Poortvillet's Verdict

alpine_saint

JP has clarified the Andrew Davies Situation on the OS

I wonder what is really going on with all this transfer stuff. Before anyone has a pop, I do understand we have no money but at least bring JP in on the loop re his squad. It is quiote clear he did not know the score and has now been embarrassed into this form of clarification. I hope someone has told him about the other players being offered around by their agents. Although I am not a great lover of agents I don't believe for one minute that Davies agent needed much encouragement. I know what I would do if it was made obvious that I was not wanted regardless of my own wishes to get back from injury.

Let us hope Surman is a false rumour that JP can be in a position to deny if he is made aware of the true situation.

I wonder what is really going on with all this transfer stuff. Before anyone has a pop, I do understand we have no money but at least bring JP in on the loop re his squad. It is quiote clear he did not know the score and has now been embarrassed into this form of clarification. I hope someone has told him about the other players being offered around by their agents. Although I am not a great lover of agents I don't believe for one minute that Davies agent needed much encouragement. I know what I would do if it was made obvious that I was not wanted regardless of my own wishes to get back from injury.

Let us hope Surman is a false rumour that JP can be in a position to deny if he is made aware of the true situation.

I cannot believe that JP did not know Stoke were interested in Davies everybody in Southampton did but he will not know the exact situation every minute of the day..

I think he was being honest by saying he did not know exactly where the negoations were English is only his second language and he must struggle at times to get of his thoughts correctly in English.

I also take more notice of things Posted on the OS than conspiracy theories and rumours posted on this site

Edited by John B

I cannot believe that JP did not know Stoke were interested in Davies everybody in Southampton did but he will not know the exact situation every minute of the day..

I think he was being honest by saying he did not know exactly where the negoations were English is only his second language and he must struggle at times to get of his thoughts correctly in English.

I also take more notice of things Posted on the OS than conspiracy theories and rumours posted on this site

You really are missing out on life if you do not go with some of the rumours on here. Anyway lets get back to the football as we might need some more players on Saturday. I hope JP can count.

I thought what he said was spot on, but then I went to the game with an open mind and open eyes, which seems to be becoming a rarity on here...

Maybe if all those people who are with-holding funds from Lowe would just like to club together and buy Ronaldinho for us we'd be fine...

We had a whip round in the pub during bingo and an agent has got him for us in a double deal with an ex Saint called Ali Dia and both will be arriving on Friday after the takeover and we has been told both will fit our yuf policy.

Are you ITK ;)

Not me, but the old dear that runs the bingo is definitely is. She used to go out with Alf Ramsey and has retained a grasp of everthing Saints.

She also told me she knows a bloke called George WEAH and passed on some of his info to Graham Souness when he popped in for a game of Bingo.

She also said she would like to get into some of our Yuf and show them some real formations.

JP has clarified the Andrew Davies Situation on the OS

Did it sound to anyone else that, that article was complete BS? From the interview yesterday over Davies JP clearly knew nothing of the transfer in fact saying he knew "nothing" about it 2 seperate occassions! Just fecks me off that the club feel the need to lie over it and accredit quotes to him.

As others have said the bench options were terrible, Thomson to my mind isn't really ready yet and I think Gillet looked like he needed subbing after 70 mins so why no Wotton?! Without being ready to slit my wrists over it as we did play very well for 70% of the game, his lack of subs and seemingly no plan B is a bit disconcerting.

Whilst watching Man U v Newcastle this afternoon on Telly the commentator said that Kevin Keegan has very little input as to which players the club sign ,Dennis Wise has the remit for identifying and signing players. KK's Job is to work with the players he is given and mould them into Newcastle United.

Whilst watching Man U v Newcastle this afternoon on Telly the commentator said that Kevin Keegan has very little input as to which players the club sign ,Dennis Wise has the remit for identifying and signing players. KK's Job is to work with the players he is given and mould them into Newcastle United.

In his interview with Sir David Frost on sky recently Ferguson said that the most important person at the club is the manager (as you would expect a manager to say!) and he must have control over player issues. He has been quite successful I gather.

In his interview with Sir David Frost on sky recently Ferguson said that the most important person at the club is the manager (as you would expect a manager to say!) and he must have control over player issues. He has been quite successful I gather.

Would it not be a little odd for a manager to say that actually the most important person at the club is the first-team coach?? Or the bus-driver?? Just a thought... ;)

(Although I have to say that I agree 100% with him (and you) - but ask a fish-monger to recommend dinner and he's hardly likely to suggest bangers and mash is he... :) )

Did it sound to anyone else that, that article was complete BS? From the interview yesterday over Davies JP clearly knew nothing of the transfer in fact saying he knew "nothing" about it 2 seperate occassions! Just fecks me off that the club feel the need to lie over it and accredit quotes to him.

Call me cynical, but if you compare Poortvliets language in that OS article to his pre-season Daily Echo interviews... his grasp of the English language has improved no end over the last couple of weeks.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/articles/article.php?page_id=10453

Am I the only one worried about some of his comments ?

Firstly, it looks like we will be stuck with limited striker substitution options if we always have to have an extra defender on the bench to account for Killer. Considering he only plays one-up-front, this sounds suicidal to me.

Secondly, he seems to have no grasp on the Andrew Davies situation

Finally, is it wise to make these odd comments about Dyer and BWP in public ?

No you are not. But you are the first to post any negative comments.

As soon as Killer proves his fitness I'm sure things will change.

Maybe he actually does know about Andrew Davies (which he almost certainly does) but can't actually comment. not just for club politics but also player.

Maybe he should maybe he shouldn't comment about BWP & ND there may be cultural differences (which as someone living overseas you may also be sensitive to?).

From a personal perspective I saw the best football at St Mary's for several years at yesterdays game.

HOW'S ABOUT GETTING YOUR A*SE DOWN TO A GAME BEFORE WHINING RELENTLESSLY ON ABOUT ALL THE THINGS THAT ARE WRONG AND SEE HOW MUCH IS RIGHT?

I'm not saying every thing is rosy, but the death march is very premature!

For me the glass is 3/4 full.

My God. There's such a whiff of conspiracy and paranoia, it's like dinner round David Icke's place. The next thing I'll hear is that our first team is being abducted by aliens, one by one, beamed up from the centre circle.

Alpine, you are right in a sense that our club is getting cut back to the bone and that the "manager" is not being given the chance to manage - but that's what we have all come to expect. Lowe himself warned many years ago that clubs who go into the red are effectively managed by the banks. Forget the board, you might as well ask Barclays who will be playing next weekend. Welcome to F**kedville, Population: Us.

The only way we'll get out of this hole is to find someone to buy us - and to be frank, as the economy is currently as f**ked as the Georgian army, there is little chance of us getting bought out by anyone other than LifeLongDreamer. So it's plan B - at least balance the books.

You hate it. I hate it. We all hate it. But there is little alternative. If you want to go out with a bang, try having a candlelit dinner with dynamite. I'd rather we stay out of administration instead.

And on another point, can we all stop the ridiculous over-analysing of things? First we had dissections of Crouch's statements to the fans, then an analysis of whether Nigel Pearson shouts too much from the touchline. Now Poortvliet shouts too little, or uses different words than he did a few months ago etc. etc. Can't we all just watch the sport? If I wanted my sport analysed to death, I'd have picked cricket.

From the Times today:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article4553387.ece

It just confirms what we knew already IMO.

Yep, that journalists do not report on games as they occur, simply as befits their story...

It's a sad state of affairs when even the Times resort to tabloid journalism... and a sadder reflection on the buying public...

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/articles/article.php?page_id=10453

Am I the only one worried about some of his comments ?

Firstly, it looks like we will be stuck with limited striker substitution options if we always have to have an extra defender on the bench to account for Killer. Considering he only plays one-up-front, this sounds suicidal to me.

Secondly, he seems to have no grasp on the Andrew Davies situation

Finally, is it wise to make these odd comments about Dyer and BWP in public ?

1. I struggled to find the word "always" in his statement about Killer. It's kind of standard to have a substitute if you have doubts about a player's fitness. If the manager believes that it is better to risk a not-fully-fit player than to start with one who is not so good, that's his prerogative. He sees the players training all week, we don't.

2. I agree. But it doesn't change the fact that we need to sell players and some of those players will the ones that we, as fans, want to keep. It's a shame but just carping on about it isn't going to change the financial reality.

3. He's absolutely right. I like this telling it how it is style. It's in complete contrast to the "everything is OK, trust me" approach of George Burley and very refreshing and may cause our more senior players (those who are left) to think about their approach. It would be different if he were publicly criticising one of the kids in their first couple of games.

Yep, that journalists do not report on games as they occur, simply as befits their story...

It's a sad state of affairs when even the Times resort to tabloid journalism... and a sadder reflection on the buying public...

Report in today's Guardian here - pretty balanced I'd say. Certainly reflects the comments from most on here who were at the game on Saturday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/18/championship.southampton

Report in today's Guardian here - pretty balanced I'd say. Certainly reflects the comments from most on here who were at the game on Saturday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/18/championship.southampton

I like the way Phillips describes football supporters as "fickle". Of course, we're the ones who go and support other clubs at the waving of a fistfull of fivers. The players stay loyal.