Football Manager 2021

Matthew Le God

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2020 at 23:07, Fabrice29 said:

Not sure if I'm doing really well or whether the game is broke but I have 4 games left and after drafting Long in after an early injury crisis he's currently top PL scorer with 26 goals in 25 games.

I've just started playing myself and Long's got 5 goals in 2 games so far, after banging in 11 goals in 5 substitute appearances in pre-season! 

Even more bizarre though is Redmond hitting a hat-trick and getting a perfect 10 score in my second game... how can that ever happen

Definitely something amiss ha!  Albeit I'm really enjoying the match engine this year. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think the match engine is heavily biased towards physical and mental attributes which is why Long is so effective.

Pace and acceleration seem particularly valuable for strikers, it's almost as bad as FIFA in that respect.

Hope they fix the rating bug for fullbacks and get the game to correctly track key tackles as at the moment my KWP and Bertrand are both averaging around 6.5 while Valery is somehow on 6.8. Apparently the ratings for fullbacks were broken during the last update. The only reliable way to boost them is to have them set to take corners.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

21.3 Main Winter Update Changelist (including, but not limited to):

Database and Research
- Over 3.7 million updates reflect real life, including (but not limited to) transfers, managerial changes, and player attributes

Stability and Technical
- Number of stability fixes and improvements

Gameplay
- Further improvements to total player count and number of newgens generated in youth intakes
- Number of improvements to keeping player promises
- Re-enabled option to ask board for Reserve/U23 team
- Improvements to Club Vision logic
- Tweaked logic to make user manager appointments more realistic
- Fixed press conference questions being asked incorrectly following certain results
- Recruitment meetings being driven more by agreed club visions
- 'Interest in transfer' filter player search fix for when user manager changes clubs
- Improvements to staff given non-playing staff appointment responsibilities
- Newgen staff now correctly having second nationalities set
- Improved transfer logic for MLS teams at game start
- Improved MLS teams salary cap management 

Match Engine 21.6.0
- Further balancing of player ratings across both full and quick match engines
- Number of improvements and fixes to match stats, including key tackles, clear-cut chances and interceptions
- Improved goalkeeper distribution when set tactically via instructions
- Improvements to assistant advice during pre-game build up and matches 

Competitions and Rule Groups*
- Removed salary cap for EFL League One and Two
- AI teams making better player registration choices in England
- Fix for user not being able to register squad changes
- Champions Cup sub rules corrected for second knock-out round
- Fixed incorrect age restriction appearing in Germany
- Improvements to MLS transfer window and roster freeze dates
- Added MLS 2021 Schedule dates and updated Superdraft process
- Fixed incorrect Serie C and D teams appearing in Italian Cup in 2020/21
- Updated structure in India for 2020-21 season
- Various Brazilian state championship updates
- Resolved Portuguese transfer window and registration window end date mismatch
- Resolved French transfer window and registration window end date mismatch 

User Interface
- Added assist details to the goal caption in matches
- Fix for blank speech bubble appearing when discussing broken promise with player
- Sent off player now clearly shown during team talks
- Fixed rare issue where goal captions could get stuck on screen
- Fixed team beaten in the cup incorrectly displaying as the previous winner
- Addressed issue where users unable to return to team talk after entering tactics at half-time 

Pre-Game Editor
- Enable users to be able to search by player attributes
- Fixed warning when verifying any advanced European club continental rules file 

Network Games
- Fixes for mid-term draft process in Fantasy Draft
- Fix for clients being able to set highlights level outside those set by host 

*In some instances, changes to competitions, rules and registrations will require starting a new game to come into effect.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

21.3 Main Winter Update Changelist (including, but not limited to):

Database and Research
- Over 3.7 million updates reflect real life, including (but not limited to) transfers, managerial changes, and player attributes

Stability and Technical
- Number of stability fixes and improvements

Gameplay
- Further improvements to total player count and number of newgens generated in youth intakes
- Number of improvements to keeping player promises
- Re-enabled option to ask board for Reserve/U23 team
- Improvements to Club Vision logic
- Tweaked logic to make user manager appointments more realistic
- Fixed press conference questions being asked incorrectly following certain results
- Recruitment meetings being driven more by agreed club visions
- 'Interest in transfer' filter player search fix for when user manager changes clubs
- Improvements to staff given non-playing staff appointment responsibilities
- Newgen staff now correctly having second nationalities set
- Improved transfer logic for MLS teams at game start
- Improved MLS teams salary cap management 

Match Engine 21.6.0
- Further balancing of player ratings across both full and quick match engines
- Number of improvements and fixes to match stats, including key tackles, clear-cut chances and interceptions
- Improved goalkeeper distribution when set tactically via instructions
- Improvements to assistant advice during pre-game build up and matches 

Competitions and Rule Groups*
- Removed salary cap for EFL League One and Two
- AI teams making better player registration choices in England
- Fix for user not being able to register squad changes
- Champions Cup sub rules corrected for second knock-out round
- Fixed incorrect age restriction appearing in Germany
- Improvements to MLS transfer window and roster freeze dates
- Added MLS 2021 Schedule dates and updated Superdraft process
- Fixed incorrect Serie C and D teams appearing in Italian Cup in 2020/21
- Updated structure in India for 2020-21 season
- Various Brazilian state championship updates
- Resolved Portuguese transfer window and registration window end date mismatch
- Resolved French transfer window and registration window end date mismatch 

User Interface
- Added assist details to the goal caption in matches
- Fix for blank speech bubble appearing when discussing broken promise with player
- Sent off player now clearly shown during team talks
- Fixed rare issue where goal captions could get stuck on screen
- Fixed team beaten in the cup incorrectly displaying as the previous winner
- Addressed issue where users unable to return to team talk after entering tactics at half-time 

Pre-Game Editor
- Enable users to be able to search by player attributes
- Fixed warning when verifying any advanced European club continental rules file 

Network Games
- Fixes for mid-term draft process in Fantasy Draft
- Fix for clients being able to set highlights level outside those set by host 

*In some instances, changes to competitions, rules and registrations will require starting a new game to come into effect.

Thanks for this. Do you know if this is likely to be the last update to the match engine?  I’m thinking of starting a new game but want to wait until they’ve finished messing with it.  

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

Thanks for this. Do you know if this is likely to be the last update to the match engine?  I’m thinking of starting a new game but want to wait until they’ve finished messing with it.  

There won't be any more major changes and the database is set now until FM22. Potentially some 'hot fixes' if required.

You may as well start a new game now. 👍 

• Like 1

On 26/02/2021 at 04:30, skintsaint said:

we will have a strong squad for that promotion push.

When is the release date for FM22? Normally gives me an idea of when the big discount for FM21 will be and I'll get it.

FM22 will be out in circa November 2021. Discounts for FM21 have already come and gone, more will happen in Steam sales.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Fingers crossed for a decent drop in the Steam Easter sales.

You can play it via Xbox game pass ultimate, which will allow you to install and play the game on pc, albeit not on steam I believe.

if you’ve not used game pass ultimate before you can get 3 months for £1.  I would guess Save’s would then be compatible if you buy a steam copy later but don’t know for sure

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/cfq7ttc0khs0?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to loading CM 2021 up on my laptop last week (I've been in an epic game of FM2008 for ages). I am starting off with the Touch version before I delve into the main game and all the micromanagement that goes with it.

So far? I'm in 2023, Gao has given me shed loads of money to spend, I signed Nketiah who has scored 50 goals in one season, signed St-Maximin for a club record £35 million fee, won 2 Carabao cups on the trot and the Euro 2 cup, Che Adams has 16 assists and 20 goals as we marched to 6th in the league, and I have also signed 2 wonderkids. Oh and Burnley just bid £13 million for N'Lundulu and I haven't even played him.

I hope the main game is more realistic! 😁

7 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Finally got around to loading CM 2021 up on my laptop last week (I've been in an epic game of FM2008 for ages). I am starting off with the Touch version before I delve into the main game and all the micromanagement that goes with it.

So far? I'm in 2023, Gao has given me shed loads of money to spend, I signed Nketiah who has scored 50 goals in one season, signed St-Maximin for a club record £35 million fee, won 2 Carabao cups on the trot and the Euro 2 cup, Che Adams has 16 assists and 20 goals as we marched to 6th in the league, and I have also signed 2 wonderkids. Oh and Burnley just bid £13 million for N'Lundulu and I haven't even played him.

I hope the main game is more realistic! 😁

I actually won the Champions League with Southampton in 2022/2023. Finished 4th twice on the trot. Won the FA Cup, Carabao Cup, Community Shield.

Same as you with Adams - 30 goals I got out of him. JWP got 25 assists. Redmond got 20 goals FFS?  One really sound buy I got is Christan Pavon from Boca - get him early on for like 5-7m, absolute player coming off of the left, full of goals. Jiri Pavlenka in goal from Werder Bremen is also £7m you will never regret spending. 

The stats seem a tiny bit skewed. Can't seem to get anything from Ings, maybe 10 goals if I'm lucky. Armstrong is also a non-player for me, doesn't do anything and I end up selling him for like £5m to West Brom. I also sold N'Lundulu for £15m to a German side, and I'd never played him either. I used that money to buy Pavon - win, win.

Edited by S-Clarke

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I actually won the Champions League with Southampton in 2022/2023. Finished 4th twice on the trot. Won the FA Cup, Carabao Cup, Community Shield.

Same as you with Adams - 30 goals I got out of him. JWP got 25 assists. Redmond got 20 goals FFS?  One really sound buy I got is Christan Pavon from Boca - get him early on for like 5-7m, absolute player coming off of the left, full of goals. Jiri Pavlenka in goal from Werder Bremen is also £7m you will never regret spending. 

The stats seem a tiny bit skewed. Can't seem to get anything from Ings, maybe 10 goals if I'm lucky. Armstrong is also a non-player for me, doesn't do anything and I end up selling him for like £5m to West Brom. I also sold N'Lundulu for £15m to a German side, and I'd never played him either. I used that money to buy Pavon - win, win.

Yep about 10 goals from Ings in the first season, but it was still enough for Spurs to come in and buy him for £65 million...

If only it were real life... 

This is my first new FM since FM13 surprisingly (except on iPad I did have the basic version a few years ago), as I went a few years without a working computer and then discovered old incarnations of the game when I finally did get one. The holy grail was finding my Grandad's old laptop in my mum's house (he died circa 2008, the laptop had been purchased around 2006) which she 'inherited' and then never used, then realising my old CM2003 disc worked on it. That was my favourite game of all, Beattie, Pahars and 30 goal a season Ormerod would easily win you the Prem without signing anyone!

• 2 weeks later...

MLG, any idea if you can edit the stadiums using the ingame editor? Currently a Hampshire Premier Team but the stadium has four stands.

I've changed the stadium capacity and rating but nothings changed. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is quite fun. It's sort of like an alternate world mod, it has most of the players from the top divisions in 1990-91 season, but the year is still 2020-21 as they can't alter the start date.

Some of the attributes are a bit off, but it's still fun to manage a team with a front 3 of Shearer, Wallace, and Le Tissier.

https://www.passion4fm.com/football-manager-1990-91-retro-regens-database/

Managed to win Div 1 in my first season, Rod Wallace managed more than 40 league goals (along with 11 in 10 caps for England) but got unsettled at the beginning of the second season, so I started playing Kevin Phillips instead, who promptly scored 9 in 4 games.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It also has 'real' players set to spawn as newgens up until present day, so Bridge, Walcott, Bale etc. will appear in the youth intake eventually.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...