New Nike ball 2020

de-Griz

I'm interested to know opinions of how the new ball may or may not have had an affect on the game; has it had a positive effect on some and negative on others? Average goals/game 2020 is 3.29 so far, next highest was 2011-12 of 2.81. I used to play with a brown lace up leather ball that was suicidal to head if it was raining and the ball had soaked up the water.

3 hours ago, de-Griz said:

I used to play with a brown lace up leather ball that was suicidal to head if it was raining and the ball had soaked up the water.

Ah,the Mitre Match "T" Ball memories. You could hardly kick it either when it was wet.

Modern footballs, pah. You can't beat the good ol' 1970/1974 World Cup Adidas Telstar. A straight forward black and white 32 panel leather ball, a joy to behold.

And you've never headed a ball until you've had several layers of skin removed from your forehead by the abrasive, coarse-sandpaper-like texture of a Wembley Trophy whilst playing in the street.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

It’s surely more to do with the ‘technology’ used in the ball than the weight? Pretty sure there’s a fairly small weight range that balls have to be within. 

Think I read once that the newer balls were slightly heavier than the old laced balls when dry. Newer balls don't soak in the wet so stay at a consistent weight where as the old laced one could break your neck when heading on a wet day!