SAINTS 1-2 Palace Post Match Meltdown.

nta786

I can accept that the current crop of u21s may not be good enough whether that includes Gallagher, McQueen whoever but reports that Koeman basically gives no encouragement to them, does not let them train with the first teamers and is not prepared to give them any game time in the Prem or the Cups is a real worry. Koeman is an intelligent man so his approach to the clubs academy players is bizarre- these guys need encouragement not the cold shoulder no matter how low the manager may think of them. Perhaps unhappiness and discord at Staplewood is one reason we seem to have gone into free fall recently?

Why would he give them game time if he doesn't think they are good enough to help the team win?

Its easy to pick Shaw or Chambers but Pochettino didn't give Gape or McQueen a start or barely any minutes, ditto Isgrove.

Why? Because they weren't good enough.

Barely any PL Manager plays U21s unless they are good enough - exactly how it should be.

First Palace goal was down to a poor pass out of defence by Yoshida his confidence must be shot to bits, our equaliser good effort by Martina saved by the keeper Rom knocked in the rebound. Their second I think Tadic thought it was going out for a goal kick Palace did not give it up and kept the ball in play Stek made a good save from the resulting shot ball went to Saha who was not picked up who made it 2-1 to Palace. Can't fault the effort but some poor finishing and defending cost us the game yet again.

Yep, Yoshida didn't look at all confident throughout the half he played; hesitant, playing only the simplest of passes and complaining he had no one to pass to (well, I suppose not with his accuracy..). He's now given away three goals this season, so perhaps it's time for a youngster?

The second I was already shouting at the defence to keep switched on, and I can't help thinking Forster would have got a stronger hand on the save to put it out of the way of the oncoming attacker. Positives were the effort Mane put in (decision making..hmm) and some of the forward passing of Clasie. It was also good to see Romeu trying a shot from outside the box (deflected behind for a corner).

Think roko has realised how good/hard epl is, in holland bringing u21s in 1st team id imagine isnt a massive step, similar to us in league1/championship but now how much epl is evolving he feels he has to spend and probably big, i agree most if not all u21s arnt good enough but however they should be training with 1st team and maybe seager and reed shouldve been given a bit of gametime, i do now think he may have crossed line with his comments and with his bizarre tactics/subs starting back at mitjyland away, we are such a soft touch and generally awful 2nd half, this can only be down to koeman, his coaching staff and fitness staff. The Squad we have on top form round pegs in round holes should be challenging for 6th but forces at work behind scenes are dragging them down

The path hasn't been shut, RK has just pointed out what many people already know that the latest batch are not good enough. He wants there to be no doubt that he is not scared to play young players, but he will only do so if they are good enough. And they aren't.

I have to say that the media have jumped on this and looks like a lot of people have lapped up their message and seen it as a terrible and unjustified criticism of the academy. I think even the staff know that this generation isn't of the best and I'd welcome Guan's view on that. I actually watch the U21s on youtube occasionally and think that my stance would be roughly in agreement but that we need occasionally to take a risk. For example Targett may not be at the same level as Bertrand particularly for attacking, but he hasn't disgraced himself and his appearance doesn't induce a 'Danny Fox' or 'LeeTodd groan'.. So, yes, a short spell for Seager or Gallagher (when he regains his coordination!) might be useful, if only for showing them the level they have to achieve.

First Palace goal was down to a poor pass out of defence by Yoshida his confidence must be shot to bits, our equaliser good effort by Martina saved by the keeper Rom knocked in the rebound. Their second I think Tadic thought it was going out for a goal kick Palace did not give it up and kept the ball in play Stek made a good save from the resulting shot ball went to Saha who was not picked up who made it 2-1 to Palace. Can't fault the effort but some poor finishing and defending cost us the game yet again.

Blimey, just seen the highlights - first goal was 100% down to Davis' failure of composure and technique. All he was trying to do was play a very simple wall pass back to Yoshida under a modicum of pressure, but he messed it up completely and managed to put Puncheon through on goal from inside the Crystal Palace half! (As others have noted, pretty much a carbon copy of his mistake against Spurs a few games ago).

I think it's almost a certainty that had any other player in the squad made that same error, there would be threads calling for a lynching, but once again our plucky midfield general gets a mystifying pass.

Why would he give them game time if he doesn't think they are good enough to help the team win?

Its easy to pick Shaw or Chambers but Pochettino didn't give Gape or McQueen a start or barely any minutes, ditto Isgrove.

Why? Because they weren't good enough.

Barely any PL Manager plays U21s unless they are good enough - exactly how it should be.

I am not saying they should be given game time - yes you are probably right they are not good enough, but that does not excuse RK's treatment of them by ignoring them etc etc at Staplewood. They should be given encouragement to improve so at the very least they could be sold to lower-league teams for decent fees. Koeman has turned his back on them by all accounts and that does no one any good.

I have to say that the media have jumped on this and looks like a lot of people have lapped up their message and seen it as a terrible and unjustified criticism of the academy. I think even the staff know that this generation isn't of the best and I'd welcome Guan's view on that. I actually watch the U21s on youtube occasionally and think that my stance would be roughly in agreement but that we need occasionally to take a risk. For example Targett may not be at the same level as Bertrand particularly for attacking, but he hasn't disgraced himself and his appearance doesn't induce a 'Danny Fox' or 'LeeTodd groan'.. So, yes, a short spell for Seager or Gallagher (when he regains his coordination!) might be useful, if only for showing them the level they have to achieve.

You not read Guans post on it yet ?

Blimey, just seen the highlights - first goal was 100% down to Davis' failure of composure and technique. All he was trying to do was play a very simple wall pass back to Yoshida under a modicum of pressure, but he messed it up completely and managed to put Puncheon through on goal from inside the Crystal Palace half! (As others have noted, pretty much a carbon copy of his mistake against Spurs a few games ago).

I think it's almost a certainty that had any other player in the squad made that same error, there would be threads calling for a lynching, but once again our plucky midfield general gets a mystifying pass.

Ohh look who's back.

Bad luck for Cork junior, that looked like a foul in the run up for Oxford's 3rd...

...but that we need occasionally to take a risk. For example Targett may not be at the same level as Bertrand particularly for attacking, but he hasn't disgraced himself and his appearance doesn't induce a 'Danny Fox' or 'LeeTodd groan'..

At the moment it almost does from me...

We have taken a huge risk with Targett. We didn't sign a left back even though we knew Bertand was going to be out for a while, and IMO it backfired massively. Targett was a liability at the start of the season. He was incredibly weak and having him in the side totally unsettled the back four, had players covering his inadequacies and IMO cost us points. Thank god Bertrand got back reasonably soon.

People are massively overgenerous with Targett,because he is young and has come through the academy. If we had spent transfer money on him, which as the youth development costs £2m is it a year supposedly, means we actually have, then he'd be slated right left and centre.

IMO he is not ready yet and needs a season in the championship to toughen him up.

Sue, it seems Guan is a mere conduit for someone inside the club. Saints' Deep Throat.

Watched a weakened Leicester side today who were very unlucky to only draw against Spurs. I saw much to be admired in them and a lot of that used to apply to us. They were on their toes for the whole game, not one of them stopped moving and to a man they knew their exact jobs. They chased and harried, hassled and closed down for the whole game and never once let up the tempo. They intercepted, tackled broke quickly and with numbers in support. They got forward quickly and then regrouped and held their shape when Spurs had the ball. They must be around 30% fitter than our players and that's being kind to our plodders. The only thing that stopped them achieving a deserved victory was a quite ludicrous penalty given to Spurs in the dying minutes for an accidental handball by Nathan Dyer who clearly had no idea where the ball was when it brushed his had without even diverting it from its natural course. As I say, so much to admire and many of the qualities we showed until recently. How far we have fallen below those standards and I accept we lost some very good players but it's the complete lack of energy, pressing, organisation and spirit that is hard to accept. Much can be accomplished with a fit, committed and well drilled squad of lower standard players - Strachan did it, Pochetino did it but I'm not sure the current coaching staff buy into this method. I think laziness has crept back into the camp and there can be no excuses for that when one considers how much players and coaches earn these days. Saints are hard to watch and get enthused about now I'm afraid.

Leicester work hard but I never want to see a Saints team habitually surrender possession and hope to get a lucky goal on the break. That's what they do, week-in, week-out. Because the Premier League is so poor they are getting away with it at the moment but they won't achieve anything at all.

Watched a weakened Leicester side today who were very unlucky to only draw against Spurs. I saw much to be admired in them and a lot of that used to apply to us. They were on their toes for the whole game, not one of them stopped moving and to a man they knew their exact jobs. They chased and harried, hassled and closed down for the whole game and never once let up the tempo. They intercepted, tackled broke quickly and with numbers in support. They got forward quickly and then regrouped and held their shape when Spurs had the ball. They must be around 30% fitter than our players and that's being kind to our plodders. The only thing that stopped them achieving a deserved victory was a quite ludicrous penalty given to Spurs in the dying minutes for an accidental handball by Nathan Dyer who clearly had no idea where the ball was when it brushed his had without even diverting it from its natural course. As I say, so much to admire and many of the qualities we showed until recently. How far we have fallen below those standards and I accept we lost some very good players but it's the complete lack of energy, pressing, organisation and spirit that is hard to accept. Much can be accomplished with a fit, committed and well drilled squad of lower standard players - Strachan did it, Pochetino did it but I'm not sure the current coaching staff buy into this method. I think laziness has crept back into the camp and there can be no excuses for that when one considers how much players and coaches earn these days. Saints are hard to watch and get enthused about now I'm afraid.

Fully agree. What a ridiculous penalty decision by the referee.

I never went away. Oddly enough, you're the one who only ever seems to appear when Davis' name is taken in vain...

:lol: Our pet Davis hater, hardly ever posts anything except to have a go, usually unwarranted, about SD.

Must say I agree with him on this occasion though, shocking lack of control by Davis, though it was also a bad pass by Yoshida. Unfortunately the radio commentary said it was Clasie at the time. As it turned out though of course the goal was ultimately not our undoing.

The first pass from Yoshida to Davis should have been played to Target who was making a run up the left you could see Target having a go at Yoshida over it.

Laziness due to complacency from the whole club and indeed some of the fan base.

Agree with this. But the worst thing is the distinct lack of morale and team-ness. They look like a bunch of individuals who don't give a toss for each other.

Targett is so shockingly adrift it's laughable. In that period of okay play in the first half we had two corners which he blasted straight into touch. Unforgivable. His positional awareness was atrocious and he was skinned a lot. Was this Koeman's way of showing that the academy are way off? If so it's cynical and another reason why he's lost it.

Long was appalling, but not served well. Mane never shoots but at least looked a threat. Yoshida is not up to it at all. VVD was excellent, and hard to beat in the air. Clasie was a bit too neat and namby pamby for this league. I'm guessing Wanyama not being near the team means he's off. Ward Prowse showed the kind of delivery, for once, that we are missing, with some pin-point corners and a free kick which was saved by their (excellent) keeper. And at least we had a bit of zip for the last 10. But why so late? Why such a weird selection? Why is there so much lacking in team spirit and atmosphere? Even the goalies warming up before the game all looked like they couldn't wait to get home for their supper. And Stekkers seems a bit of an invisible keeper to me.

All in all, it was a depressing afternoon in the rain. Is Koeman now hoping to get sacked? Why else is this clearly good manager getting it all so wrong and being upstaged by Pardew? Or is this what happens? We lure good managers who are beyond our payscale and get so frustrated by our position that they agitate for a move to a new club where they can perform (Poch). It feels like a pattern, as some of us were moaning about Poch's lack of plan b when that got similarly dreary. And look at him now. (sort of)

I took my 9 year old boy yesterday and his mate and they were puzzled why we can't play like we do against big teams against the smaller ones. I had no answer.

Wanyama was not near the team because he's suspended for two games.

The first pass from Yoshida to Davis should have been played to Target who was making a run up the left you could see Target having a go at Yoshida over it.

Everybody tried playing passes to Targett, but he couldn't control any of them, so they gave up on him in the end. You could see players moving to the left, seeing there was only Targett there, and then drifting back into the centre again, because they didn't want to waste possession. Targett does not have good enough pace or ball control to operate down the flank at this level. He's not very good at defending either. Do you think any other team in the Premier league would consider playing him?

Everybody tried playing passes to Targett, but he couldn't control any of them, so they gave up on him in the end. You could see players moving to the left, seeing there was only Targett there, and then drifting back into the centre again, because they didn't want to waste possession. Targett does not have good enough pace or ball control to operate down the flank at this level. He's not very good at defending either. Do you think any other team in the Premier league would consider playing him?

He wasn't the only one who played badly but if you watch his actions for their second goal you'll see him watch the shot, watch the save, watch the ball loop over his head and then watch Zaha score the goal. He needs to concentrate on where the opposition player is and not the ball. If he had stuck like glue to Zaha then he might have prevented the goal. But as I said, it wasn't just him. For their first goal Ward outraced all our defenders to get on the end of Puncheon's pass.

Yep.

If the board dont make a change, either invest in some decent players or change the manager, we will know we are at the level they have been aiming for. Which is back to the Alan Ball / Dave Jones type of seasons - scrap through and keep the PL place to keep the revenue coming.

I dread to think where we will be after the summers transfer activity...

Strange you give poch so much credit when koeman had to effectivly construct a new team

Sent from my GT-S5301 using Tapatalk

Feel sorry for reed and seager, both played well mid week and this is the sort of game where they should get a chance. Yet we have people just saying they're not good enough. Completely ignoring the fact the people getting game time instead are consistently useless!

disagree sorry. had he played two young, unexperienced players just a few days after playing them mid-week, we'd be saying that it was a ridiculous decision and he needs to rest them and break them in easy.

there is no reason whatsoever that the current players can't pick themselves up. to say that they 'need time on the bench' to somehow mentally turn around 360 deg. is just not true. ultimately, they are as likely to have a good game as the youth prospects right now, if not a better chance. the funny thing is we are playing alright in a majority of the last 8 that we've lost. watched maybe 5-6 of those games and was reasonably happy.

the bottom line is that we aren't bad, we just don't score (among other well documented issues in the team, like CM/RB/GK replacements) . are reed and seager able to play at that level (fairly alright/not bad) and also contribute what we are really missing - GOALS ? I actually don't think so. they are at best able to compete with our current 11 on form and having a good innings. but they aren't match winners and that's what we're desperate for

I like academy prospects. and I'm more positive than other saints fans maybe about the moment. as has been posted elsewhere by someone (can't remember where), we have produced very good players which could be playing for us now (shaw, chambers, even lets be honest the Ox or bale though they are rare) were it not for the fact they are so good, they move on. So our academy is fine, and producing players of an age that could play for us right now. it's just not producing a lot of mid-table players that would stick around, fill the squad etc.

Edited by eddie

Koeman was at the midweek U21 game!....not sure how many so far he has attended but no doubt he was checking on Fraser and hoping there might be be an u**** diamond amongst the current crop of U21's.

Now i'm as hard core Saints as it gets but i'm honest enough to see and say we do not have anyone who could make a difference to the first team. Young Harrison Read and Matt Target are the only ones that i would consider as possible first team squad players.

We need to buy a quality striker because i honestly cannot see Seager or Gallagher making the step up and those shouting their names for them to play i can only assume have not seen them play and shout out of desperation.

I cant believe that Koeman would delibaretly ignore the U21 setup but rather he has seen whats on offer at present and is honest enough to say the conveyor belt has stopped.....at this present time.

Interesting points, but we mustn't forget that many stars of the past have taken longer to become quality players. Philips comes to mind. Time is not on our side for our present needs, but have we become impatient?

I agree it is worrying if developmental links between U21's and first team are not happening.

Also, do we now have the best coaches in the development squads since Dodd left?

Koeman was at the midweek U21 game!....not sure how many so far he has attended but no doubt he was checking on Fraser and hoping there might be be an u**** diamond amongst the current crop of U21's.

Now i'm as hard core Saints as it gets but i'm honest enough to see and say we do not have anyone who could make a difference to the first team. Young Harrison Read and Matt Target are the only ones that i would consider as possible first team squad players.

We need to buy a quality striker because i honestly cannot see Seager or Gallagher making the step up and those shouting their names for them to play i can only assume have not seen them play and shout out of desperation.

I cant believe that Koeman would delibaretly ignore the U21 setup but rather he has seen whats on offer at present and is honest enough to say the conveyor belt has stopped.....at this present time.

I've been querying the lack of chances for Seager because we aren't taking our chances. We have a bunch of players that need say ten attempts to end up with scoring which isn't good enough. What I do know there is a vast difference between players that can score some goals and a specialist that is a natural goal scorer. I would go with a goal sniffer every day of the week. They make the runs in the box, rarely stop moving and are usually way ahead of the defenders when the final chance appears and ends up in the net.

The sniffer seems to have loads of time and everything is in slow motion but lightning quick in it's execution whilst the ten chances a goal man is always rushing, stretching or just late. Seager looks like a goal scorer, seven in seven for the U21's and like Austin nearly always hits the target. Against Chelsea he scored going round the keeper but the question asked by the Chelsea defenders could well be 'where did he come from', it's what goal sniffers do, they lose their markers. They also seem to get goals at whatever level they play. We missed Austin in the Wessex, Howe spotted him and because of an embargo Wilson signed him, he scored goals for Swindon, Burnley and QPR in all the leagues. Don't ask him to create he scores, that's it, what we need.

Don't ask him to hold play up or work his socks off, it should be keep getting in the box and take some chances. Putting JWP on instead of Seager on Saturday was crass.

Edited by derry

Another bad result at the weekend but by all accounts we didn't shame ourselves.

Problem at the moment is that we are in the habit of losing games as a result of costly errors. Once you get into a rut it is hard to get out of it.

I'm just looking forward to Forster and Rodriguez coming back some time before the end of the season, along with a fit-again Pelle. Hopefully we can get one or two new faces in to liven things up and get things moving in the right direction.

Havent read the full thread, but where was Bertrand on Sat? His crosses would've at least beat the first man... Martina put in a few dangerous balls from the right but Targett on the left was quite suspect with his crossing. Very unlucky though not to get a foul when he outpaced Zaha only to be 'slingshotted' back by Zaha pulling his arm. What the hell was that non-decision all about?!?!

Referee had an absolute shocker!

I

I've been querying the lack of chances for Seager because we aren't taking our chances. We have a bunch of players that need say ten attempts to end up with scoring which isn't good enough. What I do know there is a vast difference between players that can score some goals and a specialist that is a natural goal scorer. I would go with a goal sniffer every day of the week. They make the runs in the box, rarely stop moving and are usually way ahead of the defenders when the final chance appears and ends up in the net.

The sniffer seems to have loads of time and everything is in slow motion but lightning quick in it's execution whilst the ten chances a goal man is always rushing, stretching or just late. Seager looks like a goal scorer, seven in seven for the U21's and like Austin nearly always hits the target. Against Chelsea he scored going round the keeper but the question asked by the Chelsea defenders could well be 'where did he come from', it's what goal sniffers do, they lose their markers. They also seem to get goals at whatever level they play. We missed Austin in the Wessex, Howe spotted him and because of an embargo Wilson signed him, he scored goals for Swindon, Burnley and QPR in all the leagues. Don't ask him to create he scores, that's it, what we need.

Don't ask him to hold play up or work his socks off, it should be keep getting in the box and take some chances. Putting JWP on instead of Seager on Saturday was crass.

Damn good post....

This where Koeman is weak... He cannot see this symptoms and cannot evidently as he doesn't see things clearly he cannot coach them iether.....

Hence we will be back to Pelle who is starting to making SRL look world class...

We have midfielders who never make runs beyond the forwards etc etc etc..... Koeman cannot coach...

Personally I think there is room for a player without the best technical skills but with the work rate and ability to win the ball back, which is why I liked Cork so much. I don't rate Reed anywhere near his level. Id have given Reed some playing time,off the bench based on what he did last year, but if he has receded as has been described of his displays in the under 21s then RK perhaps doesn't have a choice.

Targett really is that bad at the moment. Slow, weak, totally one footed and not that great with it. He is gormless. Add to that The number of times he got forward today only to hit his cross straight at the first defender defied even my worst expectations. Would he get in any championship side? He needs toughening up. A season out on loan not our reserve left back. Appalling squad management. He cost us points earlier in the season in my opinion.

Generally you say a lot of very sensible things. The problem for me is that while each makes good sense on its own, collectively they don't seem to convey an opinion on what is wrong overall, or where you think the blame lies. Maybe you don't think blame can be allocated. Maybe you think there's nothing can be done to turn this dreadful run around. Maybe you think that we are good enough and things will just turn around as a natural course. The highlighted comment however seems to suggest you have a considered view on the overall situation and where the blame might lie, and perhaps what ought to happen next.

Would you like to share it? Genuinely, I'd really like to hear it. Maybe you have and I've missed it.

I

Damn good post....

This where Koeman is weak... He cannot see this symptoms and cannot evidently as he doesn't see things clearly he cannot coach them iether.....

Hence we will be back to Pelle who is starting to making SRL look world class...

We have midfielders who never make runs beyond the forwards etc etc etc..... Koeman cannot coach...

In which case we don't have to worry losing him to the Dutch National side, Chelsea or Manchester United then.

We've been round this logic before. We might have drawn Stoke but we shall never know, and to be honest it doesn't really matter. Let's just say that if you changed one of the names you'd have to hold the draw again and wouldn't expect the same outcome. Either way, were out of it and it's time to forget it all and move on to the next.

We've been round this logic before. We might have drawn Stoke but we shall never know, and to be honest it doesn't really matter. Let's just say that if you changed one of the names you'd have to hold the draw again and wouldn't expect the same outcome. Either way, were out of it and it's time to forget it all and move on to the next.

teams aren't assigned random numbers anymore, it's all to do with the tie number we were drawn the previous round, so it would have been 21 vs 26 in the 4th round regardless of the teams.