderously towards the last third, if we have not lost possession on the way there, the entire rival defence is organised and poised to frustrate our attempts to pass the ball into the net. Tadic's introduction was very effective at getting the ball behind their defence, but boy, is he annoying when it comes to what to do with it when he is there. The number of miss-hit shots, miss-placed passes and poor decision-making generally was both exasperating and frustrating.

What is Juanmi for? What has he ever done to change a game like this in our favour?

We had forged enough chances to have won the game by scoring 2 or 3 more goals had we possessed players capable of capitalising on those chances we created. Apart from the notable player absences, we could have done with a GK of Hennessey's capabilities instead of Stekelenberg and a half-decent referee would have helped too. As soon as I saw that it was Lee Mason, I knew that we would be treated to his usual p*ss-poor incompetence and he didn't disappoint. Him, Friend and Moss have to be the absolute worst referees in the past decade.

If we can't turn things around when Forster, Pelle, Bertrand and Wanyame are all on the pitch, then are deep in the sh*t. I'm not holding out much hope at all that we will see Rodriguez again this season, or that even if we do, he will be anywhere near the player he used to be.

What did Guly do wrong? Mayuka was a punt on potential that, fair, did not come off at all. Waigo was a loan, no harm no foul.

Not saying the little Italian was perfect just don't think those are sticks to beat him with.

we can't keep dictating games like we are and losing.

Can you really be said to dictate games in which you fail to create more than 1 or 2 meaningful chances? Only listened to this game, so perhaps our 5 shots on target were all going in barring exceptional saves from Hennessey, but in general, over this poor run of games (and further back in fact, a few unrepresentative results aside) we've been toothless in attack and created mostly half chances snatched at by players not renowned for the efficiency of their finishing. Dictating possession without laying a glove on the opposition is the very definition of propaganda football.

Sounds like Ron is a dead man walking

papa Waigo was a loan and did ok in league 1 he had served his purpose

Guly did really well for us in the championship and helped us get up probably wasn't up to it in the premier but was a good enough in the championship all the years under Cortese took us upwards his reign saw many good players join too such as lambert fonte Hammond Clyne Rodriquez Davies etc these successes far outweighed the failures he also appointed Pardew Adkins and Mopo who each played a key part in our superb rise and developed what we had in our academy he also knew when to to change managers before they ran out of steam

Despite his many shortcomings Cortese knew how to run a football club successfully

Has it been the same since

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

RK will be here till the summer at most. No way beyond that unless a great deal changes

I can see him gone by next sunday if we dont get at least 4 points next week

Guly and papa waigo were successes.

Jesus Christ, you're actually pleased that we're struggling, just so you can say told you so. Two things, one, even a stopped clock is right twice a day and two you're a bellend

Anyone who went/watched the game have any feedback on the performance? Sounds like we were unlucky to lose but gave away two p!ss poor goals.

Mood has been improved by the news that my dad has lost his wallet containing both our season tickets. Excellent.

When you've lost 8 in 10 luck has nothing to do with it. We simply are not good enough and look at the teams we've struggled against. I had absolutely no idea why koeman decided on 5 at the back at home. Why play target as a wingback when he has absolutely no pace and can't cross a football. The atmosphere was pants today too but the team need to earn the atmosphere. I reckon koemans given the board an ultimatum and has basically said that youngsters are not good enough so he wants funds. The board probably wants the kids to play. Its just a complete mess and can't see it getting any better.

Looking at this game in isolation I thought we played pretty well. I thought the five at the back worked to nullify Palace and get some of our players into space. We dominated and look very comfortable.

The goal conceded was terrible. Davis under hit a pass through the wet conditions a minute or so earlier, so we knew he had to make sure. Romeu got caught in exactly the same position shortly before, so we had been fully warned. Very bad mistake then by Classie or was it Davis I couldn't see.

I thought the change in formation and personnel helped open them up a little and we deserved the equaliser. But once again we shot ourselves in the foot. We didn't react to the ball quite clearly not going out of play, Tadic let Puncheon waltz past him and it was a poor save.

I thought the work rate was good, we created enough to equalise. Hennessy saved well twice, although I thought Juanmi should have buried his chance.

I'm very disappointed to go out of the cup. A football club will never get a better chance to win it than when the are a prem side, but yet again we fail. Having said that I wasn't overly disappointed with the effort we put in. We need to start taking chances.

Edited by Chez

Why are we playing the same dross week in week out? why isn't the youth being given a chance?

Why did we not sign another striker at the start of the season? as we rely far to much on Pelle and he was massively overplayed last season....

Why do we keep tinkering with the formation? no wonder we are playing c**p there is no consistency in the style we play, playing players out of position pure stupidity.

Why do we continue to try and keep hold of players that do not want to be here? get the highest amount of money we can and ship them out! surely having them hang around where there heads are elsewhere is bad for dressing room / team morale. If they want out get rid and move on! or get tough and let them rough it out in the reserves!

Why are we not strengthening? every season we continue to sell quality and replace with cheap bargain basement in a attempt to replicate the same way of playing on a budget this is our undoing we need players with proven premiership experience why didn't we sign Austin?

Why can't we be bothered with competitions? Europe? we spend all that hard work getting there for what field a weak team and put in a weak performance.

These questions need to be answered, tactically Koeman has lost the plot.....

Thanks for insight and it is important to remember that although these things you have mentioned indicate it's Koemans fault, it's important to remember that he had his best 3 players sold in the summer. Toby is the best CB in prem, Morgan is as good as anyone in his position and so is Clyne. The season before chambers was sold, lambert, Shaw, lallana and Lovren. The head of recruitment left last season who brought in Toby, Pelle, tadic and mane. The u21s and u18s aren't setting the world alight. Gallagher could get hardly a game and 0 goals at mk Dons. Yes Koeman has made mistakes with formation and playing certain players either out of position or not at all and formations but I feel the board should take the blame for most of this. Look at the ambition the cherries are showing. Katrina is richer by a distance than their owner. I can only conclude that the board thought they could sell and make a profit and still increase value of club. They are like many owners in the past learning fast that if you stand still or regress in our case you will get a harsh taste of reality.

Jesus Christ, you're actually pleased that we're struggling, just so you can say told you so. Two things, one, even a stopped clock is right twice a day and two you're a bellend

This - his post count after wins compared to defeats is telling. You would have thought he would be quite content this evening having posted numerous times how he hoped we would get knocked out.

First Palace goal was down to a poor pass out of defence by Yoshida his confidence must be shot to bits, our equaliser good effort by Martina saved by the keeper Rom knocked in the rebound. Their second I think Tadic thought it was going out for a goal kick Palace did not give it up and kept the ball in play Stek made a good save from the resulting shot ball went to Saha who was not picked up who made it 2-1 to Palace. Can't fault the effort but some poor finishing and defending cost us the game yet again.

Their second goal was 2 errors. Firstly Tadic dived in and allowed Puncheon to cut inside and shoot. The second mistake was with Stekelenberg either not pushing the ball over the bar, or at more of an angle to the side.

We were ok today. Dominated possession until Yoshida gifted the ball to Puncheon in a dangerous area and then once we'd made changes at half time we caused them quite a few problems. Stek had no more saves to make whereas Hennessey made 2 or 3 excellent stops.

Interesting read. Been wondering about the discrepancies between what we were told(formation/youth etc) was the plan and what was occurring.

I do wonder if Cortese was still in charge would Koeman have been sacked instantly for deliberately trying to damage the club by savagely attacking the club's academy to try and preserve his own reputation. Also wonder how much damage those comments have done in terms of future recruitment.

Personally the things i dislike (attitude to youth/tactics etc) have been building and overwhelming the bank of goodwill based on last seasons performance. I'd started hoping we'd stumble along till the summer but if he's given the funds to squander on over priced players in January that would likely negatively affect the funds available in the summer and likely leave us encumbered with dross? Even if i didn't feel that way does Koeman really act like a man that wants to be at Saints for the long run? In hindsight it is a shame Holland didn't take him when they failed to qualify for the euros.